Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I guess Hitler did do that abortive lederhosen photo shoot...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can do that if you want but mostly you're just offloading the work of deboning them to the eating phase. It's not hard but it does interrupt the eating IMO.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Maugrim posted:

Thank you - the thighs have both skin and bone, I was hoping I could just chuck them in the slow cooker at the appropriate point and let the cooking do the work of getting the meat off and take the bones out at the end.

Recipes do seem consistent about browning the chicken before putting it in the pot though so that's a start

Yeah that’s fine. Brown them whole and bung em in. Use more stock. You know what’s great too? Bung in some pearl barley if you have it

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

smellmycheese posted:

Yeah that’s fine. Brown them whole and bung em in. Use more stock. You know what’s great too? Bung in some pearl barley if you have it

I do have it! That's a great thought.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

I guess Hitler did do that abortive lederhosen photo shoot...

His bodyguards/the SS in general were Hugo Boss boys, but Adolf himself apparently wasn't afraid of looking silly. Though who'd laugh at him to his face by this point?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah, yes, the leather bald cap phase of the meltdown.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This poll gives them an estimated 25 seats after an election lol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

smellmycheese posted:

This what happens when you let the mob rule :cry:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

smellmycheese posted:

I get a small amount of comfort thinking that this means their culture war poo poo doesn't work/cut through to the mass public.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Starbucks posted:

Tramontina 17cm Cleaver is a good option but why the gently caress are you chopping fruit with a cleaver? Get a decent chefs knife if you don’t have one.

Grab something by Mercer Culinary as pretty solid price and a sharpening steel or a whetstone. If your budget is pretty high grab a Wustof, generally grab a couple of 15cm chef knifes, a pairing knife, bread knife, Cheese Knife, Carving Knife, Turning knife in that kind of order or priority. Most sets can be poo poo.

Thanks!

I do have a couple of decent knives already, just nothing heavy duty. Still got half of this beautiful Crown Prince squash to chop.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Rappaport posted:

His bodyguards/the SS in general were Hugo Boss boys, but Adolf himself apparently wasn't afraid of looking silly. Though who'd laugh at him to his face by this point?

A leather flying cap to enhance his boldness!!!

gently caress Hitler.

edit:

killerwhat posted:

I do have a couple of decent knives already, just nothing heavy duty. Still got half of this beautiful Crown Prince squash to chop.

I can see why a cleaver could be a good choice, bought one years ago (7in Ken Hom branded off Amazon on discount) and they are bloody great for all my veg cutting/chopping... i rarely cut meat.

As with all sharp thingies; pay attention to what you're doing. :ese:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 4, 2024

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Just Another Lurker posted:

gently caress Hitler.

:monocle:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
the lower the tories get in the polls, the more clear the case is for voting snp. because it would be really funny to have them have more seats than the tories.

sadly this logic means that the rest of the UK also has reason to vote for the lib dems, a terrifying thought

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Just Another Lurker posted:

gently caress Hitler.
John Cockwood disapproves of this extremism.

Bad news for Sir Keir and Michael Gove:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
deepfakes are powerless against entrenched thought, an unwavering dedication to never accepting evidence in the face of being proven wrong.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

I get a small amount of comfort thinking that this means their culture war poo poo doesn't work/cut through to the mass public.

I can't afford food or heating, the doctors are too busy to deal with my chronic pains, the roads to work are littered with potholes and my job is constantly under threat

MP: but at least you know a woman doesn't have a penis 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Guavanaut posted:

John Cockwood disapproves of this extremism.

Bad news for Sir Keir and Michael Gove:

https://x.com/Stevo_Stonko/status/1764244211388256561?s=20

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Angepain posted:

the lower the tories get in the polls, the more clear the case is for voting snp. because it would be really funny to have them have more seats than the tories.

sadly this logic means that the rest of the UK also has reason to vote for the lib dems, a terrifying thought

The Piss Diamond revival has begun!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lib Dem official opposition would be very funny, and a better foil for Labour authoritarianism than the Tories, although with those kind of numbers it doesn't much matter.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

Lol that Stats For Lefties guy does it agai-...

