Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Rebirth is the greatest game in history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i am pretty sick of people melting down every time they see the word AI

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Offkorn posted:

Games are already lousy with 'ai' content (i.e. procedural generation). Adding art to the mix just gives people something new to be performatively angry/superior about.

Same level as complaining that loot is no longer hand-placed.

Oh?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Ho?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
thinkin' about the goon whose super excited for the new assasin creed to have infinite dynamic chatgpt quests to collect varying amounts of gay bearbutts for the permabull npc

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Offkorn posted:

Games are already lousy with 'ai' content (i.e. procedural generation). Adding art to the mix just gives people something new to be performatively angry/superior about.

very stupid post

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Zokari posted:

looking forward to getting melted down by ai cuz the processors demand more cooling slurry

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Offkorn posted:

they aren't using ai art for the game, though. the actual description makes it just sound like they want to use it to poo poo out reference images to use before the actual concept art is made instead of using screenshots of scenes from lord of the rings or something

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
You just hire concept artists for that

so instead

you now have AI that is trained on the concept artists art

and now you have no new ideas nor do you pay people

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
AI

make mario but elephant

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you hate scabs you hate AI. We need to create the language of class war against computers.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Where are the anti computer cults so I can join one.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Salt Fish posted:

Where are the anti computer cults so I can join one.

Pennsylvania, english.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hm I could refuse to take a job that is essentially demanding that I train the robot that they want to replace me with, but on the other hand i don’t want to be “performative”

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's dead things from the ground

"dead" things? it's called lifestream idiot

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Zokari posted:

i like the melt downs

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

it sucks to hear and hopefully they'll turn back from it after the backlash. it wouldn't be the first time they've walked something back after people have flipped out over it, and helps that paizo is on record as being staunchly against AI art

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

triple sulk posted:

woah

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

turn off the TV posted:

absolutely devastated tk hear that owlcat is resorting to using ai art instead of just jacking people's actual artwork for this stage of pre production

maybe youre joking, but yes, it is literally better since you are not paying AI companies poo poo

an artist working off another artists reference is not the same thing

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Buck Wildman posted:

it sucks to hear and hopefully they'll turn back from it after the backlash. it wouldn't be the first time they've walked something back after people have flipped out over it, and helps that paizo is on record as being staunchly against AI art
wanting to use abominable intelligences to make art for their games shows they don't understand 40k. can't believe games workshop let them make rogue trader.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Grey Fox posted:

About to take a shower and had a "hey what if you just played a quick round of Balatro first" intrusive thought

this is called an addiction

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

he can quit showering any time he wants

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

wanting to use abominable intelligences to make art for their games shows they don't understand 40k. can't believe games workshop let them make rogue trader.

the men of iron tried to save humanity, you're just drunk on golden man propaganda.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

boo boo bear posted:

the men of iron tried to save humanity, you're just drunk on golden man propaganda.
this is anti-turkish racism

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

they're just hiring a concept artist who can use midjourney to do concepts, get with the times grampas

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Zokari posted:

I only melt down when it's the poster

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

ai is all the rave here in Gamer Heaven (my abode). we love it.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

triple sulk posted:

that’s right
(im only on chapter 4)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
AI is cringe and must be destroyed

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

NFTs were dumb
Micro-transactions are annoying and exploitative
Making everything into a squad shooter with bullets that fire numbers is so damned boring and bad

And all of those things suck but they're all better than replacing your concept artists with 1 person writing prompts, because at least people are getting paid to do those dumb things
It's not like Owlcat is some indie start-up trying to get a foot into the industry

Christ gamedevs need to unionize and fast before the beast swallows them all whole

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Salt Fish posted:

If you hate scabs you hate AI. We need to create the language of class war against computers.

disabling dlss out of gamer solidarity

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
sorry i dont buy clothes made by a machine

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

RealityWarCriminal posted:

sorry i dont buy clothes made by a machine

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

NFTs were dumb
Micro-transactions are annoying and exploitative
Making everything into a squad shooter with bullets that fire numbers is so damned boring and bad

And all of those things suck but they're all better than replacing your concept artists with 1 person writing prompts, because at least people are getting paid to do those dumb things
It's not like Owlcat is some indie start-up trying to get a foot into the industry

Christ gamedevs need to unionize and fast before the beast swallows them all whole

yea it sucks that all of the hard workers at pinterest.com who uploaded things like "cool knight armor.jpeg" are no longer going to be employed at owlcat

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

yea it sucks that all of the hard workers at pinterest.com who uploaded things like "cool knight armor.jpeg" are no longer going to be employed at owlcat

even if you were right you're arguing in favor of money going to shareholders and CEOs rather than people

simply shameful

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

i think the bigger problem is that if your concept art is just ripped off trash your art art is also going to suck. which tracks because most of the owlcat stuff I've seen is pretty generic so ai concept art is kinda a lateral move

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Hatebag posted:

i think the bigger problem is that if your concept art is just ripped off trash your art art is also going to suck. which tracks because most of the owlcat stuff I've seen is pretty generic so ai concept art is kinda a lateral move
yeah, i can see why this would not be a huge issue, from a pure end product pov.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
We must RETVRN to clipart

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

even if you were right you're arguing in favor of money going to shareholders and CEOs rather than people

simply shameful

the only difference in this specific scenario is what company's shareholders and CEOs are making money instead of people. the actual artists whose work is getting reuploaded to pinterest or imgur by random people and then aggregated into google search or scraped by openai are getting hosed either way.

Hatebag posted:

it isn't being used for concept art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

management that is already starting to cut a corner is not going to stop when the deadlines start looming
it's not gonna be "but we promised not to use AI art"
it's gonna be "that art department is loving us again with these 2 day turnaround times, just have Steve generate something and then tell them to paint over it a little bit so we can pass it off"