Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lmao

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

It always just makes me think of the (iirc) GiP post about how comically easy it is to fake military valor if all you want is recognition/perks as a veteran: just say you were deployed in the Army, you drove a truck or hauled water or something boring, and you don't really want to talk about it. Never questioned, always believed, enjoy your free veteran beers. But if course, if you want to steal valor, it's because you actually want the valor part, so everyone's a Special Forces SEAL with ten Good Boy Medals for personally disemboweling Saddam Hussein.

Now I'm thinking about the Special Forces stolen-valor guy from GiP years ago, where after the big reveal, everyone was surprised because he'd made totally logical complaints about the military pay website despite never serving? Like, the dude had done research on the pay portal so he could bitch about it? That's committing to the bit.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Martman posted:

Those were bad guys he was supposedly killing. that means they're still out there...

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Snake... The future has changed! You have created a time paradox!

lmao

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 4, 2024

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

It always just makes me think of the (iirc) GiP post about how comically easy it is to fake military valor if all you want is recognition/perks as a veteran: just say you were deployed in the Army, you drove a truck or hauled water or something boring, and you don't really want to talk about it. Never questioned, always believed, enjoy your free veteran beers. But if course, if you want to steal valor, it's because you actually want the valor part, so everyone's a Special Forces SEAL with ten Good Boy Medals for personally disemboweling Saddam Hussein.

Now I'm thinking about the Special Forces stolen-valor guy from GiP years ago, where after the big reveal, everyone was surprised because he'd made totally logical complaints about the military pay website despite never serving? Like, the dude had done research on the pay portal so he could bitch about it? That's committing to the bit.

wait wasn't that grover?

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

incredibly wild that people took, at face value, a guy whose life was basically this

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I thought that was RentCavalier or whatever

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

NoiseAnnoys posted:

wait wasn't that grover?

Nah, Grover admitted that he was some kind of civilian contractor, but he insisted he was the "equivalent" of some officer rank because of his federal pay grade, IIRC?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Endorph posted:

deceased crab's mic quality is still exactly the same which is ftw

i thought there was no possible way this was true so i went and checked and its true. hell yea

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

NoiseAnnoys posted:

like why on earth would one think anyone on the pig balls forum was an honest-to-goodness paid-in-diamonds mercenary?

I don't overthink this stuff, like yall can say you do anything for a living and I'd just go "drat that's crazy" and keep scrollin. I'd be more embarrassed if I'd made 100 posts going "wowwww, glad to have you back to the FFX LP from another tour, how many russkie brains you blow out this time, king?"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I don't trust any mf using the term bequeathed

I be queefing my accounts to my family.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

NoiseAnnoys posted:

wait wasn't that grover?

nah, it was KyleIDF, who was also virulently transphobic (even by the standards of late 2000s/early 2010s SA) while straight up being a chaser

grover was just a moderator and absolute fuckup in several respects

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Some guy i knew on another forum had apparently been faking his military experience of "i got injured by a mortar in a training accident and HDed"

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

I don't overthink this stuff, like yall can say you do anything for a living and I'd just go "drat that's crazy" and keep scrollin. I'd be more embarrassed if I'd made 100 posts going "wowwww, glad to have you back to the FFX LP from another tour, how many russkie brains you blow out this time, king?"

i don't think being skeptical about a lp guy's bloodthirsty days as a pmc is "overthinking" things because the idea falls apart at the lightest of scrutiny.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

Nah, Grover admitted that he was some kind of civilian contractor, but he insisted he was the "equivalent" of some officer rank because of his federal pay grade, IIRC?
Yeah, the Special Forces LARPer guy was long after Grover had come and gone.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Antivehicular posted:

oh lol, that was it.

Kazinsal posted:

nah, it was KyleIDF, who was also virulently transphobic (even by the standards of late 2000s/early 2010s SA) while straight up being a chaser

grover was just a moderator and absolute fuckup in several respects

also gross as hell, please tell me they are no longer here.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
lol. woke up to 1000 new posts. Good poo poo

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

NoiseAnnoys posted:

also gross as hell, please tell me they are no longer here.

got helldumped and banned over a decade ago

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

got helldumped and banned over a decade ago

the system works.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

NoiseAnnoys posted:

i don't think being skeptical about a lp guy's bloodthirsty days as a pmc is "overthinking" things because the idea falls apart at the lightest of scrutiny.

I mean I don't think civvie11 is trapped in a dungeon being forced to make youtube videos at gunpoint either

There's a point of glossing over poo poo internet personas say because, you know, internet persona and writing for entertainment a la 50 foot ant

"I've got a kid who drew these" is one thing but I don't remember anything close to those discord screenshots showing up in the LP writing, and if they did I don't know how many people would have ever taken them at face value or just said "yeah uhuh" and ignored them as unfunny non sequiturs

and as for falling apart at the lighest scrutiny, yeah, that's what we've been talking about here-- as soon as those stories escaped the discord containment of people who either bought into them or just didn't want to bring them up out of professional embarassment, they're all ridiculous on the face of them

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I mean I don't think civvie11 is trapped in a dungeon being forced to make youtube videos at gunpoint either

There's a point of glossing over poo poo internet personas say because, you know, internet persona and writing for entertainment a la 50 foot ant

"I've got a kid who drew these" is one thing but I don't remember anything close to those discord screenshots showing up in the LP writing, and if they did I don't know how many people would have ever taken them at face value or just said "yeah uhuh" and ignored them as unfunny non sequiturs

and as for falling apart at the lighest scrutiny, yeah, that's what we've been talking about here-- as soon as those stories escaped the discord containment of people who either bought into them or just didn't want to bring them up out of professional embarassment, they're all ridiculous on the face of them

faking a whole family including the tragic death of your fictional daughter and getting paid for it isn't even remotely on the same scale as civvie11's gimmick of being electrocuted by robots in a fictional 120 story underground prison, and even contemplating conflating the two is pretty intensely hosed up

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
There's nothing more intensely hosed up than contemplation

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kazinsal posted:

faking a whole family including the tragic death of your fictional daughter and getting paid for it isn't even remotely on the same scale as civvie11's gimmick of being electrocuted by robots in a fictional 120 story underground prison, and even contemplating conflating the two is pretty intensely hosed up

yes, which is why I couched it in "in the LPs I read" which all predate the hosed up "going on twitter and claiming you/your family are dead/dying" and I have no idea what he was claiming in private prior to that-- apparently quite a lot, if there's multiple people saying "yeah he's full of poo poo and all of us stopped talking to him years prior to all that"

I'm just noting why this probably got glossed over in the public entertainment writing LP stuff

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Kazinsal posted:

What??? The electric torture and whippings aren't real?! Unsubscribing and cancelling Civvie right now.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-e46xdcUo

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Uploading my LPs from the face/off magnet prison

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

disposablewords posted:

What the actual gently caress. Online friends pointing out the Nier LP as it finished is what made me aware of these stupid forums. I lurked for years before finally getting an account but TDI is a meaningful link in where most of my online life is right now thanks to following LP goons into other poo poo and getting involved in other communities as a result. Seriously this is loving baffling.

His LPs also got me to finally pay :10bux: near the end of Shadow Hearts so I didn't have to deal with the paywall anymore. I've made friends here! I started doing LPs of my own! All of it started because I liked the funny LP man that turned out to lie as naturally as he breathes!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Woke up remembered Lets Play James Bond and lolled. Good start to the day

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I had no idea Dick Marcinko (1940-2021) was an SA LP superstar

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

steinrokkan posted:

oh poo poo I didn't hear he died

unless it's just a cover story and he's back doing black ops

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Thank you for your service, TDI. I'm sure you are kicking rear end in Heaven right now.

:patriot:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

BisbyWorl posted:

His LPs also got me to finally pay :10bux: near the end of Shadow Hearts so I didn't have to deal with the paywall anymore. I've made friends here! I started doing LPs of my own! All of it started because I liked the funny LP man that turned out to lie as naturally as he breathes!

This is nice but can we get more "his screenshots helped get me through several miscarriages" style posts please.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If he actually posted all of that stuff in his LP, it would be cringe, but sure, a gimmick, as was the style at the time. But he posted the most unhinged things in his discord. And, hey, if it was just his discord and just things about being a super cool assassin, you could be excused for thinking it was all shitposting among friends. And maybe he is too online-pilled, so posting from his death bed is just something he does, no matter how weird it is. But when you look at his twitter exchanges with his wife about him saving cats and dogs from stock photos all the time, it's a bit much.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

steinrokkan posted:

RIP to the real one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVoyGUcXepc

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I caught up on 400 posts before bed and I'm waking up to 600 more...

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Crescent Wrench posted:

I caught up on 400 posts before bed and I'm waking up to 600 more...

that's not how the song goes

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

i love goons

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Had to quickly check if the dark id did the lp for rogue warrior which would be too on the nose lol (it's not him but habermann)

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I joined his discord years ago and then never looked at it, now you're telling me this whole time I could've been following the exploits of Caleb "Crossbones" McCoolguy? Gdi what a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
I was just getting tired of the willy wonka experience chat so thank you slowbeef for unlocking the new funniest thing I've ever seen