Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

FFT posted:

Anyone else playing Nightingale? It's pretty grindy but the vibes are keeping me in. Haven't had the lag issues some people have complained about, and learning from a loading screen that you can just hold the interaction button to pick up all the stuff in your vicinity instead of the finnicky bullshit that it is if you pick up each hide and bone or whatever has made it even better.

I'm up to the point where I could start making a gun, but I don't have enough metal or gunpowder to justify it yet. Game's neat!

/e: oh it's got a thread too

im still loving pacific drive but tell me about the vibes? it seems like maybe kind of old school spooky victorian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

im still loving pacific drive but tell me about the vibes? it seems like maybe kind of old school spooky victorian?
It's not really what I would call spooky. There are some realms with modifiers that make it very foggy/dark, but it doesn't have like gothic horror (at least not yet, I dunno what happens in later realms). I've been having fun and the crafting is really deep if you're into that sort of thing. It's been a good game to just run around in and check out the funky landscapes.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

twistedmentat posted:

I gave enshrouded another try. The biggest issue I was having was the Blacksmith said he needed to be sheltered, but he was inside my house, what do I need to do? I couldn't find any information about what the issue was and then in some offhand comment in a post i found on reddit and apparently the Blacksmith needs to be in his own place that's 4x and all made from stone. One I did that, i could make the good started armor and now enemies are no issue. I also learned the pots give 4 metal shards each so it was easy to fully upgrade my gear.

Having the metal axe and pickax have changed things big time, and yea, I like this. I am going to assume as you rescue more workers you get access to more upgrades. I've seen some really neat, impressive bases and none of the materials i have access to could even make anything close to that.

All my workers are in my giant underground lair, and they all work fine so there’s definitely some wiggle room on the restrictions. Yup you get more items, blocks and recipes as you play further

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Breathedge is 70% off so you can get to suffering the awful writing /acting for cheap

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Synthbuttrange posted:

Breathedge is 70% off so you can get to suffering the awful writing /acting for cheap

I played it for free and I'd still like a refund.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
You can’t refund your time. The single redeeming feature of the game I can think of is the initial outer space environment, and that’s honestly it?

And you get less as you go further. I’d honestly rather ditch the survival gameplay and play one of several other space walking/adventure/whatever games. And there are a few in-dev space survival games that will probably turn out better, though that’s a low bar to step over.

Edit: putting aside the awful writing and humor…
You start out exploring space, getting technology, etc. the classic notes of survival. You build a space station, upgrade the space station, and look for the last pieces of tech. Unlike Subnautica, each tech piece or pieces has a fixed location and quantity with zero spares. If you miss something on your initial pass and it isn’t one of the items highlighted by the AI, enjoy the painful search for it. After you finally get the last part of your space vehicle and probably fully upgraded space station, you are then sent on a trip far away to a deadly irradiated wreck, where you cannot build a a new station, exploration is limited to a spaceship (the most disappointing one I’ve ever had since X-Com: Interceptor), and you only get to leave the confines of your ship whenever you dock to one of many long corridors. At the end of these corridors you will find out you need something, so you’ll backtrack all the way back each time, craft the item you need (no crafting station at the end or handcrafts), walk all the way back (no shortcuts), deposit the item, and only twice that I can recall be able to leave directly. The corridors remain linear, get longer, and show even less respect for your time. And survival isn’t a concern, really.

Oh, and the humor sucks too.

More power to you if you’re one of the steam reviewers who enjoyed the game and with more than six hours of playtime, but you’re alien to me. I cannot understand how.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 2, 2024

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Breathedge's core gameplay loop is compelling, where you're tethered due to oxygen and flight speed and have various upgrades to gradually increase your range, having to scavenge what you can and craft stuff from wrecks. I got to where you built a little station and then immediately abandoned it and had enough and turned the game off. The humor was abrasive, the tool breakage obnoxious, and there was this one quest that got to me where it literally makes fun of you for going on and finishing a fetch quest for a mcguffin part saying something like "what a waste of time that was, developers put stuff like that in to pad game time, but you did it anyway!" which was right around when I asked myself why I was spending time on a game that just wasn't very much fun.

The vistas were cool though, it being open and letting you see the entire wrecked ship was probably the highlight of the game.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Gonna crosspost this here too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKwRRlfnixQ&t=10s

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

I played about 3 hours and exploration seemed extremely shallow, crafting very grindy and the combat sucks. Watching that video confirms that none of that gets any better.

