Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Also, no disasters on this page, I'm going to be the change. Who wants some :biotruths:?

AITA for discouraging my friend from joining DND?

He just can't be trusted with the equipment, you see.
How exactly does being born with a penis help you play D&D? How are they rolling the dice????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Also, no disasters on this page, I'm going to be the change. Who wants some :biotruths:?

I thought we weren't posting bait.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It's never easy to tactfully explain to an outsider that your DnD group is really a JO circle

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Hughlander posted:

Lol, my thoughts exactly.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Hughlander posted:

Sorry I didn't get a truth certification from you and the other boys in the lab.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

That really smells like transphobic bait to me.

From Best Of Reddit Updates. Pretty sure the 1st one was posted already.

AITAH for not offering to pay for my husband and his kids leading him to spend all his savings?
December 21, 2023**

quote:

For a while now my husband, John, has been getting more and more angry over little things and generally moody and distant. I had finally had enough and approached him about separation.

This conversation led to a big blow out and him revealing the state of his finances. My husband and I have always kept our finances separate. Also although we call each other husband and wife and had a wedding we are not actually legally married. This was primarily for inheritance purposes because we each have older children from previous relationships.

Anyway John revealed that he had basically no savings left. That all the money he had saved for retirement and for his kids schooling was gone. Furthermore he said it was all my fault since he used all his savings up to try and keep up with my lifestyle.

There was never anything crazy in terms of bills or anything like that and we always split it all equally. The house we live in I own outright as well, so there wasn’t a mortgage payment.

However I have always liked to travel a lot on fairly extravagant vacations. I would invite John or John and his children to join on trips, but never made them feel like they had to come. That’s said he was expected to pay for himself and for his kids. Except for recently he accepted every invitation.

I would also give my kids things he considered “extravagant”, but I considered “normal”. So he felt like he had to give similar things to his own kids.

John said with all the spending to keep up his savings dwindled very fast. I expressed that I couldn’t understand how or why he would spend all he had when he knew he couldn’t afford it. He said it was like keeping up with the Joneses only worse because it was at home so he couldn’t block it out. John thinks since I knew his job I should have had a basic understanding of his finances and realizes this wasn’t a lifestyle he could maintain. That the kind thing would have been to offer to pay for the trips and other things instead of dangle them in front of his and his kids faces.

Looking back I probably could have realized that this spending didn’t make sense for his salary, but I wasn’t thinking about it. I don’t think it was my responsibility to keep his finances in mind here. We had agreed from the beginning to keep our finances separate so to me that means paying for things separately.

Edit. We do not live in a state with common law marriage

***Relevant Comments:***

quote:

Why not get married? You know you can make children beneficiaries in wills, right?*

"Here spouses are included in inheritance even if they’re omitted from wills and I plan on leaving everything to my kids."

Ages:

"I’m 44. He’s 53. We don’t have any children together."

So you didn't discuss trips you could afford together??*

"We did discuss the trips and I asked for input about where to stay what we would do, but he never gave any or had any suggestions. I always assumed he just didn’t like planning things. I would have likely still gone on the trips if he didn’t want to."

So if he said no would you just go on the trip on your own?

"I would have likely still gone one the trip. That’s said I would have been open to less expensive trips had he brought it up."

"Except for the past two trips he never declined. I didn’t go alone though. I went on one with some friends and the other with my daughter."

This comment exchange:

Commenter: ESH- John should have ended your marriage way earlier. He can't keep with your lifestyle and would horrible and Very unfair to subject his children in a life where half of the family goes on fancy vacations regurlaly and the other stay home. He should have been honest way earlier before his savings drained and ended the marriage. You should have more awareness of your partner's struggled. How do you share a life with someone and don't realize this things?

OOP: He paid for things without any hint that he was struggling. I assume his attitude change was when things started to get really bad and I did ask what was wrong, but he would just say things were fine or say he was upset about some little thing like the dishes not being put away.

Before you were together, how often were you taking trips with your kids?*

"I’ve always done about the same amount of trips every year. Usually two with my kids.

His kids mostly live with their mom and mine will split time between me and their dad pretty equally. My eldest is in college now though."

And this exchange:

Commenter: I have a burning question. Did you ever ask him why he was acting that way before you decided it was time for separation. Because from the outside you come off as the female stereotype that men don't have emotions so there's no need to check

OOP: I did. He would always say it was fine or I would ask what’s wrong and he would get mad about the dishes not being put away or some other little thing.

If you enjoy having him with you maybe you could pay for him to go?

"If things were better I might consider it, but at this point I’m really not enjoying being around him anymore. I’m going to use this break to take some time to reevaluate things."

It sounds like you don't love him at all. Why were you with him? Were you really together or just roommates with benefits? Why wouldn't you leave him anything in the will? How do you split daily life?

"With how things are now it’s hard to talk in present tense. I loved him.

For me it just feels like it would be wrong for my money and assets to go to anyone other than my kids given. For him well I don’t really need any inheritance, so it just makes the most sense for it to have gone to his children.

For restaurants we’ve always just taken turns paying."

**Update**
January 8th, 2024

quote:

After reading all the comments on my first post I realized I needed more time to think about things. I also thought with the situation how it was it would be best that we spend the holidays apart to avoid and controversy. He wasn't a fan of the idea, but I eventually got him to agree to go.

Last week things settled down so we met up to have a more detailed discussion about the state of his finances. A few more things were revealed. I found out that he had lost his job earlier this year and didn't tell me. He got a new job in October, but he went over 4 months without one while pretending he still had one. During that time he only got a small amount of money from unemployment, so he started putting everything on his credit cards. His new job doesn't pay as much as his old one so he hasn't been able to pay more than the minimum towards his debts which are now substantial.

I feel like if he had just brought up all these issues earlier this could have been avoided or we could have worked something out. Now I really just feel like I can't trust him. I can't trust him with money and I can't trust him not to hide things from me. I just can't see going back and trying to make things work him at this point. Since he doesn't have a place to take all their things I've agreed to store their stuff in my garage until he gets more settled. Which means I won't be able to make as clean of a break as I would like right now, but for the most part it's over.

New Update*
February 24, 2024

quote:

For anyone who hasn’t read my previous posts there’s two of them exposing what happened under my username.

I liked the suggestion I was given when last posted of paying for a storage unit for their things for a few months. My ex however did not agree to it. He said it would make things too difficult because the closest storage location was too far out of the way. It definitely felt like he was still trying to cling to things.

Since I couldn’t get a storage unit in his name without his approval I talked to a friend, who is a lawyer, about the situation. He helped me right up a notice that told him that he had 30 days notice to get their things or they will be disposed of. After 30 days notice was up he still had only picked up a few things.

I ended up calling his ex and asked her if she or their kids wanted anything before I got rid of it all. Well, they had been left in the complete dark about our relationship being over. My ex had been lying to them saying I was sick and then he was sick with Covid and that’s why they hadn’t been able to come over. I’m was not at all surprised this point. I figured she didn’t know about the rest of it either and told her. She is livid. Especially about the money for their kids education since it was part of their divorce agreement.

Anyway the kids all got what they wanted and I had a charity come and pick up the rest. It feels a lot better now that there is a completely clean break. Yes I have gotten the locks changed and blocked his number. Since there is no reason for me to have contact with him anymore this is probably the last time I’ll be posting.

I think I’m there future I will probably look for more transparency when it comes to financials in any serious future relationships. With how much he was lying I can only imagine what else he may have been lying about. Had I known more I don’t think he would have been able to hide things. I am just so grateful and relieved that I was able protect myself and my children.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Crocobile posted:

That really smells like transphobic bait to me.

If it was a diabolical plot to have the sub call OP a hypocritical rear end in a top hat and assert a transpersons' right to participate, then it's going swimmingly.

Fine, gently caress it. Have a feel good cancer/car accident story

AITA for telling my bully I feel no sympathy for her?

quote:

There's this one girl (17F) at school who just got diagnosed with terminal cancer. She would bully me (17M) since I was 13, usually just call me names and make snide remarks, but one time she made fun of my dead mother, which is the one that stuck in my head for so long. It was constant and relentless bullying and made me feel low and inferior.

She stopped at 16, my guess was because her father died in a car accident and realized how she made me feel. Though she never apologised.

So she got terminal cancer and made some big post on her social media and got lots of attention. When saw me in school yesterday, she was tearful and apologised for how she treated me.

Honestly, I felt nothing. I said "I don't accept your apology, nor do I offer you my sympathies" and walked away, I could hear her cry even more.

My friends agree with what I did but all her friends gave me poo poo. I try to ignore them when I see them but they just come at me like rabid animals and say stuff that I should say sorry and that I'm an rear end in a top hat. When her mother confronted me on what I said, telling me that I should've at least offered sympathy because she's dying, I only said "Just means I no longer need to deal with her." I blocked them all on social media. Idk maybe I was too harsh, but if I'm being honest I don't feel sympathy for her. I feel nothing for her. No hatred, but no sympathy either. When she dies, it will be just another day for me. Maybe this makes me an AH but I cant help how I feel and I spoke what I felt, just as she did. AITA?

Get rekt, kid.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 2, 2024

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

DoctorTristan posted:

I hate to be the one to break this, but Friends is to today’s twentysomethings as Happy Days was to people who grew up watching Friends.

That's me! I remember watching happy days as a kid. But I'm not sure what it means to me. So you haven't really cleared anything up.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Get rekt, kid.

quote:

When her mother confronted me on what I said, telling me that I should've at least offered sympathy because she's dying, I only said "Just means I no longer need to deal with her."

How did anybody survive the room plunging to zero degrees Kelvin here? :iceburn:

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

MagusofStars posted:

The Office also has a similar popularity among Zoomers that were too young to watch it when it was on.

The usual explanation is that social media allows people to actually encounter classic shows in a way that wasn't possible before. If you're a Millennial, you had very minimal opportunity to run across an episode or clip of e.g., Happy Days - and even if you did, none of your friends would watch that same episode/clip, so it wouldn't be a trend. But with social media, you can much more easily encounter an old show like Friends and when one person posts it, all your friends see it too so it can become a shared experience.

It's like our society is splintering into multiple shared realities instead of the singular "mainstream" shared reality of the past.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

quote:

"I don't accept your apology, nor do I offer you my sympathies"

Is this how 17 yo talk nowadays?

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004

Yoshi Wins posted:

Anyway, generations are a fake idea, so it’s a pretty arbitrary judgement call no matter what.

This. We all know it's fake, but we all fall into the trap of discussing them as if they're real. Me included. I hate it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

If it was a diabolical plot to have the sub call OP a hypocritical rear end in a top hat and assert a transpersons' right to participate, then it's going swimmingly.

Fine, gently caress it. Have a feel good cancer/car accident story

Get rekt, kid.

One of my bullies died in my last year of school. Teachers and students alike got big mad when I didn't give a gently caress.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jen heir rick posted:

It's like our society is splintering into multiple shared realities instead of the singular "mainstream" shared reality of the past.

Is there some mandela effect style subreddit for dudes who think reality is shattering because they started talking to people who aren't watching the same two sitcoms on broadcast TV

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 2, 2024

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

What equipment? Dice and pencils?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Crocobile posted:

AITAH for not offering to pay for my husband and his kids leading him to spend all his savings?
December 21, 2023**

***Relevant Comments:***

**Update**
January 8th, 2024

New Update*
February 24, 2024

God drat Reddit is bad. People saying ESH because she was constantly lied to and didn't just intuit that her "husband" lied about almost everything. She would even ask him if things were ok and asked for his input, yet she is somehow an rear end in a top hat for not seeing through his lies or believing him when he said things were fine?

Yes, their situation was weird, but that doesn't automatically mean wrong.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

My favorite bit is how everyone who doesn't agree with OP is just a 'follower'. Nice touch, even if bait.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

8one6 posted:

The equipment is a penis. And maybe balls.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Part of if is because in the digital age, there isn't actually much of a difference between something released 3 months ago versus 3 years versus 30. As long as it isn't totally lost media, it's fair game.

