Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021
NIKKI, IT’S TIME TO FOLD YOUR LOSING HAND
by Michael Reagan (AKA the turd demon spawn of the most overrated president in history) on February 29, 2024

Son of the worst president other than Trump posted:

OK, Nikki Haley.

Sing along with me, the Republican Party and the great Kenny Rogers:

You’ve got to know when to hold ’em,
know when to fold ’em,
Know when to walk away,
know when (NOT) to run.

It’s long past time for you to drop out of the race for the Republican Party’s 2024 presidential nomination.

You’ve been called repeatedly and you’ve still got a losing hand.

Donald Trump has humiliated your political butt in primaries across the U.S. But you still don’t know when to throw in your cards and just go away.

Ron DeSantis was smart enough to get out of the primary race before he made a fool of himself.

He knows he still has a future in the GOP, as governor of Florida or maybe even as Trump’s vice president.

But you are still busy burning your political bridges to nowhere.

When you were in that terrible Republican presidential primary debate last fall, I said you looked like you were doing an impression of a mad housewife, arguing with Sen. Tim Scott about drapes.

You changed, as I hoped you would, but it was for the worst.

Now you’re apparently running an “I told you so” campaign.

You want to be able to wake up this Nov. 6 and tell the rest of us Republicans, “ See? I told you so. Trump was going to lose. And you still didn’t vote for me?!”

But what you’re really doing is making sure you’ll never have another position in Republican politics – anywhere.

You were a phenomenal United Nations ambassador for Trump and a great governor of South Carolina.

But by dragging out your hopeless campaign and refusing to quit the primary, you’re throwing away your legacy and political future.

You know you have no hope of winning the presidency. You couldn’t even win a primary in your own state.

You lost Michigan this week and on Super Tuesday on March 5 you will lose every primary in 15 states.

Maybe on March 6 you’ll finally wake up, look in the mirror and suddenly realize that Americans would rather have a president who might be behind bars than you.

Maybe instead of asking what that says about Americans, you’ll ask yourself, “What’s that say about me?”

The rest of us might also ask what do your back-to-back humiliations in the primaries say about the sanity of your donors?

Your biggest donor, one of the zillionaire Koch brothers, woke up, saw the cards you’re betting with and bailed on you.

Face it, Nikki, someone running for president who is counting on the guy you’re running against being in jail is not a good look.

And what makes you think that if Trump was thrown in solitary tomorrow America’s voters would choose you?

It’d be a free-for-all at the Republican National Convention but the party would choose anyone who’s still breathing over you.

I get it that a Republican nominee, whoever it is, will need Democrat votes to win the presidency. I’ve been there, seen that.

But the Democrats who crossed party lines and voted for you in the primaries so far wouldn’t vote for Trump this fall if their party nominated a convicted serial killer.

If Trump fell over dead tomorrow, would the Republican Party support you? Not a chance. A lot of other people would jump in the race and you would be trampled.

So Nikki, please, face the Kenny Rogers music.

You’ve blown your present and your future. It’s so sad, Gavin Newsom is now telling everyone you’re the best surrogate Biden and the Democrats have.

The Republican Party and its members don’t want you to be the nominee, no matter what.

It’s time to fold your losing hand, cash in your chips and go home to Carolina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?

lowly abject turd posted:

yeah really noticing this with my partner's family. lot's of self identified gamers in their early to mid 20's and their default positions are really more comparable to my like maga uncle than anyone else. they seem
like generally decent normal people and aren't particularly ideological; usually willing to reconsider or modify those positions with minimal pushback. just seems like they are just swimming in a miasma of those opinions. like i was a p lovely edgy internet teenager 20 years ago but much of that felt much less mainstreamed though hard to trust my perceptions on that

I started noticing this the Christmas before last when one of my friends suddenly was very annoyed about the song Baby its cold outside being cancelled. This being Sweden I hadn't really heard the song before, and all I could say was that it seemed blown out of proportion.

Then this Christmas another friend brought up the same thing. Pointing out that he was late on the ball seemed to work as a better counter than trying to argue against the claim itself. Like the shame of having been taken in by an old outrage actually seemed to make him reconsider his sources.

