Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I used to love Forza 4 on the Xbox 360. What's the best substitute that works well on Steam Deck? The Horizon games are completely different and I honestly hate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There is no substitute for Forza 4. It was the best there ever was and ever will be.

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

DildenAnders posted:

I used to love Forza 4 on the Xbox 360. What's the best substitute that works well on Steam Deck? The Horizon games are completely different and I honestly hate them.

I cant speak to specifically what makes Forza 4 special for you, but theres a lot of great sim-y racing games that work well on Steam. Any of the GRID games, the Dirt series, Project Cars. If you want something technical and tricky to master, I know folks like the Dirt Rally games.

Though of course car licensing being a bitch means some of those titles wont be purchasable.

Edit: this reminds me that Gran Turmiso 3 was a real special one for me, I love that games handling. I should get that working in pcsx2 if I can.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It's not a substitute to Forza 4, but New Star GP is a really good semi-sim/casual racing sim that suits the deck perfectly in my opinion. You can currently play from the 80's to 2000's in the campaign.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2217580/New_Star_GP/

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dramicus posted:

It's not a substitute to Forza 4, but New Star GP is a really good semi-sim/casual racing sim that suits the deck perfectly in my opinion. You can currently play from the 80's to 2000's in the campaign.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2217580/New_Star_GP/

I was gonna post about how Forza 4 has yet to be matched (and that genuinely sucks. C'mon, Microsoft...), but holy poo poo, this is like Virtua Racing: Definitive Edition, and I loved Virtua Racing. Thanks for posting this, wish listed and followed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Man disabling the dynamic rez on FF7r really helps

Too bad Im playing FF14 now which runs like a drat dream.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was gonna post about how Forza 4 has yet to be matched (and that genuinely sucks. C'mon, Microsoft...), but holy poo poo, this is like Virtua Racing: Definitive Edition, and I loved Virtua Racing. Thanks for posting this, wish listed and followed.

Absolutely same. Huge virtua racing vibes, which I have clocked approximately 2000 hours in on the 32x version.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

I can’t speak to specifically what makes Forza 4 special for you, but there’s a lot of great sim-y racing games that work well on Steam. Any of the GRID games, the Dirt series, Project Cars. If you want something technical and tricky to master, I know folks like the Dirt Rally games.

Though of course car licensing being a bitch means some of those titles won’t be purchasable.

Edit: this reminds me that Gran Turmiso 3 was a real special one for me, I love that game’s handling. I should get that working in pcsx2 if I can.

I mostly enjoyed how well balanced it was with the car rating/upgrading system, and how diverse the story mode was. It was a great balance between still fun to play, but not ridiculous arcade driving physics as well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Absolutely same. Huge virtua racing vibes, which I have clocked approximately 2000 hours in on the 32x version.

Ok, so you can share my frustration and complete... I don't know, bafflement (I was throughly baffled) by the total lack of 32x content in the SEGA AGES Virtua Racing release?

It makes no sense.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes, absolutely! The 32x remains the definitive-ish version in my mind because of the content it has that the other releases just dont for whatever reason

Dont get me wrong, the switch version is great, but how hard would it have been to add in the extra cars and stuff?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 4, 2024

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

I''ve never had a playstation, and therefore never played any of the Gran Turismo games. Which (PS2) one should I start with?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

DildenAnders posted:

I''ve never had a playstation, and therefore never played any of the Gran Turismo games. Which (PS2) one should I start with?

GT4, no contest. Probably has the best car campaign/progression of any racing game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

GT4 has a legit claim to being one of if not the greatest racing games ever made and I still play it pretty regularly. Also one of the best looking PS2 games even without any emulator fuckery.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

njsykora posted:

GT4 has a legit claim to being one of if not the greatest racing games ever made and I still play it pretty regularly.

I bought this disk new way back in 2004/05. How does it play on the Deck? Hell, Im gonna make an .iso and give you guys a trip report ASAP.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Also, if you want to go extra nuts, someone recently modded GT4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct2i7cCaetk

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

tango alpha delta posted:

I bought this disk new way back in 2004/05. How does it play on the Deck? Hell, Im gonna make an .iso and give you guys a trip report ASAP.

It was literally the first emulator game I put on my Deck when I got it and it ran well then, I'd hope by now it's perfect since GT games are reliably the things that bring Playstation emulators to their knees.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

njsykora posted:

It was literally the first emulator game I put on my Deck when I got it and it ran well then, I'd hope by now it's perfect since GT games are reliably the things that bring Playstation emulators to their knees.

The first emulator games I threw on my Deck were my physical copies of God of War and God of War 2, which both run amazingly well if anyone is curious.

e: wait a minute, my Gran Turismo 4 disk is only 5GB, but God of War and God of War 2 are 8GB? I think that means Polyphony Digital are some kind of wizards.

e:trip report: GT4 runs at a steady 60 FPS with very,very slight drops to 59 or 58 FPS on my LCD Deck and about 4 hours of playtime. There are no graphical glitches I can see so far. The Deck's controls feel better than my old PS2.

Emulation is so much fun!

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 4, 2024

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Oh dang, gt4 was great. We did a legit 24h of nurburgring in college. No pauses, just trading off the controller when people slept or went to class.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Is the HLTB decky plugin broken for anybody else in the latest software? Reinstalling the plugin didn't help.

E: double hosed. DRG:S doesn't run anymore either even with proton experimental.

Yeah, the HLTB plug-in is broken for me too.

Is DRG:S booting to a black screen? If so turn the frame rate limiter off in the power settings slideout. That fixed it for me

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Just checked, DRG:S is working fine for me on the latest update.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

CBD Corndog posted:

Is DRG:S booting to a black screen? If so turn the frame rate limiter off in the power settings slideout. That fixed it for me

It just spun. There was another game update today and it booted this time. Who knows.

I put gt4 on but forgot how much I hate those license tests. Also the controls will need some setting up but I never remember how to do it in the emulator vs steam input.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

CBD Corndog posted:

There's a pull request for HLTB waiting for approval that updates it for the latest SteamOS. If it's not being maintained by the original author any more then I guess it'll need to be forked into a new project.

I've been on a quest to get non-Steam games streaming acceptably from my PC to my Deck and I think I've finally figured out a way of doing it, with the minor downside of it being ludicrously convoluted. My preference is to have games show up in my Steam Deck library instead of launching Moonlight and connecting to my PC and launching the relevant program and then being called away because the dog's been sick or something before I can actually play the game. I want to automate all that away so that I push "play" and the game starts. My previous way of doing this was to add the non-Steam games to my PC's Steam library using something like Steam ROM Manager and then they'd automatically show up for streaming to my Deck using Remote Play.

Unfortunately Remote Play is really finicky when dealing with non-Steam games (especially Epic) and Valve seem to be on a mission to break it, so I've gone back to Moonlight and used MoonDeck's "Sunshine Apps" option to pull every app I've added to Sunshine into the Deck's library. The only issue with that is that setting apps up in Sunshine is a bit of a chore and I absolutely was not going to do that for every non-Steam game I had installed. Fortunately there's an extension for launcher-for-your-launchers program Playnite that exports games you select directly into Sunshine. I already had Playnite installed and configured, so I installed the Sunshine App Export extension, ran it, synced Sunshine apps in MoonDeck, set up artwork for all the new titles it had dropped into my library, tested a couple and then did not play anything as I'd spent all the time I'd planned to use gaming on tinkering. But next time it'll work perfectly!

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

e: wait a minute, my Gran Turismo 4 disk is only 5GB, but God of War and God of War 2 are 8GB? I think that means Polyphony Digital are some kind of wizards.

As usual, its because God of War 1 and 2 have a lot more FMV. In MPEG-2 quality per the PS2, so files get large.

I think those two games are two of the very few games on PS2 to ship on DVD9.

e:trip report: GT4 runs at a steady 60 FPS with very,very slight drops to 59 or 58 FPS on my LCD Deck and about 4 hours of playtime. There are no graphical glitches I can see so far. The Deck's controls feel better than my old PS2.

Thats so awesome that it works. PS2 emulation got REALLY great when I wasnt paying attention.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Any up scaling or is that native?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
Been playing Xbox cloud gaming through a webpage like the Microsoft support page walkthrough showed and other than being wonky when the deck sleeps, it just works.

Even when my kid is on the Xbox swea[rt]ing away at fortnight on the physical box in the living room. Been catching up on my indies. Cocoon was phenomenal. Turnip Boy Robs a Bank was silly fun, and Chicory is frustrating in a good way (so far)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MrQueasy posted:

Been playing Xbox cloud gaming through a webpage like the Microsoft support page walkthrough showed and other than being wonky when the deck sleeps, it just works.

Even when my kid is on the Xbox swea[rt]ing away at fortnight on the physical box in the living room. Been catching up on my indies. Cocoon was phenomenal. Turnip Boy Robs a Bank was silly fun, and Chicory is frustrating in a good way (so far)

How does that handle game that never published on PC? In particular I'm eyeballing Halo 5, which I never played because it wasn't on the 360 and wasn't on PC. I'm pretty sure you can still buy it digitally via the xbox store, though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

How does that handle game that never published on PC? In particular I'm eyeballing Halo 5, which I never played because it wasn't on the 360 and wasn't on PC. I'm pretty sure you can still buy it digitally via the xbox store, though.

Fwiw you cant play games bought on the store via the cloud yet. You can on PS+ and MS said they eventually want that to be a thing.

That being said halo is playable on the cloud. The cloud servers are just Xboxes so anything that runs on the Xbox will run in the cloud.

The DF video I posted a few pages ago has a breakdown on how things run on the service and its not the greatest and that echos what Ive seen.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Riftbreaker is a really cool basebuilder/arpg mashup where you take the role of the mech suit from avatar.

It runs super well on deck and only thing I could wish for is some UI scaling. But it still has a yellow checkmark.
I think the three tier system is too severe for deck.
Having to use a keyboard or slightly smaller Uai than preferred shouldn't instantly knock it down to yellow. Maybe it should be a green mark with ! Instead of ✓ for games that are perfectly playable

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wait wait.... I'm sitting here, missing Forza 4, reading y'all talk about GT4 running great in a PS2 emulator... How well does Xemu handle Forza 4?

Holy poo poo, if I could play that on the deck....

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait wait.... I'm sitting here, missing Forza 4, reading y'all talk about GT4 running great in a PS2 emulator... How well does Xemu handle Forza 4?

Holy poo poo, if I could play that on the deck....

Xbox emulation is a lot less advanced than PS2 emulation, due to a lot of false starts. Definitely don't assume that if it worked on PS2 emu it'll work on Xbox emu, but it's certainly possible.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Is Forza4 not a much more advanced game than GT4? I assumed PS2~Xbox and PS3~Xbox360.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

DildenAnders posted:

Is Forza4 not a much more advanced game than GT4? I assumed PS2~Xbox and PS3~Xbox360.

Yeah there are 7 years between GT4 and Forza Motorsport 4. Different gens.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Squiggle posted:

Yeah there are 7 years between GT4 and Forza Motorsport 4. Different gens.

Oh my god, of course. I completely forgot that the ps2 was around the og Xbox days, and the NEXT gen from there was PS360. Duh.

Alright, well, I guess I'll take a crack at GT4 sometome, maybe.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://x.com/stephentotilo/status/1764717475600433400?s=20

I know this was being followed by some of us.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Dumb bullshit

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

gently caress you, Nintendo

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Lmao they folded immediately.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I bet they wish they had not been featured in an official trailer for Steam Deck

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It sucks rear end. I guess the silver lining is that it didnt give Nintendo a chance to set any legal precedent against emulation as a whole.

What made Yuzu different from Ryujinx?

Edit: fixed a weird autocorrect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

It sucks rear end. I guess the silver lining is that it didnt give Nintendo a chance to set any legendary precedent against emulation as a whole.

What made Yuzu different from Ryujinx?

That's a major upside, Nintendo's argument was basically that emulation in any form is illegal.