Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Nice of that chart up there to not tell us how household wealth for the bottom fifth is doing

never heard of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

that place feels like such a relic of the 80s and 90s that I can't imagine how anyone still shops there

My wife shops there occasionally for crafting. she's gonna be bummed out.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if I were a large retailer I’d simply have no debt

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

FistEnergy posted:

My wife shops there occasionally for crafting. she's gonna be bummed out.

I just get visions of ugly floral patterns like old rear end 90s wallpaper in my head. It might not be that way but it sounds like some of them sure are run down.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/netcapgirl/status/1763729213620678804?t=rbTaHCwWaDA7B2EN2F29Ew&s=19

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Krugman is such a piece of poo poo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

of the top 7 only one company makes anything

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
The hobby lobby in my city is always packed on the weekends. They have the blessings of Jesus, though. Not like those heathens Michael and Joanne.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

people come into this thread to read things related to economics, not some poo poo for yospos computer touchers

that's the guy who stopped reading the thread title at "doomsday" btw

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

i dunno man I would think half the US population losing their reproductive rights because of dumbshit like what I just posted is pretty Doomsday but whatevs

https://twitter.com/PopMech/status/1742623446058606660?t=5yjNY1cF3Vlm4DVt6l3EpA&s=19

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

euphronius posted:

of the top 7 only one company makes anything

what're we defining as "make" here

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

skooma512 posted:

https://kypolicy.org/house-bill-500-takes-away-kentucky-workers-lunch-and-rest-breaks-and-cuts-their-pay/

House Bill (HB) 500, which may receive a vote in the full House soon, would take away Kentucky workers’ rights to lunch and rest breaks at work and would eliminate pay protections, including for time spent traveling to and from a job site during work hours. It is an assault on longstanding basic rights and dignities on the job that will harm practically all Kentucky workers. Specifically, HB 500:

Repeals the requirement that employers provide a lunch break. Since a state law passed in 1974, businesses must provide a lunch break every three to five hours, but that right would be eliminated under HB 500. Instead, HB 500 says only that a worker required to keep working without a lunch break can’t be denied pay if they juggle eating something while on the job. However, if the employer does provide a lunch break and they discover a worker eating at another time while on the clock, they will not be required to pay them for that time — even a worker who needs a snack for medical reasons.

Repeals the requirement that employers provide a rest break. Currently, employers must provide at least a 10-minute rest break for each four hours of work in addition to a scheduled lunch period. HB 500 takes away that right, which was established in 1958.

Repeals the requirement that employees who work seven days in a row receive time-and-a-half overtime pay. Current law, which has been in place since 1942, incentivizes employers to give workers a rest day to allow the opportunity for them to recover and spend time with their families, but that incentive would go away.

Eliminates employer liability for failure to provide proper pay for work time spent traveling between jobs and for time spent on certain activities associated with starting and wrapping up a job. Employers could not be punished for failing to provide minimum wages or overtime pay for travel to and from a work site and for activities that are in preparation for, or part of the wind-down from, a work activity — such as donning and doffing personal protective equipment in a hazardous work environment.

god drat this is dire

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

triple sulk posted:

what're we defining as "make" here

Nvidia and Apple outsource to foundry fabs like tsmc

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

RealityWarCriminal posted:

i am begging you, learn a useful lifeskill that isn't touch computer and eat hot chip

:goonsay:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that's the guy who stopped reading the thread title at "doomsday" btw

it would really help if you people stopped being vague on what is and isn't considered "Doomsday Econ"

Almost everything I post here is poo poo that effects people from a Macro/Micro-Economic level

Is this Doomsday Econ?

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1764048135796494454?t=zRnyMrWJAME-Q_PMAFYQHg&s=19

Or this?

