Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Just remember there are only five turns.

Have some of your shooty stuff in strat reserve, so your deployment zone isn't bunched up but also so it can arrive on the board and do some work and potentially save the day.

Have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Lostconfused posted:

Scions, Kasrkin, and character squads like ghosts are all 28mm too.

Scions are still 25 mm, only the Cadian Command Squad is 28 mm Officially, the entire rest of the Battleline and most of the rest of the older Characters are all on 25 mm.

Only the newer kits are on 28 mm.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I think trying to find a pattern in base sizes is pointless. I'm 99% sure the only process is that the sculptors try a base on and go "yeah that looks right".

Other than that, the only pattern is that they're phasing out 25mm except for super tiny things and only old models have them.

The only reason the new Cadians are on 25mms is that I'm pretty sure Nottingham would have been razed to the ground if you told guard players they had to rebase their hundreds of guardsmen to 28mm.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I should have posted this initially cause visuals always help.

Size comparison: Phobos kitbashes v MKIII
Bases & units aren't complete/painted, just using them as examples

Full lineup 40mm to 32mm:

40mm:

32mm

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The arcoflagellants also have 25mm bases, having just assembled them. Also, oops, I snipped off one of Arcoflagellant C's whip finger things. Ruined forever, or the kind of thing nobody gives a poo poo about?

Since I'm getting near done with the assembly I am wondering what the hell I do with the decal sheet they gave me. Advice or guidance welcome.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

The arcoflagellants also have 25mm bases, having just assembled them. Also, oops, I snipped off one of Arcoflagellant C's whip finger things. Ruined forever, or the kind of thing nobody gives a poo poo about?

It's called battle damage OP.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah just rough it up a bit and put some scorch marks around it. If you want to get fancy, pin it with a thin paper clip to make it look like it’s breaking mid run

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, why is the Cadian command squad on 28mm and the platoon command squad on 25mm when they're the exact same thing!?

Geisladisk posted:

The only reason the new Cadians are on
25mms is that I'm pretty sure Nottingham would have been razed to the ground if you told guard players they had to rebase their hundreds of guardsmen to 28mm.

This will happen when the new guard codex gets rid of 25mm 3 months before 11th edition launches.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Are there any good resources for how to play genestealer cults? Everything i can find is from/around release and leans hard on things that don't work anymore like abusing demo run on atalan jackals. All the battle reports on YouTube are also either old or the players don't really seem to know what they're doing either/running strange or joke lists that it's hard to get anything from.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Nessus posted:

it's fixable if you want to gently caress with .5mm drill bits. otherwise nobody gives a poo poo

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Wait, why is the Cadian command squad on 28mm and the platoon command squad on 25mm when they're the exact same thing!?

If you're referring to the Waha page I'm thinking they haven't bothered updating the bases from the older version.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Wurzag posted:

Are there any good resources for how to play genestealer cults? Everything i can find is from/around release and leans hard on things that don't work anymore like abusing demo run on atalan jackals. All the battle reports on YouTube are also either old or the players don't really seem to know what they're doing either/running strange or joke lists that it's hard to get anything from.

It’s still just abuse acolyte demo charges, that’s really the only trick the index has. It’s a dull overly shooty army list and I’m holding out hope the codex will make any sort of close combat useful.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Cooked Auto posted:

If you're referring to the Waha page I'm thinking they haven't bothered updating the bases from the older version.

Actually, it's because the Platoon Command Squad is the either the older Cadian Command Squad or the Forgeworld Krieg kit or that awful Catachan kits and they are all on 25mm bases, they changed the newer Cadian Command Squads to 28mm because the sodding banner keeps falling over on the old size.

The new Cadian Infantry is 25mm, so don't worry about that chore.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ah, yeah I never built mine with a banner.

Also I think the Catachan Command Squad still holds up. Much better than the (old) Cadian one, because the old greatcoat legs suck in terms of stance, and the power sword arm you get with it is also awful. :colbert:

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
It's taken an extremely long time, but I've finally managed to paint my 4th Sentinel. I think I got it as a Christmas present about 20 years ago. :)

The model was in a half basecoated condition for a long time, I just added some shade and highlight along with the detail. It's a bit plain, I think I'll convert a hunter-killer missile launch rail on the right side where the multilaser battery would go to give the model more visual interest. Apart from that I'm pretty happy how it turned out.

Here's the whole gang, painted during those 20 years, oldest on the left. The first two predate the introduction of Agrax Earthshade. :D

Now all I have to paint is a about 20 infantry models and I'll be done with my IG backlog!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Nessus posted:

Since I'm getting near done with the assembly I am wondering what the hell I do with the decal sheet they gave me. Advice or guidance welcome.

Having broken various spindly bits often enough, a pretty great fix is clear UV resin. Put the bit in place, spread some resin around the break, then hit it with the UV flashlight.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Those are all good plans, although this was a REALLY tiny bit - like it is part of the whippy thing the arcoflagellants have, and I think I have already lost it. Battle damage sounds like a good plan though, and it is good to know there are solutions if I accidentally chop off someone's arm or gun!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The more I find out about the rules the less I like them.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

Those are all good plans, although this was a REALLY tiny bit - like it is part of the whippy thing the arcoflagellants have, and I think I have already lost it. Battle damage sounds like a good plan though, and it is good to know there are solutions if I accidentally chop off someone's arm or gun!

The best part about accidentally breaking arco flagellants is that you can just replace the hands with anything that doesn't have obvious non-Imperial iconography on it. Power klaws and those old Ork chain-choppas are great for that

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

The Demilich posted:

Having broken various spindly bits often enough, a pretty great fix is clear UV resin. Put the bit in place, spread some resin around the break, then hit it with the UV flashlight.

IMO UV resin is great for reinforcing the joint but if its plastic fusing the surfaces together with plastic glue first is probably more secure.

The UV can't actually penetrate into the joint space so the resin there will remain uncured and everything will be held together by the sheath of resin outside.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Z the IVth posted:

IMO UV resin is great for reinforcing the joint but if its plastic fusing the surfaces together with plastic glue first is probably more secure.

The UV can't actually penetrate into the joint space so the resin there will remain uncured and everything will be held together by the sheath of resin outside.

I mainly work with resin bits so that's where my head was at with the recommendation. I wouldn't get resin anywhere light couldn't touch, so yeah you would expressly only place it around the two bits connecting, not inside. Uncured resin is not something you want sitting around.

If you're dealing with plastic then yeah opt for plastic glue.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nessus posted:

Would the tip of an old ballpoint pen work, or would it be too big? Looking at images, the ends are only vaguely weapon shaped, but I’m i sure of size.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The sculpts for Gaunt and the Tanith look so good, worth it for a good looking commissar model at the very least even if you don't want to use them as a unit.

That pose for Gaunt is so dynamic, I love it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tried doing some pin drilling, stopped because I seemed to just be constantly making weird divergent apertures that were going to gently caress up the gun model parts irreparably OR made teeny tiny little holes that didn't look like anything. Is this a case where I just should have gotten a power tool or what :smith:

Also if there is some kind of guide on how to make decals look good I would love to see it, google failed me or seemed to be inferring that I already knew how to work with them at all.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I just got laid off. time to finish my space marine army!

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Nessus posted:

Tried doing some pin drilling, stopped because I seemed to just be constantly making weird divergent apertures that were going to gently caress up the gun model parts irreparably OR made teeny tiny little holes that didn't look like anything. Is this a case where I just should have gotten a power tool or what :smith:

Also if there is some kind of guide on how to make decals look good I would love to see it, google failed me or seemed to be inferring that I already knew how to work with them at all.

What helps me a ton with drilling barrels and whatnot is using a tool as a center punch. I tend to use a modeling tool with a spike at one end or a really pointy metal file, whichever I see first in my tool box.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

xtothez posted:

Waaaaagh! The mad lads actually put a stompa in a battleforce

quote:

TRANSPORT
This model has a transport capacity of 22 ORKS INFANTRY models. Each MEGA ARMOUR or JUMP PACK model takes up the space of 2 models. GHAZGHKULL THRAKA takes up the space of 18 models.

:thunk:

Should've made it a Stompa and Ghaz box.

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness

Trying to poorhammer my way to a second techmarine but having trouble thinking of ways to hide the fact that he ain’t got no legs

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Slap some tech looking things underneath and put a little flight stand underneath him.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Nothing But Hate posted:

Trying to poorhammer my way to a second techmarine but having trouble thinking of ways to hide the fact that he ain’t got no legs

trashcan

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Alternatively just give him a skirt, it works for the the Dark Angels

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Extreme incense censer, hiding his lower half in smoke.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Nothing But Hate posted:

Greenstuff robe that's closed in the front. That way you can just stick him on a wire to stand him up.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Go extreme Liefeld and put an enormous rock in front of him

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

smug jeebus posted:

It def grinds my gears that one Jakhal has a larger base than all of the others, or that the Bloodletter characters are on larger bases than the unit

My god this is my exact problem. Loads of cool Chaos models for AoS are actually Warcry sets. So they use a mix of different base sizes, and indeed the physical models are almost in different scales - ie they are all human fighters, but the leader/champ types will be head and shoulders bigger than the mooks. It winds me up so much.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Nessus posted:

For decals, you want Micro Sol and Micro Set.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nessus posted:

From the few times I tried it, even a handheld dremel ends up being way, way too much for the scale that models operate at. Fuckups when you're handholding a pin vice, doing one rotation at a time manually get turned into huge gouges or holes blown entirely through something when you've got a motor spinning at whatever RPMs it spins at. Start with a tiny starter hole drilled manually with the tip of a hobby knife twirled around a few times. Yes it's going to be very very tiny and shallow, the only thing it's doing is holding the very tip of your bit in place as it starts to rotate. The bit will widen that hole for you since that's, ya know, what it does.

You also want to avoid muscles providing your stability. Muscles are never stable they just don't operate that way. I sometimes end in yoga-looking poses where I've got one hand braced on the work surface, the other hand holding the drill braced on my first hand and so on. Whatever it takes to have bone contact to a solid, stable surface.

And this may be a Tyranid thing that doesn't work on "normal" guns like space marine bolters or whatever but I usually don't have to actually drill all that deep anyway. Just enough to make a cone recess in to the barrel then after primer put some pure black paint in there and there's just plain no way to tell the difference without a magnifying glass three inches away from the model.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I once tried to use a handheld sanding tool to remove some paint off the side of a Leman Russ hull.
It ended up being a bit too effective and starts removing the detailing so I had to go back to doing the scrubbing by hand.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

bird food bathtub posted:

From the few times I tried it, even a handheld dremel ends up being way, way too much for the scale that models operate at. Fuckups when you're handholding a pin vice, doing one rotation at a time manually get turned into huge gouges or holes blown entirely through something when you've got a motor spinning at whatever RPMs it spins at. Start with a tiny starter hole drilled manually with the tip of a hobby knife twirled around a few times. Yes it's going to be very very tiny and shallow, the only thing it's doing is holding the very tip of your bit in place as it starts to rotate. The bit will widen that hole for you since that's, ya know, what it does.

You also want to avoid muscles providing your stability. Muscles are never stable they just don't operate that way. I sometimes end in yoga-looking poses where I've got one hand braced on the work surface, the other hand holding the drill braced on my first hand and so on. Whatever it takes to have bone contact to a solid, stable surface.

And this may be a Tyranid thing that doesn't work on "normal" guns like space marine bolters or whatever but I usually don't have to actually drill all that deep anyway. Just enough to make a cone recess in to the barrel then after primer put some pure black paint in there and there's just plain no way to tell the difference without a magnifying glass three inches away from the model.
Reasonable! The drill set with my little pin drill came with a bunch of loving tiny loose drill bits and this set of ten 'actual bits with chucks for the teeth to bite into.' I was trying to put some holds into the barrels that looked plausible and I lowballed what to do, though I did go pretty deep on a couple. It may at this point be best to accept that the already-primed models are just going to be lacking in this field and try to do it with the unprimed ones, or a future set, but even so... even so...

The last 'thing' I have been considering getting is one of those ice-cream-cone-looking things for holding onto the figurines. Seems like a reasonable investment but it's not clear to me how they actually hold the thing in place. Some kind of putty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I got a little minidrill specifically for minis cause I found the pin vice too painful to use with my hands and muscles as they are (garbage after years of videogaming and using a computer for both work and leisure I suppose?). Even doing a tiny little hole on one model took ages and my hands ached afterward. It spins pretty slowly but surely and I've not hosed anything up with it yet, if you're gonna be drilling a lot of holes for magnets or the barrels of guns and such, probably worth the investment just on time imo.