Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Dunc Part Two steelbook is up on AMZ

https://a.co/d/fSTfaae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Tim Whatley posted:

Dunc Part Two steelbook is up on AMZ

https://a.co/d/fSTfaae

Description
Dune, Dune 2, Dune Part 2, Dune Two, Dune Part Two, Dune Sequel,

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
It's up on HMV as well so you'd better believe I pre-ordered that as fast as possible.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I have digital codes for Scream, Scream 2, and Scream 3. It says that they may not be valid after 09/2022, but won't know until you try.

#G018UP9FAPWUMR5
#V5UVS291RBPPGR9
#9JWJKW0GDEKBLB7

# = 3 letters before S

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I just recently had a 2020 code work. Those expiration dates are sometimes a giant farce.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

dorium posted:

I just recently had a 2020 code work. Those expiration dates are sometimes a giant farce.

isn't it Warner Bros that expires theirs on the dot of the printed date, and everyone else lets their work in perpetuity?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Star Trek next gen is my favorite blu ray boxset I own specifically because it has the little episode previews they would air on tv before they showed the episode. And you can just have it play before the episode automatically. Every tv show boxset should have this.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The_Rob posted:

Star Trek next gen is my favorite blu ray boxset I own specifically because it has the little episode previews they would air on tv before they showed the episode. And you can just have it play before the episode automatically. Every tv show boxset should have this.
The Twilight Zone box set lets you show the promo for other CBS shows after each episode, along with the Serling "next week on" preview. It's great.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Criterion should be the first to stop putting out new releases on anything less than Blu-ray.

Perhaps others will follow.

A lot of masters are 2K either because there's not really a need for a 4K DCP. I kind of like how HD and 4K can co-exist because I don't really need a UHD of Laurel and Hardy comedies, but obviously any Scorsese or Kubrick makes sense. Criterion seems to be doing well with their picks as the only two titles I'm disappointed in the lack of 4K were The Tales of Hoffmann (which still looks gorgeous in 1080p) and the upcoming All That Money Can Buy, but it's entirely possible those weren't big enough to justify the cost, despite 4K masters being available.

That's on top of a lot of collectors being disappointed that Criterion isn't including Dolby Vision or HDR on every release, even though they're only omitting HDR on titles either because the HDR grade on foreign releases messed up the image (StudioCanal's French edition of The Trial has blown out highlights because of the HDR) or the filmmakers didn't want it (Triangle of Sadness, Sound of Metal, The Virgin Suicides). They've included HDR on every nitrate-sourced classic, while omitted it on non-nitrate B&W films like Night of the Living Dead and The Rules of the Game (surviving elements are safety).

There's a few titles I think were odd of them to not hold off on for a 4K release right around when they began releasing stuff on the format like Crash and The Elephant Man, but I wonder if the availability in other territories made them think it was a waste of time since the bigger fans would already import.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

The_Rob posted:

I had no idea about this, I'm bumping this set up my wishlist by a million places

Capped off my tax return movie binge with the Criterion of Rosemary's Baby at the flea market for a buck

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Egbert Souse posted:

A lot of masters are 2K either because there's not really a need for a 4K DCP. I kind of like how HD and 4K can co-exist because I don't really need a UHD of Laurel and Hardy comedies, but obviously any Scorsese or Kubrick makes sense. Criterion seems to be doing well with their picks as the only two titles I'm disappointed in the lack of 4K were The Tales of Hoffmann (which still looks gorgeous in 1080p) and the upcoming All That Money Can Buy, but it's entirely possible those weren't big enough to justify the cost, despite 4K masters being available.

That's on top of a lot of collectors being disappointed that Criterion isn't including Dolby Vision or HDR on every release, even though they're only omitting HDR on titles either because the HDR grade on foreign releases messed up the image (StudioCanal's French edition of The Trial has blown out highlights because of the HDR) or the filmmakers didn't want it (Triangle of Sadness, Sound of Metal, The Virgin Suicides). They've included HDR on every nitrate-sourced classic, while omitted it on non-nitrate B&W films like Night of the Living Dead and The Rules of the Game (surviving elements are safety).

There's a few titles I think were odd of them to not hold off on for a 4K release right around when they began releasing stuff on the format like Crash and The Elephant Man, but I wonder if the availability in other territories made them think it was a waste of time since the bigger fans would already import.

More-so a call to stop selling 480p poo poo than anything

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Nightmare Cinema posted:

While DVD still sells well enough, there's not really any justification to do anything DVD-only in 2024. Even standard definition benefits from upscaling and better encoding. Most startling example would be the MST3K episodes that get included as extras on some Shout releases. The quality difference is staggering and they're not even using a significant amount of extra space for the AVC encodes.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
The VS release of Phase IV is incredible. I loved being able to check out (what seems like a good approximation of) the preview screening cut with the original ending, I NEVER do this but I actually rewound the sequence and watched it three times in a row. I loving love movies.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Nightmare Cinema posted:

But if they only sell 480i/p content on physical media then they can gatekeep HD for streaming / on demand revenue! it's a win win for the suits

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Hey look, ask for it and ye shall receive I guess. Do we have an official source confirming this though, other then this random twitter post? I'm not seeing anything else about this online.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
DVDs still do good enough business with a substantial base of aging classic film fans and libraries, so unfortunately I don’t see the format being completely abandoned for at least a few years. That said, every year we find ourselves closer to death, etc etc

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I am continually amazed that DVD still exists and outsells later formats.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

I am continually amazed that DVD still exists and outsells later formats.

outside of this thread and the criterion/bluray ones on SA here, every other place I see this conversation pop up and you'll have half of the people arguing fervently that spending an extra five dollars for something they can't even see the difference on is a complete scam, so there's probably that

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It's way easier (and more affordable, obviously) to obtain something that can play DVDs than something that plays Blurays, and way way easier/more to do it than something that plays 4Ks. And you didn't even need to go out of your way pursuing a player specifically to do it, unlike with those: If you have a laptop older than 3 years ago, you probably have a built-in DVD player. If you have a PS3, you do. A significant amount of TVs have one built in. Etc. I'm just naming the stuff I have that specifically has DVD-playing capabilities without me needing to hook or buy anything up separately

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The PS3 can play Blu-ray’s.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Us nerds account for a tiny share of the market. DVD's sales massively outstrip those of Blu-ray and 4k, even more so. To make a vidyagame analogy, the install base for DVD is the PS2, Blu-ray is the PS5, and UHD is Wii-U. Be glad it's getting support.

Like, I have some titles in UHD but I have no way to play them and have a 1080 set. Nightmare Cinema's 4k-only dream would be a nightmare for me and many others.

This is exasperated by these formats' costs to author, which are inverse to their popularity. A Blu costs more to make than a DVD and a 4k costs exponentially more than a Blu. Even larger boutiques like Kino Lorber can't afford that risk if they don't think the title will sell through at full price (that is, if many people wait until it's being clearance priced). It only takes a couple 4k "flops" to put a label in the red.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm down to less than 50 feature films still stuck on DVD, with the bulk of my remaining collection being short subjects and television. Even those feature films have been steadily decreasing - I think I've been able to consistently take off at least ten a year for the last few years.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
DVDs are dirt cheap, lend themselves toward impulse purchases better than Blu (outside this thread, anyway), are regularly stocked in basically every big box store and most groceries, most people have or have had a dvd player because they were so cheap and plentiful for so long, and a not-insignificant portion of the public (mostly old folks) has no problem watching non-HD stuff.

DVD as a format will outlive Blu and 4K, I’d be willing to put money on it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
People will stream movies on their phones, the quality of a DVD is immaterial.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Edward Mass posted:

People will stream movies on their phones, the quality of a DVD is immaterial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

DVDs are dirt cheap, lend themselves toward impulse purchases better than Blu (outside this thread, anyway), are regularly stocked in basically every big box store and most groceries, most people have or have had a dvd player because they were so cheap and plentiful for so long, and a not-insignificant portion of the public (mostly old folks) has no problem watching non-HD stuff.

DVD as a format will outlive Blu and 4K, I’d be willing to put money on it.

Yeah I think it comes down to the fact that "everyone" had a DVD player before streaming was the norm but not that many people bought or buy BR players. One of my friends genuinely thought BR was a passing fad from 10 years ago.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

And almost everyone who bought a DVD player and replaced their tapes isn't interested in replacing again. The DVD looks fine, mostly. Hell, I watch plenty of DVDs that almost always look... fine. Not miraculous, but half the time it's old TV that was recorded to tape. How good is I, Claudius gonna look if you upscale it?

I have to imagine half the people who still watch physical media are still using the DVD player they bought that first time. And if they had to replace it, how many of them want to bother remembering if it was a blu-ray player or not? Those players play DVDs, too, so what's the risk?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
As someone who releases their own movies on physical media through Made-On-Demand services (Kunaki currently, Amazon CreateSpace back when that existed) DVDs that are MOD (DVD-R) play way more reliably than blu-rays that are MOD (BD-R). So that's a point in the DVD column, at least when it comes to that. If I want to make a quality blu-ray of a film of mine, I have to do an actual small run of it on non BD-Rs.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

Big Mac posted:

The DVD looks fine, mostly. Hell, I watch plenty of DVDs that almost always look... fine.

I have been impressed some of the time by the quality, I've heard it said that DVDs downscaled from a high-quality scan tend to be better. Maybe it's the player's upscaling that's doing a good job. On the other hand, I've also had awful DVDs that are cropped and made from a bad scan to begin with.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

This just reminds me I really want a 4K release of all of Twin Peaks

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

The_Rob posted:

Preview as in clips from the episode you are about to watch, moments before you actually watch the episode?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I've been doing Handbrake 720p upscales of DVDs in my collection and have generally been pleased with how good they look. Not exactly Blu-ray quality, but still fine.

Granted that these are examples of films that were actually mastered in HD for DVD (the 1997 DVD of Amadeus used the 1080i master done for laserdisc a few years prior, as did Pink Floyd The Wall).

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 4, 2024

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CaptainN posted:

Preview as in clips from the episode you are about to watch, moments before you actually watch the episode?

Next time, on STARRRRRRR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION!

I love and miss that guy. I think he narrated the Transformers as well.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Sir Mat of Dickie posted:

I have been impressed some of the time by the quality, I've heard it said that DVDs downscaled from a high-quality scan tend to be better. Maybe it's the player's upscaling that's doing a good job. On the other hand, I've also had awful DVDs that are cropped and made from a bad scan to begin with.

Better quality sources, and better encoding techniques - they seem to be Filling the dvds lately with nice 4+gb encodes, where back in the naughts most releases were like, half that or less for length. There's absolutely an improvement in the last decade's releases on DVD format vs. the 15 years before it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The only DVDs I still own are from TV series that are never going to make it to Blu, and film serials that are only available from niche companies and aren't likely to get new versions anytime soon.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I can easily buy someone saying they can't tell the difference between Blu-ray and 4K UHD. But if people say they sincerely can't tell the difference between DVD and, well, anything over it? If that's true, they need to get their eyes checked. Don't care about the difference? Fine. But no difference? Something is wrong.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A lot of people have a decade-old 42" TV 15 feet away from their couch and watch movies with the lights on. It's not that much of a difference in that scenario.

I, however, have a 72" TV 6 feet away from my couch in my tiny railroad apartment, so I can see every grain of sand in 4K, and every crushed black or bad compression artifact.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I can easily buy someone saying they can't tell the difference between Blu-ray and 4K UHD. But if people say they sincerely can't tell the difference between DVD and, well, anything over it? If that's true, they need to get their eyes checked. Don't care about the difference? Fine. But no difference? Something is wrong.

Most people don’t even notice when a streaming service isn’t actually streaming in full HD or when a YouTube clip has obvious pixelation. You’re vastly overestimating how much the average person gives a single poo poo about this kind of stuff.

Everyone posting in this thread is an outlier.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Most people don’t even notice when a streaming service isn’t actually streaming in full HD or when a YouTube clip has obvious pixelation. You’re vastly overestimating how much the average person gives a single poo poo about this kind of stuff.

Again, if they don't care about the difference that's one thing. That's my wife. She rolls her eyes if we decide we want to show one of our favorite movies to our son because she sees it on HBO/Max or whatever and I say, "No, I have that on 4K." But a couple of months ago, she wanted to watch Bring It On, which we only have on DVD and even she, who couldn't care less about having the best picture remarked about how godawful it looked. I'm saying that if you look at a DVD and a BR or UHD side by side or even one after the other, unless your viewing circumstances are incredibly bad, the difference is huge and anyone with functioning eyeballs should be able to see it whether they care about it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Everyone posting in this thread is an outlier.

:agreed: