Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

looking forward to the bbc reboot of lovejoy in 15 years where a charmingly rogueish antiques dealer (played by wil weaton) cons his landlord into buying intricately faked super mario bros. / duck hunt carts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zulhhue8xQk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

NoiseAnnoys posted:

look at the stunning craftsmanship they put into this muppet adventure :

A ceremonial object used during pre-event fertility rituals, a touching reminder of the deep spirituality of the ancients.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Nenonen posted:

Antique is maybe wrong term to use for software, it is better probably more comparable to ancient classics like Cicero or Plato. What types of data are going to survive from our time, and what kind of picture will they give of us to people 1000 years after us?

Yes I regularly compare my original Pokemon Yellow cartridge to Plato

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

'Vintage' just means 'at least 20 years old' so anything from before 2005 is vintage. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is vintage.

Also my friend runs a scifi collectables stall so if he saved that particular magazine it probably had an interview with some obscure British scifi actor or something

jfc, that means next week my account is considered vintage. going to take it to the thrift shop, see what I can get for it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A friend went to retrieve a box of vintage magazines and newspapers he had in storage and discovered that wasps had been living in it for a while

Might want to pop a quick W on that box so you know it's full of wasps

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Roundup Ready posted:

jfc, that means next week my account is considered vintage. going to take it to the thrift shop, see what I can get for it.

That was a bad year for accounts. It’s worthless.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Roundup Ready posted:

5-10, parole after 3

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Bum the Sad posted:

That was a bad year for accounts. It’s worthless.

:regd04: indeed

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm currently spending my life savings on new SA accounts so I can sell them 20 years in the future, my retirement is secured.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Philippe posted:

Fuckin Exhibit A in: always wear a helmet while cycling

The video looks to me like they hit the base of their neck with the edge of the table, the helmet didn't help. Brutal, normally I chuckle at stuff like this but that one just made me shudder.

Brawnfire posted:

Might want to pop a quick W on that box so you know it's full of wasps

Check it out anyway. There could be something delicious in there that wasps do make.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I would watch the hell out of a wasp unboxing youtube channel

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

A friend went to retrieve a box of vintage magazines and newspapers he had in storage and discovered that wasps had been living in it for a while

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

Check it out anyway. There could be something delicious in there that wasps do make.

All wasps make is spite.

Although...

I do wonder what vintage spite tastes like.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

I thought Charlie was illiterate.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bubblyblubber posted:

*nervously deleting all of my posts*

*setting up script to automatically edit all my posts to consist of goatse one week after going live*

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Fat Loser posted:

All wasps make is spite.

Although...

I do wonder what vintage spite tastes like.

wasps are important pollinators and also eat pest species :colbert:

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

YggiDee posted:

wasps are important pollinators and also eat pest species :colbert:

gently caress ‘em, we don’t need ‘em anymore. The bees are doing the pollinating anyways.

Wait, what?

Folks, I’m hearing some bad news…

brodie0
Jul 28, 2008

Armitag3 posted:

He's less truly illiterate, and more the product of a woefully ineffective school system and awful home environment growing up. And if you take later episodes on face value, he's actually ESL, and is perfectly proficient in Gaelic.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

brodie0 posted:

He's less truly illiterate, and more the product of a woefully ineffective school system and awful home environment growing up. And if you take later episodes on face value, he's actually ESL, and is perfectly proficient in Gaelic.

My favourite thing about Charlie is his moments of informed intellect and salient creativity. Like when he describes Hans Wermhatt; "he flies a biplane and shoots at me in my dreams" which is a blatant reference to North By Northwest, or how he can play piano because "keyboards just make sense" to him.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Armitag3 posted:

Charlie knows lots of letters.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/6ULgrmf.mp4

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

🤌

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
That happened to me a couple of times in skifree

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Captain Hygiene posted:

*setting up script to automatically edit all my posts to consist of goatse one week after going live*

How will anyone tell the difference?

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Armitag3 posted:

he can read and write, he just doesn't like to read and write

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

NoiseAnnoys posted:

look at the stunning craftsmanship they put into this muppet adventure :

:lol: I had the PC version of this, I hated it so much. And I just watched a video talking about how poorly designed and glitchy it was, so at least it wasn't just me

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Mister Speaker posted:

My favourite thing about Charlie is his moments of informed intellect and salient creativity. Like when he describes Hans Wermhatt; "he flies a biplane and shoots at me in my dreams" which is a blatant reference to North By Northwest, or how he can play piano because "keyboards just make sense" to him.

In the always sunny podcast they keep bringing up how they have to strike a balance between making the gang relatable/likeable and being true to the fact that they are all assholes. And that charlie is a difficult one to pull off because we have a soft spot for, if not well intentioned, at least not ill intentioned goofuses.

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021
https://i.imgur.com/IBiKTyB.mp4

bill oreily posted:

Hat comes off, hood comes on. You cant explain that

caspergers has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Mar 3, 2024

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

I miss bills mafia table smashing compilations

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Table took that like a champ

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Fishstick posted:

Table took that like a champ

that table could have been one of those white plastic patio chairs that had been out in the sun the past 10 years and it would have faired just as well with how that guy hit it, his entire torso is past the edge

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Just the right point of leverage to slam that cabeza into the concrete.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

china bot posted:

he can read and write, he just doesn't like to read and write

So he’s aliterate

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

So he’s aliterate

He's more of a maths guy, I think.

https://y.yarn.co/82571aab-4881-4435-ba42-d653d44e7578.mp4

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bubblyblubber posted:

In the always sunny podcast they keep bringing up how they have to strike a balance between making the gang relatable/likeable and being true to the fact that they are all assholes. And that charlie is a difficult one to pull off because we have a soft spot for, if not well intentioned, at least not ill intentioned goofuses.

It's the obvious corollary to whoever wins we lose; whoever loses we win

Haha yeah stub your toes assholes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

So he’s aliterate

pauciliterate

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Bubblyblubber posted:

Not sure if it was on the podcast but I remember hearing that they wrote Dee and Charlie Find Love basically to remind the audience that Charlie is just as much of a monster as the rest of the gang.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nenonen posted:

Motherfucker! :mad:

e: actually this made me think can video games become antique at some point. I doubt that a Pac-Man cabinet from 1980 is going to work in 2080 without some extensive replacement of electronics, and at some point it becomes an arcade of Theseus. But if we consider just the software then if we could preserve all the data so that even WW3 wouldn't wipe it out, then later civilizations could recover the binaries etched on golden plates and hidden in a mountain cave, build an emulator and play Big Rigs thousands of years from now.

PurpleXVI posted:

Games themselves do not become antiques(no one involved in antiques cares about the actual use or fun of it), but just like any other thing, if you've got some older, limited edition version that's been vacuum sealed, someone is going to go insane over it on eBay.

Someone in 2080 will absolutely view a game from 1980 as an antique. Vintage gaming equipment is already super collectable, like these old handheld games:

I remember when the kid who lived next door got one of those, I was so jealous. :v: It was dual screen!!

I recently had a housemate who used to lug a busted Frogger arcade cabinet from house to house whenever he moved and he always talked about restoring it some day but it always just ended up sitting in the corner of his room gathering dust.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Someone in 2080 will absolutely view a game from 1980 as an antique. Vintage gaming equipment is already super collectable, like these old handheld games:

I remember when the kid who lived next door got one of those, I was so jealous. :v: It was dual screen!!

I recently had a housemate who used to lug a busted Frogger arcade cabinet from house to house whenever he moved and he always talked about restoring it some day but it always just ended up sitting in the corner of his room gathering dust.

The first thing you need if you're gonna restore a Frogger machine is holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Scratch Monkey posted:

Vintage is 20 years ago. You know, the 70s!

:hmmyes: