Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I recently had a housemate who used to lug a busted Frogger arcade cabinet from house to house whenever he moved and he always talked about restoring it some day but it always just ended up sitting in the corner of his room gathering dust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk1RkMGvBIk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
All the vector display arcade cabinets are already starting to become akin to antiques.

CRTs are dead technology, and a vector display inherently can't be reproduced with a pixel-based display. At least with raster CRTs you can emulate them reasonably well with filters, but the vector emulation isn't close.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Scratch Monkey posted:

Vintage is 20 years ago. You know, the 70s!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Someone in 2080 will absolutely view a game from 1980 as an antique. Vintage gaming equipment is already super collectable, like these old handheld games:

I remember when the kid who lived next door got one of those, I was so jealous. :v: It was dual screen!!
I still have mine...

Cable Guy posted:

Pfft... "Gameboy".... Pfft... "Advance"

Got it in Sept '82. Still works. Just didn't have batteries.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
https://i.imgur.com/j9PJAyN.mp4
So confused.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Takes No Damage posted:

Sure, when the product is supposed to ferment in the can.

An old favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osIJJS6PHUA&t=15s

A place I worked at once had a lot of workers from various countries in Europe and they decided to have a day where people would bring in foods from their countries. This included surstromming. The guy who brought it took it out into a big empty space in the car park to open it safely. I think ideally you’re supposed to open it submerged in a bucket of water, at least ten metres from anything you don’t want to have to burn.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

This is literally how I think of the past :(

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Freudian slippers posted:

This is literally how I think of the past :(

That's very common in us who were born in the late 1000s

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Nordick posted:

That's very common in us who were born in the late 1000s

I just took psychic damage from reading it described that way

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Born in the late 20th century

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

before the turn of the century

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

"previous millennium lead-baby" was right there.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Phthisis posted:

All the vector display arcade cabinets are already starting to become akin to antiques.

CRTs are dead technology, and a vector display inherently can't be reproduced with a pixel-based display. At least with raster CRTs you can emulate them reasonably well with filters, but the vector emulation isn't close.

The boss where I work had an Asteroids cabinet that kept frying and getting Very Expensive to fix, so he asked me to do something about it.

I ended up taking out the fried guts of the machine, and refurbishing all the buttons, and then hooking them up to a Rasberry Pi running an emulator software with an input script tied to the buttons. Some of those emulators have a lot of graphic options you can fudge about with to make a flatpanel display look like an old CRT.

So much so that when an old guy came in, saw it, and wanted to buy it, he wouldn't believe me when I told him it was fake. I had to pull it out and open the back and show him.

He still wanted to buy it as it was.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://packaged-media.redd.it/ks7p...ce6cb9fe597#t=0

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Thank god he broke his fall with his face.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

Thank god he broke his fall with his face.

And vice versa

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
https://i.imgur.com/mKLdGPY.mp4

An instant classic

Ogma
Jun 6, 2003

Let the festivities commence!

New vasectomy clinic has some unique cost saving methods.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

It looks like he's chosen enough distance, and then, well,

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

davidspackage posted:

It looks like he's chosen enough distance, and then, well,

Look at his hand placement, he's worried about it and at the last minute decides nah I trust her. Like the dumb look he gives after moving the hand is amazing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ogma posted:

New vasectomy clinic has some unique cost saving methods.

As if gender reveal parties weren't groan inducing enough, they evolved into gender removals.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

pixaal posted:

Look at his hand placement, he's worried about it and at the last minute decides nah I trust her. Like the dumb look he gives after moving the hand is amazing.

It's as if Leeloo Dallas Multipass was waiting for the right moment to destroy his balls

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Piñata Schad is the best kind of schad.

A close second is Parkour Schad, a personal favourite because there's no skateboard or bicycle involved that might explain that what you were trying to do was a sick stunt. You just jumped off a building.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

As if gender reveal parties weren't groan inducing enough, they evolved into groin reducing.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!

pixaal posted:

The moment she took a small step or two forward I knew the schad was switching from something like her missing the target and busting a hole in the fence to the guy getting his nards mashed.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is this the forum for nard reduction?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Mister Speaker posted:

Piñata Schad is the best kind of schad.

A close second is Parkour Schad, a personal favourite because there's no skateboard or bicycle involved that might explain that what you were trying to do was a sick stunt. You just jumped off a building.

gently caress, i thought the wall was gonna come down on him, glad he just threw himself out instead

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Why do these dudes keep standing in the path of a stick being swung at a pinata? You'd think they know better.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

jeebus bob posted:

I just took psychic damage from reading it described that way

life just keeps getting harder for those of us born in the 1900s.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
yes the years start coming and they don't stop coming

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Unperson_47 posted:

Why do these dudes keep standing in the path of a stick being swung at a pinata? You'd think they know better.

They have not yet been swung at by the cudgel of reality, and learned that they too, are but mush, in the eyes of the universe.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Unperson_47 posted:

He was kinda in the safe, but she moved a bit right before swinging her nard stick.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010
Everyone loves sovereign citizens getting destroyed for trying to use fake laws in court documents right? What if the sovereign citizen is a lawyer and fake lawyers so hard they have to stop being a lawyer?

Video version (if you want to listen to someone explain it) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9y3slJaEA8

Court Document:
https://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bcsc/doc/2024/2024bcsc91/2024bcsc91.html

News Article with quotes from the person in question:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-lawyer-pseudolegal-lawsuit-licence-resigned-1.7098461

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

[Gonzo voice] Some people get all the luck

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Unperson_47 posted:

Why do these dudes keep standing in the path of a stick being swung at a pinata?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That piñata video is extra trippy because the poor guy looks a LOT like Ben (the soldier) from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, right down to how he's dressed and his expression and mannerism. Just an absolute golden retriever of a man getting hurt by someone inconsiderate, just like Ben.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

CainFortea posted:

The boss where I work had an Asteroids cabinet that kept frying and getting Very Expensive to fix, so he asked me to do something about it.

I ended up taking out the fried guts of the machine, and refurbishing all the buttons, and then hooking them up to a Rasberry Pi running an emulator software with an input script tied to the buttons. Some of those emulators have a lot of graphic options you can fudge about with to make a flatpanel display look like an old CRT.

So much so that when an old guy came in, saw it, and wanted to buy it, he wouldn't believe me when I told him it was fake. I had to pull it out and open the back and show him.

He still wanted to buy it as it was.

I don't believe that anyone who has played an original Asteroids cabinet wouldn't immediately identify a non-CRT cabinet as being fake. It's a notoriously visually-striking game, because in some sense it "overdrives" the shots, causing them to be exceptionally bright points of light. Anecdotally, it feels brighter than even my HDR TV. None of the vector display emulators support HDR output, and beyond that, none of the MAME post-processing filters handle phosphor-overdrive aspect of Asteroids at all. The dynamic range is always super off.

I'd highly recommend going out to play one of the remaining Asteroids machines still out there, because they're very cool to see in person. It does not come across well in video at all. Though, maybe now that phones record/play in HDR it'll be possible to get a decent video of it.

I personally find that all the vector display filters are pretty noticeably fake if you're used to using a real one, but at the same time if you're wrapped up in actually playing the game it's pretty easy to forget. Asteroids is a very big exception, though, where it just never feels right when emulated.

Also, I'm much less of a fan of Asteroids Deluxe, but that's one of the games that rely on the display reflecting off a clear glass panel to make it seem like the game is floating on top of a background. I suspect even with an original cabinet it might be difficult to get a non-CRT to work right.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Dunno if it was an original cabinet or not, but the Asteroids I played had the brightest shots I've ever seen in any game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Phthisis posted:

I'd highly recommend going out to play one of the remaining Asteroids machines still out there, because they're very cool to see in person.

I got the chance to play one at Ground Kontrol in Portland, OR and it’s just gorgeous. It feels way more modern than it is.