Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

mystes
May 31, 2006

The comics I'm subscribed to on webtoons are all like:
1) Not something that could really be published conventionally
2) Also posted elsewhere
3) Promoted by word of mouth elsewhere and not as far as I know by the algorithm or people finding the comics on the site
4) Possibly also have patreons linked (including directly from webtoons, which the site appears to allow)

One comic I'm subscribed to has around 200k people listed as subscribed on webtoons (maybe more who view it but aren't subscribed?), and again, it probably wouldn't be something that could get properly published anywhere, and it has a patreon which is probably pulling in around $10k-$15k a month, so while this might be an usual case somehow, it seems like they aren't particularly being exploited by the site as far as I can tell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yeah, everyone on webtoons.com the platform have pretty strict requirements to not get delisted and also yeah it's mostly non-american children getting worked to the bone who don't have any other option to really get traction or viewers or money so it's all around a poo poo platform run by lovely people to take advantage of children.

Like a lot of the internet in 2024.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

mystes posted:

30-40 panels total (not with a given frequency)? And do all the comics there have contracts like that that, or just ones that are getting promoted somehow?

per "episode", which is what we would call a page. 30-40 per page. only a VERY select few have these contracts. iirc some ppl can make scraps with an intermediary program thats not just the free hosting but not a contract either but you have to apply and hit the panel minimums

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

i got curious because of the conversation and turns out drunk duck is still out there doing it's thing, now as "the duck webcomics"

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Ivypls posted:

i got curious because of the conversation and turns out drunk duck is still out there doing it's thing, now as "the duck webcomics"

everyone should be reading abbycourt manor

mystes
May 31, 2006

fun hater posted:

per "episode", which is what we would call a page. 30-40 per page. only a VERY select few have these contracts. iirc some ppl can make scraps with an intermediary program thats not just the free hosting but not a contract either but you have to apply and hit the panel minimums
So I mean it sounds like the contracts are awful and webtoons is lovely as a company, but for the vast majority of people publishing on the site, they're not making any money directly anyway, and if they do get money it's going to be via a patreon, so it's kind of irrelevant?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

mystes posted:

So I mean it sounds like the contracts are awful and webtoons is lovely as a company, but for the vast majority of people publishing on the site, they're not making any money directly anyway, and if they do get money it's going to be via a patreon, so it's kind of irrelevant?

because its buying up and shutting down all of its rivals. the parent company of webtoons bought and then immediately shuttered smackjeeves. which like i know. its webcomics. theyre a lowbrow art. but thats our history man. they just wiped that poo poo from collective existence. and for what?? theres no way they actually thought smackjeeves was an actual threat

fun hater
May 24, 2009

being honest, webtoons is an ip farm for naver, who is just buying up comics on the cheap to sell to netflix or Crunchyroll. they bought wattpad for the same reason

e: also i really do realize the absurdity for throwing down for webcomics, the tim buckley medium of choice, but i really think it loving sucks how quickly a space that was once for the biggest freakshows and talented hobbyists is being pushed so hard in the worst directions by a company with 0 appreciation for the medium

fun hater fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 3, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fun hater posted:

the vast majority of my ire is directed at the people who continue to help maintain these scams under the guise of interdisciplinary harmony rather than speaking out about what they know is wrong. my mental image of the people arguing in favor of webtoons is the spineless 30 year old temporarily embarrassed webcomics superstar who wont say a single negative thing about anything they think they can wring a few dollars from.

im sorry about your friend. i wish more people were honest about what its like to ACTUALLY live working in the arts instead of selling plastic promises to people who seem to be under the impression that these artists are entirely self-sufficient and making a living wage
then yeah, you and i are talking about entirely different things here. i agree the type of people you're talking about are morons. i cant blame the artists who rely on that site to support themselves for not speaking out but theres a lot of people who have nothing to lose by talking about it who just dont.

fun hater posted:

being honest, webtoons is an ip farm for naver, who is just buying up comics on the cheap to sell to netflix or Crunchyroll. they bought wattpad for the same reason

e: also i really do realize the absurdity for throwing down for webcomics, the tim buckley medium of choice, but i really think it loving sucks how quickly a space that was once for the biggest freakshows and talented hobbyists is being pushed so hard in the worst directions by a company with 0 appreciation for the medium
if it helps there are still a lot of non-Like This webcomics being made and getting attention. like especially in japan theres a big boom for them.

