Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I voted in Dunkley. Glad my little bit helped. (although it was a postal vote, sent off in the mail on Monday from a small post office in rural Hokkaido. So it probably hasn't even arrived yet.)

YAY me!

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

boggles the mind how, in Victoria specifically, all new buildings are some kind of poo poo since the mid 90s lol

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Dunk Ley
Dunk on Ley

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

Dunk Ley
Dunk on Ley

get dunkley’d on

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Animal Friend posted:

boggles the mind how, in Victoria specifically, all new buildings are some kind of poo poo since the mid 90s lol

That’s when builders could self regulate.

It was supposed to cut red tape and making building quicker and cheaper.

It did not.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
bucky bikes have their place and its not during massive events, thats what trains are for.

bikes can certainly get you to a train station but where are you gonna store 20k bikes at a stadium

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Spookydonut posted:

bucky bikes have their place and its not during massive events, thats what trains are for.

bikes can certainly get you to a train station but where are you gonna store 20k bikes at a stadium

melbourne solved this, it's what the yarra is for

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

You can keep your trains. I'm saying we can and should diversify the mix.

There's plenty of space to park. Can fit 10 bikes in a single car space for christ's sake. And we can happily cross the bridge of 20k bikes once we get past 1k.

But a 5-minute shuttle from Newington Wharf up Jameison and Holker would work as well. They already have to do shuttles from the various car parks.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Because it’s way nicer, healthier, cheaper, quieter, better for the environment, better for the rest of the public, and depending on the destination, often quicker. The river is beautiful. Instead of standing in a boring stinky queue for 45 minutes to get a crowded bus or a train underground for another half hour at least and then having to drive home from the station, you can be out under the stars enjoying an evening cruise, while making the queue shorter for everyone else. Why on earth would you not include that option in the transport mix for a major events precinct.

Because with three train lines who the hell wants to ride home? More to the point *how the absolute gently caress do you think there will be anything close to the capacity to move everyone by ferry*??!?! Spoiler alert, you dont. Not even close.

quote:

It’s such a depressingly white-colonialist mindset. Why would I use my legs, and the water that we have been naturally provided with, when I can just bulldoze the land and lay some tracks for a giant metal cage instead?

Yes, why exactly walk when the *underground* trains are there like the present tunneling for the Metro and the existing Olympic Park that pops out on what was existing line?

quote:

There is an existing wharf at Wentworth Point, not Rhodes. It’s called Olympic Park, but it’s further from the stadium than the Newington Wharf is. (3.5 km vs 2.7 Km). It’s a concrete slab, and the route is nowhere near as nice.

Nah, it's def closer and it's close to Rhodes so I'm calling it Rhodes because .... oh wait Rhodes is an existing heavy rail station why am I taking the ferry at 10pm, likely in the cold and possibly rain again?

quote:

It’s not too shallow for ferries to pass at low tide, but yes, I am proposing a new wharf. A great way to preserve heritage is to keep using it as originally intended. It will cost a fraction of a single meter of tunnel and light rail track, inconvenience exactly zero people during its construction, and serve the vast majority of people who don’t live within walking distance of the stage 2 route.

You completely ignored the comment about the NEWINGTON side being out of the water at low tide. Just like you ignore any other real issues. Goodluck getting the DA approved for a heritage site that is under active process of being rewilded as a sensitive wetland area anyway

The reason why no one takes you seriously is that your "proposals" do not stand even five seconds of honest appraisal.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Even after Sussan Ley and the Not-A-Monster Peter Dutton choice of a xenophobia platform over, oh I don't know, anything else? Dumb bigoted fucks.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Spookydonut posted:

where are you gonna store 20k bikes at a stadium

in the middle silly

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Because with three train lines who the hell wants to ride home? More to the point *how the absolute gently caress do you think there will be anything close to the capacity to move everyone by ferry*??!?! Spoiler alert, you dont. Not even close.

Yes, why exactly walk when the *underground* trains are there like the present tunneling for the Metro and the existing Olympic Park that pops out on what was existing line?

Nah, it's def closer and it's close to Rhodes so I'm calling it Rhodes because .... oh wait Rhodes is an existing heavy rail station why am I taking the ferry at 10pm, likely in the cold and possibly rain again?

You completely ignored the comment about the NEWINGTON side being out of the water at low tide. Just like you ignore any other real issues. Goodluck getting the DA approved for a heritage site that is under active process of being rewilded as a sensitive wetland area anyway

The reason why no one takes you seriously is that your "proposals" do not stand even five seconds of honest appraisal.

There are vast swathes of people who don't live on the train lines who might want to ride / ferry home.

I never said to move *everyone* by ferry. I'm saying move the few thousand for whom it's suitable. Take them down the city, they'd beat the train every time. Take them to Manly and Rose Bay. People literally choose not to go to events at homebush because getting there sucks so much. And people leave the event 15 minutes early to avoid the massive crowds that swarm the station when it ends. Stop trying to pretend that the current situation is satisfactory.

Check again, it's def not closer. Just look at a map.

It was used to transport ammunition throughout the wars, and as a ferry wharf in 2015. If it needs some extra dredging now then fine, still less impactful than all the other options.

And, wharves and ferries aside, if we just don't lock that loving gate at 5 pm, then we connect the stadium to the parramatta river cycleway, with a beautiful 3 km ride through parkland, instead of a 8 km slog through Rhodes and Meadowbank.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

I never said to move *everyone* by ferry. I'm saying move the few thousand for whom it's suitable. Take them down the city, they'd beat the train every time.

Have you actually looked at a timetable or are you just pulling bullshit out of your arse?

This isn't even getting into the capacity differences.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

At this point I'm not even sure Bucky knows what a train is.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Have you actually looked at a timetable or are you just pulling bullshit out of your arse?

Rivercats cruise at about 33 km/hr, and it's 15 km from Newington to the Opera House.

Trip Planner says it's over 30 minutes by train to Central, and I know it took longer than that after Big Day Out.

But sure, it's close and maybe there's too many variables involved, so strike that one if you like.

If we're talking about Kirribilli / Taronga / Rose Bay / Manly, and not just a race to the Quay, then it's obviously no contest.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Spookydonut posted:

In the perimeter octagon, beyond the runways.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
bikey fuckminster

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Rivercats cruise at about 33 km/hr, and it's 15 km from Newington to the Opera House.

Trip Planner says it's over 30 minutes by train to Central, and I know it took longer than that after Big Day Out.

But sure, it's close and maybe there's too many variables involved, so strike that one if you like.

If we're talking about Kirribilli / Taronga / Rose Bay / Manly, and not just a race to the Quay, then it's obviously no contest.

Those ferries are taking up space that could be used by a less polluting and more flexible form of transport

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Whatever happened to the Multi-Function Polis that the Japanese were going to build for us back in the 80s/90s?

Arcologies now!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There are direct trains between Central and Olympic Park during big events with very limited stops every couple of minutes that use the Interstate platforms at Central to do turn backs, thence for say the Easter Show - you go to Central and get the express to Olympic Park. There is also the shuttle service to Lidcombe but there is zero way a ferry is beating a train to the CBD....... yeah, he's just pulling it out of his rear end without knowing what's availible.

Also a bunch of trains also make additional stops at Lidcome during major events so you can link with T1, T3 and T2

Speaking of capacity differences, the RiverCats don't have the multi gangplanks of say the Manly Ferries and they are also narrow (Yeah they are kinda a prick to get bikes on and off with), sooooooo getting people on and off tends to take a while. Trains at Olympic Park unload on one side and load on the other meaning the train dwell time is low.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Dunkley bikelection

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo TOWNS OF AUSTRALIA

POWER RANKINGS 3/3/24

1. Geelong, VIC - Woman sleeps next to brother’s body for up to 5 years in rat-infested and rubbish-strewn house
2. Mackay, QLD - Pervert avoids conviction after sending video of himself rooting a dog to random teen
3. Sarina, QLD - Pest charged after allegedly knowingly spreading his STI all over Queensland
4. Mandurah, WA - Resident shoots naked home invader hiding in wardrobe
5. Townsville, QLD - Gronk arrested after getting bogged in stolen car before climbing onto roof of building and throwing broken glass at cops; swim school trashed by feral youths in back-to-back break-ins; drongo hurls e-scooter at car because post office staff took too long to serve him
6. Mornington, VIC - Man with crossbow arrested after siege; creep seen wanking on public beach
7. Wollongong, NSW - Arrestee caught with loaded gun and meth in his undies
8. Alice Springs, NT - Gronk arrested after allegedly breaking into hospital
9. Cohuna, VIC - Weirdos accused of killing 5 galahs to eat
10. Port Pirie, SA - Still poo poo

In other news, I caught ABC's coverage of the Mardi Gras last night. Commentary was shite (Courtney Act needed a good slapping) but I did see people I know from my town and Facebook in float sections, from the 78ers and my local Pride committee.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah but if you look at the proposed wharf it's got 5 boats lined up ready to go, and another 3 ready and waiting to pull in.

Even if the actual travel time does take a bit longer, the total trip, including wait times, would be infinitely more pleasurable you weirdo.

