Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

soviet elsa posted:

Is it dumb to be dissappointed in new studio orks having the same paint job they've had for a while? The current scheme has them in some kind of sickly pale green instead of a deep, healthy goblin green glow. It just looks off to me.

It's the shadows, they're too blue. Needs more yellow imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Assessor of Maat posted:

lol "only" being as bad as the self image of the british empire is not something that becomes flattering by having even worse comparisons around. the point is clearly to make the reader wonder how big the gulf between the Tau's outward justifications and what they actually do is, and all the more because they're talking like some pommy bastard!
It actually does become flattering because the human race sucks so hard that the Tau are better than anything we ever were.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The yellower orks look better in terms of making their skin look fleshier.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

This looks like a better starter box than the combat patrol

But still looks kinda boring.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Lostconfused posted:

It looks like too many bikes.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Too many bikes is more fun than a lot of sisters IMO.

The bike also looks frikin cool and awesome and you should give it a sweet paintjob.

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Lostconfused posted:

Too many bikes is more fun than a lot of sisters IMO.

The bike also looks frikin cool and awesome and you should give it a sweet paintjob.

While I'm on a complaining about paint jobs spree, I used to hate the Custodes models until I saw them in real life. Specifically this woman had them painted oldhammer Bretonnia style where each dude had their own custom crazy paint scheme.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lostconfused posted:

That's cause they're Custards, OP

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I will certainly get that box. Jetbikes are cool. I already have three of them, and I'm a better painter and converter now, so maybe I can do something interesting with them.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The real question here for me though is, do I want a Stompa?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Lostconfused posted:

The real question here for me though is, do I want a Stompa?

Everyone wants a Stompa; at the very least to fill it with little wacky vignettes of grot orderlies running around the inside like a grown man-child Mighty Max/Polly Pocket toy

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ah the Leon Grotsky and his mobile command Stompa diorama, I get it.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Kinda hoping the Custodes get a bike detachment that lets them take more than 9 in an army. At the very least, bikes should go up to T7.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
I've had so many good games with my Astra Militarum lately, the Hellhound + Exterminator Autocannon + Fields of Fire Strat combination really supercharges Guard Shooting and I can realistically delete at least 2 elite or valuable units a turn if I find the correct firing lanes. Bullgryns also, insanely good for their cost. Having a blast the last few weeks, 5 wins in a row against people who have easily beaten me in the past.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

My current guard list, after I finally managed to get all the models is looking like

quote:

Imperium - Astra Militarum - Cadian Company - [1995pts]

# Army Roster [1995pts]

## Configuration
## Epic Hero [280pts]
Gaunt’s Ghosts [100pts]:
• 1x Ibram Gaunt: Bolt Pistol, Gaunt's Chainsword
• 1x Tanith Ghost w/ Bragg's autocannon: Bragg's autocannon, Straight Silver Knife
• 1x Tanith Ghost w/ Corbec's Hot-shot Lascarbine: Corbec's Hot-shot Lascarbine, Straight Silver Knife
• 1x Tanith Ghost w/ Larkin's Long-las: Larkin's Long-las, Straight Silver Knife
• 1x Tanith Ghost w/ Mkoll's Straight Silver Knife: Lascarbine, Mkoll's Straight Silver Knife
• 1x Tanith Ghost w/ Rawne's Lascarbine: Rawne's Lascarbine, Straight Silver Knife
Lord Solar Leontus [125pts]: Conquest, Konstrain's Hooves, Sol's Righteous Gaze, Warlord
Ursula Creed [55pts]: Duty and Vengeance, Power Weapon

## Character [305pts]
Cadian Command Squad [85pts]:
• 1x Cadian Commander [20pts]: Drill Commander, Plasma Pistol, Power Fist
• 1x Veteran Guardsman w/ Chainsword: Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, Plasma Gun
• 1x Veteran Guardsman w/ Master Vox: Close Combat Weapon, Lasgun, Master Vox
• 1x Veteran Guardsman w/ Medi-pack: Close Combat Weapon, Lasgun, Medi-pack
• 1x Veteran Guardsman w/ Regimental Standard: Close Combat Weapon, Laspistol, Regimental Standard and Lasgun, Lasgun, Regimental Standard
Tank Commander [220pts]: Armoured Tracks, Grand Strategist, Hunter-killer Missile, Demolisher Battle Cannon, Lascannon, Two Multi-meltas, 2x Multi-melta, Heavy Stubber

## Battleline [240pts]
Cadian Shock Troops [60pts]: 1 Shock Trooper Sergeant and 9 Shock Troopers
• 6x Shock Trooper: Close Combat Weapon, Lasgun
• 1x Shock Trooper Sergeant: Drum-fed Autogun and Close Combat Weapon, Close Combat Weapon, Drum-fed Autogun
• 1x Shock Trooper w/ Vox Caster: Close Combat Weapon, Lasgun, Vox-caster
• 1x Shock Trooper w/ Grenade Launcher: Close Combat Weapon, Grenade Launcher
• 1x Shock Trooper w/ Plasma Gun: Close Combat Weapon, Plasma Gun
3x Cadian Shock Troops [60pts]: 1 Shock Trooper Sergeant and 9 Shock Troopers
• 6x Shock Trooper: Close Combat Weapon, Lasgun
• 1x Shock Trooper Sergeant: Bolt Pistol and Chainsword, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword
• 1x Shock Trooper w/ Vox Caster: Close Combat Weapon, Lasgun, Vox-caster
• 1x Shock Trooper w/ Grenade Launcher: Close Combat Weapon, Grenade Launcher
• 1x Shock Trooper w/ Plasma Gun: Close Combat Weapon, Plasma Gun

## Infantry [320pts]
Field Ordnance Battery [120pts]:
• 2x Ordnance Teams: Battery Close Combat Weapons, Lasgun, Laspistol, Bombast Field Gun
2x Kasrkin [100pts]:
• 1x Kasrkin Sergeant: Power Weapon, Plasma Pistol
• 2x Kasrkin Trooper: Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot Lasgun
• 1x Kasrkin Trooper w/ Hot-shot Laspistol and Meltamine: Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot Laspistol, Melta mine
• 1x Kasrkin Trooper w/ Hot-shot Marksmen Rifle: Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot Marksmen Rifle
• 1x Kasrkin Trooper w/ Vox-caster: Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot lasgun, Vox-caster
• 2x Kasrkin Trooper w/ Hot-shot Volley Gun: Close Combat Weapon, Hot-shot Volley Gun
• 2x Kasrkin Trooper w/ Plasma Gun: Close Combat Weapon, Plasma Gun

## Vehicle [850pts]
2x Basilisk [135pts]: Armoured Tracks, Earthshaker Cannon, Hunter-killer Missile, Heavy Flamer
2x Rogal Dorn Battle Tank [260pts]: Armoured tracks, Heavy Stubber, 2 Meltaguns, 2x Meltagun, 2 Multi-meltas, 2x Multi-melta, Pulveriser Cannon, Oppressor Cannon and Co-axial Autocannon, Co-axial Autocannon, Oppressor Cannon
Scout Sentinels [60pts]:
• 1x Scout Sentinel [60pts]: Close Combat Weapon, Hunter-killer Missile, Sentinel Chainsaw, Plasma Cannon

But I haven't had a chance to get a 2000 point game yet. I do want to get some Ogryn sometime, but also thinking about getting like 20 Krieg to actually get combined part of the combined regiment into the list.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Lostconfused posted:

Jeez, even putting the new guy among other Custodes, he looks stumpy. I dunno if it's the pillar he's standing on, or the pose, but he just looks weird to me...

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Lostconfused posted:

My current guard list, after I finally managed to get all the models is looking like

But I haven't had a chance to get a 2000 point game yet. I do want to get some Ogryn sometime, but also thinking about getting like 20 Krieg to actually get combined part of the combined regiment into the list.

cool man! what's your loose gameplan?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Desfore posted:

Jeez, even putting the new guy among other Custodes, he looks stumpy. I dunno if it's the pillar he's standing on, or the pose, but he just looks weird to me...
Maybe Big E was experimenting with Squat DNA in his custodes with him.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Depends on the table, setup tanks along clear lines of sight. Put up infantry squads in front of them as screens. Kasrkin and Sentinel aggressively in front during deployment, use scout move to push up even further, aim to bring them back with the strat if anything. Lord Solar command blob holding one objective. Artillery to harass stuff that isn't in line of sight of the tanks. Dunno what I'm doing with Colonel-Comissar Gaunt, just hope I find something for him to do with the flexible movement. I have no idea if I want Ursula to be closer to the front or closer to the back, but I also have no idea what I'm doing either in general lol. I haven't played enough to get a feel for the game yet.

In the 1K game I played I got beat horribly trying to move all over the table, so now I feel like I should be more conservative and maybe aim for like 1 to 2 quarters of the table unless I get really lucky. Concentrate forces so that nobody is too far out to get picked off individually.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Lostconfused posted:

Sounds like you don't like 40mm bases.

I love 40mm bases actually, that's what I have all my various astartes (primaris & CSM) on them; there's so much room to add a lot of details instead of just plopping some texture paint on the bottom with a grass tuft and calling it a day. Instead I have space to add shattered bricks on top of layers of blown apart walls, I can put enemy bodies caught in barbed wire with their shredded remains being stepped over, and lots of other stuff. It's surprising how much of a difference it makes visually.

While I'm at it bump up the primaris Leviathan terminators to 50mm bases like the Acquilon terminators since the Acquilon are supposed to be wearing modified cataphractii armor. Same thing with Allarus, up that poo poo to 50mm instead of its 40mm.

And standardize every dreadnoughtish models bases FFS.

Super Waffle posted:

Base size isn't about lore accuracy or human vs. space marine, or even about combat role. Base size is a game mechanic stat just like wounds or toughness. A larger base is generally a disadvantage, as more enemy units can get into base to base combat with you, and can limit your movement options on tight boards. Larger bases can help balance a unit.

Considering how bad GW is at balancing stats no wonder it's all hosed up

Lostconfused posted:

Base size is closer to armor save.

3+ or lower and you get 32mm or higher base,
4+ or higher you get 28.5mm or lower base.

There are some weird outliers like Orks with 32mm bases and 5+ save or the larger based Tyranids not getting high armor saves either.

That's a lot of outliers tbh

Idk it's just all over the place and it's rubbing my 'tism the wrong way. I'm still undecided on what to do though :(

Anyway rant over moving on.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

New ork looks great except for the concentration face, but he comes with another head so hopefully it's more fitting.

That new custodes is awful though. He's too squat, and it looks like Blizzard™ came in gave him the World of Warcraft treatment.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The Demilich posted:

That's a lot of outliers tbh

It's a lot because armies are internally consistent.

Guard are on 28.5, Orks on 32, Custodes on 40

I'm a little bit surprised that Sisters are 32mm and 25mm, I thought they'd also switch over to 28

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lostconfused posted:

I'm a little bit surprised that Sisters are 32mm and 25mm, I thought they'd also switch over to 28
I think the Seraphim are the ones on 25 so that may be a factor, since diegetically they're moving in the third dimension. And the Penitent having a warjack-rear end base makes sense, as it is, basically, a warjack - I actually think I had that one.

The repentia are on 28 other than the Superior who is on 32. Are their armor saves and such comparable to Marines? I understand they're in basically ladies-size versions of Space Marine armor, it just doesn't give them as many powers because they don't have gene seed, just their fanatical love of his emperorness.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I thought guard infantry are all on 25mm bases, except characters and command squads which are mostly on 28mm.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

The Demilich posted:

That new custodes is awful though. He's too squat, and it looks like Blizzard™ came in gave him the World of Warcraft treatment.

Yep. I was trying to figure out what the deal was and this is it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Demilich posted:

New ork looks great except for the concentration face, but he comes with another head so hopefully it's more fitting.

I think it’s the shoulders. They make him look like a Squat. I don’t know how it made it past the planning stage.

Goose Gnome looks amazing. Want those animals.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Virtual Russian posted:

I thought guard infantry are all on 25mm bases, except characters and command squads which are mostly on 28mm.

Scions, Kasrkin, and character squads like ghosts are all 28mm too.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Professor Shark posted:

Goose Gnome looks amazing. Want those animals.

Untitled Goose Gnome, a mix I never knew I wanted.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The closest comparison is the blade champion, they have a lot of the same design elements

Athas posted:

New Shield Captain for Adeptus Custodes.

I'm going to say he looks squad because the shoulders and or upper arms are too thick. Maybe he'd look better if the arms were a bit more tucked in like the bladechamp.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Lostconfused posted:

The closest comparison is the blade champion, they have a lot of the same design elements

Anyone know a good guide to paint swords like this? Expect it's glazes and building up to the highlight but pointers on making the pattern look right would be good?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lostconfused posted:

Sisters in power armour are on 32s. Characters on 40s. Unarmoured ladies are 28. Old poo poo that hasn't gotten updated (Arcos, Crusaders, DCAs) are still on 25s.

Cultists are staying on 25s but aside from them there's a consistent theme of every smaller than space marine infantry being moved to 28 by default. New Guardians are on 28s and repackaged 9th edition Dire Avengers are also on 28s now. Howling Banshees, Rangers, Dark Reapers and Corsairs also got put on 28 with their new kits.

Votann are on 32s cause they're wide.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wahapedia says Votann are on 28 and characters on 40.

Edit: Which surprised me, I thought they were all in power armor, but I guess not.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Woops you're right, I was thinking of Hearthguard and Thunderkyn.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

I'm going to say he looks squad because the shoulders and or upper arms are too thick. Maybe he'd look better if the arms were a bit more tucked in like the bladechamp.

Hopefully one of the many figs that look better in person

E: The shield-captain I mean, obv the Blade Champ is amazing

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 3, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's also a crime that everyone uses the ugly helmeted head instead of one of the sets with beautiful flowing locks of hair.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Lostconfused posted:

It's also a crime that everyone uses the ugly helmeted head instead of one of the sets with beautiful flowing locks of hair.

Space dollies should wear their space helmets :colbert:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Blooded are all on 25mm bases

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

This set comprises 151 plastic components and is supplied with 10x Citadel 25mm Round Base, 1x Citadel 32mm Round Base, and 1x Citadel 40mm Round Base. These miniatures are supplied unpainted and require assembly – we recommend using Citadel Plastic Glue and Citadel Colour paints.

Same base sizes as regular guard. Except for the 32mm, which is a bit unusual but still exists in some characters like Sly.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
It def grinds my gears that one Jakhal has a larger base than all of the others, or that the Bloodletter characters are on larger bases than the unit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

smug jeebus posted:

It def grinds my gears that one Jakhal has a larger base than all of the others, or that the Bloodletter characters are on larger bases than the unit

The BT Primaris Crusader Squad contains three different base sizes.