Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn_jANMqAgA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Xelkelvos posted:

One thing I enjoy about Jellystone is how it just throws out a lot of the really outdated references while keeping the vibe for some of them like Jabberjaw vs. Top Cat.

yeah. like i genuinly like alot of the weird choices they make that end up actually working. I remember the talking thumbs were mad about jabberjaw being a girl and not like the original, but like what kid knows who curley was. like cartoons evolve and take on the characteristics of the time. like old cartoons can be great but alot of it references poo poo that isnt thing now or dont make sense to a kid in 2024. poo poo changes. like most of those characters are based on celebrities and poo poo not even boomers remember. like most cartoonists of that era grew up with vaudvile/golden age hollywood/stephen foster/minstral poo poo and it impacted the poo poo out of their work both good and bad. like all the modern stuff i watch is has alot of elements barrowed from things the artists watched in the 90s/00/10s.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It is kind of interesting to see the swaps.

Jabberjaw seems like a totally different character, but she is true to the one characteristic the original Jabberjaw had that wasn't derived from doing a Curly impersonation: having a hard time getting a date.

Augie Doggie's vibe with Doggy Daddy changes a little bit, but not that much, from being a daughter instead of a son.

Loopy de Loop is basically a completely different person on top of being French instead of French Canadian, and it's fascinating to consider why they went that direction.

Several of Top Cat's gang swapped genders, but they're honestly all pretty different except for Top Cat and Benny, which I think is because Jellystone! isn't really trying to present them as "cool" or "hip".

Bobbie Louie is basically a new character, although I guess she retains the trait of being "sensible."

A couple of minor characters like Pixie and Dixie have been swapped to female without if it really making a difference at all, and groups like the Clue Club have cameoed with a few members no longer being white, which honestly just reminds how you white that stuff used to be. (Have to wonder what the Amazing Chan Clan would be like on Jellystone!.)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Call me when they get Pain to do a reprise of the old Jabberjaw song.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Jabberjaw seems like a totally different character, but she is true to the one characteristic the original Jabberjaw had that wasn't derived from doing a Curly impersonation: having a hard time getting a date.

Augie Doggie's vibe with Doggy Daddy changes a little bit, but not that much, from being a daughter instead of a son.

Loopy de Loop is basically a completely different person on top of being French instead of French Canadian, and it's fascinating to consider why they went that direction.

Several of Top Cat's gang swapped genders, but they're honestly all pretty different except for Top Cat and Benny, which I think is because Jellystone! isn't really trying to present them as "cool" or "hip".

Bobbie Louie is basically a new character, although I guess she retains the trait of being "sensible."

A couple of minor characters like Pixie and Dixie have been swapped to female without if it really making a difference at all, and groups like the Clue Club have cameoed with a few members no longer being white, which honestly just reminds how you white that stuff used to be. (Have to wonder what the Amazing Chan Clan would be like on Jellystone!.)

i like the implication tha daddy doggy was the orignal auggie and its just the cycle continuing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The main thing they had to deal with was that if you take all the main protagonists of Hannah Barbera cartoons and put them together, a lot of them are redundant, and you'd get a 90% male cast, so it makes sense to shift them around, especially since a lot of them are very forgettable in their original forms. If you go watch the "original" big Hannah-Barbera team-up shows like Laff-a-lympics, Yogi's Space Race, and Yogi's Treasure Hunt, you see a lot of the characters struggling to assert themselves as their own thing among all the samey options.

A lot of the characters whose one main joke is that they're dumb as hell got realy toned down, because broadly all the characters are already kinda dumb, so you don't need bigger idiots stumbling around going "duh". Conversely, most of the "clever" characters have also had their brainpower turned down to fit with the baseline idiocy the world is meant to have.
  • Lippy the Lion and Hardy Har Har have been made into an elderly couple, and I guess that rounds out the population of the town some.
  • Shag the youngest son of the Hillbilly Bears has been I guess black-coded? I don't really know how else to describe him, but by focusing on him as a character and staying away from his family, they get away from the remnants of the hillbilly craze of the 60s.
  • Quickdraw McGraw is permanently in his Al-Kabong persona, and is spanish now, playing up the Zorro angle.
  • The Banana Splits are some kind of criminal gang and also aren't live action footage of people in mascot costumes
  • Peter Potamus is a more modern form of dork.
  • Ruff and Reddy are robots? No idea what that's about.

Rand Brittain posted:

No, "Tenchi marries everybody" is canon as of the most recent OVAs, although it's true that he's not really romantically interested in most of them and has basically settled on it as a way to keep his found family together for the next thousand years.

It's kind of weird to look at it today, because in the 90s I would have just said "that's a cop-out by a horny writer" but thinking about it lately caused me to realize "Oh! They formed a polycule! Good for them!".

I think it's still a cop-out, and the biggest problem with a lot of the modern harem animes that have managed to shrug off the farce parts of the genre is that when the cloud of potential love interests all just get along, there ceases to actually be a romantic plot. You just have all these characters floating around and kinda just disappearing into an ever growing background of secondary cast members.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

[*]The Banana Splits … aren't live action footage of people in mascot costumes

Big ol bunch of loving cowards made this I see.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
We need an anime bold enough to start with the polycule already formed and then watch it implode

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Warbird posted:

Big ol bunch of loving cowards made this I see.

i mean id laugh if they show just became smiling friends for kids or was more gumball. its cute show and i chuckled a bunch. again the humore is very homestarrunnerish.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think it's still a cop-out, and the biggest problem with a lot of the modern harem animes that have managed to shrug off the farce parts of the genre is that when the cloud of potential love interests all just get along, there ceases to actually be a romantic plot. You just have all these characters floating around and kinda just disappearing into an ever growing background of secondary cast members.

Yeah, it doesn't feel like an actual polycule because some of the girls barely have a relationship with each other.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Speaking of, where the hell is Smiling Friends Season 2?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SlothfulCobra posted:

The main thing they had to deal with was that if you take all the main protagonists of Hannah Barbera cartoons and put them together, a lot of them are redundant, and you'd get a 90% male cast, so it makes sense to shift them around, especially since a lot of them are very forgettable in their original forms. If you go watch the "original" big Hannah-Barbera team-up shows like Laff-a-lympics, Yogi's Space Race, and Yogi's Treasure Hunt, you see a lot of the characters struggling to assert themselves as their own thing among all the samey options.

It's not like this is anything new even, Tiny Toons did the exact same thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Warbird posted:

Speaking of, where the hell is Smiling Friends Season 2?

This but the Daria spin off.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Hong Kong Phoey is both an anime and a culturally dubious movie from the 80s and it kinda works to just isolate the actually racially dubious cartoon as a fictional property in fiction

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Open Source Idiom posted:

This but the Daria spin off.

Last heard from in 2022, it's going to be an animated film instead of a animated series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Invincible returns soon, have a trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=k5OY-vXYzeE

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
After watching some more of Jellystone! I've arrived at the conclusion that all of the members of Top Cat's gang are hilarious and I love their voices (not that Spook has one) but the new designs for the girls are not that great because they've taken the three most generic male members of the trio and given them exaggerated looks that express a single character trait (deadpan, spacey, silent madwoman) and not much else.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I like that, so far, every episode of Jellstyone I've seen has at least one joke that makes me laugh really hard.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained
I've liked the past seasons of Jellystone but this third one really feels improved at every level. It's pretty impressive that they made something great out of these bizarre characters I remember seeing at like 5 AM on Cartoon Network as a kid.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TheThirst posted:

I've liked the past seasons of Jellystone but this third one really feels improved at every level. It's pretty impressive that they made something great out of these bizarre characters I remember seeing at like 5 AM on Cartoon Network as a kid.

To me it feels more like an even more surreal meta version The Looney Tunes Show but with kid’s version of aqua teen hunger force and strong bad jokes. It’s great.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Brak cameo got me finally watching Jellystone and I gotta say I would have started watching it a LOT sooner if I had known C. H. Greenblatt who made Chowder and Harvey Beaks was involved. It captures the same fast paced humor combined with a large cast of uniquely insane characters that Chowder had and I am loving it.

Really hope A) this show doesn't get prematurely cancelled like Harvey Beaks and B) they bring Brak back for another episode because his voice actor remains fantastic and his character fits in perfectly with the tone of the show.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love Andy he's the best

It's great how other shows keep inviting him on to voice some character who is basically just Brak, like James in Adventure Time

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Only 40 more years until Brak is freed into the public domain!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Only 40 more years until Brak is freed into the public domain!

Yeah, but it won't be the fun Brak.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It'll be horror movie hack Brak at first either way but if that's the price to pay so be it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Khanstant posted:

It'll be horror movie hack Brak at first either way but if that's the price to pay so be it.

Brak needs to go back to being an out and out villain, if you ask me :colbert:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I like how the Brak show is canon to Jellystone. And, yeah, seconding the user who said they watched Jellystone because of Brak. I had watched 7 episodes apparently when the first season aired and forgot about it. Then, the brak scene ended up in my reccomended and I decided to revisit it.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
Surely execs will notice the Brak Bump™ and give audiences what they so clearly want

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The end of the new episode of Royal Crackers was kind of amazing for how abrupt it cut from that joke.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
So how is the 3rd season of Clone High working out?
After going back to Season 1, I can't go back to 2, so 3 is just a mystery vortex in my brain.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
Episode 8 has an incredible joke for fans of season 1

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The first few episodes have been fine. I need to get back to watching the rest, but kids and so on.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Neeksy posted:

So how is the 3rd season of Clone High working out?
After going back to Season 1, I can't go back to 2, so 3 is just a mystery vortex in my brain.

Season 3 has been pretty funny so far! I'm only on episode 7 but I've had a lot of good belly laughs

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Speaking of cameos of 90’s CN characters in Jellystone, I was surprised to see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9VEQIXFy1M

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Only seen the first episode of Jellystone so far but wow I kinda love the sense of humor.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Just stumbled across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIYiHP4mdLU

The few reviews I've skimmed said it reminds them of Tuca and Bertie, which has me tentatively optimistic. Also, Sam Smith is in the case?!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I watched the first episode, and thought it was weird enough to make up for not being very funny. I'll probably watch more.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I watched the first episode, and thought it was weird enough to make up for not being very funny. I'll probably watch more.

I watched the whole series and this was my takeaway too. Surprised it hasn't been mentioned in this thread previously!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I watched like 4 episodes. I mostly felt nothing from it. It's okay, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

For internet shorts/pilots that aren't Hazbin Hotel, Gamecade just came out and I hope it gets some traction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZnDhClJsKY