Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Canonically, the BG 1 and 2 name is Abdel Adrian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
What on earth is up with the camera in this game. Only played a few hours but it's pretty bizarre how limited the range of movement is, particularly the fact you can't look horizontally or up. They seem to have spent vast resources making the amazing environments but you can't see them because the camera has to be pointing down like it's 2002 and we're playing Neverwinter Nights where the devs didn't bother to put underside faces on any of the scenery meshes because they locked the camera angles.

Looks like there's a camera mod I'll have to check out, I'm just very surprised that the thing has been designed like this in the first place, who actually likes this?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's an isometric CRPG in the tradition of the Infinity Engine games that came before it. Pretty much everyone unless they're making a youtube video plays fully zoomed out and uses the QE and WASD keys to move the camera. If you need to really zoom out for something, press O for tactical view.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

El Grillo posted:

What on earth is up with the camera in this game. Only played a few hours but it's pretty bizarre how limited the range of movement is, particularly the fact you can't look horizontally or up. They seem to have spent vast resources making the amazing environments but you can't see them because the camera has to be pointing down like it's 2002 and we're playing Neverwinter Nights where the devs didn't bother to put underside faces on any of the scenery meshes because they locked the camera angles.

Looks like there's a camera mod I'll have to check out, I'm just very surprised that the thing has been designed like this in the first place, who actually likes this?

If you think it sucks now just wait til you get to multi story indoor areas! Oh you wanted to climb to high ground? Too bad the camera literally won’t zoom out enough to render the area you want to move to for some reason

It’s definitely janky as gently caress and one of the few things I can complain about in this game

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Docjowles posted:

If you think it sucks now just wait til you get to multi story indoor areas! Oh you wanted to climb to high ground? Too bad the camera literally won’t zoom out enough to render the area you want to move to for some reason

It’s definitely janky as gently caress and one of the few things I can complain about in this game

Yeah I can't in good conscience call this game a 10/10 with the horrible camera and awful inventoy system. Strong 9 for sure but that poo poo drives me nuts.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Lobok posted:

Yeah but Gus tends to be a masculine name.

And Tavernicus isn’t?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Black Noise posted:

And Tavernicus isn’t?

It could be short for Tavernica

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Before I realized it was the default name I thought it was slang for The Avatar

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

ZearothK posted:

Codename for the game was Project GusTav (which is the name of Larian's CEO's dog, the model for Scratch). Also stands for Tadpoled AdVenturer. Also the final letter of the Hebrew alphabet.

I guess she will once her conversation options dry up, at least, but I want the intended experience since I don't think I got it in me to burn down the grove twice.

I got her in my second playthrough and she basically bugged until far enough in act three that it was the right lines and hasn’t ever advanced past it. The rest of her dialogue tree works just not the opening lines when you talk to her. She also bugged another way where she has to be party leader or she won’t follow. I think this is because I tried to bring her back into moonrise to see what would happen but it makes her really annoying to bring along

Medullah posted:

Before I realized it was the default name I thought it was slang for The Avatar

Ah yep the dragon age naming convention lol

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Kingtheninja posted:

What's the fastest way to break an oath of devotion without killing the two tieflings?

Fantasize about hacking off the disembodied hand.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Docjowles posted:

The camera fades out the rafters inside so they don't block the entire view, but they also fade out the enemies. You end up playing this game where you have to find the right angle to where the model for the enemy even appears for you to click on. Then the camera resets, so you have to find the guy in the rafters every single turn for everybody who needs to find him.

Also sightlines on high ground are messed up. A guy will just casually stroll back and forth across the ceiling while a bloodbath happens twelve feet below him. Happens multiple times in the goblin camp alone

You can also cheese the ai into climbing walls single file into your killbox

Arms_Akimbo fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 3, 2024

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

What's the fastest way to break an oath of devotion without killing the two tieflings?

I think you can do it, but turning on passive where you don't kill people, then hit the rogues at the temple. Then, kill them when they are knocked out.

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love
I rationalised it as Tav, as in Tavern, where DnD-style adventures begin a lot.

Does a Durge character have the same in-world lines as a Tav one? There's something quite funny about the willing avatar of the God of Murder muttering about being cursed to put their hands on everything

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They get the same Tav dialogue interspersed with "must... kill" style Durge quips.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

They'll all bleed for me wish I had a bag of holding nobody back home will ever believe this I'LL WADE THROUGH YOUR ENTRAILS

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
'shouldn't have wished to live in more interesting times' is a slightly odd one in that context

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
You can only eat so many babies before you start to wonder if there's more to life you know

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

An Taoiseach posted:

Does a Durge character have the same in-world lines as a Tav one? There's something quite funny about the willing avatar of the God of Murder muttering about being cursed to put their hands on everything

Baseline Durge is definitely unwilling, though?

If you listen to the character intro of the base Durge (white dragonborn sorceror), he makes this grandiose Poe-style speech about the tragedy of his existence and his terrible urges.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Gatto Grigio posted:

Baseline Durge is definitely unwilling, though?

If you listen to the character intro of the base Durge (white dragonborn sorceror), he makes this grandiose Poe-style speech about the tragedy of his existence and his terrible urges.

Talking to Gortash and reading his notes make it pretty clear that before you got Orin'd you were extremely into your job, but there's also a few hints that maybe your destiny as a Baalspawn was never set in stone. In play you've definitely got the option to lean into either being a gleeful bloodthirsty serial killer or a tragic figure with a monster inside of them that they don't understand.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

this Keyheric thorm fight is driving me loving nuts. one guy gets instant gibbed by the drider, everyone else gets frightened, someone gets domed by the necromite spell and the nightsong just fights the dog. I got hosed up by the long fight beforehand and can’t long rest. I’m level 8 with 1k xp to go before level 9. should I just reload and try to find some way to level? I feel like I’ve done everything but apparently you can go into the fight at level 10 so I have to be missing some stuff. My party is paladin druid barb fighter.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

this Keyheric thorm fight is driving me loving nuts. one guy gets instant gibbed by the drider, everyone else gets frightened, someone gets domed by the necromite spell and the nightsong just fights the dog. I got hosed up by the long fight beforehand and can’t long rest. I’m level 8 with 1k xp to go before level 9. should I just reload and try to find some way to level? I feel like I’ve done everything but apparently you can go into the fight at level 10 so I have to be missing some stuff. My party is paladin druid barb fighter.

Are there any active quests left?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

exquisite tea posted:

They get the same Tav dialogue interspersed with "must... kill" style Durge quips.

I did my first Durge playthrough and didn't get any murder-themed lines at all, and then was surprised when replaying it recently to suddenly get all these crazy lines about ripping open people's guts when I was trying to play a Sorry Cop, it was pretty jarring and didn't fit with my memory or the character I was trying to play.

Experimented about a bunch and learned that Voices 7 and 8 don't get the Durge lines so if you want to play a Durge who isn't constantly licking their lips about how much humanoid offal they want for supper, those are the voices to go for.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

This is the rooftop fight right? Can't you just walk out of moonrise to long rest? If you haven't gotten the "Road to Baldur's Gate" waypoint, you can level up around there still

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

An Taoiseach posted:

There's a lot of Durge exclusive lines like "Pave my path in corpses. Build my throne from bones." and "How many die today...how many die tomorrow." when you're just clicking around navigating the world.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

How many die today might just be a custom character line because the custom characters have all said that.

Or they all got the Durge.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Black Noise posted:

How many die today might just be a custom character line because the custom characters have all said that.

Or they all got the Durge.

Iirc it's a new bug.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

They’ve been saying lines like this since launch. I didn’t put mods in until Last Light.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
While we're talking Durge, when some of you say 'canon Durge', does that mean you're playing resist? Have the devs said somewhere that's the canonical Durge playthrough somewhere? I'm yet to give that particular origin a go so am just curious on where the canonical idea has come from

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

yeah like someone else said you should be able to just walk back out of the tower after the big battle and long rest before heading upstairs. That alone should help a lot. Unfortunately after passing the "point of no return" with Shadowheart's stuff all the quests in act 2 pretty much shut down. So if you wanna reload and level some more you're gonna have to go back a ways. It's hard to say what XP you might have missed since there is so much goddam poo poo to do in this game, in both act 1 and act 2.

I... don't think I encountered either a Drider or dog in my fight? Early in the act did you do the quest where Harpers ambush the Drider and get a moonlantern? Did you choose to side with the cultists over the Harpers? In both of my games I've killed him so I didn't even realize he could be part of the fight. If you somehow skipped that entirely then that could also explain why he's there and you're short on XP. I'm reasonably sure I didn't fight the dog either, maybe cause I made friends with him in Ketheric's chamber earlier in the act? Idk. Anyway yeah with 2 more significant enemies I can see why that fight is kicking your rear end. Maybe try to get off some turn undead or hold person or confusion or something to take them out of the fight for a few rounds while you focus down a target. For what it's worth I just ignored the stupid skeletons til after Ketheric was dead, but that might not work if it is taking many turns to get him down

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 4, 2024

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

While we're talking Durge, when some of you say 'canon Durge', does that mean you're playing resist? Have the devs said somewhere that's the canonical Durge playthrough somewhere? I'm yet to give that particular origin a go so am just curious on where the canonical idea has come from

I think they mean the default race/class when you choose durge. Dragon born sorc.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Docjowles posted:

I'm doing the artiat/mansion quest in Act 3 right now and I'm honestly about to just skip it and move on because the camera sucks in there.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Squibbles posted:

I think they mean the default race/class when you choose durge. Dragon born sorc.

Aha, thank you. Looks like I conflated a few posts of people playing canon Durge with resist as if they were the same thing

10 Beers posted:

I'm doing the artiat/mansion quest in Act 3 right now and I'm honestly about to just skip it and move on because the camera sucks in there.

This is why one of several reasons that one of the various camera mods if you're on PC is required. Being able to zoom onto floor level so you can tilt up and select targets above.

Not sure how it works on controller, but maybe a work around if modding isn't possible would be to use the enemy thumbnails to target them? With a mouse you can right click those and attack from there

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 4, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

10 Beers posted:

lol yeah that may be the actual rock bottom for camera mechanics. It took me way too long to figure out why I was taking random damage cause I couldn't even figure out where my characters loving were. I felt like I was back playing Mario 64 or something from before game devs really understood 3D

e: 5 minutes after posting this, I have a fight where I waste multiple attacks because I think I am clicking on a monster but the game decided I really wanted monk Astarion to punch the air right next to the monster. Why is this even possible

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 4, 2024

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This fat bastard is stuck halfway down the hole, how can I knock them the rest of the way into the underdark so I can get that sweet necklace

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Hello it looks like you ran through the front door of a haunted house and are having a bad time.

Did you consider the roof?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Is there any way to get the Orphic Hammer out of the house without triggering the fight? Aside from agreeing to Raphael's deal, obviously.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Shockeh posted:

Is there any way to get the Orphic Hammer out of the house without triggering the fight? Aside from agreeing to Raphael's deal, obviously.

no

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I never had any particular camera problems skill issue imo.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

canon in this case also respects the rest of the Forgotten Realms, so playing evil Durge changes the canon world, whereas resist Durge saves the day and restores the status quo (Gale for example also has a canon ending while Shadowheart doesn't)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

The FR canon status quo is so mid tho