Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

mllaneza posted:

Assigned at birth is the issue. Someone described as MTF is being described as having spent some part of their life as the "wrong" gender. Describing them as AMAB implies that society got it wrong, not that they were being the wrong gender. It's subtle.

I'm doing terminology practice here, let me know if I got that wrong.

That seems pretty correct. Saying mtf or ftm also implicitly excludes nb people from gender and transgender spaces. Like my spouse was afab and is trans but certainly doesn't identify as a man, trans or otherwise. It's important to have terminology that welcomes people who looked at the existing gender binary in their culture and said "welp, not for me, but thanks".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Most Power Alex posted:

Animes is just a shortened form of animation, the Japanese use it to refer to all cartoons. Want to tell this guy that The Simpsons is the best anime.

Shut your whore mouth!

Bananas in Pajamas is the best anime!

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's not really the kids that are the problem. I let my neighbors kids gently caress around in my front yard and a couple months later their parents decided that meant it was now common-law their property and put a fence around it while we were out. when that didn't fly they started doing poo poo like calling the cops to try to get em to come shoot our dog all the time, which also hasn't worked out for them so far but I kinda wish I'd chased off those kids to begin with

Yikes. That sucks, man.

They put a fence around YOUR yard? Did they intend to keep you out of it?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

that was the idea yeah

there's a reason there's a recurring trend of stories just like that online, lotta people and apparently parents of small children in particular are fuckin psycho and if you let them touch your poo poo you're always running the risk they will decide that actually it is their poo poo that you are taking from them somehow, and devote their apparently limitless supply of free time to loving with you over it until one or both of you dies

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Is there some ancillary benefit to having like 12 people say "you are indeed the rear end in a top hat, do not gatekeep trans people from this space" that I'm missing?

some people just like being lovely about trans women in particular.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

it's not really the kids that are the problem. I let my neighbors kids gently caress around in my front yard and a couple months later their parents decided that meant it was now common-law their property and put a fence around it while we were out. when that didn't fly they started doing poo poo like calling the cops to try to get em to come shoot our dog all the time, which also hasn't worked out for them so far but I kinda wish I'd chased off those kids to begin with

I feel compelled to point out that your case does not seem to be a typical situation. While sometimes tensions can be smoothed over with a six pack of beer and a friendly hello, in your case I think more extreme measures may be necessary.

your first step will be to establish air superiority . That will allow you to protect your ground assets such as your home, family, vehicles and pets. Aerial assets can also play a critical role in surveillance, alerting you to potential threats before they escalate.

I want to stress at this point that you want your aerial assets to strictly obey the boundary lines between you and your neighbor's property. Once tensions have escalated to this level, an incursion into your neighbor's airspace, however unintentional, may be interpreted as an act of aggression.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

AITA for putting child-proof locks on the stove to stop my adult sister from using it?

quote:

I (f19) live with my stepsister Nicole (f20). We live together in a small two bedroom apartment whilst we both attend the same college. Our hometown is a small rural area that's around a 3 hour drive away.

My dad married Nicole's mother around 11 years ago. Nicole and I know each other pretty well and have spent a lot of time together. We haven't always gotten along (which siblings have?) but we do consider each other sisters.

Anyway, onto the story.

So me and Nicole both got sick of dorms and moved in together around two months ago.

Back at home, Nicole never cooked for herself (not beyond microwave meals, anyway) and now that we're both supposed to be living independently, she's started cooking.

Nicole keeps "forgetting" to turn off the stove or oven when she's finished with them. At one point, this nearly caused a full-blown house fire when she forgot about the stove whilst a paper plate of hers had been left on top of it.

I kept gently reminding Nicole to turn off the oven/stove when she's done with them but she just doesn't seem to listen. I even tried putting sticky notes around the kitchen to try to remind her.

Eventually, Nicole got irritated with the reminders and told me I'm treating her like a child. I said I'm sorry if it came off that way but she needs to remember.

The problem has just kept persisting and a near miss with a house fire happened again when Nicole forgot about the stove, and she didn't hear the smoke detector because she was blasting music on her airpods. Luckily I noticed it and was able to put it out.

I tried to have a talk with Nicole and told her this needs to stop. Nicole just got mad before I could even suggest anything and told me to get off her case. She said I'm overreacting and that she "can handle it". She refused to listen to anything I had to say and kept talking over me.

This has started to make me really anxious, especially when Nicole is home whilst I'm out.

I bought some plastic child locks for the knobs that control the stove and oven, and I placed them on there. I know Nicole can't open child-proof stuff.

This way, she can't use the stove or oven when I'm out of the home. When I'm home, I can make sure nothing bad happens. Me and Nicole have similar class schedules so this shouldn't inconvenience her too much.

Nicole went apeshit when she noticed them, and started screaming at me and told me I'm a control freak and bullying her. I yelled back at her and told her I wouldn't be doing it if she could act like a responsible adult. Nicole called me a bitch and said I have no business controlling when she gets to cook.

She's now gone to a friend's place and has blocked my phone number. My dad and stepmother got concerned after getting texts off Nicole and they keep messaging me about it, telling me I need to get Nicole to come back.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Yes, apparently Nicole is foiled by childproof locks. Commenters point out that this is incredibly concerning and a serious talk needs to be had about that with the parents as well as the setting poo poo on fire twice thing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DeeplyConcerned posted:

I feel compelled to point out that your case does not seem to be a typical situation. While sometimes tensions can be smoothed over with a six pack of beer and a friendly hello, in your case I think more extreme measures may be necessary.

your first step will be to establish air superiority . That will allow you to protect your ground assets such as your home, family, vehicles and pets. Aerial assets can also play a critical role in surveillance, alerting you to potential threats before they escalate.

I want to stress at this point that you want your aerial assets to strictly obey the boundary lines between you and your neighbor's property. Once tensions have escalated to this level, an incursion into your neighbor's airspace, however unintentional, may be interpreted as an act of aggression.
I don't think they play chess.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I always want stories like this to end with "and as part of sentencing they were required to explain exactly what their problem was."

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Mar 3, 2024

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Runcible Cat posted:

AITA for putting child-proof locks on the stove to stop my adult sister from using it?

Yes, apparently Nicole is foiled by childproof locks. Commenters point out that this is incredibly concerning and a serious talk needs to be had about that with the parents as well as the setting poo poo on fire twice thing.

Yeah, this is either ADHD or something like it; I'm in a similar situation, except where OP's sister forgets if she's left the stove on, I tend to forget if I've turned it off, and it's become a somewhat regular ritual where I cook food, bring it to my table, then hurry back to the stove to check if it's off- and then do it again 5-10 minutes later :(

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've forgotten turn the frypan off twice in my life. With a good decade between each time.

I am now insanely paranoid to the point I turn it off at the wall, remove the cord and hang it on a hook on the pantry door on the other side of the kitchen.

And have a whole routine of physically pointing at the frypan and cord and saying, "frypan is unplugged. Cord is hung up. It's okay to leave."

Yes, I do have OCD but this quirk I'm happy to keep because I don't want to burn my house down.

How anyone can almost do that and not care is beyond me.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I feel like all myself and my ADHD friends were the ones that figured out how to open child safe locks while they were still children tho

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Years ago, my father decided he was going to clean the deep fat fryer. The fat was kind of congealed, so he turned it on on low to melt.
OK, fine.
For some reason, he thought it was a good idea to do this in a sort of shed-area that is literally under the house. Then he went off and forgot about it.
I found it several hours later as I was coming up the front steps, and only because I got a whiff of hot cooking oil and went to investigate.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Some people just find the concept of consequences to their actions foreign and drift through life vaguely on vibes.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Some people just find the concept of consequences to their actions foreign and drift through life vaguely on vibes.
I suggest breaking their legs. Here's some goddamn consequences.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I think my ”husband’s” mistress thinks he is richer than he actually is. My best friend thinks I am a douche because I am keeping silent

quote:

Husband in “” because we are not married legally. Throwaway. Please let me vent here!

He:39 Me:39 Mistress:29 Best friend:39

We have been together for 14 years. Living together for 11. He came and told me that he was in love about 3 weeks ago. I was surprised at the lack of fucks I had to give at receiving such information. I did love him but maybe my love has always been conditional and its survival depends on it being reciprocated because it literally vanished the second he confessed to me that he was in love with another woman. He didn’t want a separation but to maybe open the relationship or let his feelings for her subside. I said it was over. It was like I never had feelings for him ever. He was taken aback by my indifference which I thought: the audacity! Did he want me to be hurt and suffer? I told him that he should be relieved that he didn’t cause pain. Instead, he has been sulking since.

Last Friday I got home and mistress was there. Sitting in my kitchen sipping my tea. I felt nauseous because seriously? I told them that this wasn’t civil at all and to never be in my home again or I would call the cops. I went to my room and I heard her yelling at him for not standing up for her. Then I heard her say something very curious: why haven’t you kicked her out yet. He was trying to tell her to lower her voice whispering: later! we can discuss this later! She left and he came to me apologizing. He said: We didn’t have sex here if this is what you are scared of. She just dropped by because I was working from home today. I told him that he had until the end of March to move out and to find somewhere to be during the weekends. This morning I changed all the locks. From now on he isn’t allowed in my place during my working hours so if he starts later or finishes earlier, we he needs to wait for me to come home and let him in.

But his mistress’s words stuck with me so during the weekend I have been stalking her social media. I think she thinks that he is rich. Or at least that he owns my apartment. I think she also thinks that my parent’s summer house and boat are his. Unfortunately the loser has taken her there, probably bragging about his wealth because her hashtags were all about TheGoodLife.

I was telling my best friend all of this but she was more agitated than indignant on my behalf. She told me that he was a scum not telling mistress the truth. I agreed:IKR?! But then she said I was no better not explaining to her his situation either. I was dumbfounded but she was serious. I told her that it wasn’t my job to bring back mistress to earth. My best friend got very angry and demanded that I gave her mistress’s username so that she could warn her. NO! I said. She called me: A bigger douche than he is then!

I don’t know what’s going on with these people. Have they gone mad or have I ? When did our moral compass go askew like this? Can someone tell me that I am not insane?

Update; no surprises:

quote:

I did it. I had a showdown with my former best friend via text and I confronted her about her nonexistent support when I went to her with my woes. I told her that she concentrated on the wrong issue. She should have been my shoulder to cry in. She should have shown up with wine, ice cream and a shovel but instead, she called me a bigger douche than my husband. She tried to gaslight me and I realized that she’s always been a good gaslighter so I interrupted her before she made me out to be the villain. I asked her bluntly, was (her husband’s name) married when you started sleeping together? You told us that he was married before, we all knew that but we all were under the impression that he was married and divorced before you two met but was he still married? Is that why you related to the mistress and felt sympathy for her? Because you were her? She didn’t answer me until next day to call me a bitter and jealous bitch. Wow!

This was the last one on one interaction with her I have decided. She’s been my friend since preschool but now we need to go our separate ways not only to save us from future hurt but also to save our memories together from hurt.

I talked to my husband too and asked him not to make the separation difficult and bitter that it ruins all the happiness we felt being together because we cannot think back on 1/3 of our lives with resentment. I asked him to take my dad’s offer (he offered to help him find a lease on an apartment and pay 1/2 years rent if he moved out without giving me problems. When I got home, he and his clothes were gone. He left an apology letter saying that he will always love me and never meant to hurt me.

So I have finally been able to cry my eyes out and it felt so good. I have been crying since I got home. I lost two of my closest people but this is what happens when we hit hardships, we see people’s true faces.

This is my update. I don’t know if anything major will happen to make more updates. It is time for me to move on.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I haven’t had a good night sleep a whole year since I cheated on my wife

quote:

I(m40) cheated on my wife (f40) and she found out about it. She wanted a divorce at first but I begged her to stay. She is the love of my life and I can’t live without her. I cheated on her because I was selfish and so stupid. After a few months of therapy and counseling, she took me back but she said that cheating wasn’t an achievement. I wasn’t someone special to find someone to sleep with me, and the girl wasn’t special for “stealing” a married man and she will prove that to me. She will cheat on me and I will never find out if she didn’t want me to. It could come when I am at my happiest and most smug self. Anytime she would be late at work or have a girls night out. Or visit her mother or take an extra long workout session at the gym. Every time I will see her smile and content I will never know why. Anytime I touched her I would never know who touched her before me. Every time she turned me down I wouldn’t know if it was because she really was tired or just satisfied. I will never know how, when or where. I will never known with whom. Maybe someone very random, older, younger, more handsome. Maybe someone close to me. That or I could just leave her.

I haven’t had a good night sleep since she told me this. I know I deserve it but I just can’t stop hurting like I am losing my mind soon because of this pain.

:qq:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Runcible Cat posted:

I think my ”husband’s” mistress thinks he is richer than he actually is. My best friend thinks I am a douche because I am keeping silent

Update; no surprises:

Pete got a new vertebra today and has no idea why

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Runcible Cat posted:

lmao

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Runcible Cat posted:

hahahaha

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Runcible Cat posted:

Oooofffft. I like her.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
That's right cheater time to enter the hell of your own making. H-e-double hockey sticks! May cause insomnia.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’ve been dealing with some personal poo poo so I apologize for not dealing with this immediately. I know sometimes it can be difficult to identify transphobic bait stories, that’s understandable. But the correct choice is to listen to the posters in this thread that are telling you that what you posted is indeed bait, especially when many of them are trans, non-binary, etc. themselves, and perhaps edit it out. The incorrect choice is to insist everyone else is wrong and it’s not that big of a deal and who cares?

EDIT: Also, please PM me and/or use the Report button when poo poo goes down. If I’m unavailable at least one of the other IKs or mods can step in.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 3, 2024

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

some people just like being lovely about trans women in particular.

And pitting trans women and trans men against each other. It sucks. (I'm a trans man and have not found the "equipment" mismatch to be a problem when playing TTRPGs with trans women. Or anyone, really.)

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

the correct choice is to listen to the posters in this thread that are telling you that what you posted is indeed bait, especially when many of them are trans, non-binary, etc. themselves, and perhaps edit it out. The incorrect choice is to insist everyone else is wrong and it’s not that big of a deal and who cares?

:hmmyes:

mycelia posted:

And pitting trans women and trans men against each other. It sucks. (I'm a trans man and have not found the "equipment" mismatch to be a problem when playing TTRPGs with trans women. Or anyone, really.)

I know it's beating a bait horse at this point but I just like talking about dnd.

The only time someone is bad for a group is a playstyle sorta mismatch. Like that guy I played with a few times that only wanted to try and be funny every turn like "haha i throw poop" he wouldn't drop the disruptive stuff so we stopped inviting him. Or the time someone brought their gf to play for a few weeks and she clearly didn't want to be there at all, wouldn't listen or pay attention every single turn. She just stopped showing up eventually.

Some groups like to get into character and be serious, some are laid back and more of an excuse to eat chips and drink with friends. Some are small some are big some are just full. There's a group for everybody but beyond that sorta thing I can't imagine a reason to exclude someone. Certainly not genitals.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Runcible Cat posted:

Y'know what? She's drinking from the same poison chalice. She should just dump the fuckwit and move on with her life, because "reconciling" while spewing poison into her own relationship sounds utterly miserable.

I'm sure that impressive little speech felt good to deliver, and he richly deserves the bad feelings and all, but why does she want to stay in a relationship with rot like that at its core?

Move on and be free, lady.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Silly Newbie posted:

That seems pretty correct. Saying mtf or ftm also implicitly excludes nb people from gender and transgender spaces. Like my spouse was afab and is trans but certainly doesn't identify as a man, trans or otherwise. It's important to have terminology that welcomes people who looked at the existing gender binary in their culture and said "welp, not for me, but thanks".
I think nonbinary people who want to use that type of three letter abbreviation use mtx or ftx so while it may be bad terminology for other philosophical reasons I don't think it's correct to say that it excludes nonbinary people.

Also with regard to how this originally came up, there seemvto be lots of trans zoomers using this type of abbreviation in posts in the subs people are reposting here, so while I can't know if the posts are real, I'm not sure I would assume a post is fake just because someone is usually these abbreviations to refer to themself even if other trans people dislike these abbreviations.

mystes fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 3, 2024

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

mystes posted:

I think nonbinary people who want to use that type of three letter abbreviation use mtx or ftx so while it may be bad terminology for other philosophical reasons I don't think it's correct to say that it excludes nonbinary people.

Also with regard to how this originally came up, there seemvto be lots of trans zoomers using this type of abbreviation in posts in the subs people are reposting here, so while I can't know if the posts are real, I'm not sure I would assume a post is fake just because someone is usually these abbreviations to refer to themself even if other trans people dislike these abbreviations.

I would also agree just because you don't like a certain pronoun formula doesn't mean a post is fake on its own.
Plenty of other things in a post in addition to can definitely make it suspect though.

Before the dnd post there was an ftx (i think) post by a zoomer that didn't seem fake and more just... a 14yo that was very much a teen drama situation. But that post caused a lot of issues.
The dnd one on the other hand isn't suspect on its own because they say mtf but because of the entire rest of the post.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Mx. posted:

AITA for telling someone a show wasn't actually anime?

This would never have happened if the superior "Japanimation" had stuck instead of anime.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Runcible Cat posted:

Maybe she’s a seal and has flippers for hands

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Runcible Cat posted:

There she goes, ol' Two-Fires Nicole. Legend says she can't open the simplest of locks.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's alarming that she apparently isn't concerned that she's almost caused fires. I've forgotten that I had stuff cooking a few times when I was younger but I learned from that. She needs to be careful about setting a timer and/or staying in the kitchen if she's prone to that.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Can't open a childproof lock? Wouldn't that mean this person can't take their own medicine? That doesn't sound like someone who should be living unassisted in the first place.

E: This also reminds me that my grandma and grandpa lived with us for a while and had to have child locks on the stove nobs so grandma wouldn't burn the house down.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 3, 2024

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

big mean giraffe posted:

There is a pretty big difference between catching reruns on a channel full of oldies and binging something on a streaming service, sharing YouTube clips or compilations etc

This is huge. The ability to access cultural media from ages ago has completely changed in our lifetime. We very rarely watch live TV in our house when we can pull shows off the DVR or streaming services. We've had to explain why Star Trek seasons start with a recap of the season we just watched to our son. They don't have summer break re-runs anymore, and why would they? Seasons aren't "seasons" anymore. They are now basically just chapters in the show's story.

CommissarMega posted:

I've actually forgotten how long I've been on this hellsite.

Edit: 2008?! Holy poo poo I've been here one and a half decades, loving hell :gonk:

Points at 2001 reg date.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Also, no disasters on this page, I'm going to be the change. Who wants some :biotruths:?

AITA for discouraging my friend from joining DND?

Do they roll the dice with their penises or something? What happens if one of the other trans folk get bottom surgery?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

It's alarming that she apparently isn't concerned that she's almost caused fires. I've forgotten that I had stuff cooking a few times when I was younger but I learned from that. She needs to be careful about setting a timer and/or staying in the kitchen if she's prone to that.

I get the feeling that this girl isn't the sharpest pencil at the community college.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I once left my girlfriend's house in the middle of the night because I couldn't get it out of my head that I had left the stove on at my place and it was surely on fire by now.

I had turned it off, though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

DangerDongs posted:

I get the feeling that this girl isn't the sharpest pencil at the community college.
It's not a community college

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
To be fair, I guess, OP's sister is 20. A lot of young people are just extremely nonchalant about the potential consequences of their actions, right up to the point said consequences hit them in the face.

"You don't understand, if I don't pass this course then I won't have enough credits to stay in student housing!!!" "No I understand completely, I just can't give you a pass when you got 30% on the exam. It's just not a thing that I can do."

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shanghaied posted:

To be fair, I guess, OP's sister is 20. A lot of young people are just extremely nonchalant about the potential consequences of their actions, right up to the point said consequences hit them in the face.

"You don't understand, if I don't pass this course then I won't have enough credits to stay in student housing!!!" "No I understand completely, I just can't give you a pass when you got 30% on the exam. It's just not a thing that I can do."

yeah but what 20 year old can’t figure out a child lock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

It's not a community college

I don't think the girl who is incapable of cracking child-locks is going to Yale, unless there is a big surprise twist that there is a physical issue with her. If this is the case, childproofing the stove is kind of messed up, even if necessary for self-survival.
I say this as someone who went to community college. The price of admission was a pulse and a yes/no question if we could open childproof locks. They didn't even check to make sure if you actually answered truthfully.