I wonder if newer generations struggle with digesting storylines made before the ubiquity of cellphones. I’m watching the Sopranos, and even though the characters have cellphones, it’s universally accepted that someone can be unreachable for days for completely banal reasons. Modern media still doesn’t feature extensive group chat drama or anything, of course. But given how much texting figures into TV now, it’s only a matter of time.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 2, 2024

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Annie Hall has a constantly-repeated gag about one character, a doctor, who calls his service whenever he changes locations and dictates his itinerary for the next couple of hours. "And I'll be at the gym, XXX-XXXX, from three till five".

I bet modern audiences (if there are any) don't grasp what's going on.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

kimbo305 posted:

I wonder if newer generations struggle with digesting storylines made before the ubiquity of cellphones. I’m watching the Sopranos, and even though the characters have cellphones, it’s universally accepted that someone can be unreachable for days for completely banal reasons. Modern media still doesn’t feature extensive group chat drama or anything, of course. But given how much texting figures into TV now, it’s only a matter of time.

My cellphone made a noise like an hour ago but gently caress if i'm gonna reach over 3 feet to find out why. If it was important they'd call or drop me a message on Signal.

EDIT: And it just beeped again. If i check it it's gonna be a lot of nothing. Meh.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

8one6 posted:

I'm sorry but you're packing 3.5e and we're running 5e.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A lovely update. Original here. Tl; dr: daughter is getting married wearing a suit; the fiancee will be wearing a bridal gown. Daughter asked to take apart mother's wedding gown to make part of her own clothes.
Update: AITA for not allowing my daughter to significantly alter my wedding dress

quote:

I posted recently about my daughter surprising me by wanting to turn my wedding dress into a suit, which I refused despite having promised her because the reality hurt me. I was upset and it made me feel better to see people agree with me. But the comments that made me upset made me think the most about the future and helped me empathize with my daughter.

My daughter came over tonight and apologized for ignoring me, and explained that she had always thought she had been promised she could have the dress to own rather than borrow, so she was sad to have lost that dream. I apologized for if I had ever come off as not supportive of her, as many comments said I sounded homophobic and I want to be clear that I am not. I respect and love my daughter.

We talked about many things, especially about my husband, how his presence could still be felt on the day, how my daughter felt jealous that her fiance would get to share the day with both of her parents while she has only a memory. We watched the wedding video again (it's been a few years) and cried a bit. We also had some wine so I apologize if this is not completely clear. I told her that I hadn't realized how much giving up the dress would hurt and that I didn't think I could completely sacrifice it, and that I would talk to a tailor about if the dress could be separated and be put back together and returned to me, but if not then I would help her find a suit as alternative and give her some of the dress's lining to use in it. I also surprised her with her father's wedding cufflinks to wear, as suggested by many commenters, and my veil in case her fiance wanted to wear it, and she was extremely happy with this as a compromise.

She asked if she could try the dress on just to see what it would be like. I will admit I was hoping she would change her mind once she had it on. She let me do her hair and makeup however I felt like. She was laughing so hard because it reminded her of when I did her braids for school. She picked out things for me to wear too in her style too just to see how I would look and we took pictures together and danced. She looked beautiful in the dress, it was like I had always dreamed when she was my little girl, but she didn't look like herself.

Suddenly I knew a lot of you had been right. I hugged her and apologized and told her to take it and do whatever she wants.

She has gone home now and some parts of me regret giving it to her, I have been teary putting away the photos. But more than that I am thankful that I got to see what I thought would happen and realize it wasn't right, and that I can say goodbye to the expectations I had had for so long. My daughter is happy as herself and it is an honor that she wants to share that with me :)

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Everyone knows trans men have incredibly sweaty palms that the cis and trans women don't. Therefore they cannot be trusted with the equipment.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

8one6 posted:

Dude is saying they don't have the right swords/spells/armor or whatever and it wouldn't mesh with the group. I think.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
"cis men and trans women all have the same equipment, unlike this trans man" being a focal concept of this story is the part that should raise red flags for readers btw if you're a cis person wondering why people are crying 'bait'

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Adding someone new to an established DND group/campaign can turbo gently caress the dynamic if they aren't into it at the same level but it has absolutely gently caress all to do with gender.

