Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Nihilarian posted:

There should be a spectral card that you can use to make a joker eternal

Does eternal prevent popcorn depleting or does it get to 0 and just sit there forever at 0

Popcorn and similar cards can't be eternal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The food jokers and jokers that have to be sold to do anything, other than the egg for some reason, can't have an eternal sticker.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

loving FINALLY

all decks unlocked! one day i will go for gold stake but today is definitely not that day.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Einwand posted:

The food jokers and jokers that have to be sold to do anything, other than the egg for some reason, can't have an eternal sticker.

The egg at least gets to have synergy with that tarot that gives you sell value and swashbuckler

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Won my first game! :yaycat:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:lol: I popped my first <10% achievement for winning black stake (yellow deck flushes, hearts +4 mult, vampire, card sharp, the joker that boosts x-mult for using planet cards), and looked through the achievements to see what else there is.

Gold stickers on every joker! I can't imagine how much you'd have to play to get that one.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Veryslightlymad posted:

Off topic, but it feels stupid to PM someone over something so trivial: Is your avatar from something, or is it a custom? I like that style of animation. Very reminiscent of Crawl.

No idea where it's from. Mod got it from typing my name in an image search.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Yeah, that's why I'm sticking with it on Switch for now. I'm still trying to win one time with each default deck so those trophies just seem cruel to my lowly Balatro brain.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

Won my first game! :yaycat:

:cheers:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm also at the stage where I can only win with flushes though (just beat blue stake!)

I think part of it is that you need to commit to a build fairly early, and there are 4 arcanas that will flip THREE cards to a suit. It's very easy to just go "ah, well I don't know what I'm doing right now, but now I have a deck that's weighted to spade flushes sooooooo"

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

PostNouveau posted:

I'm also at the stage where I can only win with flushes though (just beat blue stake!)

I think part of it is that you need to commit to a build fairly early, and there are 4 arcanas that will flip THREE cards to a suit. It's very easy to just go "ah, well I don't know what I'm doing right now, but now I have a deck that's weighted to spade flushes sooooooo"

There is a spectral that changes ALL of the cards shown to a random suit. Its pretty much the only way I have gotten the special flushes.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
The highest hands are both flushes, so I get why the game would be biased to it.

My issue is the "hidden" hands are under level by the time I can make them, so my regular flush beats out 5 flush. Makes it hard to improve them.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

War Wizard posted:

The highest hands are both flushes, so I get why the game would be biased to it.

My issue is the "hidden" hands are under level by the time I can make them, so my regular flush beats out 5 flush. Makes it hard to improve them.

Oh that's no big deal, you just have to get incredibly lucky with skip tags while using an Anaglpyh deck :haw:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I made a balatro simulator, for those times when I have no idea how to order my cards and it's my only hand left.
https://buffoonery.online

It's still a work in progress so please let me know if it's too broken. I have mostly tested it with early saves so I'm really curious if it holds up for high level hands.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Looking at it briefly, it doesn't appear to correctly acknowledge "held in hand" abilities or steel.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

I made a balatro simulator, for those times when I have no idea how to order my cards and it's my only hand left.
https://buffoonery.online

It's still a work in progress so please let me know if it's too broken. I have mostly tested it with early saves so I'm really curious if it holds up for high level hands.

This is really neat, thank you for making it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Einwand posted:

Looking at it briefly, it doesn't appear to correctly acknowledge "held in hand" abilities or steel.

Oops, fixed. At least the steel cards.
https://buffoonery.online?game=Joke...1K%3A1%2CHC%3A1

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is there some way to get steel cards (and kings triggered by Baron) to go later in the order of operations or are they just gonna do what they do

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

More messing about to try and find things that are broken, it seems like it's copying the edition from source jokers for brainstorm/blueprint, which isn't how it works in actual Balatro.

You can reorder your hand to change the order of "held in hand" ability triggers but I think the only way that ever matters is if you have shoot the moon + steel cards.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Badger of Basra posted:

Is there some way to get steel cards (and kings triggered by Baron) to go later in the order of operations or are they just gonna do what they do

Your cards that trigger from hand trigger from left to right. This can get annoying if you have Baron + Shoot The Moon, since it defaults to sorting higher cards on the left but you want your kings on the right.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

:capitalism:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

What's the easiest way to get down to hand size 5 for that one voucher

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Color Printer posted:

Several spectral packs have permanent handsize reduction, Stuntman joker is good for -2.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Color Printer posted:

I would assume run Ghost Deck and hammer every Spectral Pack you see to try and find -1 Hand Size cards?

You could get a head start on it by playing Gold Stake. :v:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

the holy poopacy posted:

Several spectral packs have permanent handsize reduction, Stuntman joker is good for -2.

Yeah I also need to shoot for a nutty rear end hand to unlock that one

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Color Printer posted:

Play on Gold stake since it reduces the hand size by default, aggressively search for and open spectral packs since they're the easiest way of reducing your hand size. Use the Ghost deck so spectral cards will show up in shops. Alternately use Anaglyph for free double tags and use them on spectral packs.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Einwand posted:

More messing about to try and find things that are broken, it seems like it's copying the edition from source jokers for brainstorm/blueprint, which isn't how it works in actual Balatro.

Ohh, that's a nice detail I'd have never discovered on my own. Fixed it, but yeah, the blueprint cards are probably the hardest thing to handle.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i know one hand isn't anything in the grand scheme, and it's a real good unlock, but discarding a royal flush wounded my soul

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

i know one hand isn't anything in the grand scheme, and it's a real good unlock, but discarding a royal flush wounded my soul

I did that yesterday I think.

I already had the unlock

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
What's the highest number of jokers you've seen for yourself or someone else? I just reached 17 with Anaglyph, not that it helped me get past Ante 12.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

get the joker the makes all cards treated as face cards. then i get the +4 mult on facecards! yes! and the 1 in 2 chance to win a few dollars off a face card! yes! but then... the boss that makes all face cards drawn face down. the balatro devs owned me so hard. i'm pretty sure they were watching my screen and laughing. the bastards

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

FPyat posted:

What's the highest number of jokers you've seen for yourself or someone else? I just reached 17 with Anaglyph, not that it helped me get past Ante 12.

i bet the jokers had to be really small. sounds so satisfying.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Probably discussed before, but apparently the highest ante you can get to is 39, before you have to beat "Not a number"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nltHmlXRBQU

Is there a non-number you can make that beats the house's non-numbers? I guess not

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?

Hell Yeah posted:

get the joker the makes all cards treated as face cards. then i get the +4 mult on facecards! yes! and the 1 in 2 chance to win a few dollars off a face card! yes! but then... the boss that makes all face cards drawn face down. the balatro devs owned me so hard. i'm pretty sure they were watching my screen and laughing. the bastards

i had this yesterday and it ruined my red stake run

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

Off topic, but it feels stupid to PM someone over something so trivial: Is your avatar from something, or is it a custom? I like that style of animation. Very reminiscent of Crawl.
its from duelyst, a card-based tactics pvp game that died a few years back and then got revived as an open source thing. https://duelyst.gg/

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Hell Yeah posted:

could be worse, you could've gotten the boss that debuffs all face cards

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Relyssa posted:

could be worse, you could've gotten the boss that debuffs all face cards

If your jokers and hand levels are very good you can ignore it no sweat.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

FPyat posted:

If your jokers and hand levels are very good you can ignore it no sweat.

It depends. I posted earlier about a really strong setup I had which became completely worthless with debuffed faces. Fives of a kind didn't cut it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BabyRyoga posted:

Probably discussed before, but apparently the highest ante you can get to is 39, before you have to beat "Not a number"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nltHmlXRBQU

Is there a non-number you can make that beats the house's non-numbers? I guess not

Wow, number go way up

lol it takes like a full minute to count these hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Just had a sick run with Ghost deck, my first joker was the one that gives x2 if you have a Flush, made it Polychrome, then copied it. My goal was to do no pairs and no straights, and managed both, ended up with like 25 played flushes, and a level of 10, but died around ante 11, wasn't focused too much.

Unlocked both jokers I wanted so goal done, and now I'm only missing one blind, I beat the last ante 8 one I was missing for the collection