Hope that changes because I like the setting and general idea.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I really wanted to like it. Still do really. It's the crafting logistics that bounced me hard off of it.Going to check it again in a year's time or whatever and see how it goes.

Talking of coming back to games after a break. I played Ikarus recently after benching it for a long time and I'm enjoying it a lot. Pretty unforgiving of my low skill, poor comprehension brain, but still enjoyable.
I was loling when I discovered the thread title though.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

YerDa Zabam posted:

I really wanted to like it. Still do really. It's the crafting logistics that bounced me hard off of it.Going to check it again in a year's time or whatever and see how it goes.

Talking of coming back to games after a break. I played Ikarus recently after benching it for a long time and I'm enjoying it a lot. Pretty unforgiving of my low skill, poor comprehension brain, but still enjoyable.
I was loling when I discovered the thread title though.

Hell, a big patch just dropped where the devs finally managed to rework the Networking stuff, added batteries and water reservoirs which means that electricity and water going to machines isn't just a binary y/n for meeting the requirements.

Also wow didn't even notice the title change. I feel attacked.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The crafting mechanics in Nightingale are indeed grindy. It's neat how all the different variants of materiala have different effects on what you make with them, but storage is a bit of a hassle

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
How grindy is Enshrouded?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mzbundifund posted:

I didn't find it particularly grindy, but I haven't played too deep into the game either.

There is an Enshrouded thread, maybe ask there for more feedback: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053051

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Nightingale in its current state is very much about the vibes. The combat is samey and bad. It opens up slightly as harder enemies show up and you get guns but its never going to be DOOM or Chivalry. The realm exploration is fun but as with all proc gen games once you've seen the POIs you've seem them, so the game will live or die by its ability to surprise you, which is going to require considerable development. The crafting is fun and the engine pretty so building a house in it is genuinely enjoyable, but the exploration is very much the 'point' and the biggest question mark on the game's long term health.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mzbundifund posted:

It's only grindy if you want to build a massive structure out of a rare material.
I did everything offered in EA and never felt bogged down.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I've been inspired to play more survival games after avoiding ones that sounded grindy and unsatisfying, with aesthetics I wasn't really into (ARK, Rust, Conan), but finally getting into Palworld and Pacific Drive.

Enshrouded and Nightingale sound like they're exactly what I want, but I was thinking of avoiding early access games until they mature a bit. People are naturally talking about the cool new stuff, but what are the highly regarded survival games from recent years? Preferably ones that have matured a bit since early access.

In the past I've basically only played Valheim in this genre, and I thought it was fantastic. I like chill open experiences more than super hardcore/gritty ones.

I'll probably be playing solo, if that makes a difference.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Eiba posted:

I've been inspired to play more survival games after avoiding ones that sounded grindy and unsatisfying, with aesthetics I wasn't really into (ARK, Rust, Conan), but finally getting into Palworld and Pacific Drive.

Enshrouded and Nightingale sound like they're exactly what I want, but I was thinking of avoiding early access games until they mature a bit. People are naturally talking about the cool new stuff, but what are the highly regarded survival games from recent years? Preferably ones that have matured a bit since early access.

In the past I've basically only played Valheim in this genre, and I thought it was fantastic. I like chill open experiences more than super hardcore/gritty ones.

I'll probably be playing solo, if that makes a difference.

I had zero interest or care about survival games at all until I played Subnautica. Pacific Drive is exactly that kind of experience but with a very distinct vibe (I loving loved it, and play it with dualsense haptics if you can).

I enjoyed Valheim a lot but my experience with that has pointed me in the direction of avoiding games like Enshrouded and Nightingale until they either come out in 1.0 or flop - incomplete survival games... I wouldn't say they were a waste of time more than any game is, and I had fun playing with friends, but hitting the edge of content while you're still wrapped up in the game and then dropping it for months/years isn't a great experience.

Like Valheim specifically (and that's a smash success) has been in EA for three years. That's a long loving time. Some people probably dig playing it for what it is and going back periodically for patches, I can do that on some games, but not these.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

victrix posted:

Like Valheim specifically (and that's a smash success) has been in EA for three years.
7DTD would like a word :v:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Eiba posted:

People are naturally talking about the cool new stuff, but what are the highly regarded survival games from recent years? Preferably ones that have matured a bit since early access.

