Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Phenotype posted:

So hey, for the serial killer goons out there, how awful is it to die from being boiled?

Do lobsters die instantly when they get thrown in the pot or is it horrible for them too? :ohdear:

Well the pirate was thrown in water that wasn't boiling, i'd assume it takes a good while to boil a 500 liter(?) cauldron. So he was boiled like a frog, not a lobstah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Boiling criminals alive was very much a thing in Japan at that time

p. hosed up

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012

That's not even the only famous instance of it; Takeda Shingen, often held up as something of a paragon of what a daimyo should be and who tried to frame himself as a benevolent protector in his opposition to Oda Nobunaga (which led to Nobunaga famously signing a letter in response as Dairokuten Maou, the Demon King of the Sixth Heaven, a title normally reserved for Mara, the nearest equivalent to Satan in Buddhism), was noted in some sources to boil prisoners alive, with his armies setting up cauldrons along the perimeter of their camps specifically for that purpose.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Everyone boiled people alive back then, cmon.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
boiling a criminal rn; i don't get what the big deal is

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
show goon

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

"Another name for a TVIV poster."

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I actually found my parents' 1975 paperback copy that I read in high school, which somehow hasn't completely disintegrated yet. Goddamn this thing was a tome.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It sure was. I dropped mine on my foot when I was about eleven. It landed spine-first and I thought it had broken a toe for a minute.

I also seem to remember its pages were, like the really thin kind of paper? I guess because it was nearly 1200 pages and they had no choice but to use thinner paper to keep costs down or something?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
lol my folks had that same one

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Not really sold on Cosmo Jarvis' performance in this. Everybody else is great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I have the same one sitting on my bookshelf right now, yep :)

Picked it and the rest of the series up for super cheap at a book fair years ago, an incredible deal - they're tattered and the spines are sun faded but all the pages are in there and that is what matters!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Aurubin posted:

I really like it but acknowledge that it's a walmart version of Tom Hardy

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Aurubin posted:

I was a bit sceptical at first but he kills it in the garden scene. I think Cosmo Jarvis does a lot better when he doesn’t need to be in complete “what the gently caress I have no idea what’s going on” mode which is most of the first 2 episodes. Blackthorne is clever, opportunistic and ruthless and once you get him taking in everything about his surroundings and thinking on his feet Jarvis shines a lot more.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
I like his voice, it's got some gravel to it

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I love our we-have-Tom-Hardy-at-home and I don't care what anyone says.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I like his voice, it's got some gravel to it

People are saying it's Tom Hardy-ish, but honestly he sounds a lot like Richard Chamberlain from time to time, usually when he's shouting poo poo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I didn’t like the Blackthorne performance to start with but it’s growing on me. Initially he just seemed arrogant to the point of being annoying, but he eventually gets the opportunity to show his cleverness.

I’ve never seen Taboo but he visually reminds me a bit of Rick from TWD (I’ve only seen s1).

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

nine-gear crow posted:

People are saying it's Tom Hardy-ish, but honestly he sounds a lot like Richard Chamberlain from time to time, usually when he's shouting poo poo.

Doesn't sound anything like Tom Hardy, he's just got a low rumble voice, but he can project like a theater actor

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Liking this a lot so far. Between this, Masters of the Air, and the new Dune there's a lot of entertaining epic dramas out right now.

I'm already into the politicking, but I have a question about something that didn't make sense to me in ep 2. In the meeting of the regents to vote on impeaching Toranaga, the Christian regents demand that Blackthorne be executed before they vote, but Ishido hesitates. Why? Executing him would be an easy way to get the Christian regents on his side, and he hasn't yet been informed by Yabushige about the prospect of using Blackthorne to his advantage, so what's his motivation for hesitating to acquiesce to their demand?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
It didn't seem like much resistance tbh? He mostly seemed annoyed that they were delaying the end of Toranaga by leveraging it to obtain some minor side demands and pushed back a bit but ultimately he approved the execution after the meeting as he tells Yabu. And I don't see the Christian regents ever caring much about Ishido unless he converts

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Because once Toranga is dead the Christian regents will turn on him and he would lose. Ishido makes lots of noise about Toranaga wanting the Shogunate and he must be opposed by the regents (with him leading them), he's more useful alive to Ishido for that reason.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MeinPanzer posted:

Liking this a lot so far. Between this, Masters of the Air, and the new Dune there's a lot of entertaining epic dramas out right now.

I'm already into the politicking, but I have a question about something that didn't make sense to me in ep 2. In the meeting of the regents to vote on impeaching Toranaga, the Christian regents demand that Blackthorne be executed before they vote, but Ishido hesitates. Why? Executing him would be an easy way to get the Christian regents on his side, and he hasn't yet been informed by Yabushige about the prospect of using Blackthorne to his advantage, so what's his motivation for hesitating to acquiesce to their demand?

My take was that Ishido felt like he was being scammed. Specifically they had all worked together to put Toranaga into a position where they could vote him out, and now they're withholding their votes at the critical last second over some rando barbarian, so he wanted more time to investigate.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Ishido and Toranaga are significantly stronger and more influential than the other three, but the advantage the smaller Christian daimyos have is that they are favored by the Portuguese and control trade with them. Ishido is working with them for now to try and remove his chief rival, but he knows if Toranaga is gone that the other three (maybe with the backing of Portugal) would probably try to gang up on him. The fact that they want this one specific barbarian dead is making him wonder what's so important about him to the Christians. Why is executing one random barbarian who showed up last week more important to them than their long-running plan to remove Toranaga? The other thing is that while Ishido does want Toranaga gone, he doesn't seem to actually want him gone right this second. He wants to remove Toranaga from a position of power but not actually destroy him until he (Ishido) has consolidated enough power that he could resist the other three ganging up on him.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Why did Ishido try to push for the vote? Wouldn't that result in Toranaga's death, which would hasten his own downfall when the others then gang up on him?

I would expect him to keep finding excuses to put off the vote.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
My interpretation is that the vote gives them the authority to impeach, but I don't know that they are required to immediately have him executed. There have been a few examples so far of administrative power being quite flexible in terms of how it's used. The Jesuit priest gave a great example when he stated his fear that Toranaga would insist on a complete translation of the captain's journal, with the implication being that he could stretch that process out as long as he wanted or needed to.

I'm guessing this is another example of that. Once the impeachment vote is decided, then Toranaga's fate is sealed, but Ishido would probably have some discretion on the timeline.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Phenotype posted:

So hey, for the serial killer goons out there, how awful is it to die from being boiled?

Do lobsters die instantly when they get thrown in the pot or is it horrible for them too? :ohdear:

My understanding is that lobsters are more like bugs where their nervous systems aren't really developed enough to feel what we would call "pain."

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

muscles like this! posted:

My understanding is that lobsters are more like bugs where their nervous systems aren't really developed enough to feel what we would call "pain."

don't know about those cold water lobsters, but in the tropics we put crayfish on ice or in a saltwater and ice slurry. They go to sleep right quick and eventually die from it. Then you chop them, pull them apart or boil them. If you do it with crabs they don't throw their claws and legs from the shock of the boiling water.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

muscles like this! posted:

All you have to do is watch the videos of people keeping lobsters or crabs as pets and you will see that they have personalities. They don't have advanced intelligence, but there is thought in their tiny brains and they don't deserve to be boiled alive without being knocked out or killed first.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Cojawfee posted:

All you have to do is watch the videos of people keeping lobsters or crabs as pets and you will see that they have personalities. They don't have advanced intelligence, but there is thought in their tiny brains and they don't deserve to be boiled alive without being knocked out or killed first.

They probably should of evolved to something less delicious then

Stegosnaurlax fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 4, 2024

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stegosnaurlax posted:

don't know about those cold water lobsters, but in the tropics we put crayfish on ice or in a saltwater and ice slurry. They go to sleep right quick and eventually die from it. Then you chop them, pull them apart or boil them. If you do it with crabs they don't throw their claws and legs from the shock of the boiling water.

I think a good rule of thumb is to not cook things that are alive.
Anyways, I like that Hawthorne is a bit of an idiot and is unable to chill out about catholics for even one second. It was also kinda funny how Rodrigues pretended to be his friend and then suddenly revealed that he knew all about him and were gonna tell the portuges.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 4, 2024

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
https://twitter.com/dennisbhooper/status/1764418060054622692

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It is hilarious that Hawthorne keeps trying to pretend to blend in and then he sees a catholic and immediately goes rage mode.

"I am a simple trades man, here to trade my wares"
"No, he's a protestant pirate"
"YARRRR ME MATEY I BE DECLARIN A WAR ON YE CATHOLICS IN THE NAME OF CHURCH OF ENGLAND JESUS!"

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Alhazred posted:

I think a good rule of thumb is to not cook things that are alive.
Anyways, I like that Hawthorne is a bit of an idiot and is unable to chill out about catholics for even one second. It was also kinda funny how Rodrigues pretended to be his friend and then suddenly revealed that he knew all about him and were gonna tell the spaniards.

He made it pretty clear he wasn't his friend. He liked his moxy, but they are sworn enemies in every sense of the word. He saved his life as seaman, then wanted to kill him with a jug like 4 mins later.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stegosnaurlax posted:

He made it pretty clear he wasn't his friend. He liked his moxy, but they are sworn enemies in every sense of the word. He saved his life as seaman, then wanted to kill him with a jug like 4 mins later.
He wanted to kill him with a jug because he found his books. Before that it was clear that he didn't consider Rodrigues a threat.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Alhazred posted:

He wanted to kill him with a jug because he found his books. Before that it was clear that he didn't consider Rodrigues a threat.

I think it's more he respected him as a pilot and he was still a prisoner surrounded by Japanese. Not exactly smort to kill the only person you can get information from.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I don't remember Rodrigues pretending to be his friend.
Yes, he'll inform his allies that their economic interests are threatened, but he won't go nuts like that priest that screeched "Kill him! Kill the pirate!" at Yabu.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Doktor Avalanche posted:

I don't remember Rodrigues pretending to be his friend.
Yes, he'll inform his allies that their economic interests are threatened, but he won't go nuts like that priest that screeched "Kill him! Kill the pirate!" at Yabu.

Yeah Rodrigues vaguely likes Blackthorn as a person right now just based on their interactions and is kind of running on the idea that Blackthorne's either going to get himself killed eventually by being a loving ignorant shithead or as a part of the church's mechanations now that they have all his documents so either way he's a self-solving problem as far as Rodrigues is concerned right now, and if he isn't then he's probably canny enough to get the gently caress out of Japan before the swords start swinging at Catholic necks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Doesn't Rodrigues say the exact words "I'm not your friend" to Blackthorn right after they meet?