Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

He's right though, one or two lines from a guildsman telling the emperor to shut the gently caress up and he isn't bluffing was all there was in the book anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh also Paul gets stabbed right in his brachial artery and walks it off.

He then takes out the knife with his left hand, transfers it to his right through lovely Feyd and without lovely Feyd noticing and stabs him.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Has there even been a goon rewrite that wasn't demonstrably much worse than the original

not in living nor ancestral memory

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The Geidi Prime stuff was absolutely stunning, probably the most emotionally inducive art direction in a movie in decades in my opinion. The imperial court was mildly disappointing in comparison.

Very excited to see what Villeneuve does with the guild navigators.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I wonder if the Imperial court being so lame was a choice. It was underwhelming to say the least

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Arglebargle III posted:

I wonder if the Imperial court being so lame was a choice. It was underwhelming to say the least

feel like the imperial emissaries had more presence in 1

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i liked it, especially as such a direct contrast to Giedi Prime's grand monumental Giger power displays. the emperor's rule is personal and he has the luxury of pretending to be a nice old man puttering around a garden, the only person he gives a poo poo about is his daughter, the exercise of power seems to often happen in rooms with just the two of them, and this is the exact lever paul has to use to win.

also it's been a while since i've seen 1 but between the out-of-armor sardaukar and pugh's final costume, they really leaned into the Crusader Knight theming with them this time

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 2, 2024

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Been trying to decide if I should make my first viewing at the normal-sized arthouse, where I know the other viewers will know how to behave themselves during a movie, or see it first in IMAX (a true, full-sized full-everything IMAX), where there's a higher risk of people being obnoxious. There's no other factor other than I have to wait until next week, at earliest, for the IMAX one, since it's sold out.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Honestly I'd say this a movie that completely justifies IMAX. I'm sorely tempted to see it a second time just so I can IMAX it too.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

single-mode fiber posted:

Been trying to decide if I should make my first viewing at the normal-sized arthouse, where I know the other viewers will know how to behave themselves during a movie, or see it first in IMAX (a true, full-sized full-everything IMAX), where there's a higher risk of people being obnoxious. There's no other factor other than I have to wait until next week, at earliest, for the IMAX one, since it's sold out.

i saw RRR at alamo drafthouse and the guy next to me kept chucklefucking under his breath and muttering "noooo" it was like Chinese water torture

go to imax fool

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah it's worth it in IMAX, like every Villeneuve movie.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I saw it at long last. I know everyone's excited for my take

The weirdest departure for me was cucked Chani riding off. The book handled that better IMO

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Scags McDouglas posted:

I saw it at long last. I know everyone's excited for my take

The weirdest departure for me was cucked Chani riding off. The book handled that better IMO

That was the one change that fell a bit flat for me too, but less so in the context of the changes to the character up to that point (ie actual agency and motivation outside of being a prop for Paul), and especially less so if there’s a third movie.

After I watched part 1 I went and watched a fan cut of the Lynch movie. I think this time I’m going to go rewatch the Sci-fi series. Denis’s Dune is the grandiose scale I imagined from the book, which the series is obviously lacking, but I do wonder how the series holds up to my memory in terms of being a straight adaptation.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Absolutely loved this. I thought it was a hell of a lot better than the first - which I thought was great, but ultimately it was 150 minutes of setup for this much better movie. The way the first one was paced and ended actually scarred me a bit - as I spent the whole last hour wondering if they were going to cut to black and leave the finale for part 3. Every time there was a big swelling moment (of which there were loving loads) I was hoping I wasn't about to see Denis Villeneuve's name.

It probably helps that I read the book over a decade ago and don't remember it too well so I could just sit back and enjoy the big worms. Paul learning to worm ride and being absolutely blasted with sand and wind and the finale are two of the best things I've seen in a cinema in recent memory.

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

the way Feyd mockingly repeats Paul’s “may your knife chip and shatter” line was so good.

Attention to detail can be seen in every frame of this movie

aledesma fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 2, 2024

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Highlight of the movie was the Giedi Prime goop fireworks.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Austin Butler as Feyd is a perfect adaptation too, for a character who doesn't get that much screentime, he steals every scene he's in and just projects complete malevolence constantly.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Austin Butler as Feyd is a perfect adaptation too, for a character who doesn't get that much screentime, he steals every scene he's in and just projects complete malevolence constantly.

