Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You can see the Odradek through cargo but even then it helps to switch shoulders so the Odradek is closer to the center of your screen. On console/controller click the right stick/zoom button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The key thing with BTs is to take your time. They generally don't move unless alerted so stopping every so often to make them visible and planning a route to give them a wide berth is a safe strategy. Their hearing is also worse than you think - you don't really have to hold your breath unless one has already noticed you or you need to walk directly next to one.

Another thing to bear in mind is that even while crouchwalking, how far you're tilting the stick will affect how much noise you're making. Moving more slowly can let you get right up to a BT without holding your breath at all.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Getting to 1000 seems doable with reasonably fast presses. I think I got close to 2000 or more when like, preparing to mash with maximum speed. I suppose I could use an auto clicker or something to click every millisecond to see what the technical limit is but I like just spamming naturally. Helps they picked great sound effects for everything. The sound design in this game is great in general.

1000 likes is the hard limit, it wont let you go past that

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Having put in a few extra zip lines in the mountain area I was able to make two large deliveries to both the mountaineer and the roboticist without any driving or walking. Just zipped along through the blowing snow, flying above ghosts. I had to make the long uphill climb to get to the spiritualist but I put a zip line up there too when I was done and now I'm zipping all over. Surprised to see that not one of my zip lines has a like, considering that what I've done allows you to go from the distro to all the local preppers.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I bought this game on iOS and Mac and I am loving impressed at how well it ran on the shittiest base M1 MacBook Air. Or at least it did until I ran into several game breaking bugs every time I hit the incinerator for the first time. It’s a shame too because it was buttery smooth 60 FPS until everything ground to a halt. Good thing this game is so great in the first two hours that I was willing to buy it on PS5 and start from scratch.

I swear I spent the last 2 hours crying - this was by far Kojima’s best work and the whole environment and setting, the graphics, and the acting just create a uniquely haunting, desolate, and yet emotional journey. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve loved playing through the Metal Gear series and there were some great moments, but I don’t think anything in prior games comes close to the emotional gut punch at the end of Sam realizing he’s the BB and Cliff is his father. It’s funny how effective the writing and acting is here because I had worked out that Sam was BB waaaaay earlier in the game but the moment still hits perfectly.

And now I’m finally caught up on the Death Stranding 2 trailer and am super hyped for part 2.

While I wait, it’s time to finish my interstate highway. During the main story I linked up Lake Knot to South Knot, now I’m about the connect the road that starts at the Distribution Center south of Lake Knot to Mountain Knot.

The gameplay at its core is just so fun especially on PS5 - the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers make gunplay feel awesome and I love the weapons and tools that get unlocked in the late game. Combat felt very challenging in some spots but it never felt like it was out of my hands to survive enemy encounters. Unfortunately the BT encounters stopped being scary after the first one, and then you get more weapons and tools to punk them later in the game, but for me the best parts of this game are traversing the landscape.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 29, 2024

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/wrathofgnon/status/1763138299085091110

huh

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Did they carry traditional hand crafted piss grenades though

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
trad twitter hasn't gotten around to extolling their virtues yet, sorry. i'll keep you updated

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Spending the last few days of play exploring, building and ziplining around with almost no ghost stuff has been nice. But it can't last.

I also noticed that most of the paving machines in the region have almost no materials donated which is a bummer.

EDIT: VVV Yes, it's connected. I do see notifications now and then about other people donating but it's a long way to go for most of them.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 1, 2024

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Is the autopaver's region connected to the chiral network? No? Then you'll be the main contributor for materials.

(It might even be sole contributor, it's been a while and I didn't play the DC.)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

me playing DS: lol the loads sam carries are completely unrealistic, i've taken 15kg up a mountain and it was drat hard work. someone actually fit could do more sure but 100+ kg? nahhhh
irl japanese dudes: get good scrub

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I got a multi-stage set of missions and had to carry alot of stuff on foot but I figured I'd finally be running into ghosts again so I brought my blood grenades and for the sake of lightness the BT pistol. Things were going ok until I ran into unkillable orange BTs. I tried to creep up on one to see if I would get a prompt to cut their cord but wound up getting dragged into a tar pit instead. I managed to extricate myself and get past the area but it made me wonder what the right method is to kill those things.

EDIT: At the top of the dicey slog through Ghost Country my battery was almost empty even though I carry an additional one on my pack, and the big container I'd been hauling was eaten up pretty badly from timefall so I built a charger and timefall shelter next to the prepper bunker to help out whichever poor sod has to make that trip after me.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 1, 2024

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Mierenneuker posted:

Is the autopaver's region connected to the chiral network? No? Then you'll be the main contributor for materials.

(It might even be sole contributor, it's been a while and I didn't play the DC.)

Even once connected, I basically had to finish the mountain roads myself. There was one segment in the route through the mountains from Mountain Knot down to the earlier chunk of the map that was done, but almost everything curving around through the distribution center and down to Mountain Knot were barely touched. This was right after DC was in a Humble Choice, so when there should have been at least something of a surge of players, too. Something might be up with those roads and how the game handles them, or maybe a lot of people just drop off before really setting out to Mountain Knot.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

I got a multi-stage set of missions and had to carry alot of stuff on foot but I figured I'd finally be running into ghosts again so I brought my blood grenades and for the sake of lightness the BT pistol. Things were going ok until I ran into unkillable orange BTs. I tried to creep up on one to see if I would get a prompt to cut their cord but wound up getting dragged into a tar pit instead. I managed to extricate myself and get past the area but it made me wonder what the right method is to kill those things.

I believe you can cord cut them but it's usually better to just avoid them.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Cord cutting is the only way to get rid of those. They’re generally no harder to kill using that method, but you just need to make sure you’re not spotted.

Is it ever possible to clear an area of BT’s permanently, or do they respawn? I took out that whole crater where the collectors old shelter used to be (with the ruined mall), but I still get BT warnings and timefall there

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you get grabbed and the big boss BT shows up, you can kill it or escape from it and that will temporarily clear the area of BTs (even if it's normally a perma-BT area). You can never permanently clear BTs from an area though, they'll always come back eventually.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like the cord cutting best because they seem most grateful for it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

disposablewords posted:

[...] This was right after DC was in a Humble Choice, so when there should have been at least something of a surge of players, too. Something might be up with those roads and how the game handles them, or maybe a lot of people just drop off before really setting out to Mountain Knot.

There is a lot of things unknown about how the interaction with the servers works, but I find it hard to believe it would look hard at current players. I think it looks at what has been achieved before and gradually distributes a lot of things. I imagine even the people who played the game at launch or had review copies were able to rely on a mountain of data from the QA testers. It happens gradually and is partly based on how far you are along in the game and how long you have been playing (and if an area is connected to the chiral network of course).

Getting the notification that a different player delivered a package you dropped? Getting a lot of likes when you've booted up the game again? Certain things are happening in the moment

...but that safehouse you just walked by? Could have been put there long ago, it doesn't matter that it just appeared for you in a pristine state (I think the servers don't save the current state of structures).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Eventually you will get so used to getting past huge groups of BTs that they’re never really a threat. Once you start to be able to read the Odradek’s signals and all the other indicators of activity you can speed past just about anything in the wider open world.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Epic Games problems this morning getting between me and MY DELIVERY SIDE HUSTLE. :argh:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 2, 2024

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Mierenneuker posted:

There is a lot of things unknown about how the interaction with the servers works, but I find it hard to believe it would look hard at current players. I think it looks at what has been achieved before and gradually distributes a lot of things. I imagine even the people who played the game at launch or had review copies were able to rely on a mountain of data from the QA testers. It happens gradually and is partly based on how far you are along in the game and how long you have been playing (and if an area is connected to the chiral network of course).

Getting the notification that a different player delivered a package you dropped? Getting a lot of likes when you've booted up the game again? Certain things are happening in the moment

...but that safehouse you just walked by? Could have been put there long ago, it doesn't matter that it just appeared for you in a pristine state (I think the servers don't save the current state of structures).

That doesn't change the possibility that a lot of people just drop off before Mountain Knot, providing not as much work on the roads for the network to grab. I finished the game, but didn't bother with the new road between Mountain Knot and down the mountain to Southern Distro/Weather Station/etc. area because I was working on a zipline network instead, and nothing but that one segment ever filled in for me. Honestly, very little spawned in for me in the mountains in general.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

About 50% of the loop that goes from the Craftsman around to Mountain Knot and the distribution center south of Lake Knot is built in my game instance, and I only contributed to the portion from the Craftsman to the distribution center near Mountain Knot. So somebody contributed materials somewhere.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mierenneuker posted:

Yeah my feeling on how the online stuff works is that it pings the servers every so often (probably when you load a save, rest at a safehouse, and connect a new area to the network) and basically just caches everything it gets to populate into your world when the games deems it appropriate, alongside uploading whatever you've done to the server to be distributed to other players. I don't think it's like Dark Souls where it relies on players being active for stuff to show up in the world.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I will soon be delivering to South Knot City after dusting off a few more deliveries that tickle my fancy. I met the film director, the chiral artist and the junk dealer on the way back from the timefall farm so it was an eventful trip, lol!

Personally, I find MULEs way more annoying than BTs. I keep expecting the stealth to work like it did in MGSV, which had a lot of crutches. Thus far, I've found this game to not be so forgiving. I've unlocked the ability to counter their scan, but I'm apparently really bad at using it because I can only get it to work about half the time due to me being slow.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You basically need to send the pulse the second you get pinged. It's pretty easy to time since you always get pinged after crossing their sensor net, but it takes practice.

Once you get Bola Gun level 2 the MULEs become trivially easy to beat.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

1st AD posted:

You basically need to send the pulse the second you get pinged. It's pretty easy to time since you always get pinged after crossing their sensor net, but it takes practice.

Once you get Bola Gun level 2 the MULEs become trivially easy to beat.

Nice, I'll look forward to that! I usually look out for the sensors, but when they send the sensor out while I'm hiding, that's when I'm usually screwed. Thankfully, there's not an infinite number of them if you get spotted!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I'm pretty much just loving around in the endgame completing all the central region roads and my number 1 way to clear MULE camps now is to just take a Bridges truck and boost right into MULE's. It instantly KO's them but doesn't kill them, so I pretty much just do that to the ones patrolling the edge of the encampment, and as reinforcements come I just run them over one by one.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

1st AD posted:

I'm pretty much just loving around in the endgame completing all the central region roads and my number 1 way to clear MULE camps now is to just take a Bridges truck and boost right into MULE's. It instantly KO's them but doesn't kill them, so I pretty much just do that to the ones patrolling the edge of the encampment, and as reinforcements come I just run them over one by one.

Running MULEs over can kill them, but it's not likely - it happened to me once out of probably a hundred times, and I'm not sure if it was because of getting hit by the truck that killed them or if they hit something else when they went flying and that did it. Playing a higher difficulty might change the odds of killing them, but who knows.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You can also physically jump over the MULE scan to avoid it but that might be even tougher to time than the counter-scan.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

gtrmp posted:

Running MULEs over can kill them, but it's not likely - it happened to me once out of probably a hundred times, and I'm not sure if it was because of getting hit by the truck that killed them or if they hit something else when they went flying and that did it. Playing a higher difficulty might change the odds of killing them, but who knows.

It happened to me with a guy that I had hit with the truck once before, after he got woken up by a buddy. So I think it does a bunch of health damage that can kill them if they're already injured.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you do the Cyberpunk crossover missions eventually you get the ability to just shut down the mule pylons and walk past without triggering a scan which makes them pretty easy to deal with.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If you do the Cyberpunk crossover missions eventually you get the ability to just shut down the mule pylons and walk past without triggering a scan which makes them pretty easy to deal with.

Wait what are these

Are these in the directors cut?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
They were in the original game and the DC for the Steam version, at least.

I could see that not being the case for the playstation one, though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What item does that? I briefly tried the silver hand but gravity hand wins every time.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
I wanted to find a chill game I could listen to an audiobook while playing so I googled basically exactly that phrase and this game showed up as like the #3 suggestion. I'm still in the beginning of the game and I both can and cannot see that being a thing.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Khanstant posted:

What item does that? I briefly tried the silver hand but gravity hand wins every time.

It's an upgrade for your oderak, if you get close enough to a sensor pole on the perimeter of a camp, you can focus on it and get an option to hack it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Large Testicles posted:

I wanted to find a chill game I could listen to an audiobook while playing so I googled basically exactly that phrase and this game showed up as like the #3 suggestion. I'm still in the beginning of the game and I both can and cannot see that being a thing.
This is probably a bad game for audiobooks while you're exploring unknown territory for the first time.

This is a great game for audiobooks when you're grinding out deliveries back and forth between locations you've build established paths to.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I thought I was at the ending, but I wasn't, and then some confusing stuff happened and now there's more!

But between zip lines and grenade launchers I have been spoiled.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm just finishing off the first delivery to South Knot City. I saw the twist coming and was able to drop the actual delivery off at a player-made safehouse just south of the Engineer's place while dealing with the bomb. I was fully expecting a boss at the crater lake, but I was not expecting Kojima taking the opportunity to try and make us ashamed of our words and deeds again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I unlocked ziplines and I think I more or less get them after some initial confusion. Looking forward to using more of those! On the other hand, I get the impression that I need to invest a lot more into building roads before tackling deliveries that are clearly designed for vehicles. The first time I drove a vehicle was when (Episode 3) I was trying to dispose of the nuclear bomb and it didn't take long for me to go crashing into a narrow chasm without any guidance, lol.