Oh... I see

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

I know this type of question comes up a lot. I haven't seen any chat recently about it. I changed jobs recently, and for the first time, my employer recognises unions at work. Is there a particularly terrible centrist melty union to avoid, or left leaning one i should prioritise joining? Web searching the answer doesn't seem to come up with results. Which unions are du jour for the goons here?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Who are those 2 Labour losses? Is one of them the Jam Man?

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

killerwhat posted:

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07KGJ92W7?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Its under £13 i have owned mine for 3 years now, its used pritty much daily and it keeps its edge, i just run it through a ceramic sharperner now and again.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Who are those 2 Labour losses? Is one of them the Jam Man?

Corbyn and Abbott, presumably.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/cazjwheeler/status/1764015678619603141

quote:

Andrew Bridgen was in Sweden speaking at an event hosted by Robert F Kennedy Jr’s antivax group while his young son was at home facing a medical crisis.

The former Conservative MP, who has become a leading voice in the global campaign against vaccinations, ignored frantic calls from his wife, Nevena, as their five-year-old’s health deteriorated, she claims.

Nevena, whose family hail from Serbia, was alone in London with her sick child, going backwards and forwards to the hospital, while she says her husband was on the streets of Sweden “acting as an antivax revolutionary and neglecting his son during a health emergency”.

It was the moment Nevena, 43, finally concluded that her husband had been captured by what she considers a“cult”.

quote:

When Bridgen returned home after more than a week’s absence, Nevena confronted him about his behaviour. His response shocked her. She claims he told her that the whole of “humanity was at stake” and if he succeeded he would be saving the world — something he hoped his son would one day be proud of. Nevena said: “I felt like I was in that Matrix film and that he was telling me he was the chosen one. Except this is not a blockbuster movie, this is my life.”

Not long afterwards, she claims Bridgen convinced her to give up the tenancy on their Westminster taxpayer-funded flat to look for a new home. The couple signed the lease on a new flat not long before Nevena flew back to Belgrade for her aunt’s funeral. She claims that on the day of the funeral, Bridgen texted Nevena to say he had cancelled the lease on the new flat — effectively leaving her and her son homeless. He also blocked her number, leaving her no way to contact him.

https://archive.is/RXyRs

What a piece of poo poo. Of course the piece of poo poo responded:

https://twitter.com/ABridgen/status/1764237954862469514

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Scottish voting intentions for next UK general election (Survation / Quantum Communications, 14th-20th February 2024) posted:

SNP 38% (+2)
Labour 33% (-1)
Conservatives 15% (-1)
Liberal Democrats 8% (-)

Seats projection (with changes from 2019 general election): SNP 37 (-11), Labour 14 (+13), Liberal Democrats 4 (-), Conservatives 2 (-4)

Looking good Scotlab

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Saviour posted:

I know this type of question comes up a lot. I haven't seen any chat recently about it. I changed jobs recently, and for the first time, my employer recognises unions at work. Is there a particularly terrible centrist melty union to avoid, or left leaning one i should prioritise joining? Web searching the answer doesn't seem to come up with results. Which unions are du jour for the goons here?

So, if your workplace has a recognised union then you'll probably get the best help joining them. Even if it's a melty union, it's the most straight forward. After that, look at what unions cover your profession or workplace. This page from the TUC is a good starting spot.

On top of those, if you want a more radical union then look at https://iww.org.uk/ as a sort of top-up to the more mainstream union. There's also the Independent Workers' Union, which was started by migrant cleaners over a decade ago & do a lot against outsourcing and organising unorganised work places, especially for gig economy workers. You may have heard about the recent Deliveroo delivery people strike, that was them.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OFCOM actually came out if stasis and issued a thing. I think it's their 6th(?) official investigation which has ruled against GBeebies, but of course the channel will face no consequences as usual...

https://twitter.com/Ofcom/status/1764600494142414869

e: Correction, it's their 7th. Bosses have been summoned to the headmaster's office for a stern telling off
https://twitter.com/GBNewsSpin/status/1764617187434565646

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 4, 2024

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

:ughh:

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

smellmycheese posted:

The Piss Diamond revival has begun!