Also, having been made aware of the song the year before I started noticing it being played a bunch of times, and it seemed very far from cancelled.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Cakebaker posted:

I started noticing this the Christmas before last when one of my friends suddenly was very annoyed about the song Baby its cold outside being cancelled. This being Sweden I hadn't really heard the song before, and all I could say was that it seemed blown out of proportion.

Then this Christmas another friend brought up the same thing. Pointing out that he was late on the ball seemed to work as a better counter than trying to argue against the claim itself. Like the shame of having been taken in by an old outrage actually seemed to make him reconsider his sources.

Also, having been made aware of the song the year before I started noticing it being played a bunch of times, and it seemed very far from cancelled.

Lol, that's a great example of the never-ending right wing outrage machine, because I first heard of the song being cancelled in :911: high school a decade ago. Literally one decade of christmases ago this coming christmas of 24. Also the first time I ever heard the song. Or at least the first time I listened to it instead of just tossing it into the mental spam folder of boring ubiquitous christmas songs from 1957 BCE that I can't tell apart.

Except of course it was never cancelled it was just noted as kinda possibly creepy, and kept being played, and then got played even more to reap imaginary woke tears, then everyone forgot about it and now it's back again this past year or two. Discourse must be had, libs must be owned.

soviet elsa fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 2, 2024

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jesus III posted:

Dude, people have been doing line dances and group dances as long as there's been dancing.

I'm aware. I wasn't implying that it was a distinctly modern phenomenon.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm aware. I wasn't implying that it was a distinctly modern phenomenon.

I think they are more hitting the idea that it's specifically just some brainwashed conservative thing and not just a loving dance that people enjoy doing. There's a lot of left-of-liberal people here in Texas that still fuckin like line dancing. I don't know why, but they do.

Secret truth the man doesn't want you to know the people really good at conservative-approved dances and the people really good at kids these days godless sex fiend fembot dancing are often... the same people.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There is a deep (and intentional) irony that conservatives simultaneously want to be the rebel that stands out but also deeply conformist. This is, I suppose, a consequence of the somewhat competitive punching down nature of their ideology.

It's similar to toxic masculinity. Under toxic masculinity, you can tear down another man by convincing others he is not 'manly'. Since they're all trying to 'out man' each other the things that set one man apart negatively might be really subtle. Since they all KNOW this, they also know if they risk trying too hard or not hard enough it will set them up for ridicule.

The end result in both subcultures is a very risk averse approach to social interaction. Highly ritualized group activities help prevent them from standing out in a bad way to their peers while maintaining their own bully pulpit.

So doing a ritualized group dance is safer and more acceptable not just for the people involved but also for the people condoning it.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Panfilo posted:

There is a deep (and intentional) irony that conservatives simultaneously want to be the rebel that stands out but also deeply conformist. This is, I suppose, a consequence of the somewhat competitive punching down nature of their ideology.

It's similar to toxic masculinity. Under toxic masculinity, you can tear down another man by convincing others he is not 'manly'. Since they're all trying to 'out man' each other the things that set one man apart negatively might be really subtle. Since they all KNOW this, they also know if they risk trying too hard or not hard enough it will set them up for ridicule.

The end result in both subcultures is a very risk averse approach to social interaction. Highly ritualized group activities help prevent them from standing out in a bad way to their peers while maintaining their own bully pulpit.

So doing a ritualized group dance is safer and more acceptable not just for the people involved but also for the people condoning it.

Will you apply this to all ritualized dancing or just conservatives? Literally all cultures have line dancing or group dancing of some sort. It is fun to do something with a group! Go see who performs the Cha Cha slide? Does that look like a group of conservatives? How about the Payaso de Rodeo? All those conservative country fans! Also, country music dancing isn't "just" line dancing. They also dance the two step, which is fun as poo poo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Best believe I'm cloggin'

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Jesus III posted:

Will you apply this to all ritualized dancing or just conservatives? Literally all cultures have line dancing or group dancing of some sort. It is fun to do something with a group! Go see who performs the Cha Cha slide? Does that look like a group of conservatives? How about the Payaso de Rodeo? All those conservative country fans! Also, country music dancing isn't "just" line dancing. They also dance the two step, which is fun as poo poo.

I was talking about why conservatives would favor one style of dance over another, and how it might be a reflection of their conformist attitudes. Of course other groups of people might like group dancing for other benign reasons.

It's like the appeal of wearing uniforms/group costumes- you could choose to do it because it's fun to be a part of a community event and dress up together, while for reactionaries it's a way to ensure nobody stands out in a way they consider unacceptable.

Some people were condemning a bunch of women dancing at a gas station in New Orleans and comparing it to a group of young couples ballroom dancing in Belarus, as though the latter was somehow more culturally 'proper' than the former. I was merely suggesting their preferences come from conformist attitudes more than anything, not an indictment on group dancing itself.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
I get it, I think the conformity of line dancing appeals to a certain regressive mindset. I think lots of people enjoy group dancing though, it’s not just a conservative thing.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Jesus III posted:

Is missing the point (unintentionally or intentionally) your gimmick? You did this with firefighters in the Libertarian thread as well.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Yeah, the idea of the "Conservative Rebel" was incubated and hatched by Limbaugh, near as I can tell. "Just saying what everyone else is thinking" or the idea of going against the grain and using political incorrectness as some kind of edgy, punk rock type of schtick where the only similarity is unapologetically saying mean and rude things. I mean....it worked but, like you said, it's reached the point where they're all the same now and just being "edgy" for the sake of it because, to them, if some lib doesn't get triggered ro what have you, then you're doing conservatism and free speech wrong. They seem like they're made in a factory now and they kind of are, really.

It's like when the punk movement started in the 70's. Kids were wearing cheap clothes out of necessity and dyeing and spiking their hair to be non-conformist and elicit some type of shock value. Then, before you knew it, there were Punk Boutiques, teh "look" became expensive and every goddamned "individual" looked just like the next one; some knock off carbon copy Siouxsie or Syd Vicious. Doc Martins became like Air Jordans for Ramones and Clash fans.

The modern conservative RWM branded Republican now is just trying to be more outrageous than the next one but, no, they're not really individualists at all and never have been. With the exception of Rush, probably, who was genuinely a pioneer.

Jesus III posted:

I kind of started this derail but went out of my way to mention that choreographed dance is/can be a great thing and also that maybe I was reaching. I agree with Panfilo, though, that for the conservative mind, the idea is to fit in and ironically strip away the very idea of being rugged individualists. Panfilo also mentioned things like churches and poo poo like that but, to me, it extends to Giant American Flags, camo patterned everything, flaunting guns and gun related imagery, bibles and crosses, etc.

The examples you mentioned are all cultural expressions and, in this case, it's the same thing. Except that "culture" is MAGA and it's touting Rugged Individualism and Independence when it's nothing of the sort.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 2, 2024

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
I mean, what hits me from both of y'all is the weird psychoanalyzing of the conservative brain. The reality is they'd hate the belarussian ballroom dance and love the gas station dance if the context was changed. The belarussians put up a big ol' Lenin FOREVER CENTENNIAL 1924-2024 and the tiktok dance girls dance the same dance but one of them wears a red cap, boom, exact opposite message. Boring frigid communist future vs hot young sexy new conservatism. Literally a message they already play. It's not about the content for them, it's about the messaging.

You're missing the forest for the trees, analyzing why nazis love identifying arm bands, then handwaving "sure, lots of anti-nazis also chose to wear identifying arm bands, but the arm band appeals to the nazi brain..." when really all you need to say is that yes, the fash like perfectly normal human things and will twist anything and everything to be fash.

Sometimes, the two step is just having fun doing a dang ol' two step

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, the idea of the "Conservative Rebel" was incubated and hatched by Limbaugh, near as I can tell. "Just saying what everyone else is thinking" or the idea of going against the grain and using political incorrectness as some kind of edgy, punk rock type of schtick where the only similarity is unapologetically saying mean and rude things. I mean....it worked but, like you said, it's reached the point where they're all the same now and just being "edgy" for the sake of it because, to them, if some lib doesn't get triggered ro what have you, then you're doing conservatism and free speech wrong. They seem like they're made in a factory now and they kind of are, really.

It's like when the punk movement started in the 70's. Kids were wearing cheap clothes out of necessity and dyeing and spiking their hair to be non-conformist and elicit some type of shock value. Then, before you knew it, there were Punk Boutiques, teh "look" became expensive and every goddamned "individual" looked just like the next one; some knock off carbon copy Siouxsie or Syd Vicious. Doc Martins became like Air Jordans for Ramones and Clash fans.

The modern conservative RWM branded Republican now is just trying to be more outrageous than the next one but, no, they're not really individualists at all and never have been. With the exception of Rush, probably, who was genuinely a pioneer.

I kind of started this derail but went out of my way to mention that choreographed dance is/can be a great thing and also that maybe I was reaching. I agree with Panfilo, though, that for the conservative mind, the idea is to fit in and ironically strip away the very idea of being rugged individualists. Panfilo also mentioned things like churches and poo poo like that but, to me, it extends to Giant American Flags, camo patterned everything, flaunting guns and gun related imagery, bibles and crosses, etc.

The examples you mentioned are all cultural expressions and, in this case, it's the same thing. Except that "culture" is MAGA and it's touting Rugged Individualism and Independence when it's nothing of the sort.

I think you are putting your own biases into country line dancing. It's just people having fun. Just like the Cha Cha slide, jus like all line dancing. It says nothing about a person.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Weatherman posted:

Is missing the point (unintentionally or intentionally) your gimmick? You did this with firefighters in the Libertarian thread as well.

How am missing the point? People are making generalizations about people based on their dancing type and I think it's stupid.. It's just another type of bigotry. People have been country line dancing long before MAHA.

That firefighter thing must have really hit a nerve. People keep bringing it up. Sorry it hurt you so.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Another speech, more mangled words.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1764012655432360014
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1764024825255710925

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1763993033580683740

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'll hear all about this Monday morning on the Kilmeade and Kaye shows when they play a bunch of bumbling Biden quotes.

Jesus III posted:

I think you are putting your own biases into country line dancing. It's just people having fun. Just like the Cha Cha slide, jus like all line dancing.

Very possible.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Biden: [rushes his words a bit and makes a few slips]
Media: Is the oldest president’s brain just a wordless mush?!
Trump: [exhibits productive aphasia and word salad]
Media: Look at his stamina! This is bad for Biden…

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, Trump comes across as so ENERGETIC while vomiting up an incomprehensible garbled verbal mess

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 2, 2024

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There hasn't been elocution that breathtaking since Orson raved about the French.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Artificial Kid posted:

Biden: [rushes his words a bit and makes a few slips]
Media: Is the oldest president’s brain just a wordless mush?!
Trump: [exhibits productive aphasia and word salad]
Media: Look at his stamina! This is bad for Biden…

They're both mush brained but yeah. One is a fascist monster and the other is a feeble centrist. Some real inspiring choice we have here for the next 9 months. God, this election cycle is gonna suck harder than any in recent memory.

