Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

hadji murad posted:

What’s the best way to play Vagrant Story on the Deck?

Via Emudeck preconfigured Duckstation emulator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Spin up EmuDeck, Duckstation is the standard PS1 emulator it uses and it's worked perfectly for me so far.

E: should have refreshed the page, lol.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it looks incredible on Duckstation.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Sweet deal. Thanks guys!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I can't remember what the Duckstation option is called but if you set the internal renderer higher than native and then downsample it the overall effect works really well with VS's art style. I played it on my deck this time last year and had a great time, especially because I remembered how to combine gems, buffs and debuffs to break the game over my knee instead of just going "haha heavy shot go brrr" like I did when I was 15

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the cutscenes at the start look insanely good for a ps1 game

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Yeah I was impressed. It looks cool.

But now I noticed that Emulation Station won’t work, and the ROM list I have has doubles so I’m gonna spend all my time fixing that first instead of playing the game I want to

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

just download the emulators you want to use off Discover and keep a little folder of ROMs. I don't understand why anyone would use Emu deck or Emulation Station

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hadji murad posted:

What’s the best way to play Vagrant Story on the Deck?

very carefully

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

hadji murad posted:

Yeah I was impressed. It looks cool.

But now I noticed that Emulation Station won’t work, and the ROM list I have has doubles so I’m gonna spend all my time fixing that first instead of playing the game I want to

Yeah something broke in EmulationStation and Emudeck both. Retroarch has stopped working completely, as has ES. Individual emulators seem to be working fine, except GBE+ which refuses to acknowledge inputs from the Steam Deck when trying to configure controls..

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

grieving for Gandalf posted:

just download the emulators you want to use off Discover and keep a little folder of ROMs. I don't understand why anyone would use Emu deck or Emulation Station

It has a nice gui and it's an all in one package for everything you could want, really.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Suburban Dad posted:

I wonder how the endgame will run. My PC was doing fine for the campaign but I get some really bad fps drops in monoliths now. Like dips in the 30s... On a 3080.

The recent patch notes mention fixing a memory leak in the monoliths, so perhaps that might have improved things for you. I wouldn't know, as an AMD-enjoyer my 6800xt never dips below 144fps in Last Epoch.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Emudeck does a lot of configuration you don’t otherwise get for free. I don’t need to spend an hour setting keybindings for controller for each individual emulator, setting up the right renderer and sound plugin and video settings and etc etc whatever.

Plus a single nice front end that I can launch into from the gaming UI that shows me everything I have.

It’s a total waste of time to do it manually and you gain nothing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

It’s a total waste of time to do it manually and you gain nothing.

Agreed

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dramicus posted:

The recent patch notes mention fixing a memory leak in the monoliths, so perhaps that might have improved things for you. I wouldn't know, as an AMD-enjoyer my 6800xt never dips below 144fps in Last Epoch.

Here's hoping. I never noticed any of this during the campaign, just the past few days doing monos. Usually fps doesn't bother me much as long as it's in the sync range but this was pretty noticeable.

I'm hoping the controller support evolves a bit which will only help deckers. That was mentioned in the recent updates as well as a goal to bring the game to consoles. UI scaling wouldn't be a bad thing, either.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Suburban Dad posted:

Here's hoping. I never noticed any of this during the campaign, just the past few days doing monos. Usually fps doesn't bother me much as long as it's in the sync range but this was pretty noticeable.

I'm hoping the controller support evolves a bit which will only help deckers. That was mentioned in the recent updates as well as a goal to bring the game to consoles. UI scaling wouldn't be a bad thing, either.

Yeah, the one thing D4 does well is controller support which makes it real playable on deck. I hope LE can sort that out as I much prefer it do D4 in every other respect.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Vic posted:

Here you go I'm gonna leave it up for a day or two.

https://78.102.217.41/goondeckwiki/index.php/File_transfer

Much appreciated!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

emudeck also does chiaki and xbox streaming and multiple rom manager options. most importantly it does everything in like 10 minutes so you actually spend time playing the games instead of spending your gaming time loving around with 5-30 emulators

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Right now I'm thinking of that "Why would you buy a NES Classic when you can just spend 40 hours configuring a raspberry pi" article haha

Edit - Why Spend $80 on an SNES Classic When You Can Install Emulators on a Raspberry Pi and Never Shut the gently caress Up About It?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Does anyone have feedback on how Pacific Drive and Enshrouded run on deck? I'm going to be getting one of them in the next week or so, and deck playability is going to factor into it.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Pacific Drive seems playable at a mix of low to mid settings at 28-30 fps… until an hour in where you install a GPS system in your car and for whatever reason the frame rate tanks down to 15-20fps for the rest of the game.

So uh, yeah. Some optimization issues, would t recommend.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was excited to try Pacific Drive on my deck and it indeed runs like poo poo. Hopefully they put some work in on it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

What do you do when your bluetooth headphones stop pairing?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Anyone else had trouble with their deck dropping off wifi constantly?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mescal posted:

What do you do when your bluetooth headphones stop pairing?

I've never run into this problem so it's hard to give you specific instructions, but i'd probably do the following:

1) totally unpair the device from the steam deck, ie "forget" it and remove the entry entirely. Then reboot the deck.
2) use the (Bluetooth) device's factory reset function if it has one
3) attempt to pair the two again

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Xand_Man posted:

Mine some times starts doing this, but only when I'm in Desktop Mode.

I am usually only in Desktop Mode to use TeamViewer to set stuff up, so I don't know if it's related to that app or the desktop itself, but it will be working fine one second, then dropping and reconnecting every few seconds without warning.

Usually manually disabling the wifi and re-enabling it fixes the issue.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Does anyone have feedback on how Pacific Drive and Enshrouded run on deck? I'm going to be getting one of them in the next week or so, and deck playability is going to factor into it.

Yeah from everything I’ve seen so far enshrouded doesn’t run so hot either yet. It might need more EA bake time.

Yeah the controller support for last epoch is pretty rough. They should just take was d4 does and copy it directly.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Xand_Man posted:

Not that one, but I'm having this weird wifi issue where when it reconnects to the 6E, it'll sometimes only do transfers at 200kb or so. If I turn wifi off and back on, then I get the 70MB it should be.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I just updated my OS and the … menu is different and I don’t know if I like it. I guess I have to reinstall Decky too?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I just updated my OS and the … menu is different and I don’t know if I like it. I guess I have to reinstall Decky too?

It’s way cleaner. I like it.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
AutoHDR is working on the Steam Deck with a reshade profile this person made.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/1b4dl1k/ive_got_auto_hdr_working_on_deck_oled_only_for/

It has a few caveats, and the person recommends not using for games with online, but I've tried a couple of game so far and Sayonara Wild Hearts looks kind of mind blowing on the OLED deck with this. It broke the Crash Bandicoot trilogy, but I'm gonna try a bunch more games and see how it goes.

Tried it on a few more games, Katamari Reroll is interesting and Lumines is too overblown. Couldn't get it to work properly on Bomb Rush Cyberfunk.

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 3, 2024

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Years ago, I used a ROM patcher to make many, many randomized Zelda 2 versions, but that was entirely on Windows.

Any idea if I could get the same thing done on the Steam deck? I would love to run through all sorts of variations of the game again. At one point, I was playing as Error, with newly-made sprites for all of the moves. It was great.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If it works on Windows then you should be able to, just install the randomiser .exe as a non-Steam version for easy access, switch to a stable Proton version if it doesn't run the first time and that should be that. I did the same thing with Dark Souls randomisers and they worked perfectly.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, update for any deck XIV players. The GPU Clock option in the latest update's performance options seems to make the game run absolutely smoothly instead of having the stuttering it could get under heavy particle effects as before.
It even seems content to play 60 at 1080p at about 70oC which I have no idea is safe or not but is of note.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ConanThe3rd posted:

So, update for any deck XIV players. The GPU Clock option in the latest update's performance options seems to make the game run absolutely smoothly instead of having the stuttering it could get under heavy particle effects as before.
It even seems content to play 60 at 1080p at about 70oC which I have no idea is safe or not but is of note.

What do you set it to?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

What do you set it to?

The gpu option? As high as it would go.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Speaking of the most recent Stable branch update, it also bumped up the BIOS version, which means that if you had previously changed the VRAM (UMA buffer) or undervolting settings, those got changed back to the default values. I wish this wouldn't happen with every major update, but it does.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The alternatives (preserving settings that might change meaning or storage representation) aren’t really great without a bunch of work to externalize them somewhere stable, so I think this is probably how it’ll be for a long time. (as with other PC motherboards)

Thank you for the reminder, though, I do need to reapply those settings!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Is the HLTB decky plugin broken for anybody else in the latest software? Reinstalling the plugin didn't help.

E: double hosed. DRG:S doesn't run anymore either even with proton experimental.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

BoldFace posted:

Speaking of the most recent Stable branch update, it also bumped up the BIOS version, which means that if you had previously changed the VRAM (UMA buffer) or undervolting settings, those got changed back to the default values. I wish this wouldn't happen with every major update, but it does.

I mean. For my use case, Ie: Emu and XVI I might be golden.