Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

It's mostly a creep-spread tutorial. That and one of few chances to make a defensive burrow relevant in casual play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

DTurtle posted:

If I see the map correctly, it’s just our base connected to the enemy base with a winding path. There are no expansions, just a few enemy outposts scattered along the path. There is no reactivity, no change in tactics or enemy composition. Finally, the "bonus" objective is just three carcasses randomly placed along the path.

This map could be built in an hour or two.

And it is still more interesting than "there are four points you have to reach, each guarded by progressively stronger enemy forces, oh and you are on timer" repeated ad nauseam in LotV. Heart of the Swarm, with all its flaws, was peak performance when it comes to mission design, at least compared to LotV (with WoL campaign being glorified tutorial).

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
That sounds like peak was really low.

I liked WotL campaigns much more, because they didn't give you hero unit that soloed all missions it was in, but I can't say that's better mission design on its own.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If Warfield is the best general the dominion's got it's amazing they've held together at all. Also his name is stupid. It's clearly made up as a general-sounding name. Did his parents do that to boost his military career or did he change it himself depending on his rank?

Scource. Great anti-air strain. Perfect for use against dominion and protoss vessels. Do not bother to collect. I am very smart.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Is it possible to destroy the Gorgons without the Scourge Nests or are they only killable by trigger, not by sheer damage?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

PurpleXVI posted:

Is it possible to destroy the Gorgons without the Scourge Nests or are they only killable by trigger, not by sheer damage?

They don't even have health. You play by the rules or die.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
:thunk:

So what happens if you let the gorgon pass by a section, then build a new hatchery past where it's already flown, to keep you in the game? Does it fly back, or is it broken..?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
This mission really does wonders for completely neutering the Dominion as a threat. Their best general is a totally incompetent boob!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Huh, I thought I remembered him launching multiple Gorgons at a time toward the end. Maybe that's just something I expected rather than actually happened?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

HannibalBarca posted:

This mission really does wonders for completely neutering the Dominion as a threat. Their best general is a totally incompetent boob!

WoL did establish that Raynor was the only reason they didn't immediately die when attacking Char.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

TeeQueue posted:

So what happens if you let the gorgon pass by a section, then build a new hatchery past where it's already flown, to keep you in the game? Does it fly back, or is it broken..?

There's been instances in modded campaigns that probably didn't require extra coding where the gorgon killed the main hive and then backtracked to kill stuff that had been built behind it. Zerg being expected to multihatch probably caught that design flaw early.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Why's the Dominion even still on Char? Is there anything there except volcanoes and zerg?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

TeeQueue posted:

Just checked.

When the Gorgon reaches your base it'll pick a building and park on top of it, prioritizing Extractors, then other buildings, then your Hatch. It'll ignore Drones unless you actively command them to attack.

Although the nature of zerg bases means the Hatch will probably be in range anyways.

Once everything in the starting base is dead it'll beeline to wherever your next Hatch is, repeating until you either lose or finally pop a Scourge Nest.

So it isn't an instant game over, but good luck getting any units made when the Gorgon is taking wonky paths and Drones have to walk a mile each way to harvest minerals

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

BisbyWorl posted:

Just checked.

So it isn't an instant game over, but good luck getting any units made when the Gorgon is taking wonky paths and Drones have to walk a mile each way to harvest minerals

:ms:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You see zerg have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness I sent wave after wave of my own gorgons at them until they reached their limits and shut down.

Angry Salami posted:

Why's the Dominion even still on Char? Is there anything there except volcanoes and zerg?
Maybe a politician decided it was strategically important and symbol of victory or some other bull.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Poil posted:

You see zerg have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness I sent wave after wave of my own gorgons at them until they reached their limits and shut down.

Ironically Warfield actually did stop trying right before Kerrigan ran out of scourge and he'd have overwhelmed her.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Y'know, the funny thing is, the "Real Scale" mod for Heart of the Swarm fixes Warfield's big tactical dumbassery here.

Because in Real Scale, the Gorgon is so goddamn enormously massive... that there is only one in the entire mission. And it takes every Scourge Nest on the map to destroy it. Each successive Scourge nest simply weakens it.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Ironically Warfield actually did stop trying right before Kerrigan ran out of scourge and he'd have overwhelmed her.

Yeah, if he had exactly one more gorgon it would've worked.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
I see Warfield being here as just hinting down the remaining Zerg broods there. It was Kerrigans primary hive cluster, so chances are that is where most of the Zerg numbers were, so they are just slowly trying to exterminate the last of the major numbers/prevent some Broodmother popping up and gathering enough numbers to cause a problem later.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Fun Fact: The Zerg Bits that you gather are actually Defiler Bones!

Fun Fact #2: The Defiler itself is actually in Heart!

... as an unfinished, untextured model!

This was a deliberate choice by Blizzard, as they wanted to see "what the community would do with it". The answer was "nothing", as everyone in the modding community saw it as the blatantly naked play it was to try to get users to cook up the textures for them.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
The best mods for HotS are the ones that remove Kerrigan from battlefield.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

you're just mad that she's got toes now

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I always just left Kerrigan in the base and feel pretty good about that choice.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Intermission 9

Kilysa is the Broodmother that we saw during the Hydralisk evolution mission, meaning this is a continuity error.

But hey, recognition!

It's also one of the worst loving things in Heart!

Do that, and you will earn your place within the Swarm.

See, Mengsk sacrificing Tarsonis to the ravenous zerg to gain supreme power is treated as his most horrible act, to the point where the Rebellion missions back in Wings were all about revealing that to the general public.

But Kerrigan? Kerrigan sacrifices a world to the zerg as a loving hazing ritual.

Like, even as a big production hub there's no way a world can be a loving monolith of industry where every single soul is working at the factory! There has to be hospitals! Diners! Schools! Bars! Every single one of them gets put to the torch! And you know Kerrigan won't give a poo poo about the non-combatants!

God, gently caress Kerrigan.

The worst part is there's barely any payoff for this! There will be no dramatic moment where Kerrigan has her back to the wall and and the Broodmothers ride in to save the day! You could literally cut this out entirely and it would change nothing!

>Talk to Izsha.

Perhaps not all of them wish to rule the Swarm.

Or perhaps they know there is safety in numbers.

Another convo change if done before Zerus:

quote:

Izsha. When the Queen of Blades... when I commanded the Swarm here on Char. What was I like?

You were mighty. You make us cunning and strong, and we knew we would survive forever under you.

And now?

Now nothing is clear, but the Swarm will continue. If you die, we will serve another leader.

I am the leader of the Swarm and if I die, so do all of you. Remember it.

>Talk to Dehaka

This is the same 'Essence is change. Change is survival.' convo you get with Dehaka after reaching Kaldir, so I won't count it twice.

>Talk to Zagara.

Vision, is this like cunning?

No.

Viciousness?

Abathur. Go to him.

His work is painful.

His work will make you understand vision.

I will go.

>Examine Warfield's Compound.

He has no idea what he's up against.

The Mutalisks flying around in the distance aren't here if you haven't done Zerus, naturally.

This also gets different lines if Zagara is still in the room:

quote:

That fortress is nearly unassailable. There is only one ground approach and one-

It doesn't matter. We're the Swarm, we can sacrifice thousands for each one of their soldiers.

>Talk to Abathur.

I was born a terran.

Kerrigan sounds downright offended here.

Rare terran individuals, high psionic potential. Overcome flawed origins.

From now on, we won't be doing any more experiments on humans.

Am pleased to know it.

Kerrigan's levels.

We need only your command, my queen.

And now to murder the poo poo out of Warfield.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 3, 2024

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's really fun watching Kerrigan swing from utterly awful on a large scale to random preventive decency on a small scale and knowing that since Blizz is writing, none of it means anything at all unless further bad writing happens that will manage to gently caress it up twice before it lands.

I'm pretty sure teen me could write better than that, I even should have some evidence lying around, that I need to burn.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The whole broodmother devouring random worlds thing is one of the more tonally braindead parts of heart of the swarm and also one of the more disappointing: you're literally devouring an entire world while trying to be morally superior and you don't even get to play it out.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

please never forget that this happened, it makes so many things so much funnier

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

NewMars posted:

The whole broodmother devouring random worlds thing is one of the more tonally braindead parts of heart of the swarm and also one of the more disappointing: you're literally devouring an entire world while trying to be morally superior and you don't even get to play it out.

What's weird is they don't give the player a choice - they could say "do you want to send Kilysa to the planet that builds Wraiths or the planet that builds Goliaths" and maybe that's an interesting trade-off for your eventual invasion of Korhal but instead it's just something to click past that makes zero difference in anything.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

"We're putting a stop to any human experimentation."

"Thank god, they sucked as material."

Never change, Abathur. :allears:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

TeeQueue posted:

"We're putting a stop to any human experimentation."

"Thank god, they sucked as material."

Never change, Abathur. :allears:

And the real clincher is that he’s saying that right before the mission where you get… late-stage infested terrans.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

"Wow, you really showed that planet who's boss, Kilysa!"

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Regalingualius posted:

And the real clincher is that he’s saying that right before the mission where you get… late-stage infested terrans.

That's what abominations are? Followup questions, what actual use case do abominations have in gameplay?

I assume Abathur's comments are after years of trying to squeeze something useful out of human genome essence and only getting the idea of banelings out of it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Poor Abathur, having to deal with Kerrigan and her mood swings.

Kerrigan: "KILL ALL TERRANS hey Abathur you ever dissect any terrans?"

Abathur: "Yes, it sucked because they suck."

Kerrigan: "I used to be a Terran, you know!!!"

Abathur: "I'm sure you were one of the special ones, my queen. Sigh."

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Wait, what???

And here I was trying to suss out why she makes a point of 'no human experimentation' in the first place. Like, it's not any more deplorable than anything else she did in the last, I dunno, ten minutes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Someone must have been really attached to the visual of the Swarm consuming a planet, huh.

It's some cool imagery, and would have worked if this was more like the Starcract 1 zerg campaign where you're just gleefully playing the bad guy. Obviously it doesn't work if you're still trying to play Kerrigan as morally conflicted.
It also ties in with the way Starcraft 2 has a much broader and shallower scope - where the first game covered maybe eight planets over all of its campaigns, WoL had a separate one for each mission. Every planet is exactly one population centre, production facility or landmark. You could swap the name of each out for just the name of a local town and change nothing.
I don't really have a problem with this - it's very, very standard for sci-fi - but I know it's something that bothered a lot of people about SC2. Just funny to see what while HotS' campaign structure gives each planet more focus, they really don't get any more gravitas.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Omobono posted:

That's what abominations are? Followup questions, what actual use case do abominations have in gameplay?

They are better (non-evolved) ultras.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

There's one last detail about them that wraps this all up nicely in a bow, but I'll wait until the mission goes up before calling attention to it, unless Bisby points it out.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

That fortress is nearly unassailable. There is only one ground approach and one-

It doesn't matter. We're the Swarm, we can sacrifice thousands for each one of their soldiers.

This is a pretty funny exchange if you remember Kerrigan getting all offended at that Protoss prisoner with her "sure I may massacre refugees but how many Zerg have you killed, hmm?" line

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Aberrations are ridiculously powerful and frankly I'm upset about them. Heart has really awful roster bloat where you get a bunch of units "just because" and they wind up stepping over each other constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

in the aberration's defense, stepping over things is literally in their job description