Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

smoobles posted:

Has anyone used one of those ultra wide curved monitors in a work setup, i.e. instead of dual monitors?

In theory it'd be dope as gently caress to split one wide screen between 2-3 applications at once, and make my setup look a lot sleeker. Any downsides?

Stressing what mobby said on height. I use an ultrawide and 2 vertical 27s. I really dislike the space command look and 3 monitor wiring\arms and would like to go to something like a 49 inch ultrawide, but giving up the vertical space is a really tough sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've used quite a few ultrawide monitors over the years and just recently switched to a super ultrawide. The only real time the lack of vertical bothered me was when I spent a ton of time RDPing into servers. Having a vertical resolution of higher than 1200 was nice because then you could do 1600x1200 windows.

It took me a few days to get used to the smaller vertical resolution on my 32:9 coming from 21:9 monitor. I don't really miss it anymore, having the ability to do two widescreen windows next to each other or even a "priority" in the center and a smaller window in each side is worth the trade-off to me.

Also, gaming :pcgaming:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The main constraint is that the most common ultrawide form factor is 34" and you tend to lose a fair bit of pixel height with that. The other quirk is depending on your desk space, you might end up with the ultrawide setup so you're staring at the middle of two side-by-side windows. Might be less comfortable than the standard multi monitor where you're staring straight at one monitor/window

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How is it gaming with a single ultra wide if you want to have side windows up for a game reference and maybe another with discord? With 2x 27” I could simply game on one monitor and snap 2 windows on the other monitor.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Josh Lyman posted:

How is it gaming with a single ultra wide if you want to have side windows up for a game reference and maybe another with discord? With 2x 27” I could simply game on one monitor and snap 2 windows on the other monitor.

Power Toys/Fancy Zones and playing your games in windowed mode makes this feasible. It's fine, I did it all the time when I was testing the Corsair Xeneon Flex

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Got to have my spreadsheets open when I play Balatro

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Anti-Hero posted:

The LG 32" WOLED is up for preorder, with expected shipping in mid April.

I know these displays use matte coatings which can be incredibly divisive. I'm using a 42 C2 in a very light controlled environment so I got all the pros of the glossy screen and none of the negatives.

All things being equal the LG 32 WOLED was the screen I've been most interested just because of the styling and pedigree, but the matte screen is giving me some amount of pause before throwing down my CC number.

Anyone have thoughts or anecdotes of matte screens in OLEDs?

I've pretty much given up on getting the Asus QDOLED any time soon as all indications are that was a paper launch and mid-April is when they'll be readily available.

I only have glossy OLED screens so no personal experience but I hope it's not like QD-OLED where the matte layer turns the blacks to greys in bright environments

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

lordfrikk posted:

I only have glossy OLED screens so no personal experience but I hope it's not like QD-OLED where the matte layer turns the blacks to greys in bright environments

That's doubtful, I believe the QD-OLED issue is because of the quantum dot layer and lack of polarizer.

I'll let this marinate a bit, I'm not in the habit of preordering stuff and don't want to make a judgement heavily influenced by FOMO. My LG C2 is honestly serving me fine and it's just a little bigger than I'd like for any sort of competitive FPS game, which at this point is only Hunt: Showdown and that's hardly a twitchy game.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I settled on a 34-in Acer ultrawide! Seems like the right size for productivity, and I can bring it closer to my face for gaming because I'm going to wall mount it on a swivel

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://videocardz.com/newz/gigabyte-details-its-aorus-f032up2-oled-monitor-with-displayport-2-1

That's quite the I/O panel. This is Gigabyte's full DP 2.1 (UHBR20) monitor. They're even throwing in DP daisy chaining for shits and giggles, I guess.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://videocardz.com/newz/gigabyte-details-its-aorus-f032up2-oled-monitor-with-displayport-2-1

That's quite the I/O panel. This is Gigabyte's full DP 2.1 (UHBR20) monitor. They're even throwing in DP daisy chaining for shits and giggles, I guess.

That definitely looks nice. The price however, will be the final voice in that.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
If I wanted to disassemble a monitor and separate its delicate electronic parts from the plastic shell so I can vinyl wrap it, do I need to find a seam line and try to wedge it open? I've never opened up a monitor before for repairs or anything.

On a similar note, how do you update the firmware on a monitor? Is that what the ethernet port on it is for?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

god please help me posted:

If I wanted to disassemble a monitor and separate its delicate electronic parts from the plastic shell so I can vinyl wrap it, do I need to find a seam line and try to wedge it open? I've never opened up a monitor before for repairs or anything.

On a similar note, how do you update the firmware on a monitor? Is that what the ethernet port on it is for?

Disassembling a monitor depends entirely on the model, but most are similar to laptops where there's just a bunch of plastic clips holding the outer shell and/or bezel together and then the inside is often screwed to the back into some plastic bosses. It's worth looking on ifixit and also just youtube and general google searches for your monitor to find someone who's done it before and posted a guide. Some have adhesive holding parts together and you have to use a heat gun to separate it which is a little nerve wracking, but I haven't seen a ton of those and it can be done. I've never seen a monitor with an ethernet port. I'd imagine most of them have firmware updates from inside your OS and they work over the HDMI or DP cable.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Not many monitors have ethernet ports. A lot have USB-B ports, which are typically what firmware updates are done over.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

no eARC out :pathetic:

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
One of my old side TN panels has broken so I need to buy a new monitor. I've been currently using the VG27AQ monitor as my main gaming monitor and am trying to figure out if I should get something new/better for my main monitor or just get the slightly updated VG27AQ1LA and call it good (or something even cheaper and leave on the side).

I'm trying to stay under $500 with a goal closer to $400 which significantly limits my options. I'm still looking at 1440p, want to confirm that I should stay away from VA to game on. Seems like I can get a 32+" curved QHD VA in my price range but I'm assuming I should stick with IPS.

The LG 27GP850-B looked pretty comparable to the Asus VG27AQ1LA, any reason to pick one over the other?

Also slightly out of my price range but I was looking at the Ultrawides LG 34GN850-B / 34GP83A-B. Maybe I could get it close to $500 if I wait for a sale.

Is buying used a bad idea?

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.
Does anyone have any recommendations on a 49 inch non-oled monitor? My current setup is 3 monitors, one 34 inch and two 27 inch ones, we're moving overseas and I don't want to take this monstrosity with me so I'm thinking about downgrading to a single monitor:

I'm guessing I'll need a newer GPU to drive something that big, currently I've got an older AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, I'd be looking to stick with AMD since I run Linux, should I take that question to the GPU thread?

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

thoughts on the LG 27GR83Q-B?

looking for a 1440p 240hz somewhere at a minimum of 27" and a maximum of 32" for size. not really interested in OLED unless it's a crazy bargain, as $600 is probably the max i'm willing to spend

am i better off just grabbing the Samsung Odyssey G7 for the extra ~$100? is there [something else] that i've missed in this price/feature bracket?

don't really give a poo poo about curved or flat, don't really give a poo poo about 4K since framerate matters more to me, and i've tried to scour this thread to see if there's a consensus on what the "winner" is for this particular niche of monitor in [current year] but come out mostly empty-handed -- lots of useful thoughts on OLEDs, but that doesn't help me very much

i'm looking to buy two of these as upgrades for two different computers, and just throwing the current older, worse monitors as secondary displays for each of them. if it matters at all, each PC is running an intel 13700K and an RTX 4070

also,

Sorry about your monitor troubles. :( I have nothing to add other than posting about these pretty monitors that I saw.

that indiegogo page posted:

oh my god that's so pretty i want it :psyduck:

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Zoya posted:

looking for a 1440p 240hz somewhere at a minimum of 27" and a maximum of 32" for size. not really interested in OLED unless it's a crazy bargain, as $600 is probably the max i'm willing to spend

am i better off just grabbing the Samsung Odyssey G7 for the extra ~$100? is there [something else] that i've missed in this price/feature bracket?

