Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Check your video drivers and grab the latest from the maker,and not windows update. There is so much "per app" optimization now it's nuts and if something changes then weirdness like that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Has anyone tried upgrading to pro with a laptop that has a key built in to the BIOS? Does it even work? Is it a one use only kinda thing, like I'd have to buy another key if I ever had to reformat?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Most keys aren't in the BIOS since windows 7. Windows 10 and 11 activate your hardware ID on a server and will reactivate the same hardware as long as there haven't been too many changes to the hardware.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Using a cheap greymarket key to upgrade a laptop that came with Home to Pro may need to follow these instructions.

The key is not one use only, you can use it on the same machine after a reformat by going through the steps again.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Rexxed posted:

Most keys aren't in the BIOS since windows 7. Windows 10 and 11 activate your hardware ID on a server and will reactivate the same hardware as long as there haven't been too many changes to the hardware.
Key in bios was only a thing since Windows 8 and is still common practice in laptops. It's basically the replacement for the sticker with the OEM provided key, and it functions pretty much the same in that it can't be changed, moved or removed from the machine, and also it doesn't even need to be the key that is used to activate the install on the machine. It is a separate thing from the activation status. Activation status can be carried over from one install to the next on the same hardware solely based on a remotely stored hardware id since Windows 10.

I don't have a clue though what's going to take precedence when you do a fresh install on a machine that came with a home key in the bios that you upgraded to pro in the past. You can always do the in place upgrade like what Klyith posted and neither key will disappear or be invalidated for future use.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

surely there's an easier way to do this

https://twitter.com/XenoPanther/status/1763984833263317265

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I dunno that seems reasonable to me

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

I've built both these kinds of things by just doing some simple shapes + math in UIs before, but the big difference is that I'm building them on top of Win32 and all the features it provides. I'm assuming the use case for this is for when you basically have nothing that is 'Windows' loaded and you still want to have something that looks animated, so you just use a font.

I actually think this is kinda clever!

And that's the first nice thing I've said about Windows in what has to be half a decade.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i was going to ask why they have a truetype rasterizer lying around during boot but then i remembered that bits of the windows GUI still live in the kernel lol

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

All Windows UI elements are fonts, and have been since Windows 95. Fonts give you scalability, fast draw speed, and are always available. There isn't an easier way that wouldn't end up replicating the font subsystem, so better to just use the existing code path. I'm more surprised people keep rediscovering this and thinking it's novel.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I can’t remember what the Win9x typeface was that had the controls (think it started with an M) but when it got corrupted it would look hilarious for all the _ 🔳 X buttons

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
[quotena ="repiv" post="538118431"]
surely there's an easier way to do this

https://twitter.com/XenoPanther/status/1763984833263317265
[/quote]

Seems ok, I mean, why not? Scales endlessly, doesn't take up much space. :shrug:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

repiv posted:

i was going to ask why they have a truetype rasterizer lying around during boot but then i remembered that bits of the windows GUI still live in the kernel lol

if you put a truetype system into the kernel you can have errors in whatever non-ascii languages without needing to bitmap the whole of UTF-8

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

e: Nvmd - misunderstood question

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Klyith posted:

if you put a truetype system into the kernel you can have errors in whatever non-ascii languages without needing to bitmap the whole of UTF-8

And not just errors, Windows displays status information on the boot splash screen in many instances as well (notably when installing updates, e.g., "Installing updates (50%)...") and all that is localized as well.

And the entire thing needs to scale to whatever resolution your pre-boot environment is running under.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I enjoy how pre boot environments still have old school resolutions

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just draw bitmaps to the sceen like a normal person, Windows!

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

c0burn posted:

I enjoy how pre boot environments still have old school resolutions

I do too. In the latter part of the BIOS days it was a reminder that your modern multi-core machine was still built on a foundation laid in the 1980s. With the UEFI and addition of the Graphics Output Protocol, which replaced the old VESA BIOS Extensions, I originally assumed that everything prior to the OS would get a visual shot in the arm. However, between the UEFI still needing to fit into motherboard ROM and boot environments being deliberately minimalistic, there hasn’t been as dramatic a change as I expected. Plus there are still lots of office surplus-grade monitors out there, and low overhead text interfaces are easier to debug and a smaller attack surface against malware.

This stuff is fun to think about.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

biznatchio posted:

And not just errors, Windows displays status information on the boot splash screen in many instances as well (notably when installing updates, e.g., "Installing updates (50%)...") and all that is localized as well.

And the entire thing needs to scale to whatever resolution your pre-boot environment is running under.

This sounds like a lot of work. Why not just say "Something happened :("?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The JJUEFI.

Somehow Palpatine rebooted.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Hasturtium posted:

I do too. In the latter part of the BIOS days it was a reminder that your modern multi-core machine was still built on a foundation laid in the 1980s. With the UEFI and addition of the Graphics Output Protocol, which replaced the old VESA BIOS Extensions, I originally assumed that everything prior to the OS would get a visual shot in the arm. However, between the UEFI still needing to fit into motherboard ROM and boot environments being deliberately minimalistic, there hasn’t been as dramatic a change as I expected. Plus there are still lots of office surplus-grade monitors out there, and low overhead text interfaces are easier to debug and a smaller attack surface against malware.

This stuff is fun to think about.

I really want ui/ux designers to take an attempt at figuring out how to make a UEFI screen beautiful and useful. There is a lot of useful information that is hidden beind advanced > oc profile 1 > cpu > power settings, for instance that would be helpful to surface.

Instead, I have the BIOS version, date, and cpu information on screen at all times. Also a giant eyeball. msi plz

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Drake turning away in disgust: useful features like Windows Subsystem for Android

Drake pointing in approval: moar Copilot AI bullshit!

lmao MS is killing Windows Subsystem for Android, a thing that a few people ITT specifically upgraded to 11 for.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Did Microsoft hire some former Google managers?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Absolute dickheads. I didn't even know the android app thing was beyond vaguely experimental and was waiting for it to mature. I'm sure I'd have found my way to it if it was advertised the way all the AI garbage is!

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Flipperwaldt posted:

Absolute dickheads. I didn't even know the android app thing was beyond vaguely experimental and was waiting for it to mature. I'm sure I'd have found my way to it if it was advertised the way all the AI garbage is!

That seems to be why they are discontinuing it. It was hyped up quite a bit before launch, then they pushed it back over a year I think it was. By the time it did launch it was barely given any fanfare or big announcement, and really I think people just kind of forgot about it.

I tried it about a year ago and really meh'd on the whole thing. You had to use Amazon's App Store, though I think you could sideload the Google Play Store. But it had issues then with compatibility even with stuff from the Amazon Store. So many Android apps just aren't meant to scale to a computer monitor. Hell, I have issues with a few apps scaling to a 10" tablet at times.

It wasn't a horrible load on my system, but it was noticeable, however I was still on a first gen Ryzen 1600 at the time. I'd bet with my current setup I would barely, if at all, notice.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Even on a good system it didn't run things very well at all, compared to ldplayer or Google's own play for PC

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

It's reasonably useful if you go through the hoops to get the Google apps installed. Otherwise, it's pointless. Without GApps, it was DOA because the Amazon app store is loving lol.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

was it emulating ARM android (slow) or virtualizing x86 android (lol good luck with app compatibility)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It supposedly used Intel Bridge to run arm

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can’t wait for this AI fad to fall on its arse so we can get straight onto the next round of bullshit that nobody wants.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Midjourney v6 seems to have fixed the "AI hands" in some cases.

...potentially removing one of the most reliable tools us schlubs have to tell if the pope is actually slapping Justin Trudeau or if you just got fooled again, again.

I feel like the total user count for Co Pilot is absolutely tiny, do MS release numbers? I bet the feature is hidden almost immediately by users like us, if we're given an option to hide.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 5, 2024

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I think the fact that it’s being crammed into the Start Menu so prominently is a sign that adoption isn’t going the way Microsoft wants, and they’re trying to juice engagement. Like every other shiny, tasteless trend they chase, I disable it and move on with my life.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Hasturtium posted:

I think the fact that it’s being crammed into the Start Menu so prominently is a sign that adoption isn’t going the way Microsoft wants

requiring OEMs to put a copilot key on every new keyboard will surely fix this

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Koskun posted:

That seems to be why they are discontinuing it. It was hyped up quite a bit before launch, then they pushed it back over a year I think it was. By the time it did launch it was barely given any fanfare or big announcement, and really I think people just kind of forgot about it.

I tried it about a year ago and really meh'd on the whole thing. You had to use Amazon's App Store, though I think you could sideload the Google Play Store. But it had issues then with compatibility even with stuff from the Amazon Store. So many Android apps just aren't meant to scale to a computer monitor. Hell, I have issues with a few apps scaling to a 10" tablet at times.

It wasn't a horrible load on my system, but it was noticeable, however I was still on a first gen Ryzen 1600 at the time. I'd bet with my current setup I would barely, if at all, notice.
Was there really any reason for it to exist in the first place?

Android apps are garbage on Android tablets, why anyone would want to run them on a Windows PC when you have like 3 decades of native software to work with? I did set it up when I broke my phone's screen and tried to use my tablet to use DJI Go to fly the drone, but that didn't work and never used had a reason to try it again.

I'm sure there are like a dozen people in the world (and 3 of them on this forum) that have a legitimate use cases of course.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

repiv posted:

requiring OEMs to put a copilot key on every new keyboard will surely fix this

I had actually managed to forget about that. I could at least sort of respect the desire to have an answer to Apple Silicon Mac’s’ ability to run iOS apps, but the initial implementation seemed questionable and now it’s being ditched… Has there ever been a time Microsoft’s activity at large didn’t come across as reactionary and kinda tasteless?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Copilot is such a roaring success that when it launched to Office 365 customers it came with a minimum license purchase quantity of 300 and you had to commit and pay up-front for a full year, and no trial licenses were available.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks Ants posted:

I can’t wait for this AI fad to fall on its arse so we can get straight onto the next round of bullshit that nobody wants.

MS has sunk billions into AI, they'll spend billions trying to force it onto you in every circumstance before giving up or being sued by the EU.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

mobby_6kl posted:

Was there really any reason for it to exist in the first place?

Android apps are garbage on Android tablets, why anyone would want to run them on a Windows PC when you have like 3 decades of native software to work with? I did set it up when I broke my phone's screen and tried to use my tablet to use DJI Go to fly the drone, but that didn't work and never used had a reason to try it again.

I'm sure there are like a dozen people in the world (and 3 of them on this forum) that have a legitimate use cases of course.

Your use case is definitely not feasible, so I'm not surprised it didn't work.

Actual use cases? Who knows. As I said, the closest it came to usable for me was when I shoehorned the GApps on it, but the web versions of all of those are superior, anyway.

I almost wonder if it was some shlub who said "You know what would be interesting?" and some project manager ran with it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

All I wanted the Android thing for was accessing YouTube through NewPipe. Probably not what they had in mind for it.

And I think they'll have enough success with the AI poo poo to spur them on. Supposedly students went all in on chatgpt. I don't expect people in some bullshit job to show more restraint writing reports when it's right there in their face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Same but my comic/manga piracy app

Luckily someone finally made a mostly functional PC version