I love how he channeled Skarsgård's performance at points. There were a few times where the camera was off him and I almost thought it was the Baron speaking.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

fishing with the fam posted:

They were great, as was that enormous corridor lit through the windows by the light splatter.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

fishing with the fam posted:

What was going on with the sun and lighting? It was a really cool visual but I have no idea what it was supposed to be

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

What was going on with the sun and lighting? It was a really cool visual but I have no idea what it was supposed to be

They mention in one line that Giedi Prime's sun is black. So it'd bleach out all colour.

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

https://youtu.be/3mbBbFH9fAg?si=nmixgMFYqNZDyVXt

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

disposablewords posted:

The spectrum of possible futures as physical features is just plainly the metaphor Herbert used so :shrug:

Also the Golden Path isn't something the BGs planned, they just wanted their pet superman. Them maintaining control is one of the things that would lead to stagnation.

Paul isn't walking a literal road made of metal, so the golden path is a metaphor to him too.

That's what the atreides believe, Mohiam et al think otherwise. I think it's important to remember we don't see any proof of whose beliefs are correct - we see them victorious, and of course they believe their internal justifications. Their anxiety over 'stagnation' makes sense too; they're all inbreed mutants of a feuding aristocracy!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm trying to think of a physical explanation for that and drawing a blank. It looks like the light is so intense that we're seeing the fireworks flames as just shadows in the bright sunlight.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Blood Boils posted:

Paul isn't walking a literal road made of metal, so the golden path is a metaphor to him too.

That's what the atreides believe, Mohiam et al think otherwise. I think it's important to remember we don't see any proof of whose beliefs are correct - we see them victorious, and of course they believe their internal justifications. Their anxiety over 'stagnation' makes sense too; they're all inbreed mutants of a feuding aristocracy!

"Metaphor," "ideology," and "belief" aren't all the same word. Of course it's not a literal road made of metal, you're just misrepresenting what I said.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

The way I interpreted that whole scene was that Paul could see the future and thereby managed to be (deliberately?) stabbed (twice!) in a non-lethal place. Feyd-Rautha never had a chance.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

How can the Golden Path be ideological if you have no free will. It's the one series of events that doesn't lead to extinction, the choice is follow it or accept extinction. It's utterly pre-determined, that's the horror of being the Kwisatz Haderach and the hubris of the BG for ever thinking they could control it.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
ok had some more thoughts after seeing it for a third time:

The change in Jessica's Voice was suitably creepy ("All of us")

The Harkonnen desert suits looked so cool, those little fans in the back. Same for the sun visor we see on that ornithopter pilot

I only realised on this watch that the imperial court on Arrakis was part of the ship - I thought the cables were just a lift but that's how it gets lowered down.

when Paul drinks the water of life, he sees the killing blow he will deliver to Feyd-Rautha

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dmitri-9 posted:

Villeneuve likes him. Not all wrestlers have star power and they are also very cartoony. Bautista brings the menace that feels genuine. One analogy I can think of is Sabertooth from the X-Men, Liev Schreiber is a lot better than some rando wrestler from the first movie. You are right that a lot of other brute actors could replace him.
I get your point, and loyalty is something of a rare thing in Hollywood, so good on Denis and Bautista for sticking to it - but at the same time, I think Bautista can do better if challenged a bit more.

notenome posted:

As for prophecy and all, Herbert isn't a black or white kinda guy. The nature of prophecy is malleable in Dune because it's not outside human agency, which is what makes the characters monstrous in that they perceive themselves to be historical agents (this is the very explicit theme of the fourth book). According to Herbert Paul's arc in the three books is parabolic, he rejects, accepts and then rejects prophecy again.

As for the abruptness of the third act that a lot of people seem to dislike, Herbert is clearly echoing Dien Bien Phu, when the vietnamese did the impossibe and defeated a imperial power in detail in the field (obviously there's a lot more to it than just an allegory). It is interesting that science fiction media in the 60s and 70s (star wars) could see inspiration in the vietnamese, I don't think the same will happen with fiction in our present day and age with the Houthis or Taliban etc
That's Paul's arc over the first three books, not in the first movie, though - so are they taking it from a parabola into a wave pattern? :v:

I don't dislike the abruptness of the ending as much as I dislike how it didn't feel like it was earned.
What I mean is, in the book Paul's very clearly motivated by revenge not just because his father got killed by Baron Harkonnen (and the Emperor), but Leto II I got killed by Harkonnens too, which is what sends him over the edge, as it were.
In comparison, attacking the great houses for not recognizing his power-grab in DUNC 2, in my mind, isn't justified after he already got revenge on the Harkonnens and made Shaddam bow to him.

sebmojo posted:

Man that rocked. Agree about missing the spacing guild, i am disappointed about the lack of water discipline and the desert still doesn't actually look hot in any way, but otherwise that was exemplary. I kept thinking about things they cut, but then realising that actually it didn't make any difference not having them.
One thing that I quite liked was the contrast between the in-door and out-door scenes.