don't really give a poo poo about curved or flat, don't really give a poo poo about 4K since framerate matters more to me, and i've tried to scour this thread to see if there's a consensus on what the "winner" is for this particular niche of monitor in [current year] but come out mostly empty-handed -- lots of useful thoughts on OLEDs, but that doesn't help me very much

i'm looking to buy two of these as upgrades for two different computers, and just throwing the current older, worse monitors as secondary displays for each of them. if it matters at all, each PC is running an intel 13700K and an RTX 4070

also,

oh and i'm upgrading from an ASUS XG27VQ for whatever that's worth, which will now rotate and become my secondary monitor in portrait mode, replacing...... rest in peace, Dell 2407WFP, you've served me unceasingly, with dignity and grace, for the last 18 years. it's okay. you can... you can let go now, old friend. you can finally... let go. rest easy, comrade, and just... just close your eyes now.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I just bought that LG monitor and its nice, but the price seems high on amazon. I got it from best buy for $300 ish

e: oh that one is 240hz and the one I got is 165

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zoya posted:

It seems pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-1zV7MYT4U

The cheaper alternatives are the Gigabyte M27Q-X, which performs similarly in most ways but is a cheaper-feeling product with less consistent QA. The Asus VG27AQML1A is at a good price, but I haven't seen any thorough reviews for it so I don't know how good it is (Asus monitors usually aren't bad, though), and the MSI G274QPX which Monitors Unboxed also reviewed, and it doesn't seem as good as this LG monitor though it is almost $150 cheaper.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 4, 2024

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
My god apparently a lot of these new OLEDs have what looks like the worst screen coating I’ve ever seen in my life

https://youtu.be/nAL_YyiNQJc?si=7vrpXfHF-o8c7Lj4&t=288

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The WOLED monitors have that matte coating, not the QD-OLED monitors. That said, opinions on it vary a lot, and I've seen people say that they actually like the coating a lot. The only other person I've seen be this negative about it was probably Dawid from Dawid Does Tech Stuff.

"The Display Guy" is a total hack who knows practically nothing about displays and constantly spreads misinformation and does half-assed reviews. In this case, that's easily the blurriest picture of the matte WOLED coating I've ever seen. The shot is blatantly out of focus, which is making the clarity look worse than it is.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 4, 2024

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I've seen plenty of Reddit posts along the lines of "I'll never buy an OLED monitor with a matte coating" but having actually tested a few, it's totally fine in practice. Not a big deal at all

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Zoya posted:

Don't buy a Samsung G7. I have a the 32inch version and it has a lot of quirks (flicker, scan lines, issues with 10bit color etc etc).

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Canna Happy posted:

Don't buy a Samsung G7. I have a the 32inch version and it has a lot of quirks (flicker, scan lines, issues with 10bit color etc etc).

hm. and here i was thinking the samsung odyssey line in general was the "you pay a lot extra but drat" tier of monitors

mostly looking between ASUS, LG, and Alienware (AW2723DF) at this point -- I know ASUS is always going to be solid but after years of looking at the one i've got already the ROG branding just becomes more and more cringe

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Zoya posted:

hm. and here i was thinking the samsung odyssey line in general was the "you pay a lot extra but drat" tier of monitors

mostly looking between ASUS, LG, and Alienware (AW2723DF) at this point -- I know ASUS is always going to be solid but after years of looking at the one i've got already the ROG branding just becomes more and more cringe

ASUS needs to bring back Rock Solid, Heart Touching

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

change my name posted:

I've seen plenty of Reddit posts along the lines of "I'll never buy an OLED monitor with a matte coating" but having actually tested a few, it's totally fine in practice. Not a big deal at all
One my older Dell IPS monitors has a grainy coating that I suspect would look like that under a microscope. I remember that some people were really mad about it back in the day but even though I can see it a little, it never bothered me. Might be a good idea to check it out in person first though or make sure you can have painless returns at least.

Shipon posted:

ASUS needs to bring back Rock Solid, Heart Touching
:hmmyes:

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Thank y'all in regards for the advice in disassembling my monitor so I can hopefully vinyl wrap it. I think I'll go with a nice powder blue color as I already have a pink pixiopx275c monitor that I'm quite fond of. I'll always be a fan of having things in nice colors. Speaking of which....

Zoya posted:

god, :same:

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Looking to get a small monitor for under my main screen. Desk doesn't have space for another full size monitor unfortunately.

Basically a 15 in laptop or smaller w/a basic stand (at least tablet size) that I can easily connect to my PC and just have a web browser up on. Or a movie.

Got a lot of portable monitors popping up as options. Would be cool to have touch screen capabilities, but not sure how well that works in Windows with a non-touch screen main monitor.

Any suggestions? Price under 300 bucks would be preferable.

Saw an article touting the UPERFECT USteam G16 for 280 but have never heard of this company.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

"UPERFECT" is probably the most prolific portable monitor manufacturer so they aren't total nobodies, but I have no idea how good or bad their poo poo usually is. Portable monitors are under-reviewed in general, and anecdotal user experiences are pretty unhelpful when it comes to displays.

Portable monitors primarily use laptop panels, and high-refresh laptop panels are generally decent these days. Though these specs are pretty lame for the price. I'm seeing 15" high-refresh 1440p for less than the price of this 1080p model, e.g. this. No touch screen though, which I guess is the feature that is commanding a premium here.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thank y'all in regards for the advice in disassembling my monitor so I can hopefully vinyl wrap it. I think I'll go with a nice powder blue color as I already have a pink pixiopx275c monitor that I'm quite fond of. I'll always be a fan of having things in nice colors. Speaking of which....

god, :same:

Just mask and spray paint your monitor

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7288390523860077867

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

"UPERFECT" is probably the most prolific portable monitor manufacturer so they aren't total nobodies, but I have no idea how good or bad their poo poo usually is. Portable monitors are under-reviewed in general, and anecdotal user experiences are pretty unhelpful when it comes to displays.

Cool, appreciate the insight. I'm very infrequently in the monitor space so don't keep up with this very much.

I'll probably just snag the one you linked, touch isn't a big deal for what I want to use it for.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
The AW2725DF arrived today and it is stunningly gorgeous to look at. Extremely impressive tech, especially when rotating the camera and seeing all the edges remain clear where I had a lot of overshoot or blur on the old monitor (Samsung C27G7 240hz VA Panel)

Couple of points:

After using curved monitors at home and at work for a long time it feels like it's bulging out from the center like and old CRT lol. Just a strange illusion.

I think most people will be best served with the new 32 inch 4K QD-OLEDs instead of the 27. I don't regret picking the 27 as I play a lot of FPS but the size is just a tad bit small. The bezels/overprovisioning eats into it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

change my name posted:

The coating makes the image quality worse. I got 27" LG OLED last year from time to time when I use it I'm like yep this would look better without the anti glare. I wish people would care more about image quality than maybe having to spend some effort fiddling with their setups lighting. Whatever image quality is not a bulletpoint marketable metric so who cares.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 4, 2024

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

I did paint a mini pc, and to be honest, I wasn't a fan of the outcome. It's a skill issue on my part. :sweatdrop: But I am impressed with what people are doing with vinyl wrap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zk8aJVpSRI

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Got myself a 4070 Ti super and am looking to upgrade my monitor. Owing to desk space issues I'm basically stuck at 27" with a 1080p second monitor sat at its side. I imagine I want to go 4k with the card but I have no idea what's actually good outside of googling and hoping.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Out of nowhere my monitor started doing this, I don't suppose there is a chance it's not broken? It was working perfectly fine, no signs of any issues. What is the go to OLED 34" these days?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
G-sync module monitor? Unplug it for an hour or so and see if it's still doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

K8.0 posted:

G-sync module monitor? Unplug it for an hour or so and see if it's still doing it.
It isn't g-sync (just freesync) , but I will try and let it cool down, hope that is it, wasn't quite ready for a new one. :(

LG 34GK950F to be specific.

Edit: I bought the AW3225QF

Rusty fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 6, 2024