I'm voting for Biden (or anyone but Trump) of course but god drat what are we even doing?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Bass aaf guada Mo, Adtomkraft zum hom - mei Onkl woa a suppa Professor und Wissnschafdler und Inscheniör, Dokda Johann Drumpf an der Messertschusetz Schuhl für Technik; guade Gene, gscheid guade Gene, woaßd, gscheid schlau, d' Warten Wirdschafdsschuhl, gscheid guad, gscheid schlau - woaßd, wenn ma als BPler unterwegs is, wenn I a CSUler waarad, wenn, halt, ok, wenn I für d' Junge Union dahehr kemma daadad, nachand daadn's song, dass I oana vo de schlauesdn Menschn aaf da ganzn Welt waarad - ohne scheiß! - awa wenn ma etz als a BPler dahehr kimmd, nachand probierns - ja, dann fotzn's di gscheid dahehr - desweng fang I immer aso o: Woa aaf da Warten-Schuhl, woa a guada Student, nachand bin I do hi ganga, danoch durt hi, hob dees gmacht, bin a Bonzn woahn - woaßd, I mou quasi allawaal meine Referenzn hehrzoing, weil mir halt scho immer benachteiligd wehrn - awa wennst da eytz den Adtomdeal oschausd, nachand is dehs wos mi wirklich do droh stört - es waarad so einfach gwehsn und es waarad aa ned so wichdig wey de Lehm sann (Adtomkraft haud hald gscheid eihne; mei Onkl hod ma dehs vor ewign Zeitn amol verzöllt, d' Adtomkraft und dehs woa scho vor fünfadreißg Joa; der hod ma scho dahmals verzöllt wos do so bassiert wenn wos bassiert und er hod Recht ghabt, wer heyds'n glaubd?), awa wenns'd da eytz oschausd, wos mid de vier Gfangana bassiert - guad, es woahn amol drei, eytz sanns vier - awa alls nu drei woahn und sölbst eytz, heyd I hald gsagd, es kimmd immer afn Bootn draaf zam; Maahna, und I mou Maahna song, weil, woaßd scho, de machand bei dehrer Gschichd ja nu ned miid, de hamm dees hald nu ned ganz graffd, dass d' Weiwah eytz grod gscheida sann weyd Maahna, dessweng, woaßd, wird dees für de hald numol so gschatzde hunderdfuchzg Joa dauan - awa d' Persa sann suppa Gschäfdsleid, d' Iraner sann suppa Gschäfdsleid, desweng hamm de, de hamm uns hald glei amohl sohwos vo dahehrgfotzd', also sohwos vo hamm de uns dahehrgfotzd'.

The crazy thing is, Trump becomes less incoherent when translated into Bavarian.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Antigravitas posted:

The crazy thing is, Trump becomes less incoherent when translated into Bavarian.

There were a few articles during the Trump administration about how difficult he was to translate because he's an aggressive blithering ignoramus of his highly idiosyncratic off the cuff speaking style.

It's hard to translate him and preserve his tone

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Bavarian is perfect for preserving the tone, believe me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Antigravitas posted:

Bavarian is perfect for preserving the tone, believe me.

Except Trump is a teetotal.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I don't think getting g halfway through a sentence, having a neuron fire randomly and zip off in a different direction for another half sentence only to have the same thing happen again and again, can be defined as "idiosyncratic".

It's like a pinball machine up in that skull: flashing lights, the ball of thought getting bounced around at random, bleeps and bloops, and eventually the flippers miss and the sentence ends.

I tried reading written transcripts of him speaking "off the cuff", and it's astonishing how disorganized it is.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

BiggerBoat posted:

I mean, most modern conceptions of "punk" (especially vis a vis dying your hair and having ripped up/distressed outfits) was created by a married couple who owned a fashion boutique and sold "punk" clothing and Siouxsie and Sid Vicious were customers and McLaren/Westwood literally selected Sid Vicious to join the band they svengali'd because he 'fit the look' more than the departing bassist? It was a manufactured 'look' from the get-go.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

I mean, most modern conceptions of "punk" (especially vis a vis dying your hair and having ripped up/distressed outfits) was created by a married couple who owned a fashion boutique and sold "punk" clothing and Siouxsie and Sid Vicious were customers and McLaren/Westwood literally selected Sid Vicious to join the band they svengali'd because he 'fit the look' more than the departing bassist? It was a manufactured 'look' from the get-go.

Not really. At least the first part.

Johhny Rotten, IIRC, worked at or frequented some type of sex shop that sold S&M and bondage gear and the "safety pin" look was genuinely born out of necessity where kids had to use them to actually hold their clothes together. It didn't take long for folks to monetize and commercialize it though and you're right about Sid being put in the band because he looked the part, even though he couldn't play a lick.

