Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

someone change all the JOE tags to PATTY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

That is the American normal though.

I was asked what has Biden accomplished, and I came up totally blank. Even looking up pro Biden sites couldn't name a compelling example. It's all stuff that was already worked out independent of the White House for years and coincidentally came out during Biden's presidency, like COVID vaccines.

A few large spending bills were passed, but no one is able to list what those bills accomplished. The money did not translate into real world impacts. At most a bunch of legal rule changes were passed under Biden like specifics in housing discrimination, but there's no evidence of an impact. Shits still expensive and everything in American life is deteriorating.

The only things I can lay squarely in the hands of the White House are all massive policy failures, like all these immoral wars Biden is losing.

Making Juneteenth a holiday was good... as far as actual material impacts: lol

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

haha yes this is excellent

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

Nichael posted:

Making Juneteenth a holiday was good... as far as actual material impacts: lol

Reminder that Republican John Cornyn was Juneteenth’s champion in the Senate and had been pushing it for years unsuccessfully along with the rest of Texas’s delegation. National dems only cared once BLM started.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Despite hand-wringing among Democrats about Joe Biden’s age and his discouraging poll numbers, the President’s campaign for reëlection displays an “ostentatious level of serenity,” Evan Osnos says about the election. “This is a matter of great personal importance to Joe Biden. He feels, almost viscerally, this contempt for Trump and for what Trump did to the country,” Osnos tells David Remnick, after a rare private interview at the White House. “And let’s remember, he didn’t just try to steal this election; from Biden’s perspective, he tried to steal it from him.”

this time it's personal

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
trump... the hopey-changey candidate???

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ex post facho posted:

I'm not reading this, someone with greater constitution than I can summarize

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1764110969041469886

The other guy is worse, Biden did an infrastructure bill, Biden is trying real hard to stop Gaza genocide but US president is only a smol bean (and just imagine what the other guy will do)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Juneteenth was cool as a grassroots holiday.

The Democrats threaten to kill it with cringe.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
they rush the announcement of juneteenth as a holiday with such little notice that the usps didn't even have time to shut down for it

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my employer still doesn't give us the day off.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Thinking about all the people making fun of trump when he said all the polls were wrong and that he was actually very popular...

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

my employer still doesn't give us the day off.

Who does? I work at a gov site funded entirely by doe and we don't get it off lol.

My favorite thing about juneteenth existing is asking during annual DEI training if we're going to start recognizing it as a holiday.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PoundSand posted:

Who does? I work at a gov site funded entirely by doe and we don't get it off lol.

My favorite thing about juneteenth existing is asking during annual DEI training if we're going to start recognizing it as a holiday.

Just work for the state government, easy as.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Precambrian Video Games posted:

I wonder what % of gov spending goes to contractors rather than state/federal employees. My wife teaches at a public university and I work at DOE site, neither of us are technically gov employees but our funding is by and large from the gov it’s a weird dichotomy. We both of course get annual training on diversity and its importance but neither of our employers give mlk day or Juneteenth off. Mlk day is at least a class holiday for her but there’s always meetings scheduled on class holidays to remind teachers that it’s not a holiday for them.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Lol that liberal Commiefornia won’t give state workers the day off but Tennessee will.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
declaring a holiday (on which you close down a bunch of public buildings) seems like a great way to both do nothing about the social issue the holiday relates to AND generate public resentment for the side in favor of the holiday, while pretending to support it

red states as well as shitlib blue states jumping on board makes sense in that context to me

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What does “can choose to take Juneteenth off in lieu of a personal holiday” mean? How does it differ from before the State of California recognized the holiday?

Is it that they can’t turn down a request to have June thirteenth off citing scheduling conflicts or what?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

the democrat party gets slagged for being oldheads but they've got some real firestarters coming up for the party's future!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

so much succ at such a young age I couldn't even capture his entire bio

quote:

have had conversations with some of the biggest names, including Neil deGrasse Tyson, former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, former FBI Director James Comey, Paul Krugman, Mark Cuban, Kathy Griffin, Mary Trump, and more.

Victor’s on-air commentary and interviews have been featured across various networks and publications including MSNBC, CNN, NBC, PBS Newshour, ABC, the Daily Herald, and the Chicago Tribune. His written work and op-eds have been published by outlets like USA Today, The Hill, Daily Herald, and International Business Times. Victor was fortunate enough to also have been the recipient of the AP National Scholar, CADCA’s Advocate of the Year, and the winner of the 2020 Illinois Youth and Government Moot Court Competition for best oral argument and written brief.

I truly thought this guy was some 40 yr old when I saw his tweets, lol.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

Javid posted:

declaring a holiday (on which you close down a bunch of public buildings) seems like a great way to both do nothing about the social issue the holiday relates to AND generate public resentment for the side in favor of the holiday, while pretending to support it

red states as well as shitlib blue states jumping on board makes sense in that context to me

It’s called one side actually considers a holiday a holiday and the other is a capitalist hellhole where the workers can have an acknowledgement as a treat.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

ok, 40s is a stretch but all these dorky lyin' peons wear suits in their avs

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Willa Rogers posted:

so much succ at such a young age I couldn't even capture his entire bio

Nightmare blunt rotation

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ProperGanderPusher posted:

The only thing I can think of that will save the Dems is abortion. Maybe, juuust maybe, a national ban won’t happen under Biden’s watch during his second term. That’s the most anyone hopes for.

Roe getting axed spooked moderates longer than I thought. We’ll see if they’re still feeling that way in eight months. I can also tell Trump is trying to pump the brakes a bit with the anti-abortion faction, and it seems they’re kinda falling in line except for this latest IVF thing.

it's always possible that trump will make enough hilarious public fuckups to skew the election. biden can't do a drat thing to win, what with his virulent hatred of the concept of improving lives. he would sooner die (and likely will) than help a single poor person in any way. but trump can sure as hell do a lot to lose, because he's a dumb messy bitch that lives for drama.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Platystemon posted:

What does “can choose to take Juneteenth off in lieu of a personal holiday” mean? How does it differ from before the State of California recognized the holiday?

Is it that they can’t turn down a request to have June thirteenth off citing scheduling conflicts or what?

state employees get one "personal holiday" a year that you can use whenever, in addition to the sick and vacation time that accrues

my bargaining unit also gets two personal development days a year that are the same thing. there's code for over a dozen different types of paid time off in the system like this

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

state employees get one "personal holiday" a year that you can use whenever, in addition to the sick and vacation time that accrues

my bargaining unit also gets two personal development days a year that are the same thing. there's code for over a dozen different types of paid time off in the system like this

Yeah, it sounds like nothings actually changed then. You can take Juneteenth off or any other day you want with your extra day of PTO, just like before.

CA needs to be light gray on that stupid map.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1764630946559443265

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Stanford added an extra 8 hours of personal days and also had a bunch of extra days off you could use if you of a family member had covid (both with their own code because they got money back from some grants) and took away the 8 hours when the covid days got pulled. Each year we have 24 hours of personal days and 8 hours PTO which is the same thing with a different code but are legally distinct from the other for some state law reason. There are extra paid days off when campus closes for two weeks during Christmas but not enough to use for the whole two weeks.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

this isnt the succzone <:mad:>

Ruzihm has issued a correction as of 20:09 on Mar 4, 2024

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
no. it's better because it's only 400ish pages instead of 10,000

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1764669463675208144

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
👍

https://twitter.com/UAPipeTrades/status/1761538486568468881

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Biden exists in a superposition where he is both weaning America off fossil fuels and permitting the extraction of vast, unprecedented volumes of oil and gas.

He’s simultaneously more compassionate to undocumented immigrants and tougher at sending them packing with actions that the courts have already struck down.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
kind of surprised one of the justices didn't take some kind of total succ hands-off position (or the typical "Clarence Thomas finds Constitutional grounds for it" wildcard) for an 8-1

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/_maxgranger/status/1764691166946316677

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

SgtMongoose posted:

Reminder that Republican John Cornyn was Juneteenth’s champion in the Senate and had been pushing it for years unsuccessfully along with the rest of Texas’s delegation. National dems only cared once BLM started.

Cornyn pushed for Juneteenth since 2011.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
:byodood:

https://twitter.com/VP/status/1764774031343915115

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Leviathan Song posted:

There is the very real phenomenon of polls being useless now. This thread was convinced a republican wave was coming in the midterms that never happened. I remember getting shouted down when I said there was aproximately zero chance that Patty Murray would lose despite her poll numbers showing it neck and neck:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/senate/2022/washington/

57 to 42. Polls couldn't predict a 15 point spread.

That doesn't necessarily mean Biden is going to win or we can unskew the polls somehow. It means they're useless.

polls are useless, all we can use is common sense now

and that would be how the moderates are scared off from him because everything is expensive and how senile he is. and progressives are scared off by him because he’s genocide joe

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Biden exists in a superposition where he is both weaning America off fossil fuels and permitting the extraction of vast, unprecedented volumes of oil and gas.

He’s simultaneously more compassionate to undocumented immigrants and tougher at sending them packing with actions that the courts have already struck down.

By being all things he has managed to be the worst version of himself to most of the country lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

TeenageArchipelago posted:

By being all things he has managed to be the worst version of himself to most of the country lmao

he's banking on the voters who hate politicians for not doing things to save him from the voters who hate politicians for doing evil things