Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

keep punching joe posted:

Na h-Eileanan an Iar ain't going Labour.

I wouldn't be so sure, last election the split was 45/26/22 SNP/Lab/Con, and the MP Angus MacNeil has been in place since 2005, has been expelled from the SNP and intends to stand again, probably as an Independent. Any significant split in the SNP vote as a result, combined with Conservative voters tactically voting for Labour could give them the seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Galloway gets their dander up because he is the loudest oval office in the pub, which is also why basically no-one likes him. Him coincidentally stubbing his toe on a correct opinion from time to time doesn't undo the rest.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I can't even wrap my head around the consequences of an outcome like that. That's the kind of ridiculous result that only happens when you're abusing a game mechanic in Vicky or something. It's also making me want to vote Lab because useless spunk-filled johnnies though they may be, the lure of the bants is strong.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ms Adequate posted:

I can't even wrap my head around the consequences of an outcome like that. That's the kind of ridiculous result that only happens when you're abusing a game mechanic in Vicky or something. It's also making me want to vote Lab because useless spunk-filled johnnies though they may be, the lure of the bants is strong.

People saying that they're willing to support an act of immense harm to the UK because it would be funny is a part of why we're no longer in the EU.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Ms Adequate posted:

After a certain threshold FPTP breaks, see Scotland 2015 for example. Though that was a wave of rage and optimism that brought that about. Starmer Labour are like the anti charisma party sensibly avoiding anything that looks like positive change.

So they'll probably gently caress it.

Also lmao

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jedit posted:

People saying that they're willing to support an act of immense harm to the UK because it would be funny is a part of why we're no longer in the EU.

Sure, but it's not like there's a good alternative on offer here

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fuckin less than 5 percent Liz failing upwards into this kind of position says all you need to know about the sensible new Labour Party.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Union chat - the flowchart is this: Union your job recognises > Union with the most members at your job > if all similar-ish, union with the best local branch.

Local branches can vary wildly by job/location and unfortunately there's no way to know before you join them and have to deal with them. The branches should have meetings every now and then where you can go and gauge what they're like. Don't be afraid to quit and join another one if you're really disappointed by them! As long as you don't have any ongoing issues at work (since unions will not represent you on issues that started before you joined them, otherwise everyone would just join last minute), it should be fine.

Unite are probably the best of the big three (unite, unison, gmb) on a national politics level and anecdotally, my branch are quite good, but as I said it varies pretty drastically.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

After a certain threshold FPTP breaks, see Scotland 2015 for example. Though that was a wave of rage and optimism that brought that about. Starmer Labour are like the anti charisma party sensibly avoiding anything that looks like positive change.

Also lmao

It's called Labour because everyone is forced into labour

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sure, but it's not like there's a good alternative on offer here

Just because the world is burning doesn't mean I have to toast marshmallows.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

2020 amazing year for Britain etc etc

Tesseraction posted:

Fuckin less than 5 percent Liz failing upwards into this kind of position says all you need to know about the sensible new Labour Party.
Even though she's a nearby MP she's so notable that I keep confusing her with the other Liz who thinks you can deregulate people into work.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jedit posted:

Just because the world is burning doesn't mean I have to toast marshmallows.

No one's asking you to?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Watching that Adam Curtis / Martin Michael Sheen drama 'The Way' and gotta say, it's pretty terrible.

I do like The Welsh Catcher though, driving around border towns with a big zoo cage full of Welsh people on the bed of his truck.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 4, 2024

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Watching that Adam Curtis / Martin Sheen drama 'The Way' and gotta say, it's pretty terrible.

I do like The Welsh Catcher though, driving around border towns with a big zoo cage full of Welsh people on the bed of his truck.

is this what President Bartlet ends up doing

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

No one's asking you to?
When life gives you lemons

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lady Grey orange juice.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Watching that Adam Curtis / Martin Sheen drama 'The Way' and gotta say, it's pretty terrible.

Back in the day, the Welsh Catcher would come right into your garden to collect them for you.

(Btw it's noted Welshman Michael Sheen, not noted Irishman Martin Sheen AKA Ramon Estevez)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Got my Sheens mixed up.

Though bizarrely Emilio Estvez directed Martin Sheen in a 2010 movie also titled The Way.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
quote !== edit

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Got my Sheens mixed up.

Though bizarrely Emilio Estvez directed Martin Sheen in a 2010 movie also titled The Way.

That was what was loving me up, because I saw that movie. Kinda boring but it did make me want to walk the Camino

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Public taps that wine comes out of

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I wonder if the uptick in SNP isn't just down to folk realising that Labour are a shower of shits but, also that they're finally realising (in a round about way) that the way Scotland votes has minimal impact on a UK government.

Essentially, the more the news bangs on about the tories nation wide crippling defeat to Labour, the lower their "tories out" platform and vote in Scotland will be.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Right. Google's not giving me anything useful, and you lot know things so I'm asking here.

