Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Good lord the moogles are nightmarish.

Also lol at the game engine letting you push objects all over the place, which seems to serve no purpose beyond totally wrecking the poo poo out of every shop / home I step foot in, sending tables and chairs flying into the stratosphere.

10/10, GOTY so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Frankston posted:

Lol how in the loving hell are you supposed to 'Prevent enemies from taking flight when using Soothing Breeze'. poo poo is impossible.

Edit: complaining about it on the internet did the trick

That one was extremely annoying, the other one was another bird one nearby that was impossible to stagger. Kept killing the stupid thing before I could get it. Pretty sure I got lucky and staggered right before the final blow

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Gologle posted:

Not only are we going to fight them, but it will be revealed that they were the original heroes who sealed away Jenova

No, that was Fat Chocobo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume the KotR boss fight will basically be a hyped-up version of the one in FFXV, with a lot of adds coming in alongside one big beefy main.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is all this Junon Republic stuff new for Rebirth? I don’t think I remember hearing about it before

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is all this Junon Republic stuff new for Rebirth? I don’t think I remember hearing about it before

It's largely new. It was introduced in some EU stuff that came out a bit ago but it's pretty much entirely new worldbuilding.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The Republic of Junon seems almost like a precursor race of aliens with hypertechnology given their ability to make things that still work after a few decades without maintenance (although obviously it's mostly just that Shinra's technology is amazingly wasteful and lovely).

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Just doing Chocobo racing in the saucer and while I was conflicted I think I like Elena's transformation in lnto just the worst new coworker. Karma at work, Rude.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly Shinra is more impressive in how much poo poo they pulled off in such an incredibly short period of time. They managed to create a cyberpunk dystopia in like what 30 years tops?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Significant mid-Junon spoiler:

“guys im having second thoughts about this plan :(“ - Aerith, forced to do the parade minigame

:allears:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, I have such a hard time picking up on the attack animations of non-humanoid enemies. Just got to the boss from the second part of the demo, and even when I was directly keeping an eye out for its attacks, I still couldn't react fast enough to hit block. But I can't just sit there blocking either, since I need to build ATB.

Speaking of that boss, is there any way to avoid the bubbles? Blocking doesn't work; I tried blocking when one hit me and it still put me in a bubble.

I stumbled into that fight without any Thunder materia on my party. If I had any (especially on Aerith, who was in my party at the time) it may have been possible to stagger the boss faster, since the longer you go the more you're worn down (and you need to use a significant portion of your ATB bars on freeing party members from bubbles, since normal attacks don't really cut it unless you want to sit there wailing on the bubble for like 20 seconds).

I ended up winning on the first try, but I'm only playing on Normal and it was a very bad-feeling win where I just kind of stumbled around desperately healing and occasionally doing an attack.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Also lol at the game engine letting you push objects all over the place, which seems to serve no purpose beyond totally wrecking the poo poo out of every shop / home I step foot in, sending tables and chairs flying into the stratosphere.

I like how loud random barrels and stuff are. Like I'll be running through an area and suddenly hear this loud cacophony behind me, and it's my party running into barrels.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 3, 2024

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh my god, Junon.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Rhonne posted:

End of Junon spoiler: There's something really funny about seeing these black robes waiting in line to get on a cruise ship with normal people. How are they getting by security!? How did they pass the background checks?

i believe you actually see security check their details and wave one through lmao

the fact that they all wind up locked in one room before the attack probably confirms it was hojo rather than shinra incompetence, but i loved that moment

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The 2nd half of Chapter 11 is loving horrible. I never want to have to repeat this part again.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I said come in! posted:

The 2nd half of Chapter 11 is loving horrible. I never want to have to repeat this part again.

--the CEO of Bed, Bath, and Beyond

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The scoring on the Piano is loving insanity.

I got 80 great, 50 good, 4 misses 0 Bad.

Baby that's a B+. That's a B at worst. Lets just call it an A.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 3, 2024

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Pollyanna posted:

Oh my god, Junon.

Came here to post I just found the bald headed club and it's now one of the funniest moments I've seen in a video game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The scoring on the Piano is loving insanity.

I got 80 great, 50 good, 4 misses 0 Bad.

Baby that's a B+. That's a B at worst. Lets just call it an A.

The Piano scoring is weirdly much tighter than basically anything else in the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel like some of the mini games need big adjustments for difficulty, or to have their own difficulty settings. I have big time skill issues, and so struggle with some of these. The piano game feels impossible to me.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Just finished Gold Saucer, FF7 showmen are so loving fabulous, I cannot handle it.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the little fps minigame in costa del sol not letting you invert the camera options is criminal

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
What do you get for completing the fiend battle optional objectives?

e: Oh, I think it gives you slightly more party points.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 3, 2024

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

you get more charley points to spend on materia

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ytlaya posted:

Man, I have such a hard time picking up on the attack animations of non-humanoid enemies. Just got to the boss from the second part of the demo, and even when I was directly keeping an eye out for its attacks, I still couldn't react fast enough to hit block. But I can't just sit there blocking either, since I need to build ATB.

Speaking of that boss, is there any way to avoid the bubbles? Blocking doesn't work; I tried blocking when one hit me and it still put me in a bubble.

I stumbled into that fight without any Thunder materia on my party. If I had any (especially on Aerith, who was in my party at the time) it may have been possible to stagger the boss faster, since the longer you go the more you're worn down (and you need to use a significant portion of your ATB bars on freeing party members from bubbles, since normal attacks don't really cut it unless you want to sit there wailing on the bubble for like 20 seconds).

I ended up winning on the first try, but I'm only playing on Normal and it was a very bad-feeling win where I just kind of stumbled around desperately healing and occasionally doing an attack.

Just can dodge the bubbles if you time it right, I managed it like twice...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm not enjoying all the wandering around for more banal chadley phone calls at all.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m comparing my current playtime to where I would normally be in a run of FF7 by now and oh god.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Really loved the first game, but having a hard time getting into this one. it's a lot of Ubisoft open world bullshit with little to no dialogue. I liked the the more focused pacing in the remake and never felt it was plodding like others. People who thoughts there was filler in that game are gonna be shook with this one

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pollyanna posted:

I’m comparing my current playtime to where I would normally be in a run of FF7 by now and oh god.

I’m at 19 hours and just got to Junon proper lol.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thundercracker posted:

Okay, Queen's Blood is the most impressive card game for FF since Triple Triad. There's a lot more granularity this time with balancing cost, board control, and special abilities. The card's with great abilities either have wonky tile effects or hard to cast.

I have beaten 8 opponents and I am still waiting for there to be a strategy that's better than "take as many tiles as possible" lol, any time I try to do something with cards that do other things besides that it hasn't worked lol

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have beaten 8 opponents and I am still waiting for there to be a strategy that's better than "take as many tiles as possible" lol, any time I try to do something with cards that do other things besides that it hasn't worked lol

This was me right up until I bought all the cards sold as prizes at the Gold Saucer. This finally brought me around to having just a few buffs, as a treat.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I love game

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I hate game. Queen’s Blood, specifically. Deck building, even more specifically. I can’t play or put together an effective deck to save my life :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I hate game. Queen’s Blood, specifically. Deck building, even more specifically. I can’t play or put together an effective deck to save my life :(

If it helps there's an option to make pre-built decks in the deck creation screen. They're not going to be super ultimate optimal decks but they can do okay for stuff that isn't super gimmicky. As mentioned you can win a lot of early games just by rushing to claim enemy zones.

Beyond that the game starts you off with a lot of strong cards that contribute to buff decks so it's pretty easy to make a deck just built around cards buffing the poo poo out of each other (with Choco/Mog being an absurdly good card for this) and then gradually slotting in new cards that are better than old cards in terms of coverage or boosts.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Oh man I found the 1/35th Soldiers :allears:

There’s only 19 of them :argh:

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
how much better is the combat in this compared to the first?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mt Corel:
Something cute I noticed is that Yuffie's chalk drawings show a mini story arc of Yuffie and Barrett bickering with each other, Tifa stepping in and lecturing Barrett, Barrett sulking, and then the three of them making up and climbing the mountain together.
lol @ Aerith getting delirious from the adrenaline high of mountain climbing
also lol @ "shitbirds". I'm glad they made Elena into a jackass like the rest of the turks instead of being the boring level-headed girl.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I've found the pre-built Midgardsomr deck works pretty well with a few adjustments

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

OMG I have discovered (JUNON REGION) the Fort Condor setup and GOTY, calling it now. Also lol that there are two games with mystical cosmic powers? At this point maybe there are more lol

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Vitamean posted:

the little fps minigame in costa del sol not letting you invert the camera options is criminal

i just finished this and i am going to be very angry if time materia is for sale at the next shop

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This game has somehow turned Red XIII into one of the best characters in the entire series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Yuffie is the best character in the game which completely validates my using her during the OG as a child