I’m not sure I’d recommend it given your context, but Card Survival: Tropical Island is highly regarded, for being a niche within the genre. Despite the aesthetic, it’s not a deck builder or even a card game, really. The cards are more of an abstraction than a mechanic. It’s both a chill open experience and super hardcore. Time only acts when you do, more or less fifteen minute turns. There’s no nemesis unless you start with a particular background, and the turn-based abstraction results in a more realistic scale for nutrition and task times without dragging things out IRL. There’s a bunch of stats, but they’re generally hidden until they get to problematic ranges and scale in severity so you’re aware before they are a real problem.

There’s a seven day demo. Personally, I prefer a bit more of a narrative structure and better graphics/user interface (a lot of scrolling involved).

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

SubponticatePoster posted:

7DTD would like a word :v:

When Project Zomboid was initially released into Early Access, it was set 18 years in the past (2011->1993). It has now been in early access for 13 years, with no release in sight.

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

victrix posted:

I had zero interest or care about survival games at all until I played Subnautica. Pacific Drive is exactly that kind of experience but with a very distinct vibe (I loving loved it, and play it with dualsense haptics if you can).

I enjoyed Valheim a lot but my experience with that has pointed me in the direction of avoiding games like Enshrouded and Nightingale until they either come out in 1.0 or flop - incomplete survival games... I wouldn't say they were a waste of time more than any game is, and I had fun playing with friends, but hitting the edge of content while you're still wrapped up in the game and then dropping it for months/years isn't a great experience.

Like Valheim specifically (and that's a smash success) has been in EA for three years. That's a long loving time. Some people probably dig playing it for what it is and going back periodically for patches, I can do that on some games, but not these.

I think The Long Dark is great, and it's fully released and everything

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Eminent DNS posted:

I think The Long Dark is great, and it's fully released and everything

Does it have a (half decent) story with an ending? I don't play the sandbox ones solo unless friends are dragging me in for mp

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Green Hell/The Forest/Sons of the Forest maybe?

Tho I suppose those could be hardcore and/or gritty

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was looking at Sunkenland's latest patch notes and checking the comments to see if they brought black claiming islands, and I saw someone really angry there is an option to not drop your stuff when you die. They wanted you to loose all your stuff for good when you die, no option to change that.

That is the worst loving idea I've ever heard. If you want to do that, play a roguelike, or maybe Long Dark. For every one who wants death penalties to be the game uninstalls itself and removes it from the steam library, there's 100 people playing just for chill hangs where they can adjust the difficulty to suit that chill hang. I will never understand people who wish games had dick punching death penalties. I remember ages ago there were people in WoW (i bet there still are) that really wished death "meant something" and you would loose all your gear and it could be looted, or even that character to be deleted. Imagine spending hundreds of hours in WoW to gently caress up something and loose all that? No one would play that game.

Most survival games you can adjust it, which is the best way to do it, but screaming about the option to, wtf dude. Its like those shitheads that complain your character can be black or gay if you choose those options.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

some people really, desperately need their video game victories to mean something. can’t let the casuals taint that. shan’t speculate as to why

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I played Valheim for 120 hours at launch and haven't touched it since. Isn't that quite enough? I definitely felt like I got enough even for EA. Also, three years is nothing for early access, like someone mentioned, Project Zomboid, which is still probably close to best in slot for the genre.

A lot of survival crafting games aren't really known for their story more than a backdrop to get you playing or to discover lore pages. Long Dark has a story which is fine, but the story mode has a lot of busywork I could've done without, I always preferred the sandbox experience. That said I'm still waiting for the fifth and final episode to see how it ends.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 3, 2024

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TeaJay posted:

I played Valheim for 120 hours at launch and haven't touched it since. Isn't that quite enough? I definitely felt like I got enough even for EA. Also, three years is nothing for early access, like someone mentioned, Project Zomboid, which is still probably close to best in slot for the genre.

A lot of survival crafting games aren't really known for their story more than a backdrop to get you playing or to discover lore pages. Long Dark has a story which is fine, but the story mode has a lot of busywork I could've done without, I always preferred the sandbox experience. That said I'm still waiting for the fifth and final episode to see how it ends.

