Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Well, fuckingtest explained part of it - so I'll just add that there's also the shield-lazgun interaction (though if you've not read the books, you wouldn't know about it because Denis didn't include it in the movies).
Specifically, if you shoot a shield with a lazgun, the resulting explosion can be anything up-to-and-including nuclear levels with ionizing radiation, and the latter is completely verboten under The Great Convention - apparently Houses major can go into exile (though Leto refuses to have Atreides do this, since he (rightly, thought he didn't live long enough to know) thinks he's found a potential ally that can rival the Emperors Sardukar), except if they use atomics.

also the blast can intermittently travel back up the lazray, so its just as likely to nuke the shooter instead of the target. IMO this probably could've been addressed in Dunc1 when Idaho steals the thopter and the Harkonnen shoot at it with a laser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If anyone's a cunning linguist, you might like the second part of this article.

Can't speak Arabic yet i hate the decision to remove the words from the movie, i'm so used to them in the books i guess and they added a lot of flavour to the text. :argh:

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I was confused by one thing at the end of them movie. I could swear the baron, feyd-ratha, and rabbat were all in the emporer's throne room to answer questions about the fremen. But then at basically the same time rabbat's then in arrakeen to fight guerney? Did I hallucinate him being in the throne room?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

big shtick energy posted:

I was confused by one thing at the end of them movie. I could swear the baron, feyd-ratha, and rabbat were all in the emporer's throne room to answer questions about the fremen. But then at basically the same time rabbat's then in arrakeen to fight guerney? Did I hallucinate him being in the throne room?

Nah, he shares a look and then walks out to fight and the junior of the two left stays. Then a bit of a time skip.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Just Another Lurker posted:

Can't speak Arabic yet i hate the decision to remove the words from the movie, i'm so used to them in the books i guess and they added a lot of flavour to the text. :argh:

Yeah, I wanted to shake the dude and yell at him when he was like everything we know would be obliterated in 10,000 years. Motherfucker, I love Dune *because* of those things, the sci fi far future bit is to help set the frame for the HUMAN story. It's not a story about linguistics you goddamn nerd, I don't need a loving mentat calculation about simulating language changes over ten thousand years. Fucker could have made a cool designed language by keeping the words used in the book, but he had to get hung up on TEN THOUSAND years, his immersion, and icky politics. Never mind the fact that the politics were kinda the whole point when Frank used those words.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its also his, like, 50th one, so it may just be him being a jobber for this one

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

frank's politics were liberal new left dreck AT BEST, at worst far more conservative and lacking a real grasp of the movements that surrounded him in day to day life. you can love the story he wrote and it's narrative details without being subservient to his underdeveloped position on mass politics, etc, and it's about time someone was able to adapt the best parts of his story into something that is interesting vis a vis contemporary life post cold war

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

frank's politics were liberal new left dreck AT BEST, at worst far more conservative and lacking a real grasp of the movements that surrounded him in day to day life. you can love the story he wrote and it's narrative details without being subservient to his underdeveloped position on mass politics, etc, and it's about time someone was able to adapt the best parts of his story into something that is interesting vis a vis contemporary life post cold war

Irrespective of the political views Herbert personally had/tried to show through the narrative, the real Arabic terms he used served both art and politics, and I hate how this was removed from the movie. I don't personally agree with the political ideas he tried to show through the book, but I agree with why he used actual Arabic.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
chakobsa is Space Chechen (compare to the real chakobsa, the Secret Noble Chechen - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chakobsa), and petersen did take a lotta stuff from chechen instead, is my understanding. so de-arabized but slightly-more-chechenified. the OG source was about chechnya, anyways, but too obscure for the western audience

edit: no he didnt lol. it did sound Caucasian to my ears but he didn't do any of that poo poo. absolute lol

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 2, 2024

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

In this respect, Heinlein and Herbert have a lot in common for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It will be nice if someone actually pulls that off, yes. Until then all we have is something that ends roughly as weirdly as Lynch's version while not actually saying anything new or interesting in favor of punting all of that to a possible Dune 3. I don't think there's anything wrong with changes and if Dune 3 pulls it off I might change my mind, but Dune 2 feels messy in a bad way. (TBH I think I liked Lynch's more in the long run, though Dune 2 is visually incredible of course.)

Honestly taking Dune 1 and 2 together, it feels like it runs into that problem where it wants to both be loyal and to deviate and it doesn't really commit well enough to either. There is stuff in Dune 1 which probably should have been cut and stuff in Dune 2 which feels underdeveloped, and I think if it had been willing to be less loyal to the book than it ended up being it could end up better.

I'm sure people would have been pissed at more Dune changes but honestly I'd much rather see something that is entirely its own story (Even if it uses the framing of Dune) vs the weird half-baked version we get now. Again, assuming WB doesn't derail it, I am sure Dune 3 will probably help a bit, but I'm not happy gambling of WB not loving up.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 3, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there is no colorable way in which this is worse than lynch dune

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there is no colorable way in which this is worse than lynch dune

For the most part i like the cast in Lynch's Dune more and I think the areas where it deviates in weird ways tended to be more interesting than the way Dune 2 deviated in weird ways. Obviously Dune 2 is bigger budget and has fantastic cinematography but I feel like 95% of what I really took from it was Ghedi Prime which is easily the highlight of the film (and honestly of any Dune adaptation.) It's not terrible or anything but maybe I was expecting too much, and I really do feel sour about how much it feels like it is punting things to the next movie.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I think lynch dune is important historically in terms of the visuals and design, which influenced science fiction cinema for decades, plus in terms of bringing awareness of the original books to a new generation, but it is absolutely awful as a film. it's simply not functional and no one making it cared anything for the story (least of all lynch).

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Gotta wait another week, my tickets turned out to be for yesterday but they thankfully gave me new ones.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

ImpAtom posted:

I think the areas where it deviates in weird ways tended to be more interesting than the way Dune 2 deviated in weird ways.

Rabban's crushed rat juice box

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
just came back from my (sadly non-imax) DUNCing

it's great, and the fact that it clearly sets up DUN3 gives the faithful hope for bijaz

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

kalel posted:

I think lynch dune is important historically in terms of the visuals and design, which influenced science fiction cinema for decades, plus in terms of bringing awareness of the original books to a new generation, but it is absolutely awful as a film. it's simply not functional and no one making it cared anything for the story (least of all lynch).

nobody is being forced to milk a cat, the knife guy was wearing armor and not a little blue codpiece, eyebrows at shockingly normal human lengths, not a single BDSM accordion.. wtf

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

wizard2 posted:

nobody is being forced to milk a cat, the knife guy was wearing armor and not a little blue codpiece, eyebrows at shockingly normal human lengths, not a single BDSM accordion.. wtf

We did get the Baron's floating dialysis spheres but that's too little, too late

Oh yeah, the costumes on the arena guys on Giedi Prime too

Not enough weird, true

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

wizard2 posted:

Tbf Lynch's Dune was a pioneer in weird scifi poo poo that is effectively peerless

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Vampire Panties posted:

Tbf Lynch's Dune was a pioneer in weird scifi poo poo that is effectively peerless

Also, getting onto the worm made way more sense in Lynch’s.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Fun movie. Really well paced till the end…yep that’s Dune for you. The production, art design and effects are great, script is a bit shaky, action scenes are largely kind of blah. Made worm riding look fun! Worthy heir to the first one, will probably watch in imax in a couple weeks when it’s less busy.

Things I would have liked to see but didn’t.

an establishing shot of Kaitain, which I don’t think is even named. I would have loved to see that the emperor’s garden is just one of zillions in a city-sized palace, or a floating island or something. Movie does a great job of suggesting planetary scope otherwise (the Fremen meeting cave, the Harkonnen arena) but the imperials remain on a very intimate scale, which is an interesting choice to say the least. But it goes against my selfish desires. It’s space opera, go for broke.

I also missed the spacing guild. Cool design for all of the ten seconds they showed up in the last movie, but not here at all I don’t think. I hope Part Three includes them since the navigator stuff is an important part of the conspiracy plot and you’d think the designs would be right up Villeneuve’s alley.

Thufir. I knew this would happen but still hurts.

Rabban’s just a dumb team-killing animal in this one, as opposed to the excellent scene in the book where his stay-at-home uncle treats him like a dumb animal while Rabban politely tries to tell him that the Fremen exist in vast numbers and are way more sophisticated and dangerous than the baron thinks.

No space bagpipes! Was hoping they’d kick in for Gurney killing Rabban :(

Ya hya chouhada. Whatever they replaced it with is completely forgettable soundwise.

It’s interesting that they let the Lady Fenring subplot play out since it had no further relevance in the books and the other half of it (the Count being a failed KH and his weird relationship with the emperor) isn’t present here. Only there for exposition? Just doing a favor to Lea Seydoux (she is great btw)? Or do they plan to have an OC Harkonnen heiress for Paul & Alia to play off of in 3?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Dune 2 disappointed. The excellent music of the first is totally absent. The writers strike really hosed this film and the fact that's its sequel bait for a third dune makes me angry.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Giedi Prime looks cool af, I'd watch a movie set there

Picturing Fremen arriving there being like, wow we probably can't gently caress this place up more than they already did, and ending up some weird cultural fusion down the line as backdrop for the obligatory noir murder mystery

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Dune 2 disappointed. The excellent music of the first is totally absent. The writers strike really hosed this film and the fact that's its sequel bait for a third dune makes me angry.

Iirc the movie was complete by the start of the strike, but was delayed because the cast and crew couldn't promote it during the strike. Happy to be proven wrong tho

E - https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-66615759

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

baffling set of words

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lol

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Tell me you haven't read the book without telling me you haven't read the book.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
wow much like the hobbit they are turning one book into 3 movies!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

wow much like the hobbit they are turning one book into 3 movies!

two, but go off king

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

YoursTruly posted:

Also, what was the point of attacking the spice harvester and getting shot at by a 'thopter, when they seemed to have had lasguns set up all around it already.

Even without the lasgun-shield interaction it made sense to me tactically. They probably have a lot more fremen than lasguns, and lasguns literally draw a line back to the firer. Split the 'thopters attention and take them out with MANPADs first so you don't immediately lose your lasguns to those insanely high ROF doorguns.

My one big problem with this adaptation of the PC game classic of the same name is I was hoping to see more of house Ordos.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 3, 2024

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.

skasion posted:

Things I would have liked to see but didn’t.

an establishing shot of Kaitain, which I don’t think is even named. I would have loved to see that the emperor’s garden is just one of zillions in a city-sized palace, or a floating island or something. Movie does a great job of suggesting planetary scope otherwise (the Fremen meeting cave, the Harkonnen arena) but the imperials remain on a very intimate scale, which is an interesting choice to say the least. But it goes against my selfish desires. It’s space opera, go for broke.

I actually really liked how the imperials are portrayed on such an intimate scale. It gave me some Ming Dynasty era Forbidden City vibes, where he's technically the ruler of the known universe but doesn't actually have any direct control over his subjects and relies on a network of spies to find out what's actually going on. (I'm not actually well versed in Chinese history, so maybe not the most accurate description.)

I think it's also interesting that Kaitan seems to be the only pleasant place to live in the universe, with all other planets looking miserable (Caladan was at least hospitable, but not pleasant.)

One thing I hope to see in a third film though is House Ordos, the greatest of Great Houses. With the House Corrino and House Harkonnen already subdued, the rest of the landsraad could coalesce around Ordos. Ordos brings Order, they'd say.

Most importantly though give me some chair dogs, Denis!

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Even without the lasgun-shield interaction it made sense to me tactically. They probably have a lot more fremen than lasguns, and lasguns literally draw a line back to the firer. Split the 'thopters attention and take them out with MANPADs first so you don't immediately lose your lasguns to those insanely high ROF doorguns.

Yeah that makes the most sense to me. Basically the attack fixed the harvester into position and distracted/destroyed the mobile elements that could have caught the lasgun teams. I just wish we saw some bulky lasguns being carried out and tediously set up, rather than just popping out instantly after the action.

Owlbear Camus posted:

My one big problem with this adaptation of the PC game classic of the same name is I was hoping to see more of house Ordos.

:yeah:

Less Is Definitely
Jan 10, 2012
Dune 2 disappointed. Was waiting for the scene in which Thufir has to milk a hairless cat, but it never came. :argh:

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Less Is Definitely posted:

Dune 2 disappointed. Was waiting for the scene in which Thufir has to milk a hairless cat, but it never came. :argh:

After getting milked, I'm sure it did.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Dune 2 disappointed. where was the Squood (living food)?

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
Dune 2 on imax, speechless

haven’t been more impressed with a film since twin towers battle scene however many years ago

the scale, the sound, the performances … we are truly blessed

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Unfortunately, I have it from a good source that DUN3 will be based entirely on just the appendices from Dune and will be written by the Star Trek: Discovery team

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

poo poo posts within poo poo posts...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Dune 2 disappointed. The excellent music of the first is totally absent.

The music in this one was just as forgettable as the last, memes notwithstanding. Zimmer made sure he got his money's worth across the two films with that one single vocal sample they licensed, though.