Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

RoW does feature a lot more overt references to wider cosmere stuff than the previous Stormlight books, but definitely nothing that is required reading before getting into. Many people will recommend reading Warbreaker before Oathbringer, but you won't miss any major story things by not having read it first. I read up through Oathbringer before reading anything else from the cosmere and I have no regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
WoR - Chapter 84

"I will protect even those I hate..So long as it is right!"

Chills. Literal. loving. Chills.

Kaladin Stormblessed is a Knights Radiant. Ohhhhhhhh shitttttt. The way it all happened. My god. I see this scene playing out like Thor's transformation in Thor: Ragnarok where he suddenly feels worthy of his immense power because he realized he needed to be the person who would do what was right for all of Asguard (link for said scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_LZU7TdvWA.)

Goddamnit, I love this book so much.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I finished Words of Radiance, and I have some thoughts, opinions, and predictions:

• Thank you Adolin for killing Sadeas. He was getting on my nerves. However, I think Ialai will become a problem since she ran the spy network and set up the assassination attempt.
  • Shallan will have to come clean to everyone about Veil. The Ghostbloods seem to be after much more than getting to the lost city.
  • Speaking of Adolin, it must suck that his brother, dad, cousin, and wife-to-be are all Knights Radiant. Why was he left out?
  • Renarin is in a position where he will become the leading man soon. Truthwatcher... so he can see the future?
  • Jasnah Kholin is back from the dead. Did she go to the Tranquiline Halls? Shadesmar? Who knows, but she seems to know way more now than before.
  • Wit is a God, or maybe the Satan of Roshar. He knows everything.
  • Szeth will become an anti-hero, isn't he? A blacl shardblade while learning from Nin. Yeah, he is a menace.
  • Taravangian seems also to have some powers or his blessing/curse from the Nightwatcher is hugely power. Hopefully, justice comes for him.
  • The girl with all those Awesomeness powers will be a Knights Radiant at some point.
  • BOLD HOT TAKE: All of Bridge 4 will get Stormlight Powers. They deserve it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I finished Words of Radiance, and I have some thoughts, opinions, and predictions:

• Thank you Adolin for killing Sadeas. He was getting on my nerves. However, I think Ialai will become a problem since she ran the spy network and set up the assassination attempt.
  • Shallan will have to come clean to everyone about Veil. The Ghostbloods seem to be after much more than getting to the lost city.
  • Speaking of Adolin, it must suck that his brother, dad, cousin, and wife-to-be are all Knights Radiant. Why was he left out?
  • Renarin is in a position where he will become the leading man soon. Truthwatcher... so he can see the future?
  • Jasnah Kholin is back from the dead. Did she go to the Tranquiline Halls? Shadesmar? Who knows, but she seems to know way more now than before.
  • Wit is a God, or maybe the Satan of Roshar. He knows everything.
  • Szeth will become an anti-hero, isn't he? A blacl shardblade while learning from Nin. Yeah, he is a menace.
  • Taravangian seems also to have some powers or his blessing/curse from the Nightwatcher is hugely power. Hopefully, justice comes for him.
  • The girl with all those Awesomeness powers will be a Knights Radiant at some point.
  • BOLD HOT TAKE: All of Bridge 4 will get Stormlight Powers. They deserve it.

Wow, these are some cool predictions. You're quite wrong on some, and quite close on others. I think you will really enjoy Oathbringer.

I guess the Stormlight Archive books are your first Sanderson books? Sanderson has this big shared setting called the Cosmere. So his Mistborn books for example are set on a different planet, but it is possible to travel between these worlds, even if such travel is difficult and rare. There's some crossover, and SA is planned to be his big crossover series. But the books stand very well on their own, you won't have any trouble understanding things for not having read the other books. If you decide to try Sanderson's other works, I cannot recommend Mistborn high enough. And you should also definitely check out Warbringer, which you can read for free on Sanderson's website.

Back to Stormlight Archive, after Words of Radiance, Edgedancer comes next, both chronologically and in publication order. It's about that girl who's Awesome. You can safely skip that novella if you want, but you might be interested to read it anyway. And between Oathbringer and Rhythm of War comes the novella Dawnshard.

It's been a blast to read your posts. We always love to see new readers enjoy Sanderson.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Torrannor posted:

Wow, these are some cool predictions. You're quite wrong on some, and quite close on others. I think you will really enjoy Oathbringer.

I guess the Stormlight Archive books are your first Sanderson books? Sanderson has this big shared setting called the Cosmere. So his Mistborn books for example are set on a different planet, but it is possible to travel between these worlds, even if such travel is difficult and rare. There's some crossover, and SA is planned to be his big crossover series. But the books stand very well on their own, you won't have any trouble understanding things for not having read the other books. If you decide to try Sanderson's other works, I cannot recommend Mistborn high enough. And you should also definitely check out Warbringer, which you can read for free on Sanderson's website.

Back to Stormlight Archive, after Words of Radiance, Edgedancer comes next, both chronologically and in publication order. It's about that girl who's Awesome. You can safely skip that novella if you want, but you might be interested to read it anyway. And between Oathbringer and Rhythm of War comes the novella Dawnshard.

It's been a blast to read your posts. We always love to see new readers enjoy Sanderson.

I’m quickly breezing through Edgedancer. Then it’s off to Oathbringer.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Am I the only one who doesn't like Wit? Loved the bits where he was actually being the king's wit, but otherwise he's like if Tom Bombadil kept popping up throughout LOTR or some poo poo. It's probably because I haven't read any of the other cosmere stuff aside from Mistborn 1-3 and my assumption is that Wit is some broader cosmere character? Either way, characters who are seemingly well intentioned but act cryptic and withhold information for never-specified "bigger reasons" are one of my least favourite tropes in fantasy.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

voiceless anal fricative posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't like Wit? Loved the bits where he was actually being the king's wit, but otherwise he's like if Tom Bombadil kept popping up throughout LOTR or some poo poo. It's probably because I haven't read any of the other cosmere stuff aside from Mistborn 1-3 and my assumption is that Wit is some broader cosmere character? Either way, characters who are seemingly well intentioned but act cryptic and withhold information for never-specified "bigger reasons" are one of my least favourite tropes in fantasy.

I'm on the fence. I think, at times, I feel like he seems too clever by half. But a lot of my opinion is being held until we get further progress in the Cosmere.

Broader full Cosmere spoilers (view at your own discretion) - Wit is mainly known as Hoid (among many other names). He can be found in nearly every single Cosmere book in at least a minor role. You can kinda think of him as the Stan Lee of the BYU MCU. Except he is very connected to the past of the world.

Specific Wit full Cosmere spoilers - Wit/Hoid was present at the Shattering of Adonalsium. Adonalsium was some cosmic capital G-God or cosmic force. Each piece of Adonalsium was taken up as a "shard" by one of the 16 people who committed the Shattering. Hoid was present but seemingly not pro-Shattering. He is clearly up to things behind the scenes and working to get the invested powers from each Shard. We do not know what his endgame is.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Wit?

I find that Sanderson's comedy is usually some of his worst output, particularly when it comes to the characters who are supposed to be funny, so Wit is usually where my eyes glaze over in these books. He does have some good appearances though, particularly secret novels 1 & 3, where he's a useless idiot and a piece of furniture respectively. Also more seriously I liked his appearance in The Sunlit Man and I liked his cameo in Warbreaker.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Am I the only one who doesn't like Wit?

You are not alone. I find his presence generally grating but I assume that’s intentional both on the character’s part and the author’s part.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

He's a hard guy to actually like, but he's a lot more tolerable as you read more books and learn more about why he's acting like that and what he knows. He starts to open up a bit in Oathbringer and he's downright blunt in RoW, if it helps to know that.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Mordiceius posted:

Specific Wit full Cosmere spoilers - Wit/Hoid was present at the Shattering of Adonalsium. Adonalsium was some cosmic capital G-God or cosmic force. Each piece of Adonalsium was taken up as a "shard" by one of the 16 people who committed the Shattering. Hoid was present but seemingly not pro-Shattering. He is clearly up to things behind the scenes and working to get the invested powers from each Shard. We do not know what his endgame is.

lol "present" is underselling it just a bit.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mordiceius posted:

Hoid was present but seemingly not pro-Shattering.

There's a good chance you know more than me and may well be correct, but my impression was he wasn't necessarily anti-shattering, he just didn't want to take a shard

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It feels like more people than not dislike Wit in the series itself on some level.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

He's got a lot of really great scenes especially in Stormlight, but there are definitely times where comes off as a self-indulgent author insert. His deeper character is really interesting and creative and I really enjoy basically every scene where he's being sincere with other characters. But when he's trying to be witty and quippy he gets really tiresome really fast, and any time he waxes poetic about how "stories are everything" I can't help but roll my eyes. It gives the same vibe as movies made about making movies, where everyone involved is just fellating themselves about how cool and awesome they are for making movies.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Taffer posted:

He's got a lot of really great scenes especially in Stormlight, but there are definitely times where comes off as a self-indulgent author insert. His deeper character is really interesting and creative and I really enjoy basically every scene where he's being sincere with other characters. But when he's trying to be witty and quippy he gets really tiresome really fast, and any time he waxes poetic about how "stories are everything" I can't help but roll my eyes. It gives the same vibe as movies made about making movies, where everyone involved is just fellating themselves about how cool and awesome they are for making movies.

I could not agree more. This is a great description and is basically where I stand on things.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

I could not agree more. This is a great description and is basically where I stand on things.

:emptyquote:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I like Wit principally for two reasons.
1. I agree with him about how pivotal stories are to our lives.
2. He's the one character I wonder about most. I wonder just where he'll end up and why.

I've seen some folks say he'll be a villain of sorts but I don't think so. His interactions with Shallan in WoR and OB are so incredibly sweet. It shows that he does actually care and that this isn't simply a personal vendetta for him.

This is totally unrelated, but I've mentioned before in this thread I love Red Dead Redemption and see a lot of similarities between my favorite character there (Dutch van der Linde) and Kelsier. I was discussing this on reddit yesterday and when assessing their similarities or differences, Dutch's ego and his need for others to worship him came up. But there is a scene from Final Empire which has endlessly fascinated me and I've never forgotten it:

quote:

Kelsier said as the crowd began to make way for parents bringing their children forward. It seemed like everyone in the room wanted their sons to meet Kelsier personally. Vin watched with mixed feelings. The crew still had reservations regarding Kelsier’s rising fame with the skaa, though they kept their word and remained silent.

He really does seem to care for them, Vin thought, watching Kelsier pick up a small child. I don’t think it’s just a show. This is how he is—he loves people, loves the skaa. But . . . it’s more like the love of a parent for a child than it is like the love of a man for his equals.

Was that so wrong? He was, after all, a kind of father to the skaa. He was the noble lord they always should have had. Still, Vin couldn’t help feeling uncomfortable as she watched the faintly illuminated, dirty faces of those skaa families, their eyes worshipful and reverent.

It's kinda funny how reversed they are. Kel mostly didn't put on airs with his crew, he was only a messiah to the people he didn't really know. Dutch was a messiah to his crew and had no real interest in what wider society thought of him.

But anyway, I've talked in the past about Sanderson's silly pronouncement that Kel is a psychopath. but I think it's more than likely a narcissist, same as Dutch. Narcissists are not incapable of feeling or caring about others, they just have a strong sense of self and their superiority to others. Kel seems to clearly view himself as a cut above the common folk. He might have dedicated himself wholeheartedly to helping the ska but he doesn't think of himself as being anything really like them, even now.

Granting of course that Vin's observation is 100% accurate and reliable. It's kind of a danger when reading the assessment of the main character. Is their opinion identical with the writer's? In this instance, I feel comfortable in saying that it is given Word of Brandon and also the fact that this scene only really exists for Vin to make this appraisal. It also just helps to contrast Kel and Vin even more.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Ugh, it’s too hard to make arguments about Wit when we have so many readers in this thread who are at different places in the Cosmere. I can’t remember what comes up when, so the only tag I can safely use is “everything currently published”: I agree that there are similarities between Hoid and Sanderson, in that they both are clever individuals with long term plans, who ask those around them for trust while those plans come to fruition. I just see that as more accidental than intentional. And hasn’t Sanderson said he considered a different character as his self-insert? Maybe I’m conflating Sanderson with Jordan again.

In any case, I’m also on team “Hoid will be a villain”. Either Hoid is collecting power to stop some heretofore unknown threat to the Cosmere, or he’s collecting power for himself. It feels like he’s being set up for a run at becoming a new Adonalsium, when the “good ending” would be the shards losing their personhood and becoming forces of nature that can no longer be held by individuals. Of course, the fact that I am guessing this means that Sanderson has something else planned, that still fits with available evidence we’ve seen.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I really enjoy Wit’s quips toward regal people but in Tress as Hoid he was really annoying as a narrator, and his jokes fell a bit flat or were so meta that it took some additional thinking to understand them.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

roshar is arrakis send tweet

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
Just finished Words of Radiance part 3 - folks, I am hooting and hollering. Was yelling in the car during my audiobook listen like I had a football game on.

