Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

bombarding an inhabited planetary surface using knockout rays from an interstellar spaceship is surely an act of war in like 99.many-nines% of all possible situations and godlike infliction of terror in most of the remainder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

indiscriminately lazor-sedating a few neighborhoods surely wont create any negative externalities

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Squizzle posted:

indiscriminately lazor-sedating a few neighborhoods surely wont create any negative externalities

But that drat dog wouldn't shut up! We had to do SOMETHING

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm honestly really happy the CinemaSins backlash came. I was fine with that channel when it was just some haha lols diversion, but the moment it became clear that both they and their fans actually thought their observations were real, actual problems with media, my heart sank to a degree I really can't express, and watching that thought pattern permeate seemingly legitimate criticism, I legit died a little inside in ways that will never come back.

We live in an age where people thinking media illiteracy is just as good as media literacy has led to us electing a loving racist game show host to the highest office because brand is everything, and I just want to go back to the days where noticing these "well why didn't they just" things is just fun and fun alone, and I'm happy we're here in this thread right now.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lmbo so my friend and I found this issue of STAR TREK: THE MAGAZINE at a local antique shop, and the interview with Marc Alaimo is buck wild

I'm going to eventually type the whole thing in but I just had to share some choice excerpts before I go to bed tonight:

"The interesting thing about Dukat, which none of the regulars could do, is that he could be bad. He could be good, very likable, very charming, all of those things, and I think he was very sexy, but he could also be a son of a bitch, and if you didn't see things his way: tough. That's what it takes to be a leader; I'm convinced of that. Every group needs a dictator, and that's what Dukat was."

quote:

Much of Dukat's energy was expended on trying to charm Major Kira, and Marc is in no doubt why he did it. "Oh, he wanted to sleep with her! Listen, Nana [Visitor] is one of the women in my life. She doesn't know it, of course, but I couldn't even talk when I was around Nana."

"He was capable of anything, but I don't think his nature was instinctively evil. You can't have seven children and then be an evil killer."

"I always thought [Dukat] was indestructible and incredibly strong, I wanted to at some point demonstrate that; I wanted to pick somebody up very easily with one hand - literally pick them up off the ground - but we never got to do it. In my mind I knew that's how he was - physically incredibly strong, and almost indestructible; and fearless."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I do wonder if part of why the writers swerved Dukat straight into space Hitler wasn't just because of nazi groupies, but also because they were sick of Alaimo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

davidspackage posted:

I do wonder if part of why the writers swerved Dukat straight into space Hitler wasn't just because of nazi groupies, but also because they were sick of Alaimo.

They'dve offed Dukat a LOT sooner than the literal series finale if that were the case, I'd imagine.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

Stargate wasn't around for 70 years.

lol look at this fool who didn't see Stargate: The Motion Picture in the theater in the late 60's!

Absolute classic. Although as nice as it looked I am sorta glad they cut down how long it took people to travel through the gate wormhole to near instantly from it's original 47 minutes in the film.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lmbo so my friend and I found this issue of STAR TREK: THE MAGAZINE at a local antique shop, and the interview with Marc Alaimo is buck wild

I'm going to eventually type the whole thing in but I just had to share some choice excerpts before I go to bed tonight:

"The interesting thing about Dukat, which none of the regulars could do, is that he could be bad. He could be good, very likable, very charming, all of those things, and I think he was very sexy, but he could also be a son of a bitch, and if you didn't see things his way: tough. That's what it takes to be a leader; I'm convinced of that. Every group needs a dictator, and that's what Dukat was."

"He was capable of anything, but I don't think his nature was instinctively evil. You can't have seven children and then be an evil killer."

"I always thought [Dukat] was indestructible and incredibly strong, I wanted to at some point demonstrate that; I wanted to pick somebody up very easily with one hand - literally pick them up off the ground - but we never got to do it. In my mind I knew that's how he was - physically incredibly strong, and almost indestructible; and fearless."

I had that one! I distinctly remember how weird that interview was, it always stuck with me.

RIP Star Trek: The Magazine and the pre-Titan Star Wars Insider. They were both absolute godsends for weird dorks in the days before every show had a comprehensive wiki.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Timby posted:

Don't worry. The fourth-season premiere was the result of Berman and Braga loving off and handing new showrunner Manny Coto the mother of all holes to dig out from.

If I knew what was happening later in the episode, I'd have stuck around. I didn't, and I still think I made the right call based on what I knew.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He wasn't acting, he was giving us his truth

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

nine-gear crow posted:

They'dve offed Dukat a LOT sooner than the literal series finale if that were the case, I'd imagine.

Sure, but then they'd be out of the show's biggest antagonist, and he was popular with fans, even if they loved to hate him. Maybe Marc went to the writers one too many times.

Alaimo: you know, I think now would be an excellent time to introduce that Dukat-Kira love affair I keep mentioning to you guys. And maybe finally write that scene where I deadlift O'Brien --

Writer: YOU KNOW WHAT, Marc,

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Armin Shimmerman also has some of that energy, although maybe not so grandiose. If being invested in your character (and your career/position as an actor) leads to good performances I'm all for it.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that security and engineering both wearing yellow makes sense since they should be working hand in hand, but really security should be 95% engineering stuff outright.

Enemy boarding party on deck 12. Start beaming their torsos into space.

They've activated transporter jammers. Flood the compartments with knockout gas.

They've got breathing gear. Activate holographic bee swarm program.

They've donned their combat beekeeper gear. Crank the gravity up to 20g.

They're wearing powered exosuits. Okay, fine, I guess it's time to go shoot them in person.

I feel like sending a bunch of your engineering nerds with rifles and cotton onesies to fight the people boarding the ship with powered armor is a good way to lose a lot of engineers.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Season 3's thesis seems to be "it's ok to commit crimes against humanity if 9/11".