Do these sorts of survey actually identify what seats will change hands, or is it all done on cumulative votes / trends / Voodoo?

I would love to know where the second Green constituency is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Andrew Bridgen looking at his family potato farm:

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

So, if your workplace has a recognised union then you'll probably get the best help joining them. Even if it's a melty union, it's the most straight forward. After that, look at what unions cover your profession or workplace. This page from the TUC is a good starting spot.

On top of those, if you want a more radical union then look at https://iww.org.uk/ as a sort of top-up to the more mainstream union. There's also the Independent Workers' Union, which was started by migrant cleaners over a decade ago & do a lot against outsourcing and organising unorganised work places, especially for gig economy workers. You may have heard about the recent Deliveroo delivery people strike, that was them.

Thanks for the adivce, my workplace recognises the three big ones Unison, GMB and Unite. I've never dealt with joining one before i just know it's a benefit to a workforce to join one. Just don't want to join one whonare happy with the current state of the labour party.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Leftist stats delivers.

Tories dangerously close to losing out to Plaid and Greens lol

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1764593034195354000?t=ci2JPfxuUaImOOQnZs6JCQ&s=19

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm feeling the the culture war nonsense is less about getting through to the public and more a desperate attempt to get the press firmly back behind them. But the UK press react to loser stink like sharks scenting a drop of blood in water and it's not working.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Saviour posted:

Thanks for the adivce, my workplace recognises the three big ones Unison, GMB and Unite. I've never dealt with joining one before i just know it's a benefit to a workforce to join one. Just don't want to join one whonare happy with the current state of the labour party.

Of those Unite are I'd say the most combative with the current Labour leadership.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

The Saviour posted:

I'm a UNISON member as it's the only one my workplace recognises and they haven't impressed me. My entire team was dissolved last year, with 30 people being told to find a new job or get made redundant. UNISON were no use whatsoever. They gave the organization a big thumbs up, and shrugged whenever we asked for help. That's just one person's experience though. Other branches may be a lot more useful.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Leftist stats delivers.

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1764593034195354000?t=ci2JPfxuUaImOOQnZs6JCQ&s=19

Na h-Eileanan an Iar ain't going Labour.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Sadsack posted:

I'm a UNISON member as it's the only one my workplace recognises and they haven't impressed me. My entire team was dissolved last year, with 30 people being told to find a new job or get made redundant. UNISON were no use whatsoever. They gave the organization a big thumbs up, and shrugged whenever we asked for help. That's just one person's experience though. Other branches may be a lot more useful.

:effort: does seem to be UNISON's default mode of late

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Failed Imagineer posted:

Leftist stats delivers.

So, lets say have a happy day and the Tories are completely destroyed, leaving the lib Dems as a opposition party. (Lets ignore these polls factor shy tory don't knows and the inevitable shift back towards them).

What happens in the next election - the Lib dems gain seats? Labour splits off an actual left party of 100 or so MP's that become the official (managed opposition)?, Galloway becomes PM?

I know none of this will come about, but I would love to see what the hell happens if one of the two big parties shatters, it would be an interesting few years as the dust settles.
(This also ignores what living in the Starmerverse would be like.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I was in Unison when I got made redundant from the NHS back around the late 90s and they weren't particularly great. Though it was great to see my boss shrivel when I said I was bringing my union rep to the meeting LOL.

I'm in Unite now - they're not perfect but I think on the whole they're better than the other two, not that I've had need of their services so far.

Establishment meltdown chat:

It's been wonderful to see them all meltdown over Galloway. But the question I ask myself, why is it Galloway that's caused them to get in a complete lather when other mavericks haven't? But them I'm having trouble thinking of a maverick who actually got elected - even Fromage didn't manage that.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 4, 2024