I have 114 hours in Valheim and last played it in May of 2021. I have no regrets and may someday go back and give it another round. Getting over 100 hours out of any game is a great deal for me, let alone an early access game.

I only have 30 hours in Enshrouded, mostly because I was distracted by some other stuff and sort of just haven't gone back, but I expect that I'll fully get my money's worth out of it also.

7DTD is like the poster child for long EA, but I have over 750 hours in it and know for a fact that I'll get back into that game again and again.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is unreal world considered early access

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I was looking at Sunkenland's latest patch notes and checking the comments to see if they brought black claiming islands, and I saw someone really angry there is an option to not drop your stuff when you die. They wanted you to loose all your stuff for good when you die, no option to change that.

That is the worst loving idea I've ever heard. If you want to do that, play a roguelike, or maybe Long Dark. For every one who wants death penalties to be the game uninstalls itself and removes it from the steam library, there's 100 people playing just for chill hangs where they can adjust the difficulty to suit that chill hang. I will never understand people who wish games had dick punching death penalties. I remember ages ago there were people in WoW (i bet there still are) that really wished death "meant something" and you would loose all your gear and it could be looted, or even that character to be deleted. Imagine spending hundreds of hours in WoW to gently caress up something and loose all that? No one would play that game.

Most survival games you can adjust it, which is the best way to do it, but screaming about the option to, wtf dude. Its like those shitheads that complain your character can be black or gay if you choose those options.

I fully agree with you but blizzard actually did make hardcore servers for wow classic that delete your character on death and lots of people play it. There's definitely plenty of masochists out there.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

victrix posted:

Subnautica is exactly the kind of thing I'd like... if I hadn't watched a very complete play through on youtube, so I feel like I've seen the whole narrative already. Like Pacific Drive I love games where the primary way you interact with the world is not violence. Just exploring and taking care of yourself in a dangerous environment you have to learn the quirks of to survive is so satisfying. They should make more games like that.

Like others, I played a ton of Valheim when it came out, haven't touched it since, and was actually satisfied by what was there. I don't mind a game being incomplete as long as what's there is good and satisfying. A good survival game doesn't really need an ending anyway.

LordSloth posted:

I’m not sure I’d recommend it given your context, but Card Survival: Tropical Island is highly regarded, for being a niche within the genre. Despite the aesthetic, it’s not a deck builder or even a card game, really. The cards are more of an abstraction than a mechanic. It’s both a chill open experience and super hardcore. Time only acts when you do, more or less fifteen minute turns. There’s no nemesis unless you start with a particular background, and the turn-based abstraction results in a more realistic scale for nutrition and task times without dragging things out IRL. There’s a bunch of stats, but they’re generally hidden until they get to problematic ranges and scale in severity so you’re aware before they are a real problem.

There’s a seven day demo. Personally, I prefer a bit more of a narrative structure and better graphics/user interface (a lot of scrolling involved).
That's an interesting suggestion, thanks. I do not like card/puzzle games, but I do like management games, and the way you're describing it makes it sound like it might scratch that itch too.

That said, I was looking for the experience of exploring an open world.

Azhais posted:

Green Hell/The Forest/Sons of the Forest maybe?

Tho I suppose those could be hardcore and/or gritty
They're close to what I'm into. I'd never heard of Green Hell, but I've seen some gameplay from the Forest and Sons of the Forest. Honestly, I really didn't like the cannibal aesthetic. That's a really un-cozy way of depicting humans to me. I'm okay with like skeletons or goblins or like... rear end in a top hat bandits maybe as enemies. "Primitive" people just being monsters is kinda gross to me. I guess the cannibals in the Forest are mutated in some way? Still not into that, even if I might otherwise like exploring the world and building a little base.

Looks like the enemies in Green Hell are even worse in that particular respect. Nothing wrong with that, but not the kind of survival experience I'm after.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

Are Enshrouded and Nightingale really kind of a new thing in terms of a fantasy themed survival games? Valheim had a fantasy/mythological setting that was both cozy and challenging. I was kind of expecting there'd be more like that out there. I don't need it to be amazing- I liked Palworld, and that world was kinda perfunctory. But the vibe and aesthetic go a long way.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 4, 2024

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Eiba posted:

Looks like the enemies in Green Hell are even worse in that particular respect. Nothing wrong with that, but not the kind of survival experience I'm after.

They can be turned off in custom difficulties, and the game is still very good without them. That and it's not exactly a 'depicting them as monsters' deal, when doing the story at least, in survival they are just enemies sure but in the story they have reason. The main character is arguably the bad guy, with convenient amnesia and the natives response is understandable, they have been hosed with relentlessly by outsiders and the folks you fight are a splinter faction from the main tribe that's decided "gently caress anything from outside" in response to the absolute shitstorm they've dealt with, all because of you, so they loving HATE your dude. Gets a bit hazy in the Spirits campaign tho, they lost the plot a bit.

Speaking of, I just went back to play it a bit recently and man, they added a sled for transporting stuff and it is a goddamn godsend. And an elevator for getting materials up into tree forts easier. So nice. I miss the lovely stick walls and vertical half-walls tho, for aesthetic purposes.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 4, 2024

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jawnycat posted:

They can be turned off in custom difficulties, and the game is still very good without them. That and it's not exactly a 'depicting them as monsters' deal, when doing the story at least, in survival they are just enemies sure but in the story they have reason. The main character is arguably the bad guy, with convenient amnesia and the natives response is understandable, they have been hosed with relentlessly by outsiders and the folks you fight are a splinter faction from the main tribe that's decided "gently caress anything from outside" in response to the absolute shitstorm they've dealt with, all because of you, so they loving HATE your dude. Gets a bit hazy in the Spirits campaign tho, they lost the plot a bit.

Speaking of, I just went back to play it a bit recently and man, they added a sled for transporting stuff and it is a goddamn godsend. And an elevator for getting materials up into tree forts easier. So nice. I miss the lovely stick walls and vertical half-walls tho, for aesthetic purposes.
I only saw the trailer, so this context is helpful and makes the enemies not quite as uncomfortable. But honestly, if they're ultimately sympathetic that just makes the situation even less cozy! I don't want to be the bad guy!

If it's still fun without the enemies I might take a deeper look at it.

I should also add that I'm not really into the stories in these games usually. If there's a good one, that's a bonus, but I'm mainly looking for a satisfying self-directed gameplay loop.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Eiba posted:

I should also add that I'm not really into the stories in these games usually. If there's a good one, that's a bonus, but I'm mainly looking for a satisfying self-directed gameplay loop.

Oh just survival mode with the natives turned off would be great for you then. The Spirits maps have even been integrated into the survival mode now, so the world to explore is quite large now. Tho the main gameplay loop is basically just, building the fanciest house possible while surviving.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea I'm just waiting for the next Alpha build to drop to go back to 7days.

I'm got 922 in Conan, 416 in Ark and only 182 in 7days. Scrub their times.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Mendrian posted:

Nightingale in its current state is very much about the vibes. The combat is samey and bad.
I'm not sure the sound effect when you land a crit/hit on a weakspot will ever get old, though.

Just swinging a decent woodaxe directly into a charging hippo's face, glass breaks

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Enshrouded has been interesting. There's a lot of stuff in here that should be industry standard by now but is still refreshing to see.

1 - repair for free every time you open up the bench
2 - don't drop tools on death, just resources
3 - voxel-based building that smoothly integrates into larger more detailed structures
4 - buildable fast travel points that you can travel to without dying

I was leery because people had been saying that you don't get the storage item that lets you craft from storage until later but I completely skipped over the regular one it's super easy to get.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Spanish Matlock posted:

Enshrouded has been interesting. There's a lot of stuff in here that should be industry standard by now but is still refreshing to see.

1 - repair for free every time you open up the bench
2 - don't drop tools on death, just resources
3 - voxel-based building that smoothly integrates into larger more detailed structures
4 - buildable fast travel points that you can travel to without dying

I was leery because people had been saying that you don't get the storage item that lets you craft from storage until later but I completely skipped over the regular one it's super easy to get.

That storage used to be much later but was patched.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I honestly never understood the point of item durability in Enshrouded since repairing is free of charge. It's just a pointless thing that rarely ever affects gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Qubee posted:

I honestly never understood the point of item durability in Enshrouded since repairing is free of charge. It's just a pointless thing that rarely ever affects gameplay.

It limits the duration of your forays, so that to progress, you have to play well enough to clear sites on the first or second try. It’s a way of making dying costly for the player. Whether that’s a good idea or not is up to the player preferences.