The way to figure out if they will work out is easy and fun though, you just do a one shot and give all the regulars random pre roll characters. It will get the newbie into the group vibe and teach them the game while giving everyone else a chance to roleplay someone potentially outside their normal class/alignment and just gently caress around and have fun.

e: best guess is it's an old post about :females: and they just added transphobic bs for drama bait.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 3, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Also, uhhhh, I don't know any trans zoomers who use ftm or mtf. That's considered bio-essentialist terminology of yesteryear

Normally I wouldn't join in on the 'its fake' train, but trans bait can lead to stoking anti-trans sentiment, which can lead to real life harm

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

InediblePenguin posted:

"cis men and trans women all have the same equipment, unlike this trans man" being a focal concept of this story is the part that should raise red flags for readers btw if you're a cis person wondering why people are crying 'bait'

I take your point. :tipshat:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Also, uhhhh, I don't know any trans zoomers who use ftm or mtf. That's considered bio-essentialist terminology of yesteryear

Why? Because the f/m are sex terms instead of woman/man gender terms? What's the new term?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Annie Hall has a constantly-repeated gag about one character, a doctor, who calls his service whenever he changes locations and dictates his itinerary for the next couple of hours. "And I'll be at the gym, XXX-XXXX, from three till five".

I bet modern audiences (if there are any) don't grasp what's going on.

They assume it’s for an AI bot that tweets the status update.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

My boyfriend doesn’t know that I understand everything he says in his native language during sex

quote:

Me (22f) and my boyfriend (25m) have been together for 3 years and he’s originally from France and moved to the states when he was 20. His native tongue is French.

Back in 2022 I began taking classes to learn French. I’ve tried keeping it secret from him so I can surprise him once I’m fully fluent. However, as I began understanding French more and more I begun realizing that his dirty talk wasn’t actually dirty talk.

I’m a sucker for accents so listening to him just talk always got me off. But I realized he has been secretly complaining about me *to me* the complaints aren’t big. He hates how long I take in the shower, and the fact I eat all the Nutella before he can get some. He hates that I stomp around like a monkey in the mornings and wake him up.

It takes everything within me not to laugh while he’s balls deep in me, calling me an obnoxious monkey and complaining about my cold feet touching him in the middle of the night.

I love this man so much. I can’t wait to marry him.

ETA: throwaway cause he knows my main :) also it’s not just “mean” poo poo. He says loving things too however that’s not as funny as him being pissed off about not getting any Nutella lol

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The stench of rancid equipmentism fills the room

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Solenna posted:

How exactly does being born with a penis help you play D&D? How are they rolling the dice????
Dungeons and Dingalings

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Akratic Method posted:

Why? Because the f/m are sex terms instead of woman/man gender terms? What's the new term?

Because it's not even about the words, it's about the fact that someone's birth sex is a private thing, and only really relevant in medical contexts, or when they are speaking about their own personal journey in life. Going out of your way to specify everyone in the group as "mtf/ftm" or "amab/afab" or such is the same mindset as calling them "biologically male/female", just using "trans-friendly" terms to do so.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Hughlander posted:

My boyfriend doesn’t know that I understand everything he says in his native language during sex

That was not the direction I expected this story to take lmao

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

And then everyone clapped.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hughlander posted:

lol

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Telarra posted:

Because it's not even about the words, it's about the fact that someone's birth sex is a private thing, and only really relevant in medical contexts, or when they are speaking about their own personal journey in life. Going out of your way to specify everyone in the group as "mtf/ftm" or "amab/afab" or such is the same mindset as calling them "biologically male/female", just using "trans-friendly" terms to do so.

I mean, without the distinction, the story doesn't make sense.

While I concede that the story could be bait, what confuses me is that it's really lovely bait. The comments are uniformly "YTA, you're being transphobic and that's bad." Maybe I'm just unclear at the whole concept of a bait post. I presume the point of such would be a transphobe making a post that paints trans people in a negative light or reinforces a stereotype, and I don't think this one does.

Is there some ancillary benefit to having like 12 people say "you are indeed the rear end in a top hat, do not gatekeep trans people from this space" that I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

to be fair I do this same thing with my dog where I tell him in a nice voice he's a stupid little lovely dog that stinks while I pet him and I love the hell out of that dog