like its obvs just One That Made it but its still cool seeing a random yuri manga that started out as the artist just posting it to twitter getting physical volumes and ads at train stations. (the guy she was interested in wasnt a guy), and there's other instances of that in japan. its cool. and like i said there's non-Webtoons the Company stuff in korea/china thats popping off. the company sucks but i dont think they're like, at all going to completely eradicate the space or anything. theyre more leeching off whats already happening without them

fun hater
May 24, 2009

i figured i was completely misreading you and that my over-generalization only made sense to me when i remembered that like. no one talks about this poo poo except in private for some reason lol. i wish people had the guts to talk about it because it seems like an obvious moral imperative for the people who simply dont know and would have no way of knowing. sorry for my 'tude, im too into this stupid poo poo

Endorph posted:

like its obvs just One That Made it but its still cool seeing a random yuri manga that started out as the artist just posting it to twitter getting physical volumes and ads at train stations. (the guy she was interested in wasnt a guy), and there's other instances of that in japan. its cool. and like i said there's non-Webtoons the Company stuff in korea/china thats popping off. the company sucks but i dont think they're like, at all going to completely eradicate the space or anything. theyre more leeching off whats already happening without them

this comic also rules. there's a lot of good projects hosted on webtoons what i wish were not subjected to the arbitrary webtoons limitations.

griz grobus plug here. this comic whips so much rear end

fun hater fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 3, 2024

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

fun hater posted:

Speaking as someone who's in the process of trying to get a webcomic project off the ground, one of the other big problems presented by the move to "platforms" over self hosting is that it's also made resources and information for self-hosting harder to find. Back in the day all you really needed to make your own webcomic site was a domain, an installation of Wordpress and the Comicspress plugin, but nowadays that plugin is woefully out of date and it doesn't look like there's really any sort of resource that's been created to replace it because everyone's migrated over to lovely hosting platforms. If anyone happens to know of a way to get a self-hosted comic site built please let me know, because I'll be damned if I'm ever forced to deal with something like WebToonz.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

KingKalamari posted:

Speaking as someone who's in the process of trying to get a webcomic project off the ground, one of the other big problems presented by the move to "platforms" over self hosting is that it's also made resources and information for self-hosting harder to find. Back in the day all you really needed to make your own webcomic site was a domain, an installation of Wordpress and the Comicspress plugin, but nowadays that plugin is woefully out of date and it doesn't look like there's really any sort of resource that's been created to replace it because everyone's migrated over to lovely hosting platforms. If anyone happens to know of a way to get a self-hosted comic site built please let me know, because I'll be damned if I'm ever forced to deal with something like WebToonz.

i know i come off as a putz itt, but if you need help with any of this drop me a DM or an email or something because, knowing this is cheesy as hell, i would be thrilled to see more comics in the world. i use comiccontrol which i find to be very unproblematic and reliable. there's also rarebit, a template for HTML sites. neocities in general is a great resource for people who want a website to host a blog or their insane video game lore theories or something.

comicspress has always been kind of rear end because it was so hard to meaningfully customize, so every webcomic website looked the same. this problem got worse lol

ALSO dont forget to add an RSS feed to your site; social media is tanking and everyone is scattering to the winds. there going to be shrinking opportunities to throw your project into a space that already has a huge, pre-established audience. my caveman solution might not catch on but if people want to be reminded when webcomics update, it's their best option.

ALSO lmfao poo poo sorry i keep remembering new things: a team has taken up projectwonderful mantle and started a new ad network called uh, comicadnetwork lol. if you dont remember project wonderful, you can dm me and i can fill you in on how it operated and the ad bid process and the boring poo poo. it was a great community resource. i would highly encourage you to use them and never ever hold out for any kind of advertising deal from anyone or use google. google comes with so much bullshit its unreal and will turn you into the most neurotic person on earth. direct advertising always and forever gets more results than throwing your ads into a nonsense algorithm.

fun hater fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 3, 2024

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

fun hater posted:

i know i come off as a putz itt, but if you need help with any of this drop me a DM or an email or something because, knowing this is cheesy as hell, i would be thrilled to see more comics in the world. i use comiccontrol which i find to be very unproblematic and reliable. there's also rarebit, a template for HTML sites. neocities in general is a great resource for people who want a website to host a blog or their insane video game lore theories or something.

comicspress has always been kind of rear end because it was so hard to meaningfully customize, so every webcomic website looked the same. this problem got worse lol

Holy crap, this is immensely useful and basically exactly what I've been looking for! Thanks so much!

fun hater
May 24, 2009

KingKalamari posted:

Holy crap, this is immensely useful and basically exactly what I've been looking for! Thanks so much!

my sincere pleasure. i updated the post with a lot more rambling that i hope helps you as well!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Apparently vegetarianism is turning the femboys bi and trans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3reFDwM0yIA
This is the first Finnster video I've seen, but I'd heard of him before. The family ending is:3::allears:

mystes
May 31, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

Apparently vegetarianism is turning the femboys bi and trans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3reFDwM0yIA
This is the first Finnster video I've seen, but I'd heard of him before. The family ending is:3::allears:
Very surprising that f1nn5ter is trans

Edit: Or genderfluid or whatever if he doesn't like the label "trans"

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 4, 2024

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

fun hater posted:

ALSO lmfao poo poo sorry i keep remembering new things: a team has taken up projectwonderful mantle and started a new ad network called uh, comicadnetwork lol. if you dont remember project wonderful, you can dm me and i can fill you in on how it operated and the ad bid process and the boring poo poo. it was a great community resource. i would highly encourage you to use them and never ever hold out for any kind of advertising deal from anyone or use google. google comes with so much bullshit its unreal and will turn you into the most neurotic person on earth. direct advertising always and forever gets more results than throwing your ads into a nonsense algorithm.

i was wondering the other day if project wonderful was still going on, i remembered banners for them on the sides of Problem Sleuth

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

I'm so glad MacHall/Three Panel Soul is still just out there doing their thing.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Clerical Terrors posted:

I'm so glad MacHall/Three Panel Soul is still just out there doing their thing.

It's always nice to see one of the old webcomic names still kicking around and not going absolutely bug-nuts crazy.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

cumpantry posted:

i was wondering the other day if project wonderful was still going on, i remembered banners for them on the sides of Problem Sleuth

it was killed by the hiveworks CEO in an act of corporate spite. i know this bc he bragged abt it to me and others

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

So apparently Wednigoon, the dumbest boy on Youtube and guy who claimed to have been the founder of the Boogaloo Boys for some reason(?), released a video on the Ruby Ridge incident. I am morbidly curious at how much of a trainwreck this video is...

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

KingKalamari posted:

So apparently Wednigoon, the dumbest boy on Youtube

That's a bold claim to make but he does seem like a candidate

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

There's a webtoon series called Along With The Gods which is one of those epic adventures involving the nether realms but imo, pretty bad and melodramatic going into emotionally manipulative territories. They managed to make two whole movies out of it that made a lot of money but the films themselves are also awful, one even had ma dong seok (the big guy from train to busan and a bunch of very entertaining cop shows on netflix) who couldn't save the film from being melodramatic slop

Another series Sweet Home (not related to the old Japanese game and movie) which is an apocalyptic story where only one apartment building is left standing against the horde of zombie mutants everywhere and the protagonist is a neet shut in who is also a very special boy who has zombie mutant powers as well, they made a Netflix series of it which is also not very good but very popular, notably every action scene uses a specific imagine dragons song so you have to hear that song every episode

Recently the platform courted controversy because they have a series, I can't remember the name but possibly something generic like School Days, which has a Korean teacher in the US I think, where it became more and more obvious that the author is incredibly racist until an episode had black students being rowdy and the teacher does a dramatic attack against the most villainous kid by calling him the N word. People were twisting their backs trying to claim oh this is Korean culture lmao and they finally took it down when people yelled enough about it

There's another series, I can't remember the name as well, probably some generic poo poo, which is notable because it actually promotes school shooter behaviour. This kid got bullied into a coma by 8 other kids but nothing was done so his parents self immolated in protest. When he wakes up he gets some magical sword and then trains himself to be Guts from Berserk and the whole series is just him one punch man style killing the other 8 kids and their parents and everyone standing in his way including the Korean military, and the villains are so badly written that you start thinking they may have a point in bullying this kid

fun hater
May 24, 2009

The Saddest Rhino posted:

There's another series, I can't remember the name as well, probably some generic poo poo, which is notable because it actually promotes school shooter behaviour. This kid got bullied into a coma by 8 other kids but nothing was done so his parents self immolated in protest. When he wakes up he gets some magical sword and then trains himself to be Guts from Berserk and the whole series is just him one punch man style killing the other 8 kids and their parents and everyone standing in his way including the Korean military, and the villains are so badly written that you start thinking they may have a point in bullying this kid

loling at how unhinged this is

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm glad the tradition of wild and lovely webcomics continues, at least. Regardless of the form.

Does anyone else remember Jack? The furry webcomic about hell that began with the main character being aborted?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Skippy McPants posted:

Does anyone else remember Jack? The furry webcomic about hell that began with the main character being aborted?

Unfortunately I do.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm glad the tradition of wild and lovely webcomics continues, at least. Regardless of the form.

And don't forget the second chapter, appropriately enough, was about a school shooter who gets stopped because another kid happened to also bring a gun to school that day!

Also the Twin Towers show up, with one having apparently gone to heaven and the other having gone to hell and they both have big, cartoony holes in them.

And also a bunch of the plots are just blatant rip-offs of existing media properties.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

KingKalamari posted:

the dumbest boy on Youtube

Thanks for inadvertently reminding me of another Dumbest Boy on Youtube. Let's all watch this instead of any wendigoon video.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Found the racist school series ("Get Schooled") and apparently they removed it from the US site but the Korean site still gets to read all their crazy poo poo

(EDIT: Spoilered for racism)

also they have problems with women how is that not surprising

while searching for that i stumbled across sinfest accidentally doing a pro lgbtq comic

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 4, 2024

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sinfest is a fascinating case study. Of what, I’m not exactly sure, but it is fascinating to see what the man turned into from being a pretty typical 2004 webcomic guy.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

KingKalamari posted:

Also the Twin Towers show up, with one having apparently gone to heaven and the other having gone to hell and they both have big, cartoony holes in them.

I do seem to vaguely recall this comic having a thing for holes

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The School Shooter behaviour comic is called Rooftop Sword Master and this is the cover page

in comparison this is the actual comic art

yeah the titular sword is a CG model clumsily edit into every panel it's in from what i'm aware

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Does that fuckin thing have a piece of rebar holding it together?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cover looks like a trace of Chris in RE Village

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Guy A. Person posted:

Does that fuckin thing have a piece of rebar holding it together?
pretty sure it's supposed to be a handle, because that's cool

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Another series Sweet Home (not related to the old Japanese game and movie) which is an apocalyptic story where only one apartment building is left standing against the horde of zombie mutants everywhere and the protagonist is a neet shut in who is also a very special boy who has zombie mutant powers as well, they made a Netflix series of it which is also not very good but very popular

Probably for the one lady's abs who is original to the Netflix series. They are admittedly pretty impressive.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Dawgstar posted:

Probably for the one lady's abs who is original to the Netflix series. They are admittedly pretty impressive.

Oh that lady is great in the show even though her subplot is superfluous, I wish she was the protag instead of the kid. On another note I see to recall the one thing they removed from the Netflix series was the kid's drive to survive mainly fueled by him really wanting to watch some moe anime series and every time he was at the brink of death he would think of the anime characters. Like I'm sure it's not intended that he was sexually attracted to them but lmao good luck interpreting that on tv

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The school webtoon with the guy saying the N word has some insane premise too like the protag is some hotshot undercover cop who's called in to be a substitute teacher to solve problem kids or something goofy like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Another series Sweet Home (not related to the old Japanese game and movie) which is an apocalyptic story where only one apartment building is left standing against the horde of zombie mutants everywhere and the protagonist is a neet shut in who is also a very special boy who has zombie mutant powers as well, they made a Netflix series of it which is also not very good but very popular, notably every action scene uses a specific imagine dragons song so you have to hear that song every episode

I liked the first season of Sweet Home. It took so long for the second season to happen, I don't have much faith its going to be good and haven't bothered to watch it.