Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

On the boss that turns your jokers face down and shuffles them you can still reposition your jokers. Watch after your first hand and it'll tell you which joker is adding what so you can re arrange them back to better positions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Well I just discovered the joy of Faceless paired with Pareidolia on the Checkered Deck.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

DNA + that one joker that gives you a free Seal card at the start of every round is pretty busted. you get swamped with Tarots and Planets once you get going. I lost because I was playing it extra sloppy but it was my best and most fun run yet

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Nemo2342 posted:

Well I just discovered the joy of Faceless paired with Pareidolia on the Checkered Deck.

This with Scary Face took me really far, but eventually I had to ditch Faceless because even with 1.5 Mult from Polychrome I was worried it wouldn't carry me to the finish line.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Both my good attempts to finish this first challenge have ended with ante 8 and the arm

I check my most played jokers and the egg now has 10x more plays than anything else

gently caress you egg

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Jossar posted:

Whoops, quote is not edit, uh....

Did you know that according to Steam, more people have beaten Gold Stakes than completed the Collection or played a Flush with five Wild Cards?

Considering I'm lucky to get 5 wild cards within 10 antes and have beaten gold stakes, I can believe it :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

GoutPatrol posted:

Both my good attempts to finish this first challenge have ended with ante 8 and the arm

I check my most played jokers and the egg now has 10x more plays than anything else

gently caress you egg

I won on mine (got a swashbuckler to be buffed by those eggs) but yeah: it's way up there. Hopefully playing more will reduce their outsized effect. Though I laughed when I got a foil eternal egg in the store.

Also I feel really dumb when I realized I could have organized my cards better. Won Black Stake on checkered deck with Blueprint, The Family (2x for a flush), Constellation, Brainstorm (and Perkeo in the 5th slot disabling bosses). If I had organized it to be Family, Constellation, Blueprint, Brainstorm I would have had 4x mult on Constellation's growing +mult. :negative:

I mean I won, but I might have been able to at least get closer to ante 12.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Well, that's Cruelty done this morning. People have been saying it, but yeah, these final three challenges are brutal and even if you know what you're doing you have to get really lucky in order to win. And this still seemed like it was the easiest of the three!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Gott in Himmel. :staredog::staredog::staredog:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
So for PS5 goons just to reiterate to people

You can use the right stick as a mouse cursor
When you’ve selected a card you can use the left stick as the mouse cursor

Also
You can and should arrange the order of cards that are being counted

You can rearrange the cards in your hand (as in if you have bonus or steel cards that proc while not played the order they appear in your hand is important too)

You can rearrange the order of jokers

(You can in some cases if you’re fast enough rearrange the jokers while the cards are being counted, though I haven’t found a good use case for this)

You can use tarot cards to peek face down cards when they activate

You can sort hand rank and suit to attempt to divine what face down cards are too

Post sponsored by the “I can’t beat the black deck” gang

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Oh gently caress, I only just twigged that the boss that downgrades the rank of your played hand does so permanently. That's nasty! Totally kiboshed a very promising run.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Love when the ante 8 boss is that one disables jokers. Went for 40k a play to like 3k

BALATRO :kingsley::kingsley:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Aipsh posted:

Love when the ante 8 boss is that one disables jokers. Went for 40k a play to like 3k

BALATRO :kingsley::kingsley:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Jossar posted:

Whoops, quote is not edit, uh....

Did you know that according to Steam, more people have beaten Gold Stakes than completed the Collection or played a Flush with five Wild Cards?

I'm one of those people! I'm missing two legendary jokers and flush five is the last planet card I need to finish that one out.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Pipski posted:

Oh gently caress, I only just twigged that the boss that downgrades the rank of your played hand does so permanently. That's nasty! Totally kiboshed a very promising run.

The Arm is why I always beeline for disabling boss blinds asap

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pipski posted:

I didn't realize that either, argh

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Threaded the Golden Needle! I had a real moment of questioning myself as to whether to transition from a Flush build to a Full House/Four of a Kind build, but as you can see, it clearly paid off.

That just leaves Jokerless. Well, might as well see this through to the end...

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Finally managed to finish my first Gold Stake run with just some good, fundament Balatro. Chips, multiplier, and multiplier multiplier. This also ended up being my first real High Card run. I don't hear anyone talking about Card Sharp as being one of the better Jokers, but it's always performed very well for me in any deck that can play the same hand consistently.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Wild Card was not as good for Flower Pot as I thoight it woukd be. Looks like it counts as any onecolor, but not every color at once. Which is weird because i'm pretty sure it still triggered Rough Gem every time

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Flower Pot + Smeared Joker would be a good combo.

Min 1 red + black and you're golden

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Card Sharp is a great way to summon the needle as one of your late bosses

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I finally beat my first run. I moved so many cards.

The joker that does 1.5x mult for every uncommon joker you have, plus a Constellation I pumped the poo poo out of plus Negative to fit a sixth uncommon in there worked out real good.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Squiggle posted:

I finally beat my first run. I moved so many cards.

The joker that does 1.5x mult for every uncommon joker you have, plus a Constellation I pumped the poo poo out of plus Negative to fit a sixth uncommon in there worked out real good.

Wish I could give posters nicknames that appeared just for me. You’d be “Card Mover”.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Being able to move the duplicate joker is really sick

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

YES

https://i.imgur.com/RMtkXGm.mp4

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Am I wrong in thinking blueprint should be on mime?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

No Wave posted:

Am I wrong in thinking blueprint should be on mime?

I tried that and it seemed worse but now that I actually did the math, you're absolutely right :negative:

Either way, my goal was to go above 100 million so I'm okay with this. I'm finally free to keep climbing antes instead of playing on white stakes.

Elman fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 3, 2024

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

smh shoulda had Seltzer

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

:discourse:

Very spicy.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Seltzer is appropriately balanced considering what its ability is, and that's why I hate getting it and will only do so as a gap joker early in the run

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Seltzer is appropriately balanced considering what its ability is, and that's why I hate getting it and will only do so as a gap joker early in the run

It's a decent run starter joker, not as good as Gros Michel or Popcorn. Unlike those two it can be used to salvage a run and make it hobble past ante 8 if you happen to have no money and garbage jokers but a lot of special cards. I made it happen a couple of times.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

People who've beaten orange stake with yellow deck: what's your loving secret? Every time I get a halfway decent build going I run into the boss I absolutely don't want with no chance of rerolling or disabling beforehand and I just get poo poo on. I try to do a super specific build and i get poo poo on. I try to go wide with scaling jokers and get poo poo on. I'm starting to get really frustrated lmao

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
15 Minute City: We will give you eternal jokers that cannot be destroyed under any circumstances and then fill your deck with face cards! How will you handle this trial?! How?! HOOOOOOOW?!

Me: lol. just lmao.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

TaurusTorus posted:

I think to do list should rarely require a 5 flush or flush house, just to gently caress with people.

It does. But you have to have played the hand at least once at any point during the run.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

On the boss that turns your jokers face down and shuffles them you can still reposition your jokers. Watch after your first hand and it'll tell you which joker is adding what so you can re arrange them back to better positions

I was helping my friend play a game last night (he won with shortcut and four finger and had crazy easy straights) and this was the final boss. While it was easy to find and put back 2 of his score jokers we didn't get the blueprint in place until the last hand.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Off topic, but it feels stupid to PM someone over something so trivial: Is your avatar from something, or is it a custom? I like that style of animation. Very reminiscent of Crawl.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Color Printer posted:

People who've beaten orange stake with yellow deck: what's your loving secret? Every time I get a halfway decent build going I run into the boss I absolutely don't want with no chance of rerolling or disabling beforehand and I just get poo poo on. I try to do a super specific build and i get poo poo on. I try to go wide with scaling jokers and get poo poo on. I'm starting to get really frustrated lmao

Reroll until you get a tag worth skipping either the first small or big blind for. Coupon, investment, and the money doubler are real winners. Prioritize a source of infinite scaling. You'll want a way to charge up chips, mult, and/or xmult. Green joker, wee joker, ride the bus, constellation, throwback, hologram, these are the sorts of things you need to find as early as you can.

The vast majority of your time will be spent rerolling until you finish ante 2 with something that you can build the rest of the run around. You'll have a pretty good idea of how good your odds are around ante 3. If you hit 4 or 5 and are just barely scraping by you're likely not gonna make it.

Yellow deck is the only one I've taken to a gold stake victory so far, but it took so much rerolling to get there.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Regarding the wonkyness of the stakes system, a curse system like in goon favourite android game Slice & Dice would be perfect.

Select a malus at the start of the game, then if you're playing at low stakes choose a new malus every odd ante. If you're at high stakes you get a curse every ante. From orange and up there are special curses just for masochists.

It would be so much fun!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Eternal Jokers can actually be beneficial at times, so introducing those halfway up the stake ladder is a weird choice. I wouldn't mind black and red stake swapping places, especially with no reward from small blind making it so incentivized to skip the first blind every single time on ante 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

There should be a spectral card that you can use to make a joker eternal

Does eternal prevent popcorn depleting or does it get to 0 and just sit there forever at 0