Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

That's fortunately incorrect. Russia is depleting it's stock of vehicles and could be out in the next two years. 40% Of the GDP is partially sustaining their losses and much is offset by refit or pulled out of storage stuff. They cannot conduct this war forever just because there's minefields.

pretty sure i saw a video where Ukraine pulled up the mines, then sent them back to Russia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Vampire Panties posted:

Russia also can't lose anytime soon. They've built the largest minefields ever created, and Ukraine doesnt have the material to breakout. He can drag this out for decades, although dude is 71 so there's a very finite amount of time he personally can invest in this.

As to what his plan is specifically, It seems like he's willing to wait out Western support and grind the entire country into rubble. This says Russia is building 100 tanks a month, and losing 12 a week Will it work? IMO probably not, but it won't be decided anytime soon.

The only thing that could break russia is internal problems. There is a shitton of internal problems. A lot of people are unhappy about how things are going but are set to endure.

Court intrigue was a decent chance 2 or 3 years ago but the loving west and europe especially cant figure their poo poo out, not only failed to break apart towers of the Kremlin but instead forced olygarchs to consolidate around putin due to inconsistent sanctions and no proper strategy.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Vampire Panties posted:

This says Russia is building 100 tanks a month, and losing 12 a week Will it work? IMO probably not, but it won't be decided anytime soon.
The UK MoD stated that "Russia can probably generate at least 100 MBTs a month". This could mean anything from entirely new tanks rolling off the production line to slapping on some thermal optics on a T-62 with a recently refurbished engine. Or a mixture of anything between the two. There have been multiple circumstances where T-55s are being deployed to the front this is an indication that Russia is building 100 new tanks a month.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Vampire Panties posted:

This says Russia is building 100 tanks a month, and losing 12 a week Will it work? IMO probably not, but it won't be decided anytime soon.

Russia is like battletech dark age. They aren't really building tanks as they lost the tech and ability to build them. They are taking rusted out hulls from poorly stored tankyards, seeing what has been stolen off of them and replacing it with mostly very outdated technology and sending it to the front.

Reminder t55s are also considered "tanks" under this
Umbrella. If they truly are not desperate and outpeoducing their losses, we would see t90 wunderwaffes on the front instead of t62s and t55s and MTLBs. Their losses indicate newer and newer versions of tanks slowly disappearing and being replaced with obr2023 that are make-do downgrades of the lostech relics of yore.
/K/ had a good thread and analysis of this issue.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well sure they're probably refurbishign all stuff and fixing damaged ones for some of that. But how many non-lovely tanks are we giving Ukraine now? 0?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

mobby_6kl posted:

Well sure they're probably refurbishign all stuff and fixing damaged ones for some of that. But how many non-lovely tanks are we giving Ukraine now? 0?

Combining battlefield salvage and storage queens into functional vehicles that can be returned to the front has dminishing returns, because only a small percentage can be recovered, smaller again have anything important that can be salvaged, and the storage queens are finite in number.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The number of salvaged vehicles that are put back into service after losing a track or similar mobility issues must be historically low in this conflict.
All those clips of drones dropping grenades into open hatches are potential recoveries prevented and I can imagine an engineering team setting up to tow the damaged vehicle away is a juicy target as well.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Wake up babe, new slideshow just dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQLI8xnINqk

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Initial commentary on the leaked German discussion about the Taurus missile suggests the recording confirms there aren't any real technical barriers to providing the missiles to Ukraine, it's just Scholz refusing to do so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwr27EjZWt0
I don't quite understand why the Kremlin decided to release it, because it seems to me it plays straight into the hand of German hawks. Maybe the Kremlin feels desperate for something to spin into a story of NATO puppet masters directing the war against Russia that an offhand comment about a handful of British advisors is worth burning a source?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Initial commentary on the leaked German discussion about the Taurus missile suggests the recording confirms there aren't any real technical barriers to providing the missiles to Ukraine, it's just Scholz refusing to do so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwr27EjZWt0
I don't quite understand why the Kremlin decided to release it, because it seems to me it plays straight into the hand of German hawks. Maybe the Kremlin feels desperate for something to spin into a story of NATO puppet masters directing the war against Russia that an offhand comment about a handful of British advisors is worth burning a source?

It is still too early to tell how this will play out domestically in Germany in full, but right now it seems to have had a negative effect. All this talk about German missiles taking out the Kerch bridge did not go over very well with the public here, which is very sensitive to the optics of the weapon deliveries. Might have killed any hope of Taurus deliveries for good.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Well, the far left and far right have certainly lapped it up in equal measure (German generals planning an attack on Mother Russia! This is a crime!!)

https://x.com/DietmarBartsch/status/1763870993750122806?s=20
https://x.com/BjoernHoecke/status/1763667256083440008?s=20

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

beer_war posted:

Well, the far left and far right have certainly lapped it up in equal measure (German generals planning an attack on Mother Russia! This is a crime!!)

https://x.com/DietmarBartsch/status/1763870993750122806?s=20
https://x.com/BjoernHoecke/status/1763667256083440008?s=20

The horseshoe theory of Putin's German office

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/LXSummer1/status/1764244722124554377

quote:

It follows a "fresh 🇷🇺 russian commentary" in connection with the recent shooting down of various russian fighter jets ✈️ like the SU-34 or others. To be highlighted: "We will not name the exact number of planes shot down in recent days, but we are not talking about one or two aircraft. What is most tragic is that our experienced fighter pilots are irretrievably lost. Alas, the command is trying to hush up the fact that the pilots are reluctant to go on missions and there are even attempts at sabotage."... "We don't quite understand how the crests began to shoot down so many of our birds, but the pilots are not in a good mood."...
Never in all my life did I think we'd see the pilot's version of the mobik appeals, lmao :laugh:

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

GABA ghoul posted:

It is still too early to tell how this will play out domestically in Germany in full, but right now it seems to have had a negative effect. All this talk about German missiles taking out the Kerch bridge did not go over very well with the public here, which is very sensitive to the optics of the weapon deliveries. Might have killed any hope of Taurus deliveries for good.

I wonder what a coalition of the non-useless would look like in terms of European defense. We can't trust the US not to elect an actual russian asset, Germans are feckless, the French talk big but talk is cheap.

UK-NL-Nordics-Baltics-Poland ?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://twitter.com/ivan_8848/status/1763739792607482196

You know, I am Irish, so I'm kind of curious if these people think that if we hypothetically banned English that that would be reasonable grounds for the Brits to conquer the country again.

(Yes I know that Ukraine didn't actually ban Russian and the entire talking point is disingenuous horseshit, the point is that even if it was true, launching a massive invasion and war that's killed hundreds of thousands is still a loving insane response!)

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Philonius posted:

I wonder what a coalition of the non-useless would look like in terms of European defense. We can't trust the US not to elect an actual russian asset, Germans are feckless, the French talk big but talk is cheap.

Not sure I'd trust the Dutch when it comes to their elected leaders.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Lavrov is such a dumb rear end

(lol at the twitter notes)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

mobby_6kl posted:

What an idiot.

T1 was obviously the better Terminator movie.

Terminator 1 is a gritty loving real... it's real. Terminator 1 could loving HAPPEN, man. The original Terminator was a gritty loving amazing piece of sci-fi, gritty loving ROCK HARD MURDER. Terminator 2 was like 'heeey, man! Yeah! I dunno, it's a Terminator, here's a truck!'

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
lol of course there’s an Alien vs Aliens discourse but for terminator

Weird nobody defends T3

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Terminator 3 was pretty acceptable, or maybe it seems so in comparison with all the latter films. At least it had some practical effects and stunts.

Interestingly this also mirrors the Alien discourse, wrt the changing attitudes towards A3.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Alan Smithee posted:

lol of course there’s an Alien vs Aliens discourse but for terminator

Weird nobody defends T3

In the Giant Bomb video I was quoting, Dan Ryckert claimed it was better than Terminator 1 and nearly gave Jeff Gerstmann an embolism. If someone doesn't know who Dan Ryckert is, he is a man who thinks food uncooks if you put it in the fridge, and once spent the summer eating microwaved hotdogs off shoe box tops because he couldn't figure out dishes.

Oh and he thought "egg whites" meant egg shells and tried to eat egg shells for a healthy diet.

No, this is not a joke.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Why is he not dead?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

khwarezm posted:

You know, I am Irish, so I'm kind of curious if these people think that if we hypothetically banned English that that would be reasonable grounds for the Brits to conquer the country again.

(Yes I know that Ukraine didn't actually ban Russian and the entire talking point is disingenuous horseshit, the point is that even if it was true, launching a massive invasion and war that's killed hundreds of thousands is still a loving insane response!)

I'm up north of you (unless you're in Donegal), that gobshite is definitely sucking on the red diesel. :rolleyes:

Tangentally; Irish language teaching seems to be in a very bad state, should be asking the Welsh for tips tbh.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

In the Giant Bomb video I was quoting, Dan Ryckert claimed it was better than Terminator 1 and nearly gave Jeff Gerstmann an embolism. If someone doesn't know who Dan Ryckert is, he is a man who thinks food uncooks if you put it in the fridge, and once spent the summer eating microwaved hotdogs off shoe box tops because he couldn't figure out dishes.

Oh and he thought "egg whites" meant egg shells and tried to eat egg shells for a healthy diet.

No, this is not a joke.

Someone should introduce him to Grimes.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

:wtc:

The """reasons""" they give for this just become more and more deranged and deluded.

Edit 1:

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

If someone doesn't know who Dan Ryckert is, he is a man who thinks food uncooks if you put it in the fridge, and once spent the summer eating microwaved hotdogs off shoe box tops because he couldn't figure out dishes.
loving what.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

No, this is not a joke.
That is someMasaokis-tier cuisine.

Edit 2:
What the actual gently caress I'm watching him attempting to make a grilled cheese sandwich -- a 25 minute video, some-loving-how -- and he calls fresh bread 'raw'.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 3, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
e: wrong thread

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Philonius posted:

the baltic countries are hawks and spend a lot of their gdp on defense, but their populations and gdps are small, so they don't have lots of troops or equipment.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

No, this is not a joke.

He also loving loves wrestling, Mario Party, and subjecting his friends to extremely lovely games that they also dress up to

An extremely interesting soul, IMO.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

khwarezm posted:

So what if Ireland banned English? You put it well yourself, it doesnt need repeating. The rulers of russia and sadly my homeland Belarus are so detached from reality that teir populations are massively loving off, i wish I could too

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

khwarezm posted:

Yes.
And then England would invade, ban all Irish language, set up schools to teach english revisionist history and deleting ireland from history, send anyone who has or potentially could harbour non pro-British viewpoints to torture chambers and then send them to death camps along with their families, randomly pick a certain % of the population to be loaded onto prison husks and send them to the north of Greenland, replace them and fill their homes with pro British people. And in the end they claim people of Ireland are happy and thankful.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

haddedam posted:

Yes.
And then England would invade, ban all Irish language, set up schools to teach english revisionist history and deleting ireland from history, send anyone who has or potentially could harbour non pro-British viewpoints to torture chambers and then send them to death camps along with their families, randomly pick a certain % of the population to be loaded onto prison husks and send them to the north of Greenland, replace them and fill their homes with pro British people. And in the end they claim people of Ireland are happy and thankful.

Sounds far-fetched.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

haddedam posted:

Yes.

We are certainly having a laugh at Brexit, despite all the handwringers saying we are doing no such thing.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

haddedam posted:

Yes.

"Was the potato famine justified? A reexamining of NATO-nazi-irishist nationalist aggression against the noble English people in the 19th century" by A. Tankie

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

If you wish to learn how to destroy a society and language then you will be off to a good start with the English in Ireland. :shrug:

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Just Another Lurker posted:

If you wish to learn how to destroy a society and language then you will be off to a good start with the English in Ireland. :shrug:

Yeah its always been the sandbox for oppression.
Without flying miles off topic this popped up on BBC and amuses me: The 'banned' Star Trek episode that promised a united Ireland. Commander Data was a ra man. Only 9 months left, irish goons, pull the finger out.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

khwarezm posted:

*rummages around in grab-bag conflict history for to stir up revolt and create sympathy for my lovely war*

"Imagine Ireland and England"

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Waffle House posted:

*rummages around in grab-bag conflict history for to stir up revolt and create sympathy for my lovely war*

*Ponders Russia and its 11 time zones versus Ireland and the leader of our country is 7 minutes walk away while a retired IRA commandant is 4 minutes walk away*

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

"Was the potato famine justified? A reexamining of NATO-nazi-irishist nationalist aggression against the noble English people in the 19th century" by A. Tankie

Me, the standing in sub chairman of the online revolutionary council of Wigan and no to to the Tesco car park alliance: :shuckyes:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I love how oblivious those attempts to conflate language and nationality are. They just don't get that most of the world is not on board with pan-slavism or similar ideas. Like, how is this supposed to appeal to anyone in Europe? Austria, Switzerland and Luxembourg speak German. Italy, Romania and France have German speaking minorities. Does that give Germany the moral right to interfere in internal French, Italian or Swiss affairs? Are they making an argument that it should have that right? And Europe is all like that. Belgium speaks French and Dutch. Finland has a Swedish speaking minority. The Balkan has their whole serbo-croatian thing going on, etc.

And it's even worse outside of Europe. Brazil speaks Portuguese and the rest of SA speaks Spanish. The US and Canada speak English. The Middle East has Arabic. Huge parts of Africa speak either French or English. Australia speaks English. etc. Almost nobody is gonna be very receptive to those ideas.

e: Ok, I guess it does appeal to Hungary since they do have some pan-hungarianism going on. Also Serbia. But none of the cool countries do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Waffle House posted:

"Also I'm consciously stating that we are England in this analogy"