Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Harold Fjord posted:

I think someone posted that a very strong group they had usually surrounded a guy with AoOs and tripped him.

Yeah, I played in a group of three fighters and a swashbuckler and it was hilarious how much of a death sentence a trip was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
I'm playing a water/air Kineticist, level 17 now and it really depends on what elements you choose. Main strengths are how often you can use your abilities, your durability (HP and good saves) and adaptability. Most likely you won't be topping any charts. Its a really flexible class that you can build a ton of ways from Aura Support to Overflow focus.

Two abilities to be mindful of is Protector Tree and Winter Sleet. Protector Tree scales much faster than damage so it could lead to really boring fights. Winter Sleet uses uneven terrain rules which are terrible.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
The Kineticist in our campaign was originally an Air, which resulted in a ton of helpful free movement for party members while also doing good damage early on.

He just rerolled into a Wood/Water because the party desperately needed some healing and support and he single-handedly is enabling them to survive Extreme encounters with his kit. Overall, the class is extremely versatile and flexible for whatever the party wants/needs!

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have a level 4 wood/water kineticist and play him as a frontliner who can take a bunch of hits between oceans balm and protector tree.

I am looking forward to winters sleet and causing off guard to enemies for the rest of my team.

I like being a semi caster without worrying about spell slots and the versatility of swapping between ranged and melee pretty effortlessly.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I have a Water/Metal Kineticist. He’s essentially a frontline (who can freely attack from a distance or aoe as needed), but he’s primarily built to stand in the middle of the fray, debuffing with his aura, and blocking incoming damage, occasionally healing an ally.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I've played a Water/Wood Kineticist and yeah, they've got some great support. Ocean's Balm is great for downtime healing, plus Protector Tree saved me from being pasted by a crit so that's always nice.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Our SF GM banned Water/Wood kineticists from his games after one player developed a routine of just planting himself in the middle of the action with Winter's sleet and doing nothing but spamming Timber Sentinel, but also taking 5 minutes every turn to weigh his options only to Timber Sentinel every time.

The entry banning this combo in said GM's google doc of houserules ends with "I will not be bullied again".

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'll keep that kineticist suggestion in mind. We're having our session 0 tonight. Everybody seems pretty excited to play, so I'm really looking forward to this Kingmaker campaign.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Clerical Terrors posted:

but also taking 5 minutes every turn to weigh his options only to Timber Sentinel every time.
There really is a special circle of hell for players like this. I've gotten into the habit of disproportionally rewarding anything that isn't an action loop.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah I also have a water/wood kineticist where I just dump Timber Sentinel when I'm in trouble. Save me tree!

The big trade-off for Winter Sleet + Tree is you don't really do much damage.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah I also have a water/wood kineticist where I just dump Timber Sentinel when I'm in trouble. Save me tree!

The big trade-off for Winter Sleet + Tree is you don't really do much damage.

Sure, but that much control and damage prevention frees everyone else up to alpha strike nerds. Same vibes as my witch, who maybe has two damaging spells in her repertoire total.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Is the style bonus worth going one element only on kineticist?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's worth noting that you can get those later - at 5th/9th/13th/17th you can focus one of your current gate elements instead of forking it and adding a new element, and one of the options for what you get when you intensify is adding an impulse junction for the element you're focusing. That's why the thought line is "see how you'll like playing it until 4th", because at 5th, you can make changes accordingly.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

How does the Influence system work? The first activity in the Kingmaker AP is getting to know the guests at a banquet and the book calls for accumulating Influence points for possible rewards. Based on what I've been reading, it seems like you just run it with 10-15 minute rounds and have party members use Influence or Discovery actions while speaking to change the Influence values.

This is the excerpt I've been reading for the rule explanation: https://2e.aonprd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=1201. Seems like I just add or subtract influence points based on how the conversation interacts with the NPCs personality.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Depends on the element and what your goals with it are. There isn't a single right answer, only the answer that's right for what you are trying to build.

