Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
You fool, you moron. Poor countries is where your phone comes from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
"Fracturing Antarctic glacier breaks 80 mph speed record

The Pine Island glacier formed a 6.5-mile-long crack at 80 mph, proving to scientists that some glaciers can shatter like glass."

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

4d3d3d posted:

The Pine Island glacier formed a 6.5-mile-long crack at 80 mph, proving to scientists that some glaciers can shatter like glass."

when this baby hits 88mph you’re gonna see some serious poo poo

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
maybe if we paint the sun white

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023

mags posted:

maybe if we paint the sun white

Already started

https://x.com/naomirwolf/status/1763731345929314626?s=20

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

4d3d3d posted:

excuse me

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The crack was faster than expected

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Bad
https://twitter.com/ScottDuncanWX/status/1764254749925204257

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
at 100 mph it pings

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Holy poo poo

At this point Europe is almost hoping for the AMOC to collapse lmao, good luck this summer

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Getting closer to 1 year of records

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Microplastics posted:

You fool, you moron. Poor countries is where your phone comes from

my phone came from the store, which is indoors (thereby being economically unaffected by climate change)

:buddy:

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

TeenageArchipelago posted:

*split second horrific vision of the future a year from now when the line is up by the same amount over this year that it currently is vs last year*

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Record breaking century

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I know this isn't a revelation or anything, but it's slowly occurring to me that a big part of the problem is that policy doesn't and can't happen on graphs. If you made policy based on graphs, you could look at an existentially terrifying line and say "oh, we need to do something" and then do it. But you can't. Useful policy can't really happen because of capital's death drive anyway, but even without that, we'd only respond to the real world events that occur after the graph has already done its thing and moved on to new and horrifying heights.

All these graphs are just climate change doing a little victory lap. It's saying look at me, I've already killed you, and by the time most people are scared, I'll have already found an even newer and more exciting way to kill more people.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Surely if the sun were white when I was a child I would have used the white crayon to draw the white sun on the white paper. But I used yellow, clearly an accurate record of reality

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Commercial jet flights have doubled since 2000? Holy poo poo we are so hosed lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I mean yeah. I feel like it's fairly hard to overstate the growth-driven nature of every aspect of society. Everything is more since 2000 and it all uses incredible amounts of energy.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

Car Hater posted:

*split second horrific vision of the future a year from now when the line is up by the same amount over this year that it currently is vs last year*

lmao we're hosed

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I like that little blip at the top of the graph where COVID happened because that's the scale of the reduction in energy usage that caused a permanent bourgeoisie psychotic break

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Car Hater posted:

preferring to think of it as liberation

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Oldest Man posted:

I like that little blip at the top of the graph where COVID happened because that's the scale of the reduction in energy usage that caused a permanent bourgeoisie psychotic break

haha

HAHAHAHAHA

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Erghh posted:

preferring to think of it as liberation

Liberating me from this mortal plane roflmao

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Car Hater posted:

I'm thinking a lot more the next year, hitting those positive feedback loops and it goes exponential

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Car Hater posted:

Liberating me from this mortal plane roflmao

:hf:

but yeah, that's an obscene of heat energy building up in the ocean. like goddamn this train has no brakes lol lmao

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

theres about to be a lot more ocean to spread it out. nature is healing

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

I'm really curious about how cold it would get in North America and how long that would last if the AMOC collapses.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rectal Death Alert posted:

I'm really curious about how cold it would get in North America and how long that would last if the AMOC collapses.

better than europe for sure

mags
May 30, 2008

it could balance out. time to invest in some future ski resorts

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

The Oldest Man posted:

Lol

So you know how the michelin stars were based off "how the gently caress can we sell more tires we should put out a book that has food recommendations" because they're not just selling tires they're selling freedom of travel to random towns.

In a world with no cars again and barely any trains it would be a loving apocalypse for the middling-rich. Can anyone seriously imagine the reactions if fuel ever had to be rationed or if it was $40 a gallon? $400? They'd be baying for blood. You couldn't get cheap garbage delivered, even. Amazon would collapse along with its namesake.

Any country that planned ahead for this could actually consider playing the psycho realpolitik card and letting the liberals riot to death, but idk how well that would work tbh

Not to mention your average just getting by rear end in a top hat who's pretty much already dead

How would you even shepherd a society through the changes needed to get down to 70s emissions? 60s? 30s? How do you get off the sauce, seriously?

SniperWoreConverse has issued a correction as of 20:29 on Mar 3, 2024

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

About as cold as the 90's, about as long as the 90's

Source: my unfailingly validated pessimism

e; offer only applies to the northeast portion, florida cooks like a crawfish boil almost immediately

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Lol

So you know how the michelin stars were based off "how the gently caress can we sell more tires we should put out a book that has food recommendations" because they're not just selling tires they're selling freedom of travel to random towns.

In a world with no cars again and barely any trains it would be a loving apocalypse for the middling-rich. Can anyone seriously imagine the reactions if fuel ever had to be rationed or if it was $40 a gallon? $400? They'd be baying for blood. You couldn't get cheap garbage delivered, even. Amazon would collapse along with its namesake.

Any country that planned ahead for this could actually consider playing the psycho realpolitik card and letting the liberals riot to death, but idk how well that would work tbh

Not to mention your average just getting by rear end in a top hat who's pretty much already dead

How would you even shepherd a society through the changes needed to get down to 70s emissions? 60s? 30s? How do you get off the sauce, seriously?

Step one is switching all new car sales to electric by 2045

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

TeenageArchipelago posted:

We're saved!!!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

It's the same problem reformers have on the international level - how do you not get couped by the CIA or regime changed by the USN when you do {thing} that would make wealthy westerners less powerful in your nation?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

RandomBlue posted:

We're saved!!!

I knew it! I fuckin' told you, bro!

Loada pessimists wanting doom. Well, how the turn tables.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

mags
May 30, 2008

RandomBlue posted:

We're saved!!!

close the thread

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Slowly, then suddenly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.