Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
dont climb on top of mortars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Spudd posted:

The higher difficulties aren't for me at the moment, I do have all the strats but I have so much more fun playing in the 4 to 6 difficulty bracket than the higher ones

Getting surrounded by 3 bile titans is a very impressive sight but not superbfun to play in for me

Honestly on an actual Threat scale Bile Titans are not that dangerous imo, they're just very tough. Its usually trying to deal with it while dealing with all the other bugs that gets ya.

Packs of Sneaky bile spewers/nursery spewers and surprise-Chargers are way more dangerous than a BT that telegraphs its vomit extremely slowly, and can be interrupted out of said vomit while you lazily strafe in another direction. If you manage to destroy their abdomen they can't even vomit anymore.

BeAuMaN posted:

afaik it does work. But the only thing that gives difficult terrain is... jungles?

Might it work on every plant/terrain that slows you maybe? The desert/prairie planets have those goddamn space-cholla cacti that slow you, and snow planet has.. well.. snow. The bog planets have mud that slows you too.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

The issue I have with Titans is someone drops a stratagem but you can see the Titan will walk past. You need to run up and bait it into an attack or do something that might make it flinch or turn on the spot. It's the worst when the level effects are increased call down time, because you might be waiting 15 seconds for a bomb to arrive.

I think the slow booster only has an impact on stuff that says slow or slowing on the screen, which I think also makes it helpful against spitter bugs? Haven't confirmed that though. I feel like way more people would use it if that were the case since protection against slow effects is one of the benefits of stims.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 2, 2024

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

dont climb on top of mortars

no, do it. it will also kill people nearby

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Alright I took a laser cannon on a mission for a laugh and aimed it at a tank's weakspot and the tank just kinda shivered and exploded. Is this thing actually useful or did someone else blow up the tank

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

bandaid.friend posted:

Alright I took a laser cannon on a mission for a laugh and aimed it at a tank's weakspot and the tank just kinda shivered and exploded. Is this thing actually useful or did someone else blow up the tank

Robot weakspots are actually weakspots unlike the bugs if you have something that does not deflect (and deals more damage than an assault rifle). So it may actually be possible the laser cannon does good work on an armored heat vent... Even though I am pretty sure they still bounce off walkers?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

TheMostFrench posted:

The issue I have with Titans is someone drops a stratagem but you can see the Titan will walk past. You need to run up and bait it into an attack or do something that might make it flinch or turn on the spot. It's the worst when the level effects are increased call down time, because you might be waiting 15 seconds for a bomb to arrive.

I think the slow booster only has an impact on stuff that says slow or slowing on the screen, which I think also makes it helpful against spitter bugs? Haven't confirmed that though. I feel like way more people would use it if that were the case since protection against slow effects is one of the benefits of stims.

Okay but you need this to happen for the flipside to also happen. Getting the timing right on a 500kg/SEAF mini-nuke so it lands right on top of a titan is one of the most satisfying stratagem moments in the game precisely because its so easy to gently caress up

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Section Z posted:

Robot weakspots are actually weakspots unlike the bugs if you have something that does not deflect (and deals more damage than an assault rifle). So it may actually be possible the laser cannon does good work on an armored heat vent... Even though I am pretty sure they still bounce off walkers?

The confusing thing is, it definitely hits the tank vent, but bounces off the mortar vent

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
https://i.imgur.com/I1zAI8C.mp4

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

TheMostFrench posted:

Fun fact: strategem balls will stick to personal shields. You can toss a ball up, "catch" it with your shield, run under a titan and juke it while youre under it. Then either drop the backpack and GTFO, hope your shield lets you survive, or become a martyr for democracy.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Had a helldive op run with a single pub a couple hours ago and this guy could not run away from a fight. Just engaging with every single bug breach 100% of the time, dieing multiple times to each, less than 10% time left one each mission.

I'm still having fun playing around with different loadouts but shield/breaker/railgun still feels pretty mandatory when your teammates will guarantee a dozen bile titans and three dozen chargers. Ems and gas orbitals make for a pretty strong combo though, makes breaches and big bug nests extra safe. Also great for getting away from swarms. The airburst and gattling strategems and nice for thinning the herd too.

I still really only use turrets on defense missions but ems and cannon turrets can do work pretty much anywhere. The cannon really needs open space or decent placement though, ems will work in the middle of a forrest where the cannon is worthless. I feel like the rocket turret is about the same as the cannon except its way more likely to kill me and my teammates. Both the cannon and the rocket turret really benefit from that third ship upgrade that lets them turn more quickly.

Been doing a lot pf bugs over the past couple of days with the global orders up, kinda excited to get back to bots and experiment with anything other than the breaker. Had that slugger unlocked and sitting in my armory for a while now. Incendiary grenade sure is shining against the bugs though, the only area where its lacking is it doesn't blow open the large container doors you find buried in the dirt.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I got the laser cannon the other day and tried it on bugs, it deflected off a charger and cut a friend in half. A+ will take again.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

eagle cluster is good against bug hordes but you will kill your teammates while you learn the range on it

It goes perpendicular to the line you threw it on, right? Or does the bouncing of the beacon make it kinda random

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Fishstick posted:

Honestly on an actual Threat scale Bile Titans are not that dangerous imo, they're just very tough. Its usually trying to deal with it while dealing with all the other bugs that gets ya.

Packs of Sneaky bile spewers/nursery spewers and surprise-Chargers are way more dangerous than a BT that telegraphs its vomit extremely slowly, and can be interrupted out of said vomit while you lazily strafe in another direction. If you manage to destroy their abdomen they can't even vomit anymore.

yeah, they're kinda nice actually since they also tend to tower over all the rocks, dust cloud, mists and poo poo that blocks los or weakspots on other enemies completely.

also railgun destroys them surprisingly fast and more satisfying as wondering for 3 seconds after hitting if the bug is dead or just weirdly ragdolling.

unfortunately they're usually together with all the spewers and chargers.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Did helldivers 1 ever put more than one enemy team on the same map? It would be cool to get caught in a crossfire.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Does anyone else have the Rapid Launch System upgrade (removes deployment time from emplacement stratagems)? From what I can tell, it is literally nonfunctional and does nothing, I still have a 4s deployment time on mines and MG emplacement

Tried as host and as client

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

SHISHKABOB posted:

It goes perpendicular to the line you threw it on, right? Or does the bouncing of the beacon make it kinda random
It's perpendicular, but I'm pretty sure the line gets determined by your current position and the stratagem ball's when it hits solid ground and shows the red beam of light.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

FunkyFjord posted:

Had a helldive op run with a single pub a couple hours ago and this guy could not run away from a fight.

A true Patriot.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'm seriously tempted to start team killing pubbie mortar turrets. Seeing someone put one down when we have chargers coming in is just a recipe for a dozen dead Helldivers.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fangz posted:

I'm seriously tempted to start team killing pubbie mortar turrets. Seeing someone put one down when we have chargers coming in is just a recipe for a dozen dead Helldivers.
While I have not tried to destroy turrets on purpose yet, don't do this with a grenade launcher because you might get everyone mad at you instead. When your grenade killed somebody as a turret popped up in front of your shot.

Maybe this karma is why I am rewarded for defending ally mortar turrets surrounded by bugs. "I only ragdolled alive, this is fine!"

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
So long as a pubbie calls out that the mortar is live i dont mind them. I can compensate generally by keeping more distance. Admittedly chargers make that harder but not impossible.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I don’t like mortars on bug missions for that reason. I like them on bot missions.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
I love mortars. They have obscene ammo compared to the other sentries and they are generally a lot stronger due to the fact you can place them way further back.
I will however not take them on bug missions. Excluding EMS of course, which seems elite against bugs.

Also +1 the idea of fighting multiple factions on the same map. That sounds like it would be cool.

Fangz posted:

Feel free. This is a legit option. I've killed my own and other mortars to keep us alive. I placed it once we were up to the stage of rescuing civilians and I realised it was just stalling us and costing requisition (and also murdered 2 teammates).

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

KingKapalone posted:

I need explanation on mission selection stuff. What does quick play do?

I've been choosing a front, going to a hostile planet, and then I see operations with multiple missions or other missions that people are already in. I get an error every time I try to join one of those that already have people in them. That has left us with choosing an operation.

Is there a way to always fill them? Only seems like a quarter of a time that anyone else joins us.

Reposting this. Thanks.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

IIRC the Creative Director, Pilestedt, said that the game is more likely to be bottlenecked by CPU than GPU since they do a lot of simulating various things (like angle of impact for armor deflecting shots).

i have a Ryzen 9 5950X which is loving beefy but amd doesnt always play nice so maybe thats it, ill just hope for future optimization patches i guess

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

KingKapalone posted:

I need explanation on mission selection stuff. What does quick play do?

I've been choosing a front, going to a hostile planet, and then I see operations with multiple missions or other missions that people are already in. I get an error every time I try to join one of those that already have people in them. That has left us with choosing an operation.

Is there a way to always fill them? Only seems like a quarter of a time that anyone else joins us.

Matchmaking is a little glitchy.

I either choose an operation or use quick play otherwise I get an error joining stuff on the map.

Sometimes people don’t seem to be able to join your lobbies/games. Changing host or restarting sometimes helps. Throwing the SOS beacon sometimes helps, sometimes doesn’t.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

suddenly samus

https://i.imgur.com/Bn762Bu.mp4

A+ physics engine

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

Did helldivers 1 ever put more than one enemy team on the same map? It would be cool to get caught in a crossfire.

I don't think so but also the most lore-appropriate thing to happen would be all the enemy factions band together to form a space NATO to try and protect themselves from Super Earth, so no crossfire

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
a loading screen tip said that bots are affected by suppressive fire and will become less accurate the more you shoot at them, is this true?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

This explains some of the seeming inconsistencies we're seeing. Would be nice if the weapon stats said how weapons actually perform.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Spookydonut posted:

a loading screen tip said that bots are affected by suppressive fire and will become less accurate the more you shoot at them, is this true?

It has to be a weapon that can actually harm them, but yes.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Don't be like me, and save up your medals because you're indecisive, only to hit an arbitrary cap that the UI never actually warns you about. Probably missed most of the medals from Veld because of it

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Don't be like me, and save up your medals because you're indecisive, only to hit an arbitrary cap that the UI never actually warns you about. Probably missed most of the medals from Veld because of it
What's the cap?

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

With the rumors of a breaker nerf I've been playing with all of the other guns a lot to see what else I would use if it suddenly sucked but have now replaced it.

I won't post an elaborate breakdown on the pros and cons of each choice because I've had to sit through hours of gun arguments in-game already. It's subjective and there are trade offs so just use everything and find out what works best for you. Different capabilities appeal differently so the arguments will never end as different people like different things.

In terms of Breaker I personally think the Scorcher is equivalent for bots and the Jar-5 Dominator is equivalent for bugs. I can explain why if anyone cares but I just suggest using them a mission or two.

It's mainly down to the scorcher's range against bots and the Jar-5 quickly killing hive guardians through their plates because I really loving hate hive guardians.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

ErKeL posted:

What's the cap?

The current caps are 500 Common Samples, 250 Rare Samples, 100 Super Samples, 50,000 Requisition and 250 Warbond Medals.

Rectal Death Alert fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 2, 2024

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Someone said theres something leaked thatll resupply sentries? If thats true id be pretty happy

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Scorcher needs med pen imo

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

LuciferMorningstar posted:

This explains some of the seeming inconsistencies we're seeing. Would be nice if the weapon stats said how weapons actually perform.

I am wishing already the moment some hardcore fan datamines the weapons stats and people figure out how things work. There are some puzzling poo poo in this game with how armor, weak points behind the armor, vulnerable-but-not-weak-points areas and weapon types (non explosive, explosive, armor penetrating or not...) interacts.

From that tweet it seems there are three possible things it can happen against armored bits:
-0 damage (ricochets)
-50% damage (pen value = armor value)
-100% damage (pen value > armor value).

It would be nice to at least have a second, 'advanced' tutorial, there are tons of little things and systems that the game doesn't teach you, and you have to learn the ropes on your own in the first dozne games.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm of the firm belief that the revolver should have medium armor pen, it being a real handcannon would give it a niche

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Revolver either needs +50% damage or speedloaders. Both would be excessive but it shouldn't both fail to kill a single hive guardian in a full cylinder to the face and also reload as slowly as the recoilless rifle.

Yeah you can fire it mid-reload but having 2-3 underwhelming bullets available doesn't really change anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

AnEdgelord posted:

I'm of the firm belief that the revolver should have medium armor pen, it being a real handcannon would give it a niche
Yeah the revolver was a real dissapointment when I unlocked it, but then again the last shooter I played was Darktide whose revolver is :discourse: