Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

a lovely king posted:

There was definitely a theory that End and the Death would have some major lore shakeups it that'd affect future books. But how that bears out now its been published I don't know.

It turned out there weren't any shakeups :shrug: I liked all three volumes of TEatD but ultimately things were what was expected based on the prior 30 years of fiction, just better-written and in great detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Interesting they had to split Fall of Cadia into two parts for the German translation. I know German is famously a little wordy.

I wonder how many pages the German translation is.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

there’s a couple little “oh that’s neat” moments in TEATD3 but it doesn’t fundamentally rewrite the lore. finding out stuff like the origins of lilean chase and that Xanthus (one of the Inquisition’s founders) is Basilio Fo is cool, but if you expected anything other than “Horus fights the Emperor, the Emperor kills Horus, the Emperor is badly wounded and gets installed on the Golden Throne” then I don’t know what to tell you.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

there’s a couple little “oh that’s neat” moments in TEATD3 but it doesn’t fundamentally rewrite the lore. finding out stuff like the origins of lilean chase and that Xanthus (one of the Inquisition’s founders) is Basilio Fo is cool, but if you expected anything other than “Horus fights the Emperor, the Emperor kills Horus, the Emperor is badly wounded and gets installed on the Golden Throne” then I don’t know what to tell you.

New book series coming soon: The Real Horus Heresy

“I’m sure you’ve heard the stories about the civil war. As they say, everything is canon, but none of what you read is true. My name is Garviel Loken, and I’m here to tell you what REALLY happened.”

Another 20-year 60-book series aw yeah baybee!

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Xenomrph posted:

New book series coming soon: The Real Horus Heresy

“I’m sure you’ve heard the stories about the civil war. As they say, everything is canon, but none of what you read is true. My name is Garviel Loken, and I’m here to tell you what REALLY happened.”

Another 20-year 60-book series aw yeah baybee!

I just want one 'Trazyn the Infinite Presents the Horus Heresy' jokebook/novel length shitpost about the whole thing.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Prepare yourself for The War In Heaven series, a quick 10-book series that surely won’t explode into decades worth of novels.

This would never happen because there is absolutely no way they will make new eldar sculpts.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I am conflicted about a potential War in Heaven series, on one hand a purely xenos series that really explores the origins of the Necrons, Eldar, Orks and even Chaos sounds absolutely fascinating but on the other hand a lot of that stuff works a lot better being a big mystery. If it was just Abnett, ADB, Wraight and some of the new authors that have successfully written xenos books maybe it could work but I worry about the poo poo that someone like Gav Thorpe or Nick Kyme would write.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

OPAONI posted:

I just want one 'Trazyn the Infinite Presents the Horus Heresy' jokebook/novel length shitpost about the whole thing.

Written as him taking a guest through all his perfect dioramas, except at the end he says that nobody actually knows what happened after the Emperor launched his teleport assault, it's one of the great mysteries of the ages (because he hasn't retrieved the necessary components to fill out his Emperor-versus-Horus showdown diorama yet).

I want to see a book about tyranids, with no dialogue of any sort, written nature-documentary style explicitly to be narrated by David Attenborough. I know Attenborough himself is too old to participate in such a project but surely there's an imitator who can be hired.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Kylaer posted:

Written as him taking a guest through all his perfect dioramas, except at the end he says that nobody actually knows what happened after the Emperor launched his teleport assault, it's one of the great mysteries of the ages (because he hasn't retrieved the necessary components to fill out his Emperor-versus-Horus showdown diorama yet).

I want to see a book about tyranids, with no dialogue of any sort, written nature-documentary style explicitly to be narrated by David Attenborough. I know Attenborough himself is too old to participate in such a project but surely there's an imitator who can be hired.

https://youtu.be/dB6uWwL565s?si=K251j-40EBYYWzkD

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

I should have known I wouldn't be the first one to think of this, and of course voice imitator programs are a thing now :admech101:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

I am conflicted about a potential War in Heaven series, on one hand a purely xenos series that really explores the origins of the Necrons, Eldar, Orks and even Chaos sounds absolutely fascinating but on the other hand a lot of that stuff works a lot better being a big mystery. If it was just Abnett, ADB, Wraight and some of the new authors that have successfully written xenos books maybe it could work but I worry about the poo poo that someone like Gav Thorpe or Nick Kyme would write.

Imagine if Fehervari wrote the series.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Kylaer posted:

I should have known I wouldn't be the first one to think of this, and of course voice imitator programs are a thing now :admech101:

I have seen loads more, I just can't find them

I can actually imagine him doing it for real. GW are a great British brand, they don't have any weird stink associated with them, and I am sure he must have grandkids who would love it

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Eh, while it isn't fossil fuel per se, GW does rely on oil a whole lot, and could be used to damage his argument regarding the environment. So I could see that, if it ever came across his radar, he would decline the work.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think plastics use a small amount and it could all be renewably sourced. I only know this from discussion I read on the value of oil in a post fossil fuel economy. (“Considerable, because of plastics and chemicals, but much lower per barrel”)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

I think factions like the eldar could use a bit more fleshing out. They have a sort of vicious cycle where they don't really have many fun stories with cool characters to drive demand for more stories with cool characters so they don't end up super popular as a faction.

At the very least a bit more fleshing out of what the eldar gods even are would be nice.

Power option: break Isha out of Nurgles garden for a new huge centerpiece model that isn't for the ynarri.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

D-Pad posted:

Imagine if Fehervari wrote the series.

I don't think Fehervari is particularly interested in writing xenos; his T'au were great but also basically human in psychological terms.

However, I could see him writing some amazing Unification stories :unsmigghh:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Sharkopath posted:

I think factions like the eldar could use a bit more fleshing out. They have a sort of vicious cycle where they don't really have many fun stories with cool characters to drive demand for more stories with cool characters so they don't end up super popular as a faction.

At the very least a bit more fleshing out of what the eldar gods even are would be nice.

Power option: break Isha out of Nurgles garden for a new huge centerpiece model that isn't for the ynarri.

I agree. I probably know less about the Eldar than any race except for Voltann, and they seem like they have a lot of things that could lead to good hooks if GW would just commit.

Isha isn’t a bad idea, especially since she functionally isn’t doing anything from a story perspective to my knowledge.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Rumor is that Gav Thorpe considers the Eldar his baby and tends to monopolize their novels at the expense of other authors getting a shot at them so I wouldn't expect much anytime soon.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

A friend of mine is looking for some good books about the Eldar to read. Any suggestions?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

AnEdgelord posted:

Rumor is that Gav Thorpe considers the Eldar his baby and tends to monopolize their novels at the expense of other authors getting a shot at them so I wouldn't expect much anytime soon.

Michaellaneous posted:

A friend of mine is looking for some good books about the Eldar to read. Any suggestions?

a beautiful sequence of posts

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Michaellaneous posted:

Valedor by Guy Haley is the only full novel I really like, although Asurmen by Gav Thorpe has some fun sequences.

Path of Grief is a very good short story but they haven't had the author back since.

That's about all I'd recommend.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 4, 2024

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Mike Brooks basically back-doored his way into making a Dark Eldar novel with Da Big Dakka so maybe check that out

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Michaellaneous posted:

Graham McNeill's Priests of Mars has some Eldar in it.

They get owned by DAOT AI-ship with a timeshifting black hole cannon.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

Graham McNeill's Priests of Mars has some Eldar in it.

They get owned by DAOT AI-ship with a timeshifting black hole cannon.

If you want a book that has Eldar in it without being the major focus I think The Last Hunt is a very cool appearance by them.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

Mike Brooks basically back-doored his way into making a Dark Eldar novel with Da Big Dakka so maybe check that out

Eduardo Albert did a very similar thing in Silent Hunters. I enjoyed Da Big Dakka more because the Space Sharks are so unlikable as protagonists but it's a well-written book and the Dark Eldar content is solid.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

AnEdgelord posted:

Da big dakka is an incredible Ork book, the secret sauce of Mike Brooks's Ork books is some arrogant prick underestimating the Orks and getting their comeuppance. Combine that with the towering ego of the Dark Eldar and it makes it all the funnier. Speaking of the Dark Eldar it's probably the best Drukhari book in the whole Black Library catalog, really drills into what makes them tick.

Maybe I'm an outlier but I really like Path of the Dark Eldar. I'd totally recommend it to anyone wanting more 'digging into what makes the Dark Eldar tick.' On the other hand, I found Path of the Eldar not great. Not great at all but maybe that's just because the Dark Eldar are inherently more interesting :v:

Edit: Da Big Dakka btw was amazing and I loved the Dark Eldar POV in it. Above isn't to say anything bad at all about it or Mike Brooks' depections.

orphean fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 5, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

AnEdgelord posted:

the secret sauce of Mike Brooks's Ork books is some arrogant prick underestimating the Orks and getting their comeuppance. Combine that with the towering ego of the Dark Eldar and it makes it all the funnier.

I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling gitz and your stupid waagh!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

AnEdgelord posted:

the secret sauce of Mike Brooks's Ork books is some arrogant prick underestimating the Orks and getting their comeuppance.

Also a key element of Crowley's Enemy of my Enemy and Ghazghull: Prophet Of The Waaaagh books.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Have we had a Cain novel that covers his time with the Dark Eldar yet? I know it gets referred to a lot, but I don't recall anything written about his imprisonment/escape, etc

Oh god... it's going to involve someone seducing someone to escape, isn't it?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Cain was secretly that commissar that staged that massive break out on Commiragh which hosed up an okay chunk of the city.

Also absolutely destroyed a wych in the arena.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Cain's time in Comorragh has been classified Incidentus noodleium :admech101:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Cain was secretly that commissar that staged that massive break out on Commiragh which hosed up an okay chunk of the city.

Also absolutely destroyed a wych in the arena.

I remember that story, not bad for older 40k fiction where things were a lot more miss than hit.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

So I'm on a bit of a Mike Brooks roll lately. I read the Lion novel, which is just some stuff that happened. Then on to Harrowmaster, which just starts fast and interesting and stays that way for the half of the book I've read so far. I definitely picked the right order to read those in. On to Ork stuff next!

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Son of the Forest features a Chaos marine whose head is permanently on fire :rock: and basically no other really interesting or clever stuff.

Huron Blackheart: Master of the Maelstrom is even more skippable/forgettable in my opinion.

The rest of Brooks' stuff ranges from decent to excellent. I liked the Alpharius primarch book, if you like Harrowmaster you might consider reading that before going to the Orks stuff.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Cooked Auto posted:

I remember that story, not bad for older 40k fiction where things were a lot more miss than hit.

The one about the ultramarine turning plague marine then redeeming himself was also pretty solid and like the only instance of anything remotely like that happening in the lore from what I can tell.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Telsa Cola posted:

The one about the ultramarine turning plague marine then redeeming himself was also pretty solid and like the only instance of anything remotely like that happening in the lore from what I can tell.
Did people ever like change sides for a year and then go "whoa, WHOA, whoa there Horus" and bounce back to the Emperor?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I enjoyed reading Huron but don't remind a single thing about it tbh

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kylaer posted:

The rest of Brooks' stuff ranges from decent to excellent. I liked the Alpharius primarch book, if you like Harrowmaster you might consider reading that before going to the Orks stuff.

The problem with the Alpharius book is that it's just a list of things that (may or may not have) happened. It never felt like an actual story.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I picked up the Fabius Bile omnibus and it's pretty great. One has to appreciate a character whose arrogance is so monumental as to make a Keeper of Secrets shut the hell up.

"Names are for the sentient."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Nessus posted:

Did people ever like change sides for a year and then go "whoa, WHOA, whoa there Horus" and bounce back to the Emperor?

Not quite since it's Sabbat Crusade instead of the Heresy but there's a great short story in the latest Sabbat anthology, by Graham McNeil of all people, about a group of traitor Guard deciding they want to die loyal to the Throne.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

The problem with the Alpharius book is that it's just a list of things that (may or may not have) happened. It never felt like an actual story.

That's valid, I still liked it though. And my take on the "This is a lie" is that it's Omegon telling the story, not Alpharius, and the events are otherwise truthfully described because they're cool and I want them to be true :buddy: