Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

A whole generation can be called rich, even if one person is super rich and everybody else is super poor.

Years back, there was some stat showing the disproportionate percentage of wealth owned by Boomers. Millennials had something like 4% of the wealth and 3% of it was literally just Mark Zuckerberg.

I’m sure there’s more now - for example there’s Jared Kushner!

Rich people are scared as poo poo about mass uprisings, and they’re all building elaborate doomsday bunkers. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Years back, there was some stat showing the disproportionate percentage of wealth owned by Boomers. Millennials had something like 4% of the wealth and 3% of it was literally just Mark Zuckerberg.

Rich people are scared as poo poo about mass uprisings, and they’re all building elaborate doomsday bunkers. :lol:

I bet at this point in the US, Zuck and Kushner own ~10% of millennial wealth, thusly the wealthiest generation

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
They should stop building their bunkers in New Zealand then, all in the same place. Couple of nukes and glow in the dark sheep later, Robert is your father's brother.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

swamp loves us. swamp from central casting, with tears in eyes

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

The bunker stuff always cracks me up. I get not wanting to die in an uprising, but the correct choice is avoiding the uprising all together. How much luxury food could you possibly stockpile, a few years? In a global collapse an unpleasant death is an inevitably, but in your bunker you get to count the days accurately and watch it slowly approach lol

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

MrQwerty posted:

I bet at this point in the US, Zuck and Kushner own ~10% of millennial wealth, thusly the wealthiest generation

It wasn’t just of millennial wealth. Millennials owned 4% of total wealth (in America I assume) and 3% of the total wealth was just Zuckerberg, leaving millennials who weren’t Zuckerberg with just 1%.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

It wasn’t just of millennial wealth. Millennials owned 4% of total wealth (in America I assume) and 3% of the total wealth was just Zuckerberg, leaving millennials who weren’t Zuckerberg with just 1%.

Finally I'm a 1 percenter!
eats another pack of ramen

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
Mods please change my username to Scott Free

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1764015356186689813

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1764016351998271830

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

when are they gonna start counting Musk as a millennial to really juice those numbers

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Stinky Jack Smith, pee-ew, world class stinker. Always stinking up the place when he goes in, stinky stinky Smith.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

weg posted:

The bunker stuff always cracks me up. I get not wanting to die in an uprising, but the correct choice is avoiding the uprising all together. How much luxury food could you possibly stockpile, a few years? In a global collapse an unpleasant death is an inevitably, but in your bunker you get to count the days accurately and watch it slowly approach lol

The real question - how do you keep security loyal? Build robots? Whose going to maintain them? Other robots? what happens when you run out of spare parts?

Seems like building a big fancy bunker is setting up your Head of Security as a post-apocalyptic warlord with more steps, although another :lol: is Zuck learning MMA because he's probably reached this conclusion.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Vampire Panties posted:

The real question - how do you keep security loyal? Build robots? Whose going to maintain them? Other robots? what happens when you run out of spare parts?

Seems like building a big fancy bunker is setting up your Head of Security as a post-apocalyptic warlord with more steps, although another :lol: is Zuck learning MMA because he's probably reached this conclusion.

Some dude found out most of his brain chip type funding came from rich folks who want to implant their people so they will be loyal. Only reason they fund it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Vampire Panties posted:

Honestly these last 8 years has taught me that there are loads of people who would sign up to be the henchmen of a cartoon villain.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Vampire Panties posted:

Once again, years ago before the pandemic, journalist Anand Giridharadas claims to have had such conversations with Silicon Valley billionaires and claims he suggested, “Did you ever think of maybe being nice to people?”

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Vampire Panties posted:

The best is they are building these on Hawaiian islands, a place with a history of murking unwanted outsiders!

Zuck is being a total dickhead on Kauai, Benioff on the main island etc..

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Someone once said that the premise of the show Doomsday Preppers is that no matter how much you think you have covered, there’s always one glaringly obvious thing you’re missing because you’re stupid.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Someone once said that the premise of the show Doomsday Preppers is that no matter how much you think you have covered, there’s always one glaringly obvious thing you’re missing because you’re stupid.

*fires a rifle round while inside a metal box with no ear protection, barfs*

Fishmasher
Apr 22, 2002

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Once again, years ago before the pandemic, journalist Anand Giridharadas claims to have had such conversations with Silicon Valley billionaires and claims he suggested, “Did you ever think of maybe being nice to people?”
them's brain chippin words

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Your Favourite Swamp (SOME BODY)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

people at the rally are dying or something
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1764021945798942865

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

kazil posted:

Toxic shock from the stinky fumes coming out of Donald's diaper, a sure sign that he's going to die soon from making GBS threads himself to death, inshallah.