Carpet posted:

lolling again thinking about Chani teaching Paul how to properly sandwalk, and Paul going "well, back on Caladan I watched some YouTube tutorial videos and they said..."
I honestly expected more than just me and a couple of people to laugh at that in the cinema.

Arglebargle III posted:

But how can this be? Because he is the Kwisatz Hadarach!

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I honestly expected more than just me and a couple of people to laugh at that in the cinema.

Everybody laughed in our screening at this and a few other parts. I was surprised by the humor in the movie

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I get your point, and loyalty is something of a rare thing in Hollywood, so good on Denis and Bautista for sticking to it - but at the same time, I think Bautista can do better if challenged a bit more.

Dude wants to be a character actor, so he aims for the small roles in things with good directors and scripts.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If anyone's a cunning linguist, you might like the second part of this article.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Everybody laughed in our screening at this and a few other parts. I was surprised by the humor in the movie
Yeah, I dunno - I found it loving hilarious.

Monica Bellucci posted:

Dude wants to be a character actor, so he aims for the small roles in things with good directors and scripts.
I can respect that, but I still want him to do better, because I think he's capable of it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Just got out the cinema and I feel really disappointed with this. With part 1 I think he did a great job of trimming the plotlines down and compressing things to get to the core of the novel. But here it feels like he's cut out most of the plot and character dynamics.

The biggest casualty is Stilgar, who comes off like a cartoonish buffoon. We can expect to hear lots of comparisons to Life of Brain. And without his slow decline from pragmatic leader to religious follower I think the emotional weight of the movie gets completely gutted. And the removal of the ecological motives in favour of religious hope and fervour also hollows out Firemen culture, which makes *their* descent into religious obsession feel less tragic too.

The visuals were gorgeous, as expected. But I feel like the whole movie runs on vibes rather than story

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 2, 2024

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think I liked the aesthetics and feel of the first movie more. As this sorta dream-like experience. This was more of a movie-movie - it’s good though. Don’t get me wrong! And the 3 hours go by so fast. Prob one of the best sci-fi duologies (maybe trilogy!) in a long time.

Villeneuve is a master.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Oh one more thing that I noticed, before I watch it again on Thursday: the vision Paul has of him fighting the holy war in that Fremen battle armour, we actually see in Part 2 but it's Chani doing the badass fighting athletics. Feyd-Rautha also looked even more like Billy Corgan in that suit he wears when confronting Baron Harkonnen after the gladiator fight.

Carpet fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 2, 2024

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Just saw it, I never read the book. Saw the lynch adaptation before these recent adaptations.

I'm actually going to watch the mini-series now, because after the Denis adaptation, I want to see how that went.

On Part 2, I like it but at the end I wish I could've had captions because ,just spoiling in case, I didn't get why the emperor went to Arrakis to meet with the Harkkonens and why the other houses were gathering there too
And I don't know if some dialogue explaining it went by me so quick and I didn't hear or if it wasn't explained.

The sound in the imax theater, good lord. My body was rumbling. Like I think this is the first time I ever felt the sound system completely vibrating me. That was fun.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Miching Mallecho posted:

On Part 2, I like it but at the end I wish I could've had captions because ,just spoiling in case, I didn't get why the emperor went to Arrakis to meet with the Harkkonens and why the other houses were gathering there too
And I don't know if some dialogue explaining it went by me so quick and I didn't hear or if it wasn't explained.

It's not explained very well but Paul sent him a letter. We don't learn the contents.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

It's not explained very well but Paul sent him a letter. We don't learn the contents.

The great houses are there because the baron sends a message telling them that the emperor is attacking a house.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh yeah that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

saw it in imax 70mm this morning. it looked and sounded fantastic, but every story beat felt really rushed or like too much development happens off screen.

lady jessica using the voice felt overused and lacked impact when she's telling a servant or whatever to do something they would already do if she commanded them in a normal voice. wish there was more restraint on that.

there was also less ambiguity to anything, which i think made the first movie stronger for having more of it be dreamlike or shown in visions. in this one, any vision is immediately explained and described and chronological instead of lending any mystery to the experience. but then we also get character development that happens with no explanation really so it's jarring.

again, lady jessica turns into this reverend mother figure for the fundamentalists and has some evil plot(?) that we think is bad but then it's swept under the rug and she's on paul's side or he's on hers or whatever and it's all fine? idk. it felt a little disjointed.