Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

silicone thrills posted:

Its cool that ill just never stop masking in public.
i thought this would be deemed necessary in 5-10 years because of air pollution and widely accepted. haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

"The CDC is no longer recommending Americans to stay home after testing positive for COVID-19, a major shift in policy that comes as much of the country has moved on from the height of the pandemic."

Wow, Biden truly is the most progressive president in history for putting *checks notes* grandfather Nurgle, Plague Lord and Master of Pestilence, as head of the CDC!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Ignoring the problem, powering through it, and marginalizing folks who care is working great for climate change, so why not do it here as well?

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time
get to roll the dice this week - on the way to the airport for a weeklong work trip to fuckin Florida, elastomeric/aura/carragean/k12 let’s do this

I’ve gotten away with half a dozen of these trips since it all started but gently caress I wish I could get a remote job and not have to deal w/this

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

silicone thrills posted:

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

silicone thrills posted:

tbh if covid somehow was managed or mitigated to an actual endemic level id still mask and not go out to eat. I like not getting sick. 4 years of no flu or colds, not going to stop now.

I just wish this country didn’t force workers to get sick. no surprise that cdc has done what they’ve done. it was the goal from the start. and the structures and power dynamics that allow them to do so are the same that oppress workers elsewhere. no wonder they hate masks. it’s something we can do for ourselves in spite of their efforts to keep any power or agency out of our hands.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Tzen posted:

went to the library today to pick up some free covid tests. librarian tells me this is their last shipment ever, that the free covid test program/funding is discontinued. lol, lmao. guess i'll be hitting up several library branches throughout the week.

poo poo, I'm sorry to hear that.

They aren't free by any means but the cheapest place I know of for the iHealth RATS is this place starting at $2.75 for a pack of 2 tests (and cheaper the more you purchase in bulk).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So how many organizations were following the CDC recommendations for isolation and immediately dropped them after this news hit? I'm imagining at least a handful of federal government departments.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
CDC was saying vaccines last two months and everyone was still insisting on six. it doesnt matter, its over.

-m.
Jul 2, 2007

Tzen posted:

went to the library today to pick up some free covid tests. librarian tells me this is their last shipment ever, that the free covid test program/funding is discontinued. lol, lmao. guess i'll be hitting up several library branches throughout the week.

FYI I work in a library in Ohio that probably has the same program, so I wouldn't be surprised if we already received our last shipment. Call around! Last I knew they were the BinaxNow tests but we've had the iHealth as well, and there was another bigger box of a brand I didn't recognize.

When I worked last I had one person ask why I was wearing it. I said the usual, and he was "lol paper masks don't work" and I was "lol yeah N95", and then he said he couldn't wear anything on his face and wished he wasn't me, which is fair enough. Also had someone put on a mask because I was so that was a nice balance. Yes it was a baggy blue, but the thought was there. Also saw some with a neck garter and bandanna, which was real 2020 vibes.

-m. has issued a correction as of 17:48 on Mar 3, 2024

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

mags posted:

tbh if covid somehow was managed or mitigated to an actual endemic level id still mask and not go out to eat. I like not getting sick. 4 years of no flu or colds, not going to stop now.

I just wish this country didn’t force workers to get sick. no surprise that cdc has done what they’ve done. it was the goal from the start. and the structures and power dynamics that allow them to do so are the same that oppress workers elsewhere. no wonder they hate masks. it’s something we can do for ourselves in spite of their efforts to keep any power or agency out of our hands.

preventing infection undermines the key idea that infection cannot be prevented.

and if infection can’t be prevented, all measures to try to prevent it are just wasteful.

everyone hates waste. cut the waste! waste is unreasonable!

then the cuts make it harder to prevent infections, making the the original idea of helplessness stronger and the concept of prevention seems less reasonable.

why would we have policies that are unreasonable? discourage the unreasonable behaviour like trying to keep yourself from getting sick!

and thus, the challenging becomes the unreasonable becomes the impossible. and we don’t make no policies to govern the impossible!

tuyop has issued a correction as of 18:19 on Mar 3, 2024

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

poo poo, I'm sorry to hear that.

They aren't free by any means but the cheapest place I know of for the iHealth RATS is this place starting at $2.75 for a pack of 2 tests (and cheaper the more you purchase in bulk).

quote:

Current Lot Expiration Date: 04-08-2024

lol. lmao.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Zugzwang posted:

Ignoring the problem, powering through it, and marginalizing folks who care is working great for climate change, so why not do it here as well?

It's an endless positive feedback loop where lessons learned to minimize COVID can be applied to climate change and vice versa. It's an excellent long-term strategy that bodes well for the future in every conceivable way.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I went back to the optometrist. The depth of field deficits seem in the last exam are gone, and the bizarre visual artifacting I noticed during the test in the bad eye, did not occur this time. So whatever the gently caress that was actually healed.

I do still have some differences between eyes, but, I am in my 40s and it's subtle enough that it may have been getting worse for some period and then crossed a threshold, and then my fixation on my vision post-COVID made me notice it. Or, COVID did multiple fucky things to my eyes and only some recovered.

Hard to say, and I have to go back to check my ocular pressure and also look for cataracts because I do have some visual deficits, but the dr seemed very relieved by these test results and says that, barring any weird findings, the likliest thing is that I have some amount of age related vision loss, and maybe COVID interacted with that in some way, but, unless they find fuckin cataracts back there tomorrow, I will feel good about this outcome.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

RandomBlue posted:

lol. lmao.

this is odd because I purchased a dozen last September and they have 2025 expiration dates

i got bad news
Apr 9, 2020
just tested positive for the first time (late bloomer)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

username/post combo

sorry about that, I hope it’s as easy to recover as possible

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

until masking is made illegal next year because

sucking down virus and also wildfire smoke for tbd reasons is just part of living in this society and if you're not prepared to do those things, maybe you need to seek therapy!!!

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

i got bad news posted:

Sorry to hear that. Make sure you go to https://www.test2treat.org to get free Paxlovid (be sure to choose their home delivery service as the pharmacy, and it would probably work in your favor to say you don't have insurance and aren't able to get an appointment with your doctor immediately). Hope you're able to get it and that you recover quickly!

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

i got bad news posted:

drat

get pax ^

i got bad news
Apr 9, 2020

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Sorry to hear that. Make sure you go to https://www.test2treat.org to get free Paxlovid (be sure to choose their home delivery service as the pharmacy, and it would probably work in your favor to say you don't have insurance and aren't able to get an appointment with your doctor immediately). Hope you're able to get it and that you recover quickly!

i went thru and his test2treat before coming here, but chose pickup at a local pharmacy rather than home delivery since it was a day or two quicker, hopefully they'll let me change that once it gets the green light

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

i got bad news posted:

i went thru and his test2treat before coming here, but chose pickup at a local pharmacy rather than home delivery since it was a day or two quicker, hopefully they'll let me change that once it gets the green light

The problem with that is that the pharmacy might not even have it there.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
rat tests are just going to go functionally extinct aren't they

they're no longer free through libraries here either (melbourne aus), and i've noticed supermarkets have mostly dropped them as well. they're like $10-20 for a two-pack through pharmacies.

can't imagine manufacturers will bother, or it will remain commercially viable, if governments are no longer purchasing them in bulk

they'll be $20+ a pop and absolutely no one will bother with them

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
the rat tests are hosed but are still a way to confirm that covid is still not, in fact, “over”

so they gotta go, yeah

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

i got bad news posted:

You might get lucky, it's still free at some pharmacies. While you're waiting you might want to call the pharmacy you picked now to make sure about that, and if they are charging, you can do the online chat with test2treat to have it switched over. They're extremely helpful there, it's not the standard experience of dealing with companies.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I went back to the optometrist. The depth of field deficits seem in the last exam are gone, and the bizarre visual artifacting I noticed during the test in the bad eye, did not occur this time. So whatever the gently caress that was actually healed.

I do still have some differences between eyes, but, I am in my 40s and it's subtle enough that it may have been getting worse for some period and then crossed a threshold, and then my fixation on my vision post-COVID made me notice it. Or, COVID did multiple fucky things to my eyes and only some recovered.

Hard to say, and I have to go back to check my ocular pressure and also look for cataracts because I do have some visual deficits, but the dr seemed very relieved by these test results and says that, barring any weird findings, the likliest thing is that I have some amount of age related vision loss, and maybe COVID interacted with that in some way, but, unless they find fuckin cataracts back there tomorrow, I will feel good about this outcome.

drat dude, glad to hear it.

kerrhyphen
Jul 19, 2010

Disaster Ace

So I forget who shared the link in here, but I tried ordering some of those euro combo tests from https://meinarztbedarf.com and the package got turned around by customs. Silly me thinking I could get a more comprehensive test for less than our covid-only tests cost.

Anybody have any luck getting those shipped successfully to the US?

Guess now I get to see how well this Austrian(?) medical supply website deals with an unexpectedly returned undeliverable shipment from some rando in NYC. At least saying their name out loud makes me smile...

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

kerrhyphen posted:

So I forget who shared the link in here, but I tried ordering some of those euro combo tests from https://meinarztbedarf.com and the package got turned around by customs. Silly me thinking I could get a more comprehensive test for less than our covid-only tests cost.

Guess now I get to see how well this Austrian(?) medical supply website deals with an unexpectedly returned undeliverable shipment from some rando in NYC. At least saying their name out loud makes me smile...

... Yeah I posted the link, and mine showed up no problem and actually really quickly?

I'm in new york state too. That sucks, I'm sorry! At least one other goon has ordered (Insanite) and a couple other people at least posted / inquired after them. Anyone else had any luck?

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 02:42 on Mar 4, 2024

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

... Yeah I posted the link, and mine showed up no problem and actually really quickly?

I'm in new york state too. That sucks, I'm sorry! At least one other goon has ordered (Insanite) and a couple other people at least posted / inquired after them. Anyone else had any luck?

Customs is loving dumb, my wife and I ordered bikes from the same company for delivery at the same time to the same place. Mine went right through no problem, hers got held up in customs for two weeks. I suspect they just roll the dice on who they're going to gently caress with on any given day

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
some lucky customs agents smoked two boxes of my cigars once

technically a more public-health-positive action than the entire government has taken since the vaccine release

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

kerrhyphen posted:

Not helpful, but corroborating evidence:

https://twitter.com/caitskirby/status/1764429757565845848

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I had no idea this here was an at home adenovirus test…this multi test would have been nice to have a month ago!

kerrhyphen
Jul 19, 2010

Disaster Ace

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Oh weird! I guess just random poo poo luck I guess? Well, still many thanks for sharing the link, I might try again after I find out how much of my money I can get back from the store.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Customs is loving dumb, my wife and I ordered bikes from the same company for delivery at the same time to the same place. Mine went right through no problem, hers got held up in customs for two weeks. I suspect they just roll the dice on who they're going to gently caress with on any given day

Hmmm now I'm feeling conflicted... Is this just incompetent or unaccountable government machinery at work? Or yet more deliberate withholding of the fabled tools... Who can say?

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

I assume the justification is like "unapproved medical device" or something?

obviously stupid in this case but just wondering if it's a more general thing

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Reminder that anyone wanting a green card has to get the following immunizations:

Mumps;
Measles;
Rubella;
Polio;
Tetanus and Diphtheria Toxoids;
Pertussis;
Haemophilus influenzae type B;
Hepatitis B;
COVID-19; and
Any other vaccine-preventable diseases recommended by the Advisory Committee for Immunization Practices (ACIP).

Only foreigners are susceptible to these diseases, obviously.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
It's ok to inject foreigners with all the microchips and whatnot, no one cares about their DNA.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Only foreigners are susceptible to these diseases, obviously.

People in the US were still getting covid questionaires right up until recently which asked if they'd traveled overseas in the 2 weeks prior, even though the covid rate in the US has been higher than most of the rest of the world

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People in the US were still getting covid questionaires right up until recently which asked if they'd traveled overseas in the 2 weeks prior, even though the covid rate in the US has been higher than most of the rest of the world

Anecdotal, of course, but based on people mentioning it periodically in the thread, this is likely one of those weird legacy things that has been and will continue to linger here and there forever, like the signs on businesses that demand masking for covid in a building where no one is masked. Saw one of those just the other day, in fact.

The 'have you travelled somewhere with covid recently' seems like it would probably be an especially stubborn one, because 1) asking about travel is a pretty standard medical question and 2) even if covid is accepted as 'over', who knows what's going on off in the far-flung corners of the world, they've still got plague and ebola and measles and who-knows-what. US society is really quite adept at blaming everything on foreigners, so

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

loving holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/jeffgilchrist/status/1764379747792908681

Lmao this is worse than I thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
good thing a lot of us got those mmr boosters a few years ago right?