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011

Jade Rider posted:

I've played a Water/Wood Kineticist and yeah, they've got some great support. Ocean's Balm is great for downtime healing, plus Protector Tree saved me from being pasted by a crit so that's always nice.

My group ruled that protector tree does not protect the caster, only others in the party.

Protector Tree on nethys posted:

Whenever an ally adjacent to the tree is hit by a Strike, the tree interposes its branches and takes the damage first.

But now I'm reading it as an ally to the tree, which would be the caster. Is there a consensus on this?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

browsers castle posted:

My group ruled that protector tree does not protect the caster, only others in the party.

But now I'm reading it as an ally to the tree, which would be the caster. Is there a consensus on this?

This is a perennial argument on the Paizo forums, IIRC. I tend to favor the view that it means an ally of the caster, not an ally of the tree - I don’t think the latter is a coherent game concept.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I can't imagine why the person bringing the tree from the tree realm wouldn't be an ally of the tree.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Chevy Slyme posted:

Depends on the element and what your goals with it are. There isn't a single right answer, only the answer that's right for what you are trying to build.

No idea what the rest of the party is so no real combat role in mind but I'm playing a Drow who got adopted by some dwarven miners that found her as an infant and through emulating her smith mother and miner dad has earned what the family calls The Love of Iron in her and that's what's goin on with her magic so I'm debating over Metal or Metal/Earth.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Today I just got a double crit on Penetrating Fire as a Gunslinger, both of which were killing blows.

My PF2 career has peaked, I think.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

I can't imagine why the person bringing the tree from the tree realm wouldn't be an ally of the tree.

Yeah it seems really weird that the spell would refuse to protect the caster. And "whenever you or an ally adjacent" would introduce ambigiuty to whether it can protect you when you're not adjacent, so I could see them not doing using that wording if it was supposed to include the caster, whereas if it was supposed to exclude them I would have expected to to be explicit, like "Whenever an ally adjacent to the tree, other than the caster," like Astral Labyrinth or the target for something like Shield Other or Lifelink.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man i picked up foundry to mess around with, potentially doing an online game with a group and holy gently caress its PF2E support is insane compared to 5e, ive been messing around in both systems and its like.. holy moly

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There is a 5e implementation that is similarly comprehensive, but it's :filez:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
5e's foundry system is essentially designed with the ethos of being automation free. It is the core system that all testing is done based off of.

PF2e's is like the exact opposite, it tries to streamline and automate as much as possible.

There are modules to essentially get 5e to where PF2e is wrt automation and character creation.

It also helps that paizo gives away everything but AP text for free.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

No idea what the rest of the party is so no real combat role in mind but I'm playing a Drow who got adopted by some dwarven miners that found her as an infant and through emulating her smith mother and miner dad has earned what the family calls The Love of Iron in her and that's what's goin on with her magic so I'm debating over Metal or Metal/Earth.

From a meta perspective Metal is the weakest one, so a dual gate might serve you better.

From a lore perspective Metal is more rust than iron, due to happenings in the Elemental Plane of Metal. It's metal, but it's decayed crappy metal. Look at the abilities and make sure they reinforce what metal means to you. Ex. Flashforge is cool but you have to do a DC 5 flat check every time you use the item or it breaks. Metal Carapace gives you free metal armor that is explicitly rusted and fragile, breaking on a critical hit.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

They kidnapped the tree and took it from tree paradise to some stinky dungeon. Some ally.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

is there a post with everyones reccomended modules? ive found a bunch of helpful stuff but i imagine there's tons i dont have

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Megazver posted:

There is a 5e implementation that is similarly comprehensive, but it's :filez:

also yeah I found this as well, so thats pretty awesome, i guess there's just a poo poo ton of modules to download to get it to automate which is kinda offputting, but here I am with like 35 modules for pf2e already

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

sorry for the spam but wow, i added the beginner box into foundry and this is crazy, literally everything is here and set up perfectly.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

queeb posted:

sorry for the spam but wow, i added the beginner box into foundry and this is crazy, literally everything is here and set up perfectly.

Yep, the automation and functionality is great.

Make sure you add the PF2e Workbench module for the superlative Basic Actions Macro button for your players. It streamlines all the actions people would do - the biggest IMO as a player is just a one-button "I want to Recall Knowledge" that gives the GM a prompt of what all the character has, lets them pick what to roll, etc.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Kyrosiris posted:

Yep, the automation and functionality is great.

Make sure you add the PF2e Workbench module for the superlative Basic Actions Macro button for your players. It streamlines all the actions people would do - the biggest IMO as a player is just a one-button "I want to Recall Knowledge" that gives the GM a prompt of what all the character has, lets them pick what to roll, etc.

holy crap thank you, this is amazing, i had it installed but didnt know this was a thing

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

They kidnapped the tree and took it from tree paradise to some stinky dungeon. Some ally.

My character's backstory is like "she loves trees or something" and yet the abomination vaults are littered with shattered trees that she continually sucks out of their natural habitat.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Facebook Aunt posted:

From a meta perspective Metal is the weakest one, so a dual gate might serve you better.

From a lore perspective Metal is more rust than iron, due to happenings in the Elemental Plane of Metal. It's metal, but it's decayed crappy metal. Look at the abilities and make sure they reinforce what metal means to you. Ex. Flashforge is cool but you have to do a DC 5 flat check every time you use the item or it breaks. Metal Carapace gives you free metal armor that is explicitly rusted and fragile, breaking on a critical hit.

Is Metal really the weakest? I don't know much about Kineticist besides hearing people talk about them, but I've heard at least a couple of people using Metal. I've NEVER heard of anyone using Fire so I assumed it was the weakest. Is it just that Fire is boring or something?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Is Metal really the weakest? I don't know much about Kineticist besides hearing people talk about them, but I've heard at least a couple of people using Metal. I've NEVER heard of anyone using Fire so I assumed it was the weakest. Is it just that Fire is boring or something?

Single gate Fire is the highest damage option and it isn’t really close, but it brings very little else to the table, and part of what’s so fun about Kineticist is having lots of options.

Metal is… a strong supplemental element that combos well in a few different ways, but doesn’t bring much of interest on its own. It also arguably has the weakest of the three armor impulse options, (though it has some specific synergies with shield block that can make an interesting build if you really go all in for that.)

The biggest problem Metal has is that a lot of its impulses don’t work or don’t work at full strength unless your opponents are made of or carrying metal. Great against humanoid opponents, or constructs, but absolutely useless against most monsters, so YMMV a lot depending on the campaign.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Quick Insert module is a must have!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've just got my level 1 Ranger to level 2 and I'm here to see if anyone has any ideas with him.
I'm a dwarf with an animal companion (specifically using Dromaeosaur) and at level 1 I was using a two hander and had precision. It works pretty well since you're quite action starved so attacking twice isn't TOO likely unless you're in melee against the same creature for a while, which isn't mega likely at low levels in 6 person games.
Precision has made my dinosaur really nice, although I know it falls off somewhat as you get higher level.

However at level 2 I'm finding it hard to decide what to do.

Do I keep my two hander, take the Mauler archetype and then wait until level 4 to get power attack. Do I pick up dual weapon warrior so I can use double slice but keep precision, as this seems to be the best way to get a big attack when I have two actions available?
Do I swap to flurry, assuming that later I'd be able to make more attacks rather than a single large attack?

The problem is that since I do organised play once I've chosen here I'm locked in forever so it's something I need to decide on the long term. Two handed melee ranger does feel like a nice option to me but ranger itself hasn't got LOADS of feats that support it.

I do want to stay melee, not interested in going ranged (I tried it, but I prefer melee)

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
flurry with animal companion is anti-synergy because you want to be able to have a third action to toss out for commands. precision is better if you're using it as a flanker, but ranger can also go shooty and use their dog as lockdown--though given you chose dromaeosaur obviously you're already set up for the former.

imo ranger is one of the better shells for just dumping most of the base class progression and going deep into an archetype, it doesn't have that many feats worth taking. mauler is nice, though i feel like the strongest part of mauler is in just the dedication on fighter allowing you to have the proficiency advantage on both a chosen weapon group and anything that takes two hands. but the high level aoe support isn't bad if you don't have another source of that kind of thing. alternative generically strong options are champion for heavy armor, repeatable out of combat healing, and a great reaction, a spellcaster archetype where you can just load up on buffs and utility, or barbarian for just extra damage juice.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Taear posted:

I've just got my level 1 Ranger to level 2 and I'm here to see if anyone has any ideas with him.
I'm a dwarf with an animal companion (specifically using Dromaeosaur) and at level 1 I was using a two hander and had precision. It works pretty well since you're quite action starved so attacking twice isn't TOO likely unless you're in melee against the same creature for a while, which isn't mega likely at low levels in 6 person games.
Precision has made my dinosaur really nice, although I know it falls off somewhat as you get higher level.

However at level 2 I'm finding it hard to decide what to do.

Do I keep my two hander, take the Mauler archetype and then wait until level 4 to get power attack. Do I pick up dual weapon warrior so I can use double slice but keep precision, as this seems to be the best way to get a big attack when I have two actions available?
Do I swap to flurry, assuming that later I'd be able to make more attacks rather than a single large attack?

The problem is that since I do organised play once I've chosen here I'm locked in forever so it's something I need to decide on the long term. Two handed melee ranger does feel like a nice option to me but ranger itself hasn't got LOADS of feats that support it.

I do want to stay melee, not interested in going ranged (I tried it, but I prefer melee)

I've been playing a ranger two-handing a bastard sword and I have been happy with Mauler. Power attack is good to get through resistances and a lot of times your second attack wouldn't hit anyway so putting all your damage eggs in the PA basket feels pretty good. Knockdown is also sweet a little further in.

I don't recall what level you get it but I would definitely take gravity weapon, extra static damage feels really good. Unless that conflicts with precision, I'm an Outwit Ranger so I don't know the precision rules.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mister Olympus posted:

flurry with animal companion is anti-synergy because you want to be able to have a third action to toss out for commands. precision is better if you're using it as a flanker, but ranger can also go shooty and use their dog as lockdown--though given you chose dromaeosaur obviously you're already set up for the former.

imo ranger is one of the better shells for just dumping most of the base class progression and going deep into an archetype, it doesn't have that many feats worth taking. mauler is nice, though i feel like the strongest part of mauler is in just the dedication on fighter allowing you to have the proficiency advantage on both a chosen weapon group and anything that takes two hands. but the high level aoe support isn't bad if you don't have another source of that kind of thing. alternative generically strong options are champion for heavy armor, repeatable out of combat healing, and a great reaction, a spellcaster archetype where you can just load up on buffs and utility, or barbarian for just extra damage juice.

The problem with barbarian is rage stops you using Concentration abilities - meaning it's really bad synergy with an animal companion.

Thanks for both your answers. I think it's Mauler time. Since I'm not expert with my weapons it doesn't do anything at all for me at level 2 though which is a shame. I now need to work out what boon I need to buy to use a naginata as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'd strongly consider ranger stuff. They have nice focus spells and animal companion feats.

Double action attacks are awkward since you can't move, quarry, and use the attack.

I'd honestly rather pick up their healing focus spell, opportunity attack, gravity weapon, or random out of combat stuff. Pathfinder society has non combat encounters, right?

Is the opportunity cost of spending a feat on absolutely nothing just so you can have awkward action economy without being buffed with haste (which you can't guarantee at your table from week to week) really better than Ranger feats?

Edit: Double checking the list and I think all of the following would be good

Initiate Warden (Gravity Weapon or Heal Companion, or even Magic Hide), Advanced Warden (Enlarge Companion or Soothing Mist), Disrupt Prey, Skirmish Strike, Blind Fight, and Hazard Finder. Maybe even Scout's Warning or Warden's Boon.

That's a lot of options already, and your level 6 and 10 feats are already spoken for due to your animal companion.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 5, 2024