What's different between the generic Salamol inhalers and the older Salbutamol inhalers?

I ask because most of my adult life I've had a blue ventolin/salbutamol inhaler. Never had any issues with it. Worked great.

However in recent years, they've been giving me these lovely little salamol generics that crap out after a few activations, and something in their composition gives me palpitations and makes me feel extremely jittery after using them (I have a similar problem with caffeine and a bunch of other medications).

I can't find anything specifying the difference apart from an asthma forum claiming (unsourced) that the generics use ethanol? Apparently if the prescription specifically says ventolin you can get the older style so I might try that, but it does mean running the gauntlet of trying to get through to the GP surgery.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

one of the more depressing things about it is that the safest tory seats are disproportionately held by the biggest headbangers, so even in the event of the Full Starmergeddon and the tories being reduced to 20 mps, that 20 probably includes badenoch, braverman, francois, patel, and truss, at least.

so like as not the lesson they take from electoral annihilation will be 'the woke marxist deep state did this', they assert control of the party orgs, invite farage and tice back into the club, fold reform into the New Conservative Party for Liberty and Democracy, and by the time the next election rolls around after a few years under a labour government that believes it would be wrong to offer hope at a time when hopelessness is ongoing, the uk has a full on blood-gargling populist party to match wit the rest of europe

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

However in recent years, they've been giving me these lovely little salamol generics that crap out after a few activations, and something in their composition gives me palpitations and makes me feel extremely jittery after using them (I have a similar problem with caffeine and a bunch of other medications).

I can't find anything specifying the difference apart from an asthma forum claiming (unsourced) that the generics use ethanol? Apparently if the prescription specifically says ventolin you can get the older style so I might try that, but it does mean running the gauntlet of trying to get through to the GP surgery.
Crapping out after a few activations + giving you the symptoms of a significantly higher than normal dose implies to me that the metering system is overdosing you and you should speak to the pharmacist about that asap

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Public taps that wine comes out of
Finally a Labour policy I can get behindunder.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Watching that Adam Curtis / Martin Michael Sheen drama 'The Way' and gotta say, it's pretty terrible.

I didn't really like The Way. I found it odd, and not in an 'intriguing' way.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
It would be interesting to know how much the whole RV ordeal and finance stuff has hurt the SNP, there are a sensible alternative to Labour in that they get votes in a FPTP system.

I would expect given Labour and the lurch to the right because who are the left in England going to vote for? Tories?

As for The Way, it seemed clumsy towards the end, if it had something like the third act of Children of Men it would work better.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Just Another Lurker posted:

I can see why a cleaver could be a good choice, bought one years ago (7in Ken Hom branded off Amazon on discount) and they are bloody great for all my veg cutting/chopping... i rarely cut meat.

Consider a Chinese cleaver (not the same as an actual cleaver, you aren't cutting through bone with these, they are general chef's knives). It's nothing fancy but I have this -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005HE8F8S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1764666740917575973?s=20

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
gently caress him up jez

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Libel Farage

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What was the defamatory statement?

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
8 years too late but hey-ho.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What was the defamatory statement?

A statement from Mr Corbyn's team said Mr Farage "accused Jeremy Corbyn of subscribing to an antisemitic conspiracy theory".

^ from Sky, their article doesn't currently contain the actual words said by Farage

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The man who used to sing Hitler Youth songs? Who believes in the Great Replacement conspiracy theory and calls things he doesn't like "cultural marxism"? He's accusing people of subscribing to an antisemitic conspiracy theory?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Consider a Chinese cleaver (not the same as an actual cleaver, you aren't cutting through bone with these, they are general chef's knives). It's nothing fancy but I have this -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005HE8F8S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rechecked my cleaver i remembered the wrong bloody one! :downsowned:
Sorry about that.

This is what i'm using nowadays: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001ASYCLE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 a Mercer like yours, different model. :kiddo:

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
The segment he's suing over is a GB News broadcast where Nigel says: 'I don't believe in a Jewish conspiracy to control the world... BUT JEREMY CORBYN DOES'

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
That's weird because just a couple of years/months ago he was claiming a globilalist agenda to push Marxism funded by George Soros and that the Jewish lobby has a disproportionate influence in American politics. Which sounds a bit anti semitic conspiracy theory adjacent to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Galloway is a baffling politician to me. Like maybe 60% his takes are actually very on point, but the remainder are absolute horseshit. He seems generally alright on foreign policy and economics but dear god he can be pretty reactionary socially and the gleeful transphobia is grim. I don't know how much of this is actually what he genuinely believes and how much is him actively playing to religious conservatives in his constituency, but I guess that's besides the point. I do think he's a narcissist, and he's clearly primarily interested in George Galloway first and foremost.

Still, many problematic issues aside, he's consistently been good on Palestine and he's positioning himself as a left-wing populist, so if nothing else it'll be good to have someone in the commons actually calling the centrists out, and it's nice to see the major parties losing their minds about him. I'm interested to see how things play out.