Like I said, it's not for everyone, it's an option for those who want it. People can still get the train, it's just madness to go out of our way to deny people the freedom to arrive by bike and/or boat. We have the incredibly beautiful approach from the north, along the river front and through the parklands, and we literally lock it off, giving people the fantastically fun way of ending the evening by trying to get a train bus or car home instead. People were still queuing to get out of the carparks after midnight.

Cat: "No! How dare you suggest we offer any alternatives!"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

GrandTheftAutism posted:

1. Geelong, VIC - Woman sleeps next to brother’s body for up to 5 years in rat-infested and rubbish-strewn house

This is unbelievably sad

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Like I said, it's not for everyone, it's an option for those who want it.
Unfortunately your posting is not optional for everyone.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

GrandTheftAutism posted:

(Courtney Act needed a good slapping)

I didn't watch, what happened?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

There are vast swathes of people who don't live on the train lines who might want to ride / ferry home.

I never said to move *everyone* by ferry. I'm saying move the few thousand for whom it's suitable. Take them down the city, they'd beat the train every time. Take them to Manly and Rose Bay. People literally choose not to go to events at homebush because getting there sucks so much. And people leave the event 15 minutes early to avoid the massive crowds that swarm the station when it ends. Stop trying to pretend that the current situation is satisfactory.

My dude

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

GrandTheftAutism posted:

poo poo TOWNS OF AUSTRALIA

POWER RANKINGS 3/3/24

My first thought was "Corio or Norlane?" Turns out it was option C, Newtown.

The quiet rundown shithole Geelong residents try to forget.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Yes my dude what’s up

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i hope you cited betoota properly in your slide pack

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I didn't watch, what happened?

Constantly talking shite with her co-hosts instead of announcing/back-announcing the floats properly. My people didn't even get a mention.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Still genuinely curious as to what the point was supposed to be here

hambeet posted:

i hope you cited betoota properly in your slide pack

Current access to Olympic Park sucks so much that many people refer to it as a "cunnovajoint" and simply choose not to go (Overell et al, 2021)

Seriously though there are so many great under-used small-to-mid sized venues there.

And shout out the super-cool Charles Moses Stadium. Like a mini Roman colosseum.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

My first thought was "Corio or Norlane?" Turns out it was option C, Newtown.

The quiet rundown shithole Geelong residents try to forget.

For anyone curious but not curious enough to google it - the woman was in her 70s and it appears to be a hoarder house situation.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

froglet posted:

hoarder house situation.

That was already what I assumed

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Brain tumour patient had Centrelink payments suspended while in hospital recovering from surgery

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ndroidApp_Other

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Anidav posted:

Brain tumour patient had Centrelink payments suspended while in hospital recovering from surgery

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ndroidApp_Other

Oh, great. Won't be long til the government starts telling people in comas that they're fine to work.

(... Nobody tell me that has already happened :ohdear:)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

froglet posted:

For anyone curious but not curious enough to google it - the woman was in her 70s and it appears to be a hoarder house situation.

Geelong hides a lot of sad secrets and hoarders are always a tragedy.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
12 months ago the report into Robodebt dropped. It recommended civil and criminal prosecutions (in a sealed chapter). So far Mike Pezzullo (Home Affairs Secretary and chum of Dutton) has been dissmissed. He still retains his AO. Kathryn Campbell resigned from her new job at Defence for $900,000 PA overseeing the AUKUS deal. She still retains her honours (AO and Bar). That's it. There was a public apology from parliament (That 51 LNP members voted against) and much hand wringing but so far after 12 months and a sea of pain we have two clowns lightly bitch slapped.

If that doesn't make you shake with rage, please read the source documents below.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-08/public-servants-breached-aps-code-of-conduct-robodebt/103444124
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-13/government-formally-responds-to-robodebt-royal-commission/103097888
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-07-24/kathryn-campbell-resigns-from-defence-department-after-robodebt/102641370
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-07-20/kathryn-campbell-suspended-without-pay-over-robodebt/102623918
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-10/federal-parliament-apologises-to-robodebt-victims/102707908
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-07-26/robodebt-behavioural-science-shaped-decisions/102645522
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-07-07/robodebt-royal-commission-findings-revealed/102531450
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathryn_Campbell
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Pezzullo

Only one more square on BUCKY BINGO! :pray:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Drumgold succrssfully has challenged the findings from the Sofronoff inquiry.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-04/former-act-dpp-shane-drumgold-challenges-inquiry-findings/103542010

What a loving mess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1764395564198682816

what beach did Holt go missing at? lets take him there