Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

MillennialVulcan posted:

How is Ishin, both play and storywise?

its v good and one of my fave RGG games. Gun style is p overpowered though which takes away from some of the fun of "I'm a bad rear end samurai." Story is probably better for Japanese people tbh. Just because there's a lot of stuff which depends on you already knowing who these people are. Like a guy will introduce himself and its v obvious that its supposed to be a huge mic drop of a moment "By the way my name is... GEORGE WASHINGTON" and you have no idea who the hell this guy is.

Worst part of the game is the substories. Its all friendships. All of them. Literally every shopkeeper, 3 different dogs, 3 different cats, a sumo wrestler every character you meet probably has a friendship attached

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Its good having friends

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
I want to raise my friendship meter with you all itt

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
can't ever imagine describing the ability to befriend dogs and cats as a bad thing

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Like a guy will introduce himself and its v obvious that its supposed to be a huge mic drop of a moment "By the way my name is... GEORGE WASHINGTON" and you have no idea who the hell this guy is.

I filled the time between IW and FF7 Rebirth with Ishin (I haven't beaten it but I'm almost at the finale) and as a history nerd who's done some reading about Japanese history, I absolutely marked out at a few of the appearances. My wife's watching along and is just like "why are you like this?"

Still a good RGG game if you don't have that, but that that's here is absolutely marvelous for me.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Give me a potato 5 times and maybe

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

tracecomplete posted:

I filled the time between IW and FF7 Rebirth with Ishin (I haven't beaten it but I'm almost at the finale) and as a history nerd who's done some reading about Japanese history, I absolutely marked out at a few of the appearances. My wife's watching along and is just like "why are you like this?"

Still a good RGG game if you don't have that, but that that's here is absolutely marvelous for me.

I don't know the period that well but watched the excellent Kenshin: beginnings movie a year or two back and a ton of the names were the same. Like oh, majima is soji? Ok he's the short guy with tuberculosis and the best katana fight in film history and works for the "shinshingumei" whoever that is

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

trevorreznik posted:

I don't know the period that well but watched the excellent Kenshin: beginnings movie a year or two back and a ton of the names were the same. Like oh, majima is soji? Ok he's the short guy with tuberculosis and the best katana fight in film history and works for the "shinshingumei" whoever that is

The game isn't even remotely historical (like there was a real Saito Hajime, he lived until 1915) but some of the riffs are kinda-clever nods to historical knowledge--we have the name of Okita's original identity, Hirayama Goro, but there isn't much known about him, so, hey, let's make them the same guy, maybe because Hirayama might have only had one eye! It's fun. They didn't take it seriously and trying to read deeply into it would be silly, but it's fun.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

any moneybags ppl in here play the dlc? how is it

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Dongicus posted:

any moneybags ppl in here play the dlc? how is it

The Big Swell is “just another dungeon” but there are some fun and amusing cutscenes.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
It's not worth it; the dungeon is honestly worse than the normal ones, and you can probably find the cutscenes on youtube by now.

So unless you really value gold swimsuits and other costumes (and I will admit I love Saeko's karaoke goth girl outfit), I'd pass.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you’re a trophy person it’s the best way to get to 70 for the plat and gives you the options to go over the ng+ trophies too but otherwise it’s whatever

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Captain Walker posted:

The Memoirs of a Dragon from 8 are great, but it feels like one is conspicuously missing: A Man Named Yoshitaka Mine. Not that I have any idea where you'd put it in Kamurocho. But I would argue one of the biggest contributing factors to the collapse of the Tojo Clan is that character's absence during the events of 4 and 5.

He even gets a nod in Kiryu's Essence of Remembrance skill. At this point I will only accept that he's spent the last decade in hiding as Daigo's live-in boyfriend.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I just spent an hour in premium adventure going through the Yokohama dungeon floors 11-30 for the first time, then another hour clearing part time hero missions , a bunch of street fights etc and FINALLY got my awakening to 9.

As soon as I did, 4 shine finale unlocked. That two hours of fighting grind was all worth it

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 3, 2024

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Vikar Jerome posted:

Just quote me and I'll fill the meter a little bit but I'll also say the story is END.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

Just quote me and I'll fill the meter a little bit but I'll also say the story is END.

*slap bass*

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Vikar Jerome posted:

Treat me to a giant chinese dinner featuring "everything on the menu, to complete this restaurant", I'll tell you a fascinating anecdote about my fear of ducks or something ; and we'll call it even (+20 meter).