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1764036730393403658?t=CnggclklRLZbVaGGcbQ0uA&s=19

or maybe this?

https://twitter.com/SethCL/status/1763949012057489543?t=8L9OgzCZvam1HtpK4PPxlg&s=19

enlighten me

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
and stop whining about computer nerds!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

and stop whining about computer nerds!

hit dogs holler

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

i wish.

but seriously though everybody itt

in this very loving forum

has NO right to pretend they aren't some bizarre variation of Computer Nerd

it's kinda hilarious and sad everytime somebody tries to pretend they're some sort of chad dunking on dorks when they're everybit as terminally online

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 00:03 on Mar 3, 2024

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

i wish.

but seriously though everybody itt

in this very loving forum

has NO right to pretend they aren't some bizarre variation of Computer Nerd

it's kinda hilarious and sad everytime somebody tries to pretend they're some chad dunking on dorks when they're everybit as terminally online

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Playtime is over

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i too have a hateboner for intellectuals

fwiw I'm not talking about silicon valley CryptoTechBros like Musk/Zuckerberg/Gates.

Like you guys are literally just getting mad at people trying to improve their material conditions

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 00:19 on Mar 3, 2024

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm not a computer nerd.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I only respect real janitors and sometimes real engineers.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

goons used to have huge arguments about the value of STEM degrees vs. the liberal arts a decade ago. people seemed to have moved on and focus on the relative merits of careers within STEM

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

shrike82 posted:

goons used to have huge arguments about the value of STEM degrees vs. the liberal arts a decade ago. people seemed to have moved on and focus on the relative merits of careers within STEM

it's mostly whether or not the computer touchers can be welcomed as engineers

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Goldman Sachs my dick

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
as a computer toucher and fake engineer I say keep yelling at computer touchers and fake engineers

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Math is one of the liberal arts

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
They named the company that hoards sacks of gold, Goldman Sachs

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's too bad the prompt engineering stuff came and went as LLM advancements lessened the need for it.
the discourse around highly paid fulltime prompt engineers would have been something

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

shrike82 posted:

i know because that very thing happened in this thread lol.

people here literally went from whining about how AIs finally gonna get rid of those Smug liberal Hollywood Screenwriters with useless art school degrees to whining about how AIs finally gonna stick it to those computer toucher incel freaks. it's wild

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Azuth0667 posted:

I only respect real janitors and sometimes real engineers.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Math is one of the liberal arts

Math owns and so does philosophy.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Playtime is over

it seems so

https://www.theregister.com/2024/02/27/jensen_huang_coders/

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be coders, Jensen Huang warns

Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang believes AI has advanced to the point at which it's no longer necessary to prioritize computer science and coding education for the world's youth.

Apologies to the past decade of CompSci grads, but your college years would have been better spent gaining expertise in areas like science, manufacturing or farming, Huang declared at the recent World Governments Summit in Dubai.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I did computer touching for a career but I'm not a loving nerd. Nerds are like all anime and poo poo and I don't care for that. Oh, I did like Castle of Cagliostro and Spirited Away blew me away. Howl was ok.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Anime sucks*, except I like

*that thread will forever live in my head rent free. i didn't have an account at the time but i remember it pissing me off to an insane degree because the takes in it were SO loving dumb

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Beached Whale posted:

They were acquired by private equity, pushed to IPO in 2021 and all the debt was dumped on the bag holders that are now going to eat the bankruptcy. America baybee

Id say we need to get rid of PE but I'm also rooting for it as an agent of destruction re:western society

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

i know because that very thing happened in this thread lol.

people here literally went from whining about how AIs finally gonna get rid of those Smug liberal Hollywood Screenwriters with useless art school degrees to whining about how AIs finally gonna stick it to those computer toucher incel freaks. it's wild

Nobody here wants AI to replace screenwriters.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

triple sulk posted:

that place feels like such a relic of the 80s and 90s that I can't imagine how anyone still shops there

Joann is great if you need lots of material for, say, a backdrop to photograph stuff in front of, or, fingers crossed, an entire roll of reflective mylar for a grow room

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mila kunis posted:

it seems so

https://www.theregister.com/2024/02/27/jensen_huang_coders/

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be coders, Jensen Huang warns

Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang believes AI has advanced to the point at which it's no longer necessary to prioritize computer science and coding education for the world's youth.

Apologies to the past decade of CompSci grads, but your college years would have been better spent gaining expertise in areas like science, manufacturing or farming, Huang declared at the recent World Governments Summit in Dubai.

learn 2 farm

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The AI saleman says you should buy more AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

One of the funnier things about this AI boom is Musk's public fear-mongering solely because it's not his product and he's angry someone might end up richer than him with an even bigger flimflam product