Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

GateOfD posted:

gonna pick this up eventually.
is there like a way to customize a 'support-type' class character or is everyone just shoot everything hard

you could haul ammo packs and some armour lets you carry a couple of extra stims/heals, but mostly everyone's killin, yea. Or you can focus on bringing anti-armour stuff for heavies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Do I need Reddit to see this or something

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

GateOfD posted:

gonna pick this up eventually.
is there like a way to customize a 'support-type' class character or is everyone just shoot everything hard

Depends on what you mean by "support". There's a backpack you can take that lets you hand out supplies to people, and there are various stratagems that are more about area control than giant explosions, but the primary verb in everyone's toolkit is "shoot".

e: There are niches within "shoot hard" that you can carve out, though. There's a variety of stratagems and support weapons that are somewhat situational, but utterly dominate those situations. The flamethrower, for instance, isn't as good for general-purpose combat as a railgun or rocket launcher, but when you're being swarmed by more bugs than you have bullets for, having one person on the team with a flamethrower can be a lifesaver.

blastron fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 3, 2024

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

JBP posted:

Do I need Reddit to see this or something
I don't even have a reddit account so I thought it'd work for everyone. Ah well I reuploaded it.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

this game is loving sick huh

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it worked for me, no thumbnail but just hit the play button

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Is there something I am missing about how Boosts work? It seems like it it randomly decides when I can take one or not. Do they have a cooldown? Can't use em twice in a row or something?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Exodee posted:

I don't even have a reddit account so I thought it'd work for everyone. Ah well I reuploaded it.

Worth the re-upload lmao

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Improbable Lobster posted:

Is there something I am missing about how Boosts work? It seems like it it randomly decides when I can take one or not. Do they have a cooldown? Can't use em twice in a row or something?

They boost the whole squad so it won't let you pick a boost if someone else has already picked it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

As long as you pick one that isn't already being used you can use them every mission.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

RandomBlue posted:

Water is loving dangerous, even small puddles slow you down a shitload, died last night because I tried to shortcut through a 2' deep puddle 6' across and welp.

So not only is it the movement of MGSV, but the terrain hostility of Death Stranding?

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

To add to the others, there's sometimes a bug if you join in mid-mission where boosters are greyed out despite no one having them selected. Maybe that's what happened to you?

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
I've noticed when I'm dropping in on someone else's mission I can't pick stamina even if no one else picked it. Maybe it needs to be active at the start, maybe just a bug.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I'm just assuming that someone had that booster selected but then they crashed out or left the match and that continues to lock you out of using the booster even though no one is currently using it. Whether or not it is still in effect is another question I haven't even thought to test.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Mazerunner posted:

I got a 70+ killstreak with arc thrower and laser dog :science:

Just had a suicide bug mission with almost 800 kills. Most I've gotten so far but the breaches just kept coming filled with trash enemies.

LazyMaybe posted:

Seems like yet another "you are only playing bug missions" moment to me, slugger is pretty good against bots. Oneshots normal bots and oneshots devastators to the face.

I play both factions plenty, at 7 to 9 difficulty. I'm always in first person aim and with the slugger I hate the scope view, hate the recoil, hate how long it takes to shoot multiple times in a row, and hate how quickly the ammo drains. It also seems to have shorter range than some shotguns. For my money the slugger is terrible compared to the breaker, since I generally don't use my primary on armored enemies anyways. It feels very sluggish.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Lol the slugger hits spore towers across the map

It's good for bots, you can stagger 3 chainsaw dudes simultaneously. The only issue I have with it is really the ammo, it should have more or at least get more from resupplies.

That said I do feel like the SMG is more all-purpose useful against the bots.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Jeremor posted:

this game is loving sick huh

yea i hate robots and love killin em for freedom

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Someone kicked me for not being fast with the reinforcements? Idk my brain isn’t working right today

Anyway I hope they get arthritis gently caress them

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

JonBolds posted:

This but it’s the difficulty 7+ version and you have to raise like 10 flags across the map.

Nah you have to put in stakes for a mega huge flag that is run up a like 500m tall pole.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

:laffo:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

kaxman posted:

Almost any gun can kill spore towers. They don't seem to have any armor, though they may be resistant to non-explosive damage because missiles, grenades, and AC shots seem to do it fastest.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Happy to be back on malevolon

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

Someone kicked me for not being fast with the reinforcements? Idk my brain isn’t working right today

Anyway I hope they get arthritis gently caress them

their lack of instant dopamine enraged them

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kaxman posted:

I'm sure that's true, just overall for me it did not feel good at all. But I'm glad people disagree about guns, that's basically what they're going for: having personal feel rather than tiers determine gun preference

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003

Sindai posted:

Almost any gun can kill spore towers. They don't seem to have any armor, though they may be resistant to non-explosive damage because missiles, grenades, and AC shots seem to do it fastest.

yeah i know, and you can plink them to death with a breaker from 300 yards too. but the guy said the slugger seems to have a shorter range than the other shotguns, and the spore tower is just a really obvious counterexample because its huge, visible from long range, and gives you a nice red hit indicator. you even get a feel for muzzle velocity shooting at them

e:

Play posted:

I'm sure that's true, just overall for me it did not feel good at all. But I'm glad people disagree about guns, that's basically what they're going for: having personal feel rather than tiers determine gun preference

yeah exactly. its got pluses and minuses and I totally see the recoil being annoying if you like ADS. plus the ammo, though I feel like the real problem is that you get SO LITTLE back from resupplies. like the smg gets over 200 rounds back from a box. meanwhile the tube shotgun user apparently just has a dozen loose shells rolling around in there.

kaxman fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 3, 2024

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

im almost disappointed that the starting gun is so good

they should buff the DMR imo. why would i honestly want a 20 round mag at 112 dmg vs a 45 round mag full auto less recoil at 55 dmg/shot

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

what's the deal with the JAR? It's an explosive type weapon but doesn't deal explosive damage?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I can put in the reinforce code just about instantly if someone dies nearby, but I hold off if they were far away and have a teammate with them so that they aren't getting dumped miles from their gear. it annoys me when that teammate then doesn't reinforce them

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Worf posted:

im almost disappointed that the starting gun is so good

they should buff the DMR imo. why would i honestly want a 20 round mag at 112 dmg vs a 45 round mag full auto less recoil at 55 dmg/shot

Do we know how armor penetration works? I’m convinced that the DMR is more efficient at doing damage to armored targets because of its higher base damage, but that’s based on my completely untested belief that armor is a flat reduction to incoming damage. If that were to be the case, then against a hypothetical target with a beefy 40 armor, the DMR would be doing 72 damage per shot versus the starting AR’s 15, with smaller rounds just bouncing off.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

30 seconds to evac, everyone is dying. Me and a fellow helldiver left

Game just crashes lol

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Armor isn't a flat reduction to damage but instead works by comparing penetration to the armor value. If it's lower then it deflects, if it's equal then it does 50% and if it's higher it does full damage.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Okay, I have come back to level 2 to do a flag raising mission and I am now certified for Helldiving

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Infidelicious posted:

Was the team split up? Only one alert spawns at a time.

Nope all together. The “breach detected” banner just never left the screen and the music was the intense fight music.

In both cases at difficulty 7 not a single bug appeared after we activated Evac for 4 minutes.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Game just crashes lol

Chaotic evacuations with a bunch of reinforcements and heavies, especially bile titans, seems to frequently crash the game ime

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
meta loadout.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/gpqfqQ2.mp4

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

CelticPredator posted:

Game just crashes lol

the game broke before the helldivers did

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

blastron posted:

Do we know how armor penetration works? I’m convinced that the DMR is more efficient at doing damage to armored targets because of its higher base damage, but that’s based on my completely untested belief that armor is a flat reduction to incoming damage. If that were to be the case, then against a hypothetical target with a beefy 40 armor, the DMR would be doing 72 damage per shot versus the starting AR’s 15, with smaller rounds just bouncing off.

From a dev's comment: armor and armor penetration is a number from 0-10, if the bullet's armor penetration # is higher than the armor # of whatever it hits, it deals damage. If the armor # is higher than the armor penetration # the shot ricochets. If the numbers are equal then the shot deals 50% damage

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Interesting, thanks! Do we have anything specific on what counts as “light armor penetrating” on a weapon’s description? Rather, do all weapons with that descriptor have the same value, or is there a range?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Tip for new divers - try to grab an autocannon as soon as you can. The handling sucks, so you'll want to crouch down for decent accuracy, and the blast radius is large enough that using it against enemies in melee range is suicide, but everything else is fantastic. It'll contribute solidly against every enemy type in the game, can destroy both bot and bug spawning buildings, the ammo per magazine is generous, the reload isn't even that slow when you're self-loading, and the backpack contains an obscene amount of extra ammo. It's just a really nice all-rounder support weapon to deal with anything your primary won't mow down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ZearothK posted:

the game broke before the helldivers did

My head canon is we survived 😌