Pasty Doughboy
Dec 23, 2006
With red way hair. One day it will all be gone, I’ll go blind from the glare

kazil posted:

Did someone’s cognitive dissonance finally make them snap?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Vampire Panties posted:

They enslave the local surrounding people and seize control of resources and dole them out to the security forces and make them knights who now have a reason to back the status quo as they've got theirs. Yeah the head of security taking power will likely happen and kings got overthrown by their own goons several times in history; but more often than not the inbred dipshits, many easily as dumb if not more-so than a tech-bro, stayed where they are. I think its a mistake to assume the people inside the bunker aren't going to come out and wreck/seize/tax things at gun point.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 2, 2024

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Pasty Doughboy posted:

Did someone’s cognitive dissonance finally make them snap?

I think someone had a heart attack

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

kazil posted:

On one hand I hope that the mystery person is OK, but on the other, much larger hand, getting so excited to see Donald Trump that you have a heart attack and die is preeeetty funny.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

kazil posted:

Imagine dying at a Trump rally. Your heart just exploding out of your chest. Imagine.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

On one hand I hope that the mystery person is OK, but on the other, much larger hand, getting so excited to see Donald Trump that you have a heart attack and die is preeeetty funny.

He's finally reaching levels of stupid that causes members of the audience to stroke out just by listening to him

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

weg posted:

The bunker stuff always cracks me up. I get not wanting to die in an uprising, but the correct choice is avoiding the uprising all together.

But not by making the world a better place and the people content. We can't have that.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1764024825255710925

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

They came up to me, tears in their eyes, and said "Call 911!".

Rudy wakes once more.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Different journalist but the same premise.

quote:

This single question occupied us for the rest of the hour. They knew armed guards would be required to protect their compounds from raiders as well as angry mobs. One had already secured a dozen Navy Seals to make their way to his compound if he gave them the right cue. But how would he pay the guards once even his crypto was worthless? What would stop the guards from eventually choosing their own leader?

The billionaires considered using special combination locks on the food supply that only they knew. Or making guards wear disciplinary collars of some kind in return for their survival. Or maybe building robots to serve as guards and workers – if that technology could be developed “in time”.

I tried to reason with them. I made pro-social arguments for partnership and solidarity as the best approaches to our collective, long-term challenges. The way to get your guards to exhibit loyalty in the future was to treat them like friends right now, I explained. Don’t just invest in ammo and electric fences, invest in people and relationships. They rolled their eyes at what must have sounded to them like hippy philosophy.

Their extreme wealth and privilege served only to make them obsessed with insulating themselves from the very real and present danger of climate change, rising sea levels, mass migrations, global pandemics, nativist panic and resource depletion. For them, the future of technology is about only one thing: escape from the rest of us.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2022/sep/04/super-rich-prepper-bunkers-apocalypse-survival-richest-rushkoff

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
I've got a way they can escape everything.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

All these dudes could get together and literally write checks to solve every part of humanity's problems and be hailed as absolute heroes of humanity for generations to come

but then they'd be slightly less rich, and their brains won't allow them to do that

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

I can only imagine how slurred and hosed up Trump will sound after another 6 months.

We are coming so close of to the dream of him just stroking out mid rally.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I would simply get my navy seals addicted to Ketracel-white.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Verdugo posted:

Well CNN said today that Millenials are going to be the "richest generation in history." :rolleyes: No one told me.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/01/economy/millennials-richest-generation-in-history/index.html

Also funniest line from that Trumbux article:

"John Amann told NBC News he bought $2,200 worth of Trump Bucks and other items over the past year only to discover they were worthless when he tried to cash them in at his local bank." Wish I could have seen that teller's face.

The article says right at the top that the only people who will get anything are the children of rich people.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Monica Bellucci posted:

I've got a way they can escape everything.

carbon fiber submarines are the latest craze!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1764027610302939208

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

That wealth transfer ain’t happening. People don’t just up-and-die anymore, they decline over years, and the medical system is there to nickel-and-dime them every step of the way.

Yes this.

The reverse mortgages haven't gone away either. For many that is their retirement.

They weren't able to save, have little to no pension, and SS isn't enough to cut it.

It does allow them to stay in their house and live out their last years in dignity but it also means the bank pretty much always gets the house and there is no wealth transfer at all to the kids or other surviving family.

Even if they don't use a reverse mortgage and have some savings if they go senile and need a nursing home the costs are INSANE and eat up all the money so fast you won't believe it. Where I'm at just a ""OK"" nursing home is typically around $3k a month. And I'm really stressing OK there for a reason. The good ones are north of $6k a month.

This means the house gets sold and all the savings eaten up fast once they go into a nursing home. The kids are largely going to get nothing. Hell the debt collectors these days still try to go after the kids for the parents' debt even though they're not supposed to!