The more I think about it, the more the comparison to RWM "stars" makes sense to a certain degree. The core philosophy of punk being "not selling out" has been flipped with RWM personalities openly touting being "square" and making money at all costs as the new cool, no matter how big of an rear end in a top hat you have to act be. I guess the main thing both movements have in common is being obnoxious proffered as some sort of virtue and offending people as a means unto itself.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

MrUnderbridge posted:

It's like a pinball machine up in that skull: flashing lights, the ball of thought getting bounced around at random, bleeps and bloops, and eventually the flippers miss and the sentence ends.

One key mistake: it's not at all random. He's mimicking, poorly, the conversations he's had in the last week, weighing heavily the conversations he's had in the last day. This is not random; it carries signal. It reveals the sorts of conversations he's partaking in, and it reveals the character of the people he spends time conversing with.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

BiggerBoat posted:

Johhny Rotten, IIRC, worked at or frequented some type of sex shop that sold S&M and bondage gear and the "safety pin" look was genuinely born out of necessity where kids had to use them to actually hold their clothes together. It didn't take long for folks to monetize and commercialize it though and you're right about Sid being put in the band because he looked the part, even though he couldn't play a lick.

The more I think about it, the more the comparison to RWM "stars" makes sense to a certain degree. The core philosophy of punk being "not selling out" has been flipped with RWM personalities openly touting being "square" and making money at all costs as the new cool, no matter how big of an rear end in a top hat you have to act be. I guess the main thing both movements have in common is being obnoxious proffered as some sort of virtue and offending people as a means unto itself.

Right-wingers only like the aesthetics of rebellion, to them it's a fashion statement. They're only willing to become an 'enemy of the state' when it comes acts of defiance with no real consequences, such as walking into a store without a mask, yelling at the school board, posting screeds on facebook, or slapping on a bumper sticker. Then they listen to pundits who will tell them that doing those benign acts is the bravest thing you can do in modern-day America, it's got the elites scared and every book they buy is another bullet in the fight against the WEF

They despise anyone that actually carries out the anti-government violence that they fantasize doing. They hate BLM, anfita, and marxist rioters because they remind them of their own weaknesses. Those types are actually willing to burn government vehicles, act violent towards authority figures and eat a jail sentence for the cause. Meanwhile they're sitting impotent obeying every traffic law because they absolutely cannot risk being late to work this week. It's just not fair. America is supposed to be a land of opportunity where anyone can craft their own destiny....so why not them? They've convinced themselves that they're oppressed, and that illegal aliens are being given every advantage thanks to the government, but at no point will they take up an offer to switch places.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

BiggerBoat posted:

We're talking about the same place, Malcolm McLaren and Vivienne Westwood owned a boutique on King's Road in London. It was the locus of the "punk scene" in London, and was in no small part an attempt -- a successful one! -- on Westwood and McLaren's part to import the downtown NYC music scene into London, on their own terms and in their own vision. First it was "Let It Rock" and catered to the 1950s nostalgia Teddy Boy movement, but then it became a 1950s nostalgia American rocker boutique, and then got rebranded as SEX, which did sell S&M bondage gear along with other fashion stuff inspired by McLaren's brief and unsuccessful attempt at managing the New York Dolls over in America. Lydon hung out/shopped there, and McLaren picked him and the rest of the people who would become the Sex Pistols out of the store regulars/staff with the idea of replicating the "punk" scene he saw in New York City. I'm sure it was a two-way street between the young folks shopping at SEX and its owners, and maybe the safety pin aesthetic really was an invention of necessity, but it also was almost immediately co-opted into pre-destroyed "Westwood originals" before it ever made it into broader culture.

There's also the fact that by and large the punk bands in NYC he saw didn't really look anything like "punks" people think of/you were describing, which were an invention/development of SEX.

When McClaren took over managing the New York Dolls (shortly before they imploded) he had his first go at creating a "punk rock" aesthetic, but even that was decidedly not "safety pins and spiked hair"

And to be sure, there were more "punk" looking punk bands in the US pre-Sex Pistols/McClaren, but even those aren't really "PUNK" as people think of it now, outside of I guess the enduring iconography of the Ramones/leather jackets.

This does tie into the larger conversation here, I promise! "Punk rock" on both sides of the Atlantic, in its early inchoate form, was a subculture/art scene that was rebelling against "the mainstream" but did not have its own orthodoxy and uniform. Some punks dressed super normcore, some tried to dress like a hazy recreation of 1950s biker movies, or in drag, or like glam rockers. Some were stripped down garage rock trios/quartets, others incorporated reggae, synthesizers, country, saxophone solos, etc.

It wasn't until later (or early on, in the case of the UK scene) that people started actively trying to define the aesthetics and 'rules' of punk rock, until Punk became a marketable (and arguably conservative) genre where the audience would be very dubious about long synthesizer riffs, Afrobeat rhythms, or horns on songs, and 90% of the looks above would be seen as extremely NOT PUNK. Maybe this is more a commentary on capitalism and cultural hegemony and the urge to neatly categorize things than "the conservative mind", but they all kind of work in conjunction.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 3, 2024

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Cool post. Thanks for that.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

je1 healthcare posted:

Right-wingers only like the aesthetics of rebellion, to them it's a fashion statement. They're only willing to become an 'enemy of the state' when it comes acts of defiance with no real consequences, such as walking into a store without a mask, yelling at the school board, posting screeds on facebook, or slapping on a bumper sticker. Then they listen to pundits who will tell them that doing those benign acts is the bravest thing you can do in modern-day America, it's got the elites scared and every book they buy is another bullet in the fight against the WEF

They despise anyone that actually carries out the anti-government violence that they fantasize doing. They hate BLM, anfita, and marxist rioters because they remind them of their own weaknesses. Those types are actually willing to burn government vehicles, act violent towards authority figures and eat a jail sentence for the cause. Meanwhile they're sitting impotent obeying every traffic law because they absolutely cannot risk being late to work this week. It's just not fair. America is supposed to be a land of opportunity where anyone can craft their own destiny....so why not them? They've convinced themselves that they're oppressed, and that illegal aliens are being given every advantage thanks to the government, but at no point will they take up an offer to switch places.
This is true. They are very much wallflowers in their own talk of 'taking back the country'. And they can't help but give away their own helplessness in their statements - :qq: "Isn't someone going to DO SOMETHING about this?" instead of taking direct action.

Ironically, this hesitation and lack of organization might have helped them in Jan 6. When protesting over egregious sentencing and bad conditions in jail, they'll often insist they were 'invited in' and unarmed. They weren't trying to burn down the building or Seal Team Six congress, they were like a dog that finally caught the car it was chasing and is just awkwardly standing there confused as to what to do next.

Even when everything lined up in their favor they weren't able to capitalize on it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Panfilo posted:

Ironically, this hesitation and lack of organization might have helped them in Jan 6. When protesting over egregious sentencing and bad conditions in jail, they'll often insist they were 'invited in' and unarmed. They weren't trying to burn down the building or Seal Team Six congress, they were like a dog that finally caught the car it was chasing and is just awkwardly standing there confused as to what to do next.

Even when everything lined up in their favor they weren't able to capitalize on it.

This time they weren't. I'm a bit nervous about 2024 though.

I hear a lot of pundits and people trying to tell me that 1/6 "wasn't an insurrection". OK, then what was it? What was the goal/endgame with that? What might have happened if Pelosi or AOC had been tracked down? The coworkers I ask this question to tend to shrug their shoulders. It was 100% an attempted insurrection, it just (fortunately) went off like you said.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If Trump attempts to hold a similar rally in capitol next January I would tell the National Guards to cordon it off with barbed wire.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
In retrospect, congress probably should have rammed through a bunch of poo poo that might like DC Statehood.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

In retrospect, congress probably should have rammed through a bunch of poo poo that might like DC Statehood.

But then where would Congress pilot it's regressive policies?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I’m late for Bavarian talk but gently caress it:

https://twitter.com/warhappened/status/1422300505359933451?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

This happened in August 1914.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

That would have been great, but that also would have involved shitfucks like Manchin and Sinema actually giving a poo poo about the future instead of deciding that there was a vast untapped voting base of centrists that needed their attention.

And of course now that they’re leaving, wanted by no one and unmourned by everyone, but we’re not going to have a Democratic senate in 2025 unless somehow Texas or Florida flip