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Had a bit of whiplash going from (IW Kiryu last link spoiler) the last Link with Kiryu swearing never to meet his friends ever again, only to then notice the continuation of the 4Shine substory because I forgot to go do that first :negative:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

I've heard Dead Souls described as a "beat em up with guns instead of fists". I have the dubious honor of holding the platinum trophy and I could not tell you what this means.

It's mentioned in Gaiden that Ryuji Goda would never trust in anything but his own two hands to win a fight, so I guess technically they did get that right.

The Memoirs of a Dragon from 8 are great, but it feels like one is conspicuously missing: A Man Named Yoshitaka Mine. Not that I have any idea where you'd put it in Kamurocho. But I would argue one of the biggest contributing factors to the collapse of the Tojo Clan is that character's absence during the events of 4 and 5.

On another note entirely, do the new tracks for Ishin Kiwami have official names anywhere? The names we do have seem to be from YouTube randos, and I can't find any record of an official release for the new mixes. "Soar" in particular seems like it's a made-up name, "Fly -Reincarnation-" seems more fitting.

Kuze is also conspicuous in his absence from the memoirs. Like even if they couldn't get the actor back to show up I feel like he merits a mention.

Woulda been cool to have Kiryu actually meet him too, he's very old but alive and a civilian as of Online at least.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 3, 2024

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Made it through Ichiban's portion of the IW finale and lol that the island is straight-up the Resident Evil 4 finale island, from the old tropical ruins and caves housing a secret underground facility to the machine-gun wielding death cultists to literal monster guardians

Also as a good example of how messed up this game's pacing is its crazy that instead of letting you switch to whichever party you want once you get to the 'hey the final battle is coming up better resolve any lingering substories and also change the time of day' part, they only let you do it in Hawaii, then you do that big climactic battle, then they drop you in Yokohama to do the same thing. Hope Ichiban is cool with hanging out on the nuclear dump island for several days as Kiryu continues loving around and reminiscing across Japan I guess!

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 3, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ichiban spent almost a whole month loving around on a resort island without ever telling his friends where he was going or what he was up to and nobody said poo poo about it, he can deal with it.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

Made it through Ichiban's portion of the IW finale and lol that the island is straight-up the Resident Evil 4 finale island, from the old tropical ruins and caves housing a secret underground facility to the machine-gun wielding death cultists to literal monster guardians

Also as a good example of how messed up this game's pacing is its crazy that instead of letting you switch to whichever party you want once you get to the 'hey the final battle is coming up better resolve any lingering substories and also change the time of day' part, they only let you do it in Hawaii, then you do that big climactic battle, then they drop you in Yokohama to do the same thing. Hope Ichiban is cool with hanging out on the nuclear dump island for several days as Kiryu continues loving around and reminiscing across Japan I guess!

the games pacing is hosed but this is barely an example of that lol. You've been able to dawdle and gently caress around during a time sensitive crisis in literally every game

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I just started Yakuza 4. Went to Bob and got some items, but one box has a weapon Akiyama can’t equip. Can I give it to whoever can equip it later or should I visit Bob with specific characters for specific boxes?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think my only real/serious gripe with IW in hindsight is that it needed more Substories. Feels like there weren't many compared with other LAD/Judgement games.

Edit: in terms of plot I think the single goofiest thing to me was Daidoji continuing to flip out about Kiryu meeting people after the huge VTuber, who is literally referenced on mainstream television and has like a billion subscribers, reported on him being alive. It seems like those Kiryu events occurred in some separate reality where his existence hadn't already been revealed to all of Japanese society(even though I think at least one - with the taxi guy from Y5 - references the Vtuber video).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 3, 2024

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Frog Act posted:

So I just started Yakuza 4. Went to Bob and got some items, but one box has a weapon Akiyama can’t equip. Can I give it to whoever can equip it later or should I visit Bob with specific characters for specific boxes?

IIRC you can't share items until the finale so yeah, it's optimal to be more strategic about who opens what if you don't want to miss out on those things.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

the games pacing is hosed but this is barely an example of that lol. You've been able to dawdle and gently caress around during a time sensitive crisis in literally every game

True! It's more weird in that it's dividing up the big finale that way, unlike say Y0 where once you were ready to go it was a huge climax that switched seamlessly between the Kiryu/Majima sides.

Ainsley McTree posted:

IIRC you can't share items until the finale so yeah, it's optimal to be more strategic about who opens what if you don't want to miss out on those things.

I don't know if the game ever tells you who can use what weapon type though, so unless it lists all the restrictions somewhere in a CyricZ guide even knowing what items are in what Bob fun pack is of marginal utility.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Wolfsheim posted:

True! It's more weird in that it's dividing up the big finale that way, unlike say Y0 where once you were ready to go it was a huge climax that switched seamlessly between the Kiryu/Majima sides.

If I'm being charitable, they may have decided to split it up this way because iirc the two Y0 finales combined were about an hour in total, and in 8 each character's finale takes at least that long.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

someone on youtube pointed out that The End of Denial has a heavy synth vibe and that could be interpreted as a reference to how Kiryu's journey started back in the 80s. blew my mind, tbh.

I have to rank it in my top 5 of final boss themes in this series

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
0's my all time fave but I found both last bosses and the future plot-necessitated decisions to spare / keep working for Dojima a little unsatisfying, so as silly as it was, it was nice in Infinite Wealth that they just let you beat up the old guys responsible for all the bs at the end.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The final battle on Kasuga's side kind of had the mood soured by the fact that his goons all yell grade-school insults at you constantly. As for Kiryu's side it is unclear how fist-fighting Ebina is supposed to actually solve anything.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's just the way of the yakuza.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

The final battle on Kasuga's side kind of had the mood soured by the fact that his goons all yell grade-school insults at you constantly. As for Kiryu's side it is unclear how fist-fighting Ebina is supposed to actually solve anything.

it is well established in yakuza that you can communicate your worldview to somebody by punching it into them

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

spoilers for like chapter 12 i think and a summon spoiler but ive been lol'ing at this all morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZguchDHHrI

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Sapozhnik posted:

one of them said like "is that a trashbin or YOUR MOM? and it ruled

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Randallteal posted:

0's my all time fave but I found both last bosses and the future plot-necessitated decisions to spare / keep working for Dojima a little unsatisfying, so as silly as it was, it was nice in Infinite Wealth that they just let you beat up the old guys responsible for all the bs at the end.

It does kind of blow my mind that at the end of Yakuza 0 Dojima is like, "Yeah sure Kiryu, you can come work for me again. Kazama too."

I guess in Kiryu's case it could be the same logic Shimano has for keeping Majima around; wanting a weapon like him at his side, but Kazama? I actually wound up sympathising with Dojima because the game starts with a lot of stuff about how he's sidelining Kazama and getting his lieutenants gunned up to take his spot, but as the plot develops it becomes clear that Kazama has been undermining and working against Dojima for a long time, gently caress yeah you'd want to get rid of a liability like that as your captain.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't know if the game ever tells you who can use what weapon type though, so unless it lists all the restrictions somewhere in a CyricZ guide even knowing what items are in what Bob fun pack is of marginal utility.

From memory:

Akiyama - nunchaku and kali sticks
Saejima - katanas and hammers (and/or guns? I forget saejima a little)
Tanimura - Tonfa and spears

And Kiryu can do whatever he wants of course. But yeah, it’s all a little opaque and probably not worth stressing over too much, it’s just weapons in the end.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://x.com/MarioEmblem_2/status/1764509470598533453?s=20

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I both love and hate the Trouble Finder at the same time.
Also, sometimes I just want to save my game. I don't want a quest to start while I am running towards the phone booth. Especially one that takes 15 minutes of unskippable crap before I am free again. Free to bump it another unskippable quest.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

It seems like Kasuga's side had already basically solved the main problems of the game. Kiryu's was then about hopefully preventing Ebina from getting up to new poo poo in the future (and Kiryu feeling personal responsibility for Ebina and the state of the Yakuza in general).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

From memory:

Akiyama - nunchaku and kali sticks
Saejima - katanas and hammers (and/or guns? I forget saejima a little)
Tanimura - Tonfa and spears

And Kiryu can do whatever he wants of course. But yeah, it’s all a little opaque and probably not worth stressing over too much, it’s just weapons in the end.

Thanks everyone! Yeah that’s annoying I’m just gonna ignore it, I cheated a few times in Yakuza 3 and didn’t finish much besides the story and hitman missions (though 27% for 27 hours felt a bit rough) so I’ll just power through without painstakingly retrieving boxes on certain guys