Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Hey, did the Dungeons of Dredmor dev come in here at some point and say they were going to update the game? Possibly they did that two separate times, years apart? Or is that some weird recurring fever dream I'm having.

e: vvv cool, glad I'm not crazy

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Dachshundofdoom posted:

Hey, did the Dungeons of Dredmor dev come in here at some point and say they were going to update the game? Possibly they did that two separate times, years apart? Or is that some weird recurring fever dream I'm having.

if it's a fever dream the servers are also infected:

nvining posted:

What Gaslamp people? Nobody here but us Muscle Diggles.

(....)

A little goons-only teaser before I go back to radio silence...

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Tea Party Crasher posted:

nrook's post about the Berlin interpretation being descriptive makes a lot of sense to me. I mean it's called the Berlin interpretation, not the Berlin limitation.

Rogue likes seem to have the immersive sim problem, where the qualifying attributes cannot be reduced to one mechanical or thematic dimension. First person shooter is obvious, because it's first person and you shoot.

Meanwhile, like immersive Sims, the qualities of a roguelike are more abstract and have a lot of varying mechanics. The closest I've ever been able to come to thinking of an alternate genre name for traditional roguelikes is "single player virtual TRPG", which is a bit of a mouthful and not exactly catchy. That's what I see as separating those old school rogue likes from the modern lite variants though: something like Nethack is meant to simulate something like dungeons & dragons, with all kinds of tangential and niche actions considered in the rule set, meanwhile something like slay the spire is more similar to a streamlined strategy board game.

I think "traditional roguelikes" is fine as a name; genre names are at least half about history and lineage, and these games were called roguelikes for ages. plus of course they all descend from rogue.

the berlin interpretation is interesting because it lends some clarity to what makes some of the "roguelike something" games feel more like roguelikes and what makes some of them less so. I jokingly suggested once that a roguelike is a game where you can kill the merchant, but there's a grain of truth to that. spelunky really is a "roguelike platformer" in that it's a roguelike except insofar as it's a platformer: the "complexity of item/item and item/monster interactions" and the non-modality of the game are key to why it works. this is less true of a lot of the later games in this mode, many of which were mostly influenced by other games. most roguelike deckbuilders owe most of their design to dominion and later market row deckbuilders, for example, and games like star of providence are primarily arcade games that use a bit of randomness to spice the game up.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Tea Party Crasher posted:

nrook's post about the Berlin interpretation being descriptive makes a lot of sense to me. I mean it's called the Berlin interpretation, not the Berlin limitation.

Rogue likes seem to have the immersive sim problem, where the qualifying attributes cannot be reduced to one mechanical or thematic dimension. First person shooter is obvious, because it's first person and you shoot.

Meanwhile, like immersive Sims, the qualities of a roguelike are more abstract and have a lot of varying mechanics. The closest I've ever been able to come to thinking of an alternate genre name for traditional roguelikes is "single player virtual TRPG", which is a bit of a mouthful and not exactly catchy. That's what I see as separating those old school rogue likes from the modern lite variants though: something like Nethack is meant to simulate something like dungeons & dragons, with all kinds of tangential and niche actions considered in the rule set, meanwhile something like slay the spire is more similar to a streamlined strategy board game.

yeah this is why this whole discussion always boils down into nonsense because for me the core qualifications of a roguelike are that you lose all progress on death and that they are hard, and someone else may be more concerned with build variety and varied gamplay, etc etc.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

babypolis posted:

yeah this is why this whole discussion always boils down into nonsense because for me the core qualifications of a roguelike are that you lose all progress on death and that they are hard, and someone else may be more concerned with build variety and varied gamplay, etc etc.

it's a turn based RPG with a randomized layout, and if you die you start over on a new layout. most of the other commonalities are things that just recur because they work well well in that context, not because they actually define the genre.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yep, new class is real strong

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
: (Spicy) Mysterious Dungeon'ing intensifies in the not distant future :

Touhou Gensou Wanderer -FORESIGHT-

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1847150/Touhou_Genso_Wanderer_FORESIGHT/

quote:

Become stronger with Reimu by taking on challenge after challenge in this dungeon-crawler RPG! Set out once again to explore mysteries!

A new dungeon-crawler RPG game in the Genso Wanderer series!
Embark on an adventure with Reimu and friends to solve incidents!

This title is a fan-made game based on the doujin game ""Touhou Project (By Team Shanghai Alice)""
as a dungeon-crawler RPG where the dungeon layout and dropped items change each time you play.

Story
In a corridor somewhere...
Reimu Hakurei loses a battle and faints. She comes to and finds herself at Hakurei Shrine.
She's unable to remember anything... What had she even been doing in the first place?
Having regained consciousness, Reimu sets out together with her friend Marisa Kirisame to solve incidents.
Reimu must now save Gensokyo...
From the various incidents, some of which she'd already solved before.
—Reimu has no idea what she's in for.

Gameplay
◆Leveling & travel mechanics
You lost a battle and ended up back at Hakurei Shrine?!
Just when you'd leveled Reimu up and upgraded her weapons, too...
Well, no need to worry about that anymore!
You get to keep your items and current level in the story's dungeons.
You'll also be able to fast travel to places you've already traversed.

◆Reimu gets stronger after every encounter with friends!
Solve incidents and help those in the Human Village get through their problems...
Encountering the inhabitants of Gensokyo will help you acquire ""boards"" that can raise your basic stats.
Characters get stronger as you progress through the game!

◆Make Hakurei Shrine better than ever!
Restore the tattered shrine to its former glory by asking for help from Suika Ibuki, who's settled there.
Invest in the building and facilities for more convenient travel.

Newly revamped illustrations
◆The inhabitants of Gensokyo are expressive
Almost every character gets new illustrations!
Keep your eyes peeled for the girls' new looks!

◆Almost every right hand-wielded weapon
and left hand-wielded armor are newly drawn!
Equip them to discover the abilities each piece holds!

Now then, time to explore those mysteries!

MATURE CONTENT DESCRIPTION
The developers describe the content like this:

This Game may contain content not appropriate for all ages, or may not be appropriate for viewing at work: Some Nudity or Sexual Content, Frequent Violence or Gore, General Mature Content

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The last touhou mystery dungeon game I played was quite bad, so my expectations are low.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

nrook posted:

honestly I've never understood why anybody gets heated about the berlin interpretation.

it's a button you can push to summon an extremely dead horse. if you find out someone is a patriots fan, you can ask about deflated footballs and it does the same thing. prefacing things with "to be clear, I do not unironically care, but" is like inscribed-on-the-akashic-record levels of inevitable.

it's one of the stronger arguments I know of for the idea that this is not hell but purgatory

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’m on board with any argument that implies my posting enemies, whoever they are, are akin to patriots fans

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

ComradePyro posted:

it's a button you can push to summon an extremely dead horse.

This sounds incredibly useful for necromancer builds.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

[kanye voice] eris walks with me

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

another achra patch

quote:

Baghatar added, class, armed with a Kilij, prayers apply Gust which deals slash damage in a path to an enemy per stack, triggered and removed on attack, like windstrike
Added a Wind animation for certain instances of slashing damage (Baghatar, Windstrike, Tengri)
Dread Legion / Overgrowth now only adds plant / undead type to familiars, was incorrectly doing it to all summons
Kuga now correctly triggers on attack, cost raised to 4
Amethyst Falx, Robe of the Wind fixed
[*]Phoenix reworked again: no longer applies Inflame, self-damage now occurs once per fully-charged prayer, divine intervention now adds Willpower, 3rd prayer now increases damage dealt by 100% if NOT fully-charged, and deals 1000 fire damage to you when used (trying to get the feel right, the strength / weakness of it is a separate evaluation, as with a lot of other things)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Path of achra guy is out of control with new content.

I have to imagine he's really streamlined interactions at this point and can just crank things out by adding a new asset or 2 and adding another couple rows to a db

E: like I was just on last night and there were 2 new backgrounds and a couple new gods!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Great news for people who liked BlazBlue Entropy Effect: apparently the game sold well enough that the original dev team is being rehired after being dissolved lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Azran posted:

Great news for people who liked BlazBlue Entropy Effect: apparently the game sold well enough that the original dev team is being rehired after being dissolved lol

Yet another heartwarming story from the brutal mill of capitalism.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Azran posted:

Oh, that's good! It seemed like they were getting screwed for things that didn't really have anything to do with them (woo, capitalism), so I'm glad they're gonna be able to keep working on this

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
beat the behemoth rush dungeon in shiren :cool:

so far the gimmick dungeons have been pretty fun and they always teach you a bunch of stuff. for example, the mighty behemoth is easily defeated by a Rock which arcs over their Behemoth Barrier and hits them Square In The Face.

i've dipped my toes into the actual post-story dungeons and the next proper dungeon has nigiri babies and shaggos on level 1. is this where the real shiren begins?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Dicefolk is very good so far but I'm a bit concerned about how much variety the game actually has given the relatively simplistic mechanics so far and how little control you have over which monsters you get. I like the art and the music though!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The Trials/Ascension system on Dicefolk may be among the best bits as rather than things just getting harder on percentages, things get both harder in more varied ways and the player gets more unique advantages to levy at each respective level.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Azran posted:

Nice! Would like to see the same spin on other dead fighting game series, it's a good formula.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

No Wave posted:

Nice! Would like to see the same spin on other dead fighting game series, it's a good formula.

*crossing fingers* Please give me the Persona 4 Arena roguelike, please give me the Persona 4 Arena roguelike.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I cannot get a pure life build in Achra past the King. Ive lost several runs at this point just to him, minions are far too weak at that point even if i can get them in the 10k+ HP zone and once my blockers are up he gets me.
Maybe its time to cheese with our Lord and saviour Eris and some entangle/vine stacking. I generally dont like 'minion' builds in games but Life seems really to want that with the plants and briarfolk

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Foul Fowl posted:

beat the behemoth rush dungeon in shiren :cool:

so far the gimmick dungeons have been pretty fun and they always teach you a bunch of stuff. for example, the mighty behemoth is easily defeated by a Rock which arcs over their Behemoth Barrier and hits them Square In The Face.

i've dipped my toes into the actual post-story dungeons and the next proper dungeon has nigiri babies and shaggos on level 1. is this where the real shiren begins?

I love all the ridiculous cannons you can find in behemoth rush. 7-way explosive cannonballs? Sure, why not, that sounds safe.
The dunes are definitely a bit of a step up, they like having one or two stronger monsters mixed in with the pool for a floor, and items don't start out identified anymore. The story dungeon after that has a pretty neat gimmick, though.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.

ZCKaiser posted:

*crossing fingers* Please give me the Persona 4 Arena roguelike, please give me the Persona 4 Arena roguelike.

I'd love it if someone made an "Ancient Cave" randomizer similar to what people have done with other stuff.

Also: please see the inevitable 15 Persona 6 spin-offs coming in 2035.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Cerepol posted:

I cannot get a pure life build in Achra past the King. Ive lost several runs at this point just to him, minions are far too weak at that point even if i can get them in the 10k+ HP zone and once my blockers are up he gets me.
Maybe its time to cheese with our Lord and saviour Eris and some entangle/vine stacking. I generally dont like 'minion' builds in games but Life seems really to want that with the plants and briarfolk

the various pure path feats are of wildly varying difficulty

Lightning, for example, is super easy to the point where if you're going for the Gothi prestige class it pretty much makes sense to do anyway. Life might be the hardest one, because Life does pretty much force you to go for a minion spam build. And unlike Death, it's a minion spam build that assumes those minions are going to actually live and do stuff instead of being purely sacrificial. And all of it triggers on game turn, so your ability to replace them without a Kairos Skirt does not keep up with how fast they're going to be killed, and you can't really make the Kairos skirt work since you have no way of mitigating Inflexibility. I don't know how you'd make pure life work on higher cycles. It almost makes sense to just run Yu and put literally all of your points into Master Entangle and Life Chant and hope you find a Crimson Plate to keep you alive.

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

Snake Maze posted:

I love all the ridiculous cannons you can find in behemoth rush. 7-way explosive cannonballs? Sure, why not, that sounds safe.
The dunes are definitely a bit of a step up, they like having one or two stronger monsters mixed in with the pool for a floor, and items don't start out identified anymore. The story dungeon after that has a pretty neat gimmick, though.

How does 6 compare to 5, if you've played both; is it more of the same but further refined/enhanced?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
My biggest issue with any minion build is that you’re totally at the mercy of the level generator RNG in the later stages when it starts throwing demons that attack everything in their huge ranges at you. Start in a spot with no cover nearby? RIP.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Brimruk posted:

How does 6 compare to 5, if you've played both; is it more of the same but further refined/enhanced?

Yeah, I think the biggest difference is just that 6 has a lot of little improvements and much better ingame records (and no nighttime). There are some good new additions - I think the sumo system is a great way to add more depth to your choices around food in the dungeon, there's more variety in shop security to make stealing less free but still an interesting puzzle, that sort of thing. And of course there are new monsters and items so the specific situations you'll find yourself in are different. But if you're familiar with 5 you'll be able to jump into 6 right away.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Man y’all are some beasts with Shiren. Course I’ve not really put in the time yet. I assume there’s a no gimmicks lv1 unidentified everything dungeon right? How big? What’s the general structure like, with biomes and such?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ZCKaiser posted:

A roguelike spin-off of a fighting game spin-off of Persona 4 is like exactly the kind of thing Altus would announce at a hyped-up event where everyone thinks they're going to announce Persona 6. I am honestly convinced this is happening now

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

unattended spaghetti posted:

Man y’all are some beasts with Shiren. Course I’ve not really put in the time yet. I assume there’s a no gimmicks lv1 unidentified everything dungeon right? How big? What’s the general structure like, with biomes and such?

There's a 99 floor/no carry-in/everything unidentified dungeon with a description that talks about it being the hardest dungeon on the island, I'm pretty sure that's this game's version. The appearance changed every 3-4 floors on the test run I did, so I assume it just cycles through all the biomes in the game, but I haven't done any serious attempts at it yet.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Snake Maze posted:

There's a 99 floor/no carry-in/everything unidentified dungeon with a description that talks about it being the hardest dungeon on the island, I'm pretty sure that's this game's version. The appearance changed every 3-4 floors on the test run I did, so I assume it just cycles through all the biomes in the game, but I haven't done any serious attempts at it yet.

Sounds choice I’m happy. Thanks.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Picked up Shiren on a whim despite not enjoying the last one I played very much and I'm having a great time. Kind of shocked at how engaging the inventory/resource management is even though I really shouldn't be considering it's the whole dang point. I just wish identifying stuff was a little easier.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Herbotron posted:

Picked up Shiren on a whim despite not enjoying the last one I played very much and I'm having a great time. Kind of shocked at how engaging the inventory/resource management is even though I really shouldn't be considering it's the whole dang point. I just wish identifying stuff was a little easier.

I keep equipping unidentified gear and haven't been cursed yet in the main dungeon, so feel free to that since it seems rare. I also like throwing trash into pots to test if they're Preservation or not etc

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
https://twitter.com/Squidbrolibrium/status/1764786674897408391

Completely absurd situation, I cannot believe I got away with that.

Context:
  • Mixers are enemies who swallow thrown equipment and fuse them together into a single stronger item that they drop on death
  • I threw my sword into this mixer
  • Shenanigans happened and the mixer ranked up into it's next form, a high level monster that I cannot possibly kill in a straight fight.
  • It still has my sword
  • My inventory has some mobility items but nothing I can use to kill it

I'm able to run back to a hallway and wall it off with an earthwall staff. I can shoot stuff at it through the gap, but I don't have nearly enough ammo to kill it. I figure I'm a dead man walking - even if I get away, with no sword I'm in a terrible situation. But wait, at some point a bowboy wandered into the room! Apparently if there's an earthwall in the way they'll try to shoot you through it (I think this is a change from 5?). Arrows keep bouncing off until eventually so many tiles are occupied that they start landing inside my little nook. I'm able to grab the arrows off the floor and shoot them as they arrive, until eventually the mixer dies and I get my upgraded sword back, plus a full level's worth of exp.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

beer gas canister posted:

I keep equipping unidentified gear and haven't been cursed yet in the main dungeon, so feel free to that since it seems rare. I also like throwing trash into pots to test if they're Preservation or not etc

I think it'll be a lot easier when I fill out the item notebook more so I'll know what to check for a bit better. I should be a bit freer with just stuffing things into pots but I hate the idea of wasting a slot in a Synthesis pot. Speaking of the notebook, anyone playing this game should really check it out! It has a ton of info about what monsters can do or are weak to, and stuff like how much items buy or sell for so you can narrow unidentified items down that way too. It's nice not needing to rely on an external resource for that kind of info in a game like this.

Mixers are really fun! Very cool risk-reward stuff with throwing away your best equipment then needing to get the kill and make sure they don't get rube-goldberged into teleporting away or something. As a novice I think Shiren's best moments are when you lack a core tool and have to improvise a solution, as demonstrated, and mixers provoke that sort of scenario pretty consistently.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Question about Rescue Points in Shiren 6: Are they only for Rescue Aids, which as far as I know are only for when you do rescues? I am just trying to figure out what the benefit to going around on the Rescue board completing jobs. Closest I get is to do a self rescue and use the Aids to clown on the early floors to make it all easier.

I never really used Rescue in Shiren 5; figured you needed to actually hit up someone to have them do that for you. Did the Rescue Board exist there? I know the Rescue Yourself option is new for this game. In any case I do like requesting rescues as I finish up a session so I could see if I get one by the time fire it up again.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
yeah the rescue board was in 5. i think they region locked rescues in shiren 6, which if true was a terrible idea and the only bad thing about the game so far. i've not gotten rescued once (although i've not really waited around for it) while i played shiren 5 in 2022 and a japanese player would rescue me without fail within a few hours of dying. also they seem to have removed the message system so you can no longer say PLEASE HELP MESSED UP

i think most of the post-story dungeons have everything unidentified, but if you can bring items in, you can stuff a couple pots full of every kind of important grass (revival, invincible, swift, etc.) so they come pre-identified in the dungeon, and you don't risk losing valuable resources munching down on your grasses to see which ones do what.

in the dungeons where you can't, it leads to some really interesting risk/reward scenarios, e.g. this tappable pot might be a restoration pot. or a hiding pot. or a water gun pot. all of those would be helpful in this situation. it might also be a monster pot. i guess it's time to roll the dice baby.

i understand why the ID system is not in any modern games that i can think of (too much player friction, too much system and game knowledge needed to reduce chances of loving yourself over, no way to completely 100% prevent being hosed over by bad luck) but i'm a big fan of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Just started playing The Void Rains Upon Her Heart, there is so much to radiate and I'm just a smol bean with few tetrids. What should I be prioritizing?