Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Unlucky7 posted:

I hate everything about this :smith:

It is actually reasonably hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I legit thought his being full of poo poo was more well known, maybe it really was just "if you didn't talk to him it was less apparent"? I remember someone else discussing it off-site at one point and I just figured the story had got out since (because?) he left.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
From what's come out, the worst of it was in his discord and only some was on his Twitter, rarely in his threads. Not a surprise that a lot of this is news to most of us.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

sebmojo posted:

It is actually reasonably hilarious

It can be both!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
What the gently caress.

These forums are the gift that keeps on giving.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Did he even try making money off of this at any point, or was this whole thing all for emotional grift, never fiscal? I don't recall any attempts to solicit from the sob stories.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
has a Patreon and a discord server, which was, when I looked, in deep denial over this.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Man a few hours ago I heard about TDI and was like "Ah poo poo, the LP guy? That sucks rear end." and then just now my bestie links me slowbeef's tweet and holy poo poo.

Artix posted:

From what's come out, the worst of it was in his discord and only some was on his Twitter, rarely in his threads. Not a surprise that a lot of this is news to most of us.

Do we even know if Drakengard and Nier are the games we thought they were? :ohdear:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Thaaaaaaat'd explain it! Thanks.

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal

claw game handjob posted:

Thaaaaaaat'd explain it! Thanks.

The thing is, none of this was on his Patreon. It was always framed as "If you like my LPs or want to read them without needing to register for SA consider giving me some money". He mentioned his daughter dying, but wasn't fishing for sympathy money.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ms Adequate posted:

Do we even know if Drakengard and Nier are the games we thought they were? :ohdear:

I played though Drakengard before I saw TDI's LP and I can confirm that it was as he presented it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Fluffdaddy posted:

I am 100% sure he was pulling a Koalas March with an alt in his LP threads too.

His Shadowhearts LP:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860785

His Alt Account:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3860785&userid=124714

I love goons

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ms Adequate posted:

the lps aged really terribly imo and it's probably worth revisiting the games yourself, but I would've even said that before today's news. just never had a tolerance for people getting performatively angry about games and filling their playthroughs with angry tangents and fake dialogue

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Iamyourking posted:

The thing is, none of this was on his Patreon. It was always framed as "If you like my LPs or want to read them without needing to register for SA consider giving me some money". He mentioned his daughter dying, but wasn't fishing for sympathy money.

Oh, sure, I just meant "was there never an attempt to turn this character into a source of income, okay, looks like there was". Because without it, the whole thing is a decade of PUPPETMASTER poo poo solely for jollies.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

:kstare:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I have so many questions about this entire thing that basically amount to "but why though?" and the only answer I can come up with is "pathological liar".

"Patreon sympathy money" is also on the table I suppose but clearly this poo poo runs waaaaaaaaaaay deeper than that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Color Printer posted:

I have so many questions about this entire thing that basically amount to "but why though?" and the only answer I can come up with is "pathological liar".

"Patreon sympathy money" is also on the table I suppose but clearly this poo poo runs waaaaaaaaaaay deeper than that.

Are you saying you don't have an alt that serves as your LP hype man?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Like, poo poo, at this point I've come back around to admiring Id just for the sheer scope and audacity of his hustle. This was like a full time job to the son of a bitch.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Artix posted:

Are you saying you don't have an alt that serves as your LP hype man?

I fell off and never finished everything I ever did here and you're asking me to put in more work? No thanks, buddy

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Well I sure chimed in at the exact right time.:lol:

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

claw game handjob posted:

Oh, sure, I just meant "was there never an attempt to turn this character into a source of income, okay, looks like there was". Because without it, the whole thing is a decade of PUPPETMASTER poo poo solely for jollies.

i think some people enjoy the thrill of telling stories to internet strangers, and they get so caught up with the positive reception gained from it that they become pathological liars. though tbf i don't want to seem like i'm psychoanalyzing a guy i haven't heard of until an hour ago.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Ok, I'm stupid, how is this proof that that's his alt?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

The proof is that fluffdaddy is an admin and alt checked it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

The alt posted in the same diction as his main account, oh and also Fluffdaddy confirmed they were the same alt later in the thread by checking the admin panel.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I've never been aware of alt checking. Didn't realize that was something admins could do but that makes sense

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

All the poo poo he had dealt to him the past few years and cancer is going to get him. drat man :smith:

ugh...

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Happy Landfill posted:

I've never been aware of alt checking. Didn't realize that was something admins could do but that makes sense

I think it's by checking if they shared the same IP address, but I could be wrong.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Quackles posted:

I think it's by checking if they shared the same IP address, but I could be wrong.

That is exactly it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
this is miserable news :mad:

i just... dont have words at the moment...

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Quackles posted:

ah, gotcha

Well, this has been a bummer of a day

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

Like, poo poo, at this point I've come back around to admiring Id just for the sheer scope and audacity of his hustle. This was like a full time job to the son of a bitch.

the cost to entertainment value for membership to these forums is undeniable

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I gotta admit, 'renowned LPer turns out to be lying about literally every aspect of his private life and also has a hypeman sockpuppet' was not on my bingo card.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Happy Landfill posted:

I feel like we need to dim the lights, or something, in his memory, like how they do on Broadway when someone influential dies

Turn off ur monitor

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Vitamin Me posted:

Turn off ur monitor

I did this and all I see is the dark id :wth:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

BisbyWorl posted:

I gotta admit, 'renowned LPer turns out to be lying about literally every aspect of his private life and also has a hypeman sockpuppet' was not on my bingo card.

Somehow, the only real parts were the LPs!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I've never started an LP because I figured it would be too much effort, and I'd give up at some point. But now you're telling me I have to make up a family and draw crayon screenshots from my imaginary adult son? This hobby is way too intense

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rappaport posted:

I've never started an LP because I figured it would be too much effort, and I'd give up at some point. But now you're telling me I have to make up a family and draw crayon screenshots from my imaginary adult son? This hobby is way too intense

At last we finally have a definitive answer to the age old "What unique thing do YOU bring to the table in your LP?" question. Motherfucker, I will invent an entire fake family complete with consistent in-universe lore and fabricated proof of life evidence and then slowly kill each one of them off in a series of bizarre accidents before faking my own death as well. THAT'S what I bring to the table!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Vitamin Me posted:

Turn off ur monitor

I did that and now all I can see is how dirty my monitor is