Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Opopanax posted:

I started Chants of Sennaar tonight and stayed up way too late playing it. It checks off so many of my boxes
Wow, looks like it'll do the same for me. It's all about my favorite part of LING 101 lo these many moons ago. I'd never heard of it--thanks for mentioning it here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Samovar posted:

I want to like it, I really do, but I keep on not getting what symbols represent what gestures in the book I couldn't even get the word 'God' in the first level, because I kept thinking the game was asking for 'tower'.

I've been stumped a couple of times but I'm forcing myself to not look anything up and it all comes together eventually

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

SerthVarnee posted:

Now I'm going to assume that a good number of people here played Dungeon Keeper and found themselves entranced by the voice acting of the narrator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krGu-e_cWXc

I was too until a friend of mine showed me a clip of the French voice acting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4m72unCsOs&t=168s

And then suddenly the English version became very very underwhelming.

I was more surprised when I found out the english voice actor is the dad from Peppa Pig.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In SKyrim you have to clear a basement of pests, which seems like pretty standard rpg stuff. But poo poo suddenly escalates when you stumble across an insane wizard. The little thing about this is that you can confront the quest giver about why he didn't warn you about it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've only played through Skyrim beginning to end once, but I kept a little character diary for most of it.

That woman loving hated dwarven robots. And was very, very done with Nords asking her to go into some hole in the landscape to retrieve a gizmo.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SerthVarnee posted:

Now I'm going to assume that a good number of people here played Dungeon Keeper and found themselves entranced by the voice acting of the narrator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krGu-e_cWXc

I was too until a friend of mine showed me a clip of the French voice acting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4m72unCsOs&t=168s

And then suddenly the English version became very very underwhelming.

I wondered what theb33f's day job was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTlXw2qGB2w

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

aardwolf posted:

This means that a whole bunch of people presumably went so far as to purchase a RoboCop video game, successfully ticked "I want to vicariously roleplay as RoboCop shooting a guy in the dick" off their bucket list, and then immediately quit out of the software, satisfied with money well spent.

tl;dr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dGh7p1tZmk

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FFVII Rebirth is a game that knows exactly what people wanted from it.
(No plot spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oWU3MzSiTs

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

ImpAtom posted:

(No plot spoilers)

:perfect:

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Quadramind posted:

Witcher 3 is a million miles better in Polish

I played Witcher 1 in Polish and definitely liked it better than the English option.

I generally prefer subtitles for games (I always do subs for movies), but have had games (I think Code Vein might be one of them) that have plot conversations during fight scenes, which forced me to just go with dubbed so that I don't have to try to read the bottom of the screen while paying attention to the fight.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

(No plot spoilers)

This…this is just Cloud tripping balls and having a dream sequence, right? Please tell me it’s that, I’m trying to be a grown rear end man and not drop $570 to play one game.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Last Celebration posted:

This…this is just Cloud tripping balls and having a dream sequence, right? Please tell me it’s that, I’m trying to be a grown rear end man and not drop $570 to play one game.

There are rumors that it might get a PC release some time this year instead of the usual year+ it takes for PS5 games to make their way over. Can't say how credible those are but I'm hoping.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Last Celebration posted:

Red XIII is a playable party member in Final Fantasy VII who uses a variety of headdresses to enhance his fighting abilities, many of which enhance his Magic.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Unfortunately he is not, as I first thought, voiced by Paul Eiding.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Red XIII is a playable party member in Final Fantasy VII who uses a variety of headdresses to enhance his fighting abilities, many of which enhance his Magic.

I mean, I know that part, I just didn’t remember Red XIII moonwalking and generally being extra as hell to challenge Cloud Strife to a card game as the underdog dark horse challenger.

Marcade posted:

Unfortunately he is not, as I first thought, voiced by Paul Eiding.

He’s Ryuji from Persona 5, so still kind of a W imo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm just continously impressed and happy thay the FFVIIR team understand the assignment and that FFVII was goofy and cheesy as gently caress, rather than whatever the non-Crisis-Core spinoffs thought it was.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

I mean, I know that part, I just didn’t remember Red XIII moonwalking and generally being extra as hell to challenge Cloud Strife to a card game as the underdog dark horse challenger.

He’s Ryuji from Persona 5, so still kind of a W imo.

the remakes' expanded scope means red gets character beats outside of cosmo canyon, and it turns out his tryhard sagely persona can only be maintained in short bursts

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm just continously impressed and happy thay the FFVIIR team understand the assignment and that FFVII was goofy and cheesy as gently caress, rather than whatever the non-Crisis-Core spinoffs thought it was.

I went to check Tifa's room in the flashback, knowing they must have altered the original.

When you tell the party you looked at her stuff, Aerith and Tifa both chime in with a synchronized "Cloud, you rear end in a top hat!"

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

ImpAtom posted:

(No plot spoilers)

Oh man, when he hums the winning music theme.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

Red XIII ... as the underdog

:dadjoke:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Wish I actually was that clever, it was just a happy accident!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Last Celebration posted:

Wish I actually was that clever, it was just a happy accident!

Always take credit! Strike "pun not intended" from your vocabulary!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There's obviously a lot going in that clip (Barrett in a sailor suit, little robot guy, crying boy), but I'm most impressed with how the audio engineers nailed the effect of the announcer talking through a cheap sound system.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
FF7 Rebirth is always very aware that Cloud is lugging around a sword longer than he is tall. guy has to put it in the weapons equivalent of an umbrella stand whenever he sits down or tries to sleep

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I'll also add to the rebirth chat that the soundtrack is frankly incredible. There's grand remakes of the original themes, remixes of them with metal/dubstep/pop/whatever flavors, and then you reach golden saucer and get hit with an aerith - gp theme mashup . And during combat they all vary in intensity depending on what stage of a fight you're in

I'm not usually one that cares too much about the music of games but this one is just phenomenal

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
for a slightly more spoilery little thing, for all of the exuberant cartoonishness of rebirth's characters and dialogue, the line that's got me hooting and hollering the most at around 25 hours in was a simple: "huh?"

red xiii gets so taken aback at a certain point in costa del sol that he lets this one out, and while no one around him picks up on it, the way his voice cracks reveals that he's been putting on a growly batman voice the entire time he's been with the party

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

for a slightly more spoilery little thing, for all of the exuberant cartoonishness of rebirth's characters and dialogue, the line that's got me hooting and hollering the most at around 25 hours in was a simple: "huh?"

red xiii gets so taken aback at a certain point in costa del sol that he lets this one out, and while no one around him picks up on it, the way his voice cracks reveals that he's been putting on a growly batman voice the entire time he's been with the party

Related spoiler for the first time you spend the night at the inn in Junon.

There's a scene where you hear Aerith in her room talking to a "stranger" who sounds like a kid, only for Red to walk out.

It took me a couple of seconds, but I lost it once I realized that the "stranger" was Red talking in his actual voice, he's basically a dorkass teenager trying to come across like a wise old man and it only works because he's in a party with people like Barret and Cloud.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Pulsarcat posted:

There's a scene where you hear Aerith in her room talking to a "stranger" who sounds like a kid, only for Red to walk out.

It took me a couple of seconds, but I lost it once I realized that the "stranger" was Red talking in his actual voice, he's basically a dorkass teenager trying to come across like a wise old man and it only works because he's in a party with people like Barret and Cloud.

Haven't gotten there yet but that tracks with the original game

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
How long are the random encounter fights in rebirth? Are there a lot of them?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

ilmucche posted:

How long are the random encounter fights in rebirth? Are there a lot of them?

Enemies are physically in the world, you can see them and are avoidable if you don't want to fight

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Are there any JRPG's that still have completely random encounters? It seems like those have fallen out of favor and good riddance.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

1stGear posted:

Are there any JRPG's that still have completely random encounters? It seems like those have fallen out of favor and good riddance.

octopath traveler comes to mind

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Random encounters only work when the game offers a kind of abstraction. Something that looks as real as FF7R would feel weird if you couldn't see the enemy. If it's just some little sprite on a world map, there's tons of stuff you don't see and don't expect to see. One imagines your little sprite travels many miles in just one tile, and thus could encounter an enemy during that trek.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

credburn posted:

Random encounters only work when the game offers a kind of abstraction. Something that looks as real as FF7R would feel weird if you couldn't see the enemy. If it's just some little sprite on a world map, there's tons of stuff you don't see and don't expect to see. One imagines your little sprite travels many miles in just one tile, and thus could encounter an enemy during that trek.

or they just work because they always worked like that and it's part of the charm.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pulsarcat posted:

It's extra funny because Aerith has enough mystery stuff going on with her that if you're not paying attention you might assume that it is something to do with THE BIG OVERARCHING MYSTERY and nah, Red XIII just is comfortable enough to talk to her without tryharding.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The rock paper scissors emote in helldivers is fully functional

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

there's a high five emote and a "too slow" emote and they both have the exact same "interact with me to start a group emote" stance lol

but it doesn't matter because there's also a Hug

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I've been playing more Voices Of The Void recently, and I love the dev keeps adding more ways to personalize your base. Especially as the new experimental update replaced the old base building with one nearly twice the size to force you out into the corridors instead of just turning the main workroom into a fort. If the power goes out you now have to go down into the spooky basement to flip the breakers on, and the bed and kitchen are upstairs.

Of course, cleaning up the base and turning it from the trash-filled shithole you find it as into somewhere that actually feels like home is really satisfying.

Also, I still love how the game disables the pause menu when spooky poo poo is happening. Not only does it add some real tension when an event happens, especially if you don't know if it's something actually dangerous or you're just being pranked again, but it also gives you a subtle way of being able to tell when an event is over, because when the pause menu starts working again you know you're safe.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Continuing through the early MGS games, I just got to Snake Eater's opening (well, hour-in) credits, and that whole sequence is still cool as hell. The music's so good, I wish I could go back and be surprised by it when the game originally came out, I don't think I could've imagined a game going cinematic like that at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Captain Hygiene posted:

Continuing through the early MGS games, I just got to Snake Eater's opening (well, hour-in) credits, and that whole sequence is still cool as hell. The music's so good, I wish I could go back and be surprised by it when the game originally came out, I don't think I could've imagined a game going cinematic like that at the time.

I know this makes me sound like such a Kojima jerkoff dork but MGS3 was one of those experiences that changed how I looked at video games. I don't know how much influence it had on the industry itself, but when I think of my derpy rear end gaming through the years, there's games that I played before MGS3, and games I played after, and there is a distinct difference in how I think of them?