Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I feel like given naanchat, this thread would enjoy a malawach. It's sort of like Partha, but from Yemen, and I have no idea where to get it in the UK. You're welcome.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

I'm certain I've proselytised about this before but I think the best Indian bread you can get at home without ordering it from a restaurant or building a tandoor in your back garden, is a frozen paratha.

Particularly the Shana brand ones - I'm sure there are other brands that do it the same, but Shana are the best I've found. They're thin discs of frozen uncooked dough. You whack them in a medium-hot un-oiled non-stick frying pan for about 45 seconds, flip them over for another 45 seconds... and that's it. They cook and puff up and taste nearly identical to restaurant ones.

For the unitiated, paratha are like a really buttery, flakey, almost croissant-like roti and they are amazing. They're not similar to a naan, really, but I think I prefer them to naan anyway. *Definitely* better than any kind of frozen or heat-at-home supermarket naan.

The frozen rotis are similarly good, but roti are not quite as indulgent as parathas.

Be aware that some other brands sell frozen *pre-cooked* parathas which are still better than not having any, but nowhere near as good as the frozen uncooked dough disks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMKClKm2G1k

They do garlic or onion ones too which are amazing. I think they also do (or at least, some other brands do) potato or cauliflower-stuffed parathas but IMO those aren't as good.

Oh, and they're also basically the same thing as Chinese scallion pancakes, though I think parathas have more fat.

Second this. I always keep a few in my freezer. Great snack all round.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

I feel like given naanchat, this thread would enjoy a malawach. It's sort of like Partha, but from Yemen, and I have no idea where to get it in the UK. You're welcome.
Sending George Galloway with a briefcase handcuffed to him to get me some good breads.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lefties eating dangerous houthi bread, when will starmer act to stop this???

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
No use to anyone but there is a Kurdish Shawarma place in Govanhill that does amazing flatbread, and will give you like 5 for a pound.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Oh I should mention the way to tell the difference between the good frozen uncooked dough parathas and the not quite as good frozen pre-cooked parathas that you're essentially rewarming, is that the latter will generally tell you to add butter/oil/ghee when cooking. They're also thicker.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Naan chat: you can cook an amazing naan in an Ooni pizza oven (amazing pizzas too obvs).

Because it gets up to nearly 500c it’s awesome for it. They do one that uses wood pellets which is the one I’ve got, it’s also good for kebabs and other stuff that wants short but crazy heat. There’s loads of knockoff versions available for loads cheaper too so if you’re dead set on making your own naans so maybe give one of those a try.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Bizarre choice of venue for a photoshoot!

Apparently she wants to be known as the Iron Chancellor.

I know, I know, don't kink shame.

Meanwhile in dead bird chat: Douglas Henshall (the actor) seems like a good egg.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

What the gently caress goons, I can practically smell the naan bread now and I haven’t got any here. That’s cruel.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Naanchat had been my favourite derail in years

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

keep punching joe posted:

No use to anyone but there is a Kurdish Shawarma place in Govanhill that does amazing flatbread, and will give you like 5 for a pound.

On a smilar vein theres a Punjabi street food place just opened up on Poole High Street. I walked out of town 3 stone heavier.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Also Camilla is stepping back from Royal Duties too.

Wills on a killing spree

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Meanwhile in dead bird chat: Douglas Henshall (the actor) seems like a good egg.

The English Mansion energy is off the charts

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

serious gaylord posted:

Wills on a killing spree

Maybe they just all couldn't be arsed. Almost relatable

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Naan chat: you can cook an amazing naan in an Ooni pizza oven (amazing pizzas too obvs).

Because it gets up to nearly 500c it’s awesome for it. They do one that uses wood pellets which is the one I’ve got, it’s also good for kebabs and other stuff that wants short but crazy heat. There’s loads of knockoff versions available for loads cheaper too so if you’re dead set on making your own naans so maybe give one of those a try.

I really want the Ooni Volt as I make a lot of pizza and naan using my pizza steel, but that can only get so hot. I know I wouldn’t use the outdoor ovens that much, but I can’t justify the purchase as the Volt is quite pricy.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Failed Imagineer posted:

nobody wants to monarch any more

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Failed Imagineer posted:

She's focusing on her new Willie's chocolate factory venture

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

serious gaylord posted:

Wills on a killing spree

Who is left doing royal duties now, Andrew and Edward?

They should be careful or people will twig they do nothing but provide page filling news for the tabloids

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Who is left doing royal duties now, Andrew and Edward?

They should be careful or people will twig they do nothing but provide page filling news for the tabloids

Also kid-fiddling and charming racisms

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

quote:

The Budget will contain an £800m package of technology reforms aimed at freeing up NHS and police time, the Treasury has announced.

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt said ahead of the 6 March announcement that there was "too much waste in the system".

As part of the reforms, AI will be used to cut NHS scan times by a third and the police will deploy drones to incidents such as traffic collisions.

How is AI going to do an x-ray

How is a drone going to redirect traffic

Edit: Oh also

quote:

Other key measures in the £800m investment include:

£170m to save up to 55,000 hours a year of administrative time in the justice system through digitising jury bundles and new software to streamline parole decisions

£165m to cut last year's local authority overspend of £670m on children's social care places across England by making 200 additional child social care places available, reducing the reliance on costly emergency places for children

£34m to reduce fraud by a wider AI usage across government agencies - a move expected to save $100m

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 3, 2024

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Somehow that star trek episode is on the front page of BBC news

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

looks more like a toilet piss monitor, making sure the right genitalia match the correct toilet stall

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Looks like she's in an episode of Homicide: Life on the Street

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

looks more like a toilet piss monitor, making sure the right genitalia match the correct toilet stall

With the bargain-basement non-slip floor tiles, it looks like a communal shower. Combined with the cheap chair, I'm assuming a secondary school somewhere.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Beefeater1980 posted:

What the gently caress goons, I can practically smell the naan bread now and I haven’t got any here. That’s cruel.

This is what we've been saying. You can just make some! Throw enough hot lime pickle on it and you can almost forget that the country is going to turn into a living hell as we elect the living embodiment of middle managers, who seem desperate to please Daddy Capital by doing turbo authoritarianism and austerity.

I can't even bring myself to make a funny meme about the toilet piss queen vibes that photo is giving off it's so loving depressing.

Thus:

Failed Imagineer posted:

Naanchat had been my favourite derail in years

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Rarity posted:

She's focusing on her new Willie's chocolate factory venture

I did hear Willy's chocolate factory was taking a beating

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

EvilHawk posted:

So what the gently caress was wrong with the Lib Dem candidate?

Really?!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

bold new day when the ukmt is asking, "are the lib dems really so bad?"

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i dunno if its the wrong photo, but hes the same candidate they are standing in the next election in one of the nearby new constituencies so they were hedging their bets a bit. In that one hes a vicar, but they don't mention that here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is impressive when they fail to achieve anything so hard that loving george galloway wins in a landslide.

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice

mediaphage posted:

Having been a lurker at that time - maybe a portal has opened into 14 years ago and posts are leaking through :tinfoil:

To my eternal shame I bought into cleggmania for my first UK general election, sold on the promise of federalism, drug law reform and proportional representation. Too bad they sold out every one of their good principles all for the promise of getting to join the Tories in kerb stomping benefits claimants in the wake of the great recession for 5 years

Fool me once, etc

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

quidditch it and quit it posted:

I got offered a job at ooni a few years back but turned it down it because it felt like a bit of a dead end company just churning out the one (relatively expensive) niche purpose item.

Are they really that popular? I see em in shops everywhere but I figured there's only so much pizza a family can eat in a week and decent weather in the UK to fire it up outside.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kin posted:

I got offered a job at ooni a few years back but turned it down it because it felt like a bit of a dead end company just churning out the one (relatively expensive) niche purpose item.

Are they really that popular? I see em in shops everywhere but I figured there's only so much pizza a family can eat in a week and decent weather in the UK to fire it up outside.

they’re sold internationally too

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Kin posted:

I don't know about these things but I have a charcoal grill and will quite happily use it in the wind and (moderate) rain. It's close enough to my kitchen I can just duck back inside when not actually poking things on it.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Kin posted:

I use mine year round. It's more than paid for itself considering the actual ingredients cost of a pizza is less than A quid. The mozzarella is the most expensive bit! It's also amazing for tandoori, wings, searig sous vide steak, naan. You name it.

The whole "poo poo weather for a BBQ" is weird to me because I love cooking outside away from people, and good grilled food tastes amazing regardless of environment...and you don't have to keep the wasps away.

I learnt to grill on my 4th floor balcony in Germany, usually in a howling blizzard. Love it.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 3, 2024

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

mediaphage posted:

well, more along the lines of "are the lib dems worse than George Galloway", which is a harder question

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Angepain posted:

well, more along the lines of "are the lib dems worse than George Galloway", which is a harder question

Yes, the lib Dems actually betrayed the electorate and hosed the country.

Galloway is just another wanker in a hat, so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

This is more accurate than you might think.

Florence's albums each had an elemental theme. (Lungs= Air. Ceremonial = Water. How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful = Earth. High as Hope = Fire. Dance Fever = Spirit.)

So it's quite appropriate that the elemental theme for this albuln would be Void.