I knew it would be Kalladin coming in to save the day for Adolin, but it was still a blockbuster moment. Kalladin gets owned again, does the right thing but ends up in jail. So excited to see where this goes.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

81sidewinder posted:

Just finished Words of Radiance part 3 - folks, I am hooting and hollering. Was yelling in the car during my audiobook listen like I had a football game on.

I knew it would be Kalladin coming in to save the day for Adolin, but it was still a blockbuster moment. Kalladin gets owned again, does the right thing but ends up in jail. So excited to see where this goes.

This is still my favorite scene in the series. There are lots more that are amazing, that have more emotional moments, that have better action, or whatever.

But nothing makes me smile more than that scene.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yep agreed. That one's an all-timer

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

ConfusedUs posted:

This is still my favorite scene in the series. There are lots more that are amazing, that have more emotional moments, that have better action, or whatever.

But nothing makes me smile more than that scene.

Totally agreed

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9HEKnswsy0

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

So is it just the WoR leatherbound or do you think he'll announce something else too?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

So is it just the WoR leatherbound or do you think he'll announce something else too?

No clue. I have no idea what's going on.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Maybe he wrote the Words of Radiance Edgedancer/Dawnshard equivalent novella?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
He's been trolling us with 631 showing up in the background of the most recent videos, and tomorrows is the 631st video on his youtube channel, so it may just be that, but I think he's got a set of 631 Secret Projects to announce.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

He's been trolling us with 631 showing up in the background of the most recent videos, and tomorrows is the 631st video on his youtube channel, so it may just be that, but I think he's got a set of 631 Secret Projects to announce.

Turns out in the time it took for this video to get posted, he's now up to 638 secret projects

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pik_d posted:

That's a reasonable guess, I think.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

pik_d posted:

6/31 is June 31st, a date that doesn't exist... except that this is a leap year, so if you think about it, June 30th is really June 31st!

Stormlight Netflix adaptation launching on June 30th confirmed

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I really like Wit. But I think at least part of that is the actor who played him on the audiobook. He's got a lot of charisma. That plus mystery surrounding him is probably the most interesting plot thread I've encountered in the Cosmere.

Whenever Wit's not on screen everyone should be asking "Where's Wit?"

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I decided to read TWoK to give it another fair chance, and the Prologue is interesting in two respects. First, it's hilarious how Szeth is an overpowering force of nature for the first two books, but looking at him with four books' worth of knowledge, it's obvious just what a weak reflection of a Radiant he is. He can't hold Stormlight worth a drat and spends too much to do too little (he says it'll take him hours to recover from a broken jaw, and couldn't recover if a Shardblade took out a limb), needs ten heartbeats to summon his Blade, can't shapeshift it, and couldn't wear Plate without it interfering with his powers. All he has going for him is being an out-of-context problem and his superior training. Second, and more disappointing, is that Sanderson is cheating, which is something he very rarely does if at all. The narration repeatedly and frequently refers to Szeth's Shardblade. He knows drat well that's not what he's using. It's a cheat.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CapnAndy posted:

I decided to read TWoK to give it another fair chance, and the Prologue is interesting in two respects. First, it's hilarious how Szeth is an overpowering force of nature for the first two books, but looking at him with four books' worth of knowledge, it's obvious just what a weak reflection of a Radiant he is. He can't hold Stormlight worth a drat and spends too much to do too little (he says it'll take him hours to recover from a broken jaw, and couldn't recover if a Shardblade took out a limb), needs ten heartbeats to summon his Blade, can't shapeshift it, and couldn't wear Plate without it interfering with his powers. All he has going for him is being an out-of-context problem and his superior training. Second, and more disappointing, is that Sanderson is cheating, which is something he very rarely does if at all. The narration repeatedly and frequently refers to Szeth's Shardblade. He knows drat well that's not what he's using. It's a cheat.

It's strange that it takes him ten heartbeats to summon the honorblade, what possible justification could there be for that? We know why dead shardblades need the ten heartbeats, but honorblades shouldn't require any time to summon.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

they're all subsets of shardblades, yes even that one.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

10 minutes until this starts

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

pik_d posted:

10 minutes until this starts

Had it open in a separate tab all morning, can't wait to spend a lot of money on books.

Having read twok prime and the sample chapters for dragonsteel, I am really excited to get my hands on dragonsteel prime. Hopefully, since the WoR are already signed and made (I believe?) there should be a short turnaround on this campaign.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Perfect timing, saw the new posts, clicked the link, 20 seconds on the timer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
So what is it? Another kickstarter?