Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Taima posted:

Is there any downside or cap to hanging onto research points with the boy Chadley or should I be grabbing materia whenever I have the points for it...?

The points are per-region -- I thought I was being clever waiting to spend points so I could scoop up some new materia faster in the second region, but it turns out that doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Taima posted:

Is there any downside or cap to hanging onto research points with the boy Chadley or should I be grabbing materia whenever I have the points for it...?

At least in the grasslands I got exactly enough points to buy all the materia he had in stock, so I assume if you do everything you can afford it all.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Oooh ok that makes total sense thanks!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Just got to the part where I'm in Larboard Junon, but I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to go left or right.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Bland posted:

On a related note, I despise the adaptive triggers implementation on the sit-up minigame. So unnecessary.

I really need the option to turn it off. I'd love to get that minigame done but that's not happening.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I really need the option to turn it off. I'd love to get that minigame done but that's not happening.

you can. go into gameplay options, trigger settings are near the bottom of the list. it's set to 3 by default, going to 0 disables it

for the crunch minigame, i had to disable those and all the music and voices just so i could focus enough to clear the final round

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Fantastic advice, thank you.

bewilderment posted:

Aerith feels like the hardest to build ATB with, I dunno what the secret is there.

This is two fold.

How to get faster ATB with Aerith

1. Use Tempest (hold Square) and try to keep it going. The little turret buddy that follows her around gives ATB every attack.

2. Radiant Ward makes her invincible when casting spells, but also when she's standing in it her attacks are much more powerful and give a lot more ATB.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Do I get anything for doing summons at full power? Seems like I got the full power materia from doing the easier version, but am I missing out on trophies or anything?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s funny because only the most hosed up freaks are going to smash their heads against the brick wall that is a full powered summon fight and their ‘reward’ is potentially getting the summon earlier but still having to go tick off all the POIs to power it up, whereas someone who just waits and hits all those first gets it at full power immediately with a much easier fight.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I missed assessing White Terror, am i now unable to get all the Grassland assesses?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I missed assessing White Terror, am i now unable to get all the Grassland assesses?

It appears in combat arenas and such

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sorry if this has been asked a bunch of times: if I go straight to Under Junon, will it lock me out of exploring the huge eastern half of the open world area? Or does going there unlock more side quests and stuff?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Sorry if this has been asked a bunch of times: if I go straight to Under Junon, will it lock me out of exploring the huge eastern half of the open world area? Or does going there unlock more side quests and stuff?

The second thing, you get a clear warning when you're about to hit a soft PONR

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Idk who's idea it was to have this anime cyborg girl just talking and talking and talking and talking the entire every time you do one of the monster fight quests, like I can't even hear what she's even saying because I'm in the fight, and she stops talking while you have the menus open, and like it'll be like "finish fight within 2 minute time limit" and by time that timer is done she's still talking.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm in chapter 10 now and something I really appreciate is that the cast are actually talking to each other, even if it's off screen or without Cloud. No forced drama because no one is talking to each other. I buy Tifa and Aerith being best buds, it's great.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

runaway dog posted:

Idk who's idea it was to have this anime cyborg girl just talking and talking and talking and talking the entire every time you do one of the monster fight quests, like I can't even hear what she's even saying because I'm in the fight, and she stops talking while you have the menus open, and like it'll be like "finish fight within 2 minute time limit" and by time that timer is done she's still talking.

I think the joke is supposed to be that it's canonically the case that the party doesn't care about whatever stupid poo poo she's saying, and just rushes right into battle regardless.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I lost it when even Chadley lowered Mai's volume because even he can't stand her.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Barret is quickly becoming my favorite character

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

DalaranJ posted:

I think the joke is supposed to be that it's canonically the case that the party doesn't care about whatever stupid poo poo she's saying, and just rushes right into battle regardless.

Hilarious, I'll take the lobotomy.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

DalaranJ posted:

Especially with her voice coming out of the controller mic it really does feel like you're on a phone call with someone and ignoring everything they say while you get on with a task.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jackie D posted:

Getting extremely frustrated with the last part of the Junon protorelic quest, apparently I loving suck at Fort Condor. What did you all do

Are you using your hero units?

Big two tips it's easy to miss:

- Hero units are charged by creating units of the same type. If you have Cloud, release defenders to charge him. Etc. They're very strong and I don't know how you'd defeat the hard mode versions without them. They can basically wipe out whole groups of enemies.

- Clerics are a force multiplier

The hero units are the big one. The game is bad at explaining this, and I think a lot of people will get stuck because of it. I didn't understand them until the third part of the quest.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m just straight up not using synergy skills and abilities. Can someone explain to me why I should? I’m perfectly happy just using spells and character stuff to pressure and stagger.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Currently as long as I have the elemental damage abilities unlocked for a character, I see little point in using spells for anything other than healing. There might be a damage/pressure differential but I'm not sure since I haven't really tried.

Also Yuffie's one whirlwind ability I forget the name of as I'm not playing this second might be one of the best (and flashiest) in the game.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The wanted poster with the faces changed absolutely reminds me of this:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I’m just straight up not using synergy skills and abilities. Can someone explain to me why I should? I’m perfectly happy just using spells and character stuff to pressure and stagger.

The Abilities are very strong and you should be charging them up through normal play (since spells and weapon skills charge them).

The Skills (the ones you can use at any time) tend to fill certain niches. By default, offensive ones are on square/triangle and defensive on the other two. Some (like Tifa's launch to get her airborne) are very good. There's also other good stuff like melee and ranged counters. You should get a feel for them after a while. The offensive/defensive distinction helped them make sense to me.

triple sulk posted:

Currently as long as I have the elemental damage abilities unlocked for a character, I see little point in using spells for anything other than healing. There might be a damage/pressure differential but I'm not sure since I haven't really tried.

Also Yuffie's one whirlwind ability I forget the name of as I'm not playing this second might be one of the best (and flashiest) in the game.

I believe the big difference is that spells charge Synergy abilities, while I don't think the elemental damage things do (with the exception of a weapon skill like Cloud's Firebolt thing).

For this reason, I usually use spells when possible against bosses. Synergy abilities are big enough that I don't want to waste ATB on stuff that doesn't build them if I can avoid it. I use the skills against other mobs, since I usually want to preserve MP for that (and for certain elements it's easier to hit with the skill - Blizzard can be tricky to hit, while its skill seems to home in on guys.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 3, 2024

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

You can probably ignore synergy skills, they're useful but never essential. It's similar to not bothering to use the block button.

Synergy abilities though are very powerful and you get them just by using your standard atb abilities so there's really no reason to not use them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

A) Synergy skills tend to cover a character's weaknesses in some form or another. Not using them can leave a ton of damage on the table or make a character harder to use (like Tifa against air enemies.)

B) Synergy Abilities are basically mini-limit breaks and not using them leaves a ton of damage on the table.

C) Synergy Abilities give you access to triple ATB, infinite MP and higher level limit breaks, all of which contribute to using spells and character stuff more effectively.

LIke you can choose not to use them but you're going to make your life needlessly harder.

triple sulk posted:

Spells are much, much, much stronger, especially with Aerith who can double them. If you're hitting an enemy's weakness you'll be doing a shitton more damage than with the basic spells which are pretty much only good for triggering pressure. If you're still using the base-tier spells there isn't a different but -a and -aga hit like bricks.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 3, 2024

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I guess I should practice using them. I just kinda never see anything happen when I use stuff like Counterfire or whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I guess I should practice using them. I just kinda never see anything happen when I use stuff like Counterfire or whatever.

If you want the obvious ones, stuff like Cloud/Aerith, Cloud/Tifa and Tifa/Aerith are all super obvious in how powerful and useful they are.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Synergy skills are extremely useful and free to use. They also build ATB for both participants so you can build ATB for characters you're not currently controlling. They also tend to help cover for a characters' weaknesses, like allowing ranged attacks or launching into the air.

Synergy abilities are basically free, too. You're charging them up just by using abilities that cost ATB, and they're essentially a second limit break.

Pollyanna posted:

Counterfire's maybe a bad example because it's a defensive move. You have to use it right as you're about to get hit with a projectile. There are lots of synergy skills that don't have conditions like that, like Cloud + Red XIII's Howling Blast or Cloud + Aerith's Spell Blade.

Cloud's charged attacks with Tifa or Aerith hit like absolute trucks and cost no ATB (and in fact build a ton of ATB).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

A) Synergy skills tend to cover a character's weaknesses in some form or another. Not using them can leave a ton of damage on the table or make a character harder to use (like Tifa against air enemies.)

What do you think the niche of Cloud's "big charged hits" (that he can do with at least Tifa and Aerith, though I think Aerith's is magic damage and has some range to it) is? It seems to do a lot of damage, but I'm not sure if using it on a staggered enemy is preferable to, say, wailing on the enemy in Punisher mode. I want to say the charged hits might do more damage, since they hit really hard. Almost comparable damage to Braver or something it seems.

Edit: I'm kinda tempted to spam them since they hit so hard, but I feel like I must be missing something. Spamming Cloud and Barrett's ranged attack also does pretty respectable damage that seems like it might outdo what Cloud would do if he was just meleeing them normally.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 3, 2024

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm just not a dog person but drat if the Stamp theme they play whenever a side quest involves one isn't just fantastic

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the “big charged hit” synergy moves do very respectable damage and fill up a huge chunk of ATB for both characters involved. They’re especially good for Aerith

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

What do you think the niche of Cloud's "big charged hits" (that he can do with at least Tifa and Aerith, though I think Aerith's is magic damage and has some range to it) is? It seems to do a lot of damage, but I'm not sure if using it on a staggered enemy is preferable to, say, wailing on the enemy in Punisher mode. I want to say the charged hits might do more damage, since they hit really hard. Almost comparable damage to Braver or something it seems.

Cloud's Big Charged Hits are useful in situations where you need to deal a ton of damage quickly but don't have ATB or don't want to use ATB. There are several enemy types for example who will block or counter 'weak' attacks but are pressured/staggered by strong ones, and the Charged Hits allow you to break their guard even if you have not ATB. There are also some situations where you don't have time to build ATB up. One enemy for example has a skill called Swan Song where you have a really short period of time to break two of their body parts or it does 9999 unavoidable damage to the entire party, and the Charged Hit makes it easier to pull that off in situations where you can't build ATB quickly.

They also build a lot of ATB so you can use one and then transition instantly into an ATB attack. This isn't as important on Cloud since he can built ATB insanely quickly with Punisher mode, but on someone like Aerith it's an incredibly good way to build ATB.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

The magical versions of clouds big charged hit are also very useful against enemies that resist physical damage..

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They really need to up Aerith's ATB gain. Everyone else can get five or six or even a hundred full meters before she manages to fill one. She has a lot of neat stuff but it feels like a complete waste if I don't use arcane ward to get that extra cast because it's the only other attack I'll she'll do the entire fight.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Lustrous Ward can be really great though, love to watch 5 riot troops bouncing off that thing without a clue

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The Barret/Cait Sith synergy attack is the greatest thing

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Yuffie hits like a (Palmer-hitting) truck while having tons of evasion and abilities to generate space. S+ tier easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mainwaring posted:

The magical versions of clouds big charged hit are also very useful against enemies that resist physical damage..

I believe it shoots a column of damage and can hit from a distance too, at least one one with Aerith.

The defensive one that attacks back as it blocks ranged attacks is crazy useful too, turns damage to you into damage to your enemy