Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Thermos posted:

I was concerned about those things too, but it ended up being very useable. I literally just turned our 12 year old 1080p tv on it’s side, put a piece of plexiglass over top and plugged it in. With a modern 4K display it could potentially look very nice.

One thing I found super cool is the ability to use animated maps. Seemed like a bit of a gimmick, but seeing the torches flicker or water running along with the sounds adds some nice ambiance.

Plexiglass is a cool idea. I went to a paid game where the DM brought a tv and just laid it on the table every game. Let people play right on the screen. Seemed likely to lead to scratches to me, but I guess he didn't care. He was charging $10 per player per session (now $25) so a cheap TV from walmart was paid for pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
My DM has a flat screen setup on an elevated base to make room for dice trays on the table. The base also has built in power and USB outlets for charging phones, tables or laptops.

To top this off he rigged two old Wii controllers to work as IR trackers, allowing us to click and drag tokens on the screen or ping locations on the map where we want the dm to put markers for spell effects and such.

Shits wild.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I run a projector on a stand with a mirror reflecting it onto a white projector fabric on the table, its pretty dope

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

We shine it on the wall behind the DM.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Elendil004 posted:

Man folks weren't kidding when they said Cragmaw Cave is a TPK factory. I got drat close and they still have 2 rooms to go.

Fingers crossed, you got this buddy!

Deteriorata posted:

We shine it on the wall behind the DM.

Don't the minis fall off?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Outrail posted:

Fingers crossed, you got this buddy!

Don't the minis fall off?

We nail them into the wall.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Clever

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Deteriorata posted:

We nail them into the wall.

The DM?! :ohdear:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

If we're sharing tables, this is a dining table I got for free off marketplace housing a 55" tv with a dead pixel line that was otherwise going to the charity shop. Cut and routed a hole so it sits flush with the table, and taped a big piece of perspex over the top so it doesn't scratch.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I have an idea for a puzzle encounter.

"Before you lies a gargantuan mechanical dragon, one that can tell you with absolute certainty that any spell scroll it consumes will cast or will continue to chant forever... In order to safely proceed from this room you must prove that the dragon doesn't actually exist."

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Raenir Salazar posted:

"Before you lies a gargantuan mechanical dragon, one that can tell you with absolute certainty that any spell scroll it consumes will cast or will continue to chant forever... In order to safely proceed from this room you must prove that the dragon doesn't actually exist."

Artificer solution:
blah blah blah halting problem

Wizard solution:
given that we can see the dragon, the only way it could exist is if there is illusion magic creating the image, or some sort of enchantment based domination effect compelling us to see what isn’t there. Cast dispel magic or antimagic field.

Barbarian solution:
smash dragon so it no longer exists

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
And this is why barbarians are the best

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Other solution: Cast enchantment magic on whole party 'the dragon doesn't exist'.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Modify memory, duh

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
These are great because unless there's a compsci student among the players no one knows the main solution.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Toss in an invisibility scroll.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Raenir Salazar posted:

These are great because unless there's a compsci student among the players no one knows the main solution.

what is it?

I thought this was a Roko's basilisk riff.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

imagine dungeons posted:

Toss in an invisibility scroll.

Etherealness.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

I jump into the bottomless pit next to it.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Empty Sandwich posted:

what is it?

I thought this was a Roko's basilisk riff.

Like they said, this is a computer science problem. "Is there a general algorithm for deciding if a program will stop running or if it will get stuck in an infinite loop indefinitely?" The answer, to provide a small hint before spelling it out below, relies on the infinite perversity of the human spirit (in the non-sexual sense). A bigger hint would be to think about that delightful logic bomb "This sentence is false."

Imagine that there was such an algorithm. If there was, then we could make a computer program that uses that algorithm when given any other program and output "Yes" meaning it halts or "No" meaning it doesn't. Well, it'll probably actually output "1" meaning "Yes" meaning it halts or "0" meaning "No" meaning it doesn't but that's not important. What is important is that, having this computer program (let's call it "f"), we can now write another computer program called "uck_you", which calls "f", gives it its source code, and then uses the output to decide whether or not to trap itself in an infinite loop. If f says that the program halts, our devilish little program refuses to do so. If f says that the program doesn't halt, our little buddy immediately stops in its tracks. The program f cannot possibly decide whether or not "uck_you" stops because the little bastard is looking over its shoulder. The halting problem is related to Gödel's incompleteness theorem (the weaker one) and as such has a lot of potential consequences for logic, mathematics, and perhaps even the very study of the human mind - but no one can seem to agree on what they are, which is kind of appropriate.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok but how do the characters know that

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok but how do the characters know that

I dunno; I'm not the one who said it should be a D&D puzzle.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Even if you figure it out you've gotta be like "Ooog the Barbarian, with his 9 int and 7 wis, has channeled into his future descendants undefined destiny and, faintly parting both time and space, has grasped that this machine creates a paradoxical outcome and thus cannot exist in this realm, the realm of commonly occurring miracles and unexplainable mysticism. Ooog smugly passes through the machine seemingly without a thought."

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I guess the in universe answer would be something like “imagine a spell scroll with the following spell: Turing’s Paradoxical Prestidigitation, casting time: 1 reaction, when a mechanical dragon declares this scroll chants forever; or infinite if a mechanical dragon declares this spell can be cast”

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bogan Krkic posted:

If we're sharing tables, this is a dining table I got for free off marketplace housing a 55" tv with a dead pixel line that was otherwise going to the charity shop. Cut and routed a hole so it sits flush with the table, and taped a big piece of perspex over the top so it doesn't scratch.

This is freakin' cool. Thank you for posting it!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Ravenson posted:

Like they said, this is a computer science problem. "Is there a general algorithm for deciding if a program will stop running or if it will get stuck in an infinite loop indefinitely?"

ty

bc I don't know the source, I got stuck on the grammar here

Raenir Salazar posted:

spell scroll it consumes will cast or will continue to chant forever

and thought it meant "continue to cast/chant forever [both of which mean the same thing]"

but I wouldn't have gotten it regardless :cool:

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
So, I want to see if I got this: would putting in a scroll of silence break the machine as well?

In that it's constantly trying to cast the silence spell on itself, which inherently fails because of the silence spell it cast on itself?

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

pseudosavior posted:

So, I want to see if I got this: would putting in a scroll of silence break the machine as well?

In that it's constantly trying to cast the silence spell on itself, which inherently fails because of the silence spell it cast on itself?

The dragon doesn't cast the spell, just tells you a property of the spell, so no.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The way I sorta imagine it is, imagine you have a Spell Scroll, usually depending on the edition of D&D requires an Arcana check to use. My thinking is that to a regular non-wizard it just looks like gibberish; so the Statue can either tell you that the Scroll can be Cast, or it cannot be cast in that reading the spell scroll/chanting/doing the "casting" will continue forever.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Raenir Salazar posted:

The way I sorta imagine it is, imagine you have a Spell Scroll, usually depending on the edition of D&D requires an Arcana check to use. My thinking is that to a regular non-wizard it just looks like gibberish; so the Statue can either tell you that the Scroll can be Cast, or it cannot be cast in that reading the spell scroll/chanting/doing the "casting" will continue forever.

I wouldn't like, actually recommend using this unless it's purely as a joke and there's a few people in your group who do computer science and would get a laugh out of the reference. It seems to require a lot of assumptions on how spell scrolls work that I don't think reflect how spellcasting from scrolls has ever worked in any edition. In 1st-3rd editon you first had to decipher a spell before you could use it, in AD&D you had to decipher it with Read Magic, in 3rd edition you could additionally decipher it with a Spellcraft check (I think it was DC:20 + spell level?), but that went away in 5th edition (and I never played a huge amount of 4th edition but I don't remember that really having scrolls much at all). In any case, in all editions, as long as you know what the spell scroll is you can cast it if you're of the right class and right level, and you make a spellcasting ability check or an equivalent to check if the spell fails/mishaps if it's higher level than you can cast. If you try to cast a spell that you literally can't (e.g. you're a fighter), well, you just don't--nothing about getting stuck in an infinite loop.

I don't think there's any time where attempting to cast a spell from a scroll could leave you chanting forever, and unless this is some pre-established house rule at your table or something it's likely just going to leave your players confused, I think.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 4, 2024

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Reveilled posted:

I wouldn't like, actually recommend using this unless it's purely as a joke and there's a few people in your group who do computer science and would get a laugh out of the reference. It seems to require a lot of assumptions on how spell scrolls work that I don't think reflect how spellcasting from scrolls has ever worked in any edition. In 1st-3rd editon you first had to decipher a spell before you could use it, in AD&D you had to decipher it with Read Magic, in 3rd edition you could additionally decipher it with a Spellcraft check (I think it was DC:20 + spell level?), but that went away in 5th edition (and I never played a huge amount of 4th edition but I don't remember that really having scrolls much at all). In any case, in all editions, as long as you know what the spell scroll is you can cast it if you're of the right class and right level, and you make a spellcasting ability check or an equivalent to check if the spell fails/mishaps if it's higher level than you can cast. If you try to cast a spell that you literally can't (e.g. you're a fighter), well, you just don't--nothing about getting stuck in an infinite loop.

I don't think there's any time where attempting to cast a spell from a scroll could leave you chanting forever, and unless this is some pre-established house rule at your table or something it's likely just going to leave your players confused, I think.

Oh yeah, I was only thinking of it as a joke. But I did think of it in relation to another joke for a D&D Puzzle which was to turn all of the Leet Code coding exercises into D&D puzzles. But wasn't sure how to make it work; like maybe if there's like a small army of warforged gnomes who can receive a sequence of simple commands?

As an example, "You enter into a gargantuan room, it is in the shape of a cube, there is the one entrance you came in from, and there is only one exit, to leave the room you must enter in a precise number. There is a button in the middle of a dais in front of the entrance which activates the warforged automatons. They will execute their commands in sequence in which the commands were recorded into their minds. (any infinite loops will cause all of the gnomes to immediately cease all commands, and no further commands will be executed until the button is pressed again) The commands can be any simple one sentence command in plain language, such as "go here", "remember the word 'coin'", "remember the number 5", "remember the number that a specific gnome happens to have, if any.", "name a gnome."

When the button is pressed immediately 100,000 sparking gems will randomly appear within the room. There is also a silver strand forming a curved line that crosses across the room, forming a quarter of a circle within the confines of the room, the room as a reminder is a perfect cube; and half the diameter of the circle aligns with two of the walls perfectly with the center of the circle fixed to the southwest corner of the room to your left upon entering the room.

Given that the formula for determining whether a gem is inside the quarter circle is defined by X*X + Y*Y <= 1, and that the probability that a gem is inside the circle is pi/4, if you successfully get the gnomes to produce a valid approximation of pi, the door will open."

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 4, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
As you enter the room, the door slams shut behind you. Moments later an infinitely complex array of moving multicoloured gems and gossamer strands of connecting silver fragile appear in the room. Clearly this is the work of a deviously formidable intelect.

You cannot escape until you solve the impossibly difficult puzzle with a DC 38 investigation or arcana check, or break it with a DC 2 strength check

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Closest I got to this bullshit was a scale puzzle where you had to use algebra to figure out the weights of different kinds of orbs

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

homeless snail posted:

Closest I got to this bullshit was a scale puzzle where you had to use algebra to figure out the weights of different kinds of orbs

Tell me more :)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I could probably find the notes with the specific puzzles but, the theme of it was an abandoned alchemy lab and the specific school of alchemy they practiced was all about perfectly balancing the elements of earth wind and fire, with backstory of the master alchemist trying to drill his apprentice on it so he turned their lab into a math test/escape room. Everywhere you go in the dungeon you run into recurring elements of ground truths of like, murals on the walls showing X green orbs equal Y blues or whatever, and puzzle locks where you have to put a certain combination of orbs on one side of the scale to equal whatever fixed basket of orbs was on the other side.

At the end of it, you enter the master's chamber where he was crafting an alchemy golem that is severely out of balance, and the final test is the golem gets weaker the more precisely you can balance the alchemical equation. (and then it turns out the golem had killed the master because of math hubris or something, and the apprentice was too dumb to solve the lock on his chamber door)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
The door slams behind the PCs. On the wall is a vivid pink button. If they press the button, a rangy and haggard man appears and proves that he is Kirk Johnson. The door opens after 1 minute.

If the PCs do nothing, the door opens after 1 minute.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Press the button

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Empty Sandwich posted:

The door slams behind the PCs. On the wall is a vivid pink button. If they press the button, a rangy and haggard man appears and proves that he is Kirk Johnson. The door opens after 1 minute.

If the PCs do nothing, the door opens after 1 minute.

now that's what I call a magic ring

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I had a child's Tower of Hanoi puzzle and I whipped that out at one point to mess with some friends in a one-shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Whatever you do don’t run a Lights Out puzzle or your players will be stuck for a while (in my experience)