"Similitude" certainly has an interesting moral quandary at its core, but holy wow Archer wasn't even phased. He just goes straight to the medical atrocity.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Season 3's thesis seems to be "it's ok to commit crimes against humanity if 9/11".

"...or is it?"
boom, problem solved

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
“Similitude” is the one where they create a doomed Tucker clone to harvest the organs of, right?

They should have grown the organs inside a beagle. Then Archer would have thought twice about it

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Similitude lives and dies of the strength of Connor Trinneer's performance, and it's one of his best episodes.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The performance is great but it's the single most evil thing Archer has ever done.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

People were like "Wow, Janeway makes a lot of questionable decisions!" and Berman was like "I know! What if we made a captain who was ALL questionable decisions!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

The performance is great but it's the single most evil thing Archer has ever done.

...Yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A lot of Enterprise was a reflection of the issues with post 9/11 United States without any level of nuanced awareness or commentary.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

bull3964 posted:

A lot of Enterprise was a reflection of the issues with post 9/11 United States without any level of nuanced awareness or commentary.

Yeah. The Memory Alpha article says how well received that episode was and it 100% comes down to the audience at the time thinking Archer did what had to be done. The next episode has Archer torturing a blood bank employee to complete his mission. In fact, Archer has tortured more than one dude this season.

At least with Janeway it was a toss of the coin whether she'd harvest your brain to your screaming protest or if she'd pull a Principal Skinner and insist the clone go by Trip from now on and no one ever mention this again.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

God I love the episode where he intentionally strands himself on a planet with Sisko so he can convince him that he's a good guy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

thotsky posted:

Armin Shimmerman also has some of that energy, although maybe not so grandiose. If being invested in your character (and your career/position as an actor) leads to good performances I'm all for it.

It's one of the things that makes Garak so great too, that Andrew Robinson just dove into the character. Thankfully it also gave is "A Stitch In Time" as well.

Just... don't be all Jared Leto about it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

davidspackage posted:

Sure, but then they'd be out of the show's biggest antagonist, and he was popular with fans, even if they loved to hate him. Maybe Marc went to the writers one too many times.

Alaimo: you know, I think now would be an excellent time to introduce that Dukat-Kira love affair I keep mentioning to you guys. And maybe finally write that scene where I deadlift O'Brien --

Writer: YOU KNOW WHAT, Marc,

It's one of those stories that gets regurgitated and passed around internet threads like this one over and over, I have no idea if it's true, but supposedly in the middle of DS9s run when they were trying to make their villains nuanced and complex, Dukat got really popular and they were slowly ramping up to a Dukat and Kira romance. One of the reasons it didn't happen was that Nana Visitor threatened to walk if they tried to pull something so stupid.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

It's one of those stories that gets regurgitated and passed around internet threads like this one over and over, I have no idea if it's true, but supposedly in the middle of DS9s run when they were trying to make their villains nuanced and complex, Dukat got really popular and they were slowly ramping up to a Dukat and Kira romance. One of the reasons it didn't happen was that Nana Visitor threatened to walk if they tried to pull something so stupid.

The version that usually makes the rounds, and I believe it's been repeated by the 2 involved, is it was her and Ira Behr screaming at each other over the big console in the Ops set

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Atlas Hugged posted:

They’re not crimes against humanity if the victims aren’t human

:hmmyes:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

counterfeitsaint posted:

I do believe it's recounted by Nana Visitor in the official DS9 Companion book at least once.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They’re not crimes against humanity if the victims aren’t human

:hmmyes:

Crimes against humanity? Why, the very term is racist.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

skasion posted:

Crimes against humanity? Why, the very term is racist.

I was gonna say "Azetbur Intensifies".

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Archer asking T'Pol to untie the blood bank worker so he could crack him in the jaw is just the most 2003 thing I've seen in the show. "Ends justifying the means" bullshit.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I can't decide what's worse: the fact that ENT S3 is 24 in space, or that they handed the lion's share of that tone to Scott Bakula. The guy is just too affable. When he's being ruthless I just don't buy it. It makes everything seem forced in addition to be terrible in and of itself. I'm a bit of an ENT apologist, but no one is going to die on the hill that is S3.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
He comes across as a very divorced dad, which is kind of prescient given that Musk and company all have limp, bewildered fury as their primary personality trait at this point.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I always figured stunning someone with a phaser was like anesthesia, you come out of it fine in 99.9% of cases but every once in a while you stun someone and trigger a nervous system condition you didn't know they had or they collapse and crack their head open on the curb, so you don't want to just stun everyone willy-nilly.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

You can also kill someone who is already unconscious by point-blank shooting them to head with the stun setting.

Its a plot point in ST6.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Railing Kill posted:

I can't decide what's worse: the fact that ENT S3 is 24 in space, or that they handed the lion's share of that tone to Scott Bakula. The guy is just too affable. When he's being ruthless I just don't buy it. It makes everything seem forced in addition to be terrible in and of itself. I'm a bit of an ENT apologist, but no one is going to die on the hill that is S3.

I am very much an ENT apologist (as evidenced by my posting :v:) but no, it's basically impossible to die on the hill of Archer as Hard Man Makin' Hard Choices.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Fighting Trousers posted:

I am very much an ENT apologist (as evidenced by my posting :v:) but no, it's basically impossible to die on the hill of Archer as Hard Man Makin' Hard Choices.

:respek:

"Mom, can we have Adm. Adama?"

"No, we have Adama at home, dear."

At home: Capt. Archer.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

The interview with him from What We Left Behind is essentially the same, and borderline creepy to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Okay but that's what it took to deliver the most charismatic and engaging villain in the entire series so who's to say if it's good or bad