Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Saladman posted:

Isn’t the Danish krone basically just a palate swap of the euro? Looks like it has kept an exact peg to the euro for its entire existence.

To be more specific, it's nominally independent of the Euro, but the entire currency policy is that it must maintain the same conversion rate to the Euro at all times. So in theory Denmark could opt out, but in practice it's a palette swap. Also we aren't directly bound to support the Euro countries, which I think was relevant when Greece got hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
When I take a stroll across the border into Denmark the shops take Euros anyway. :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Saladman posted:

Lebanon has also been fully legally dollarized for at least 25 years, so much so that it was used interchangeably (and in mixed bills) with the lira up until the end of 2019. Now it’s even more common, and the lira is just used for small change.

Isn’t the Danish krone basically just a palate swap of the euro? Looks like it has kept an exact peg to the euro for its entire existence.

actually the new-fangled euro is pegged to the older danish krone

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wrong. All of us are using the Kosovo Euro

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

When I take a stroll across the border into Denmark the shops take Euros anyway. :v:

That's called Tysklands Odde, the German Peninsula, and it's not really Denmark. Also it's just common sense in border regions to take birth currencies.

The real question is why you're going over æ græns in the wrong direction to shop? Germany is notoriously cheaper than Denmark

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I assume you're being hyperbolic but it would be pretty funny if Jutland in its entirety was considered the German Peninsula

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's called Jut Land because it juts out of Germany.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
:hmmyes: Slesvig-Holsten should just annex Jutland and secede from Germany.

e: I travel light and buy local groceries. Also, Danish yogurt.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Antigravitas posted:

:hmmyes: Slesvig-Holsten should just annex Jutland and secede from Germany.
Finally, someone solved the question.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I assume you're being hyperbolic but it would be pretty funny if Jutland in its entirety was considered the German Peninsula

Northern Jutland is an island in itself, so only up to below the brim is the German Peninsula. But yeah, Copenhagen centrist hyperbole.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Since they dug the Kiel Canal all of Denmark is technically an island.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Chicks Club Blast? Sounds like a fun Friday night

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ras Het posted:

Wait til you learn about the Danish krone
Would be worth a dollar if we weren't shackled to the Euro. We could've ridden Novo Nordisk to the moon.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Since they dug the Kiel Canal all of Denmark is technically an island.
To respect the pretty borders principle, the border should be moved south to the canal.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Would be worth a dollar if we weren't shackled to the Euro. We could've ridden Novo Nordisk to the moon.

To respect the pretty borders principle, the border should be moved south to the canal.

last time denmark tried this it basically unified germany so what im saying is this time it'll unify the EU under the prussian boot

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Shout out to the Chicxulub impact event! Without it we’d still be small proto-primates. We wouldn’t be here to get this ice and tattoos.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 4, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Smashed all of Europe's windows, allowing Frédéric Bastiat to compete economically with the dinosaurs.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

last time denmark tried this it basically unified germany so what im saying is this time it'll unify the EU under the prussian boot
This time, everyone else knows what we have always known, that Europe is safer is Germany is kept a manageable size.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Is it not already?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Is it not already?

they hosed up and now its in the iron first of a bunch of waffle eating bureaucrats

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Antigravitas posted:

I live in Washington and when I go to Canada all the shops near the border take US dollars and give me Canadian change. It's better to exchange money for any big purchases, but I'm not going to sweat the exchange rate over a soda at the gas station.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Air Skwirl posted:

I live in Washington and when I go to Canada all the shops near the border take US dollars and give me Canadian change. It's better to exchange money for any big purchases, but I'm not going to sweat the exchange rate over a soda at the gas station.

In that case you at least have a proper border though (not saying it's a good thing).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 5, 2024

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
You could go between the US/Mexico/Canada borders without a passport when I was a kid. Thanks for ruining a good thing, Bush.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

BonHair posted:

To be more specific, it's nominally independent of the Euro, but the entire currency policy is that it must maintain the same conversion rate to the Euro at all times. So in theory Denmark could opt out, but in practice it's a palette swap. Also we aren't directly bound to support the Euro countries, which I think was relevant when Greece got hosed.

The gulf states do the same thing with the dollar, to circle this digression back to the original map that started it.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

The gulf states do the same thing with the dollar, to circle this digression back to the original map that started it.

That plus Eritrea and Djibouti, and much of the Caribbean, apparently:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_circulating_fixed_exchange_rate_currencies

Kind of surprising that Bermuda is pegged to the US$ and not the GB£, and same with Aruba instead of being pegged to the Euro - or just straight up using - the Euro.

Also I wonder why "Falklands Island Pound" and "Panamanian Balboa" are listed as separate currencies, but not e.g. Scottish pound, when they're literally identical and printed/minted by the UK and US, respectively. E: Looks like those pseudo-currencies get their own Forex code for some reason that isn't quite clear to me, whereas Scotland still uses the GBP Forex code.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 5, 2024

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Saladman posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_circulating_fixed_exchange_rate_currencies

Kind of surprising that Bermuda is pegged to the US$ and not the GB£, and same with Aruba instead of being pegged to the Euro - or just straight up using - the Euro.

Also I wonder why "Falklands Island Pound" and "Panamanian Balboa" are listed as separate currencies, but not e.g. Scottish pound, when they're literally identical and printed/minted by the UK and US, respectively.

Maybe because Falklands Pounds and Balboas aren't interchangeable the same way scottish and english pounds are.

You can pay for something with scottish banknotes in england but you can't pay for something with Balboas in the US.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Saladman posted:

I guess it makes sense. Those places like Aruba are right next to the United States, especially if you count Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands and whatnot, and like it or not, the US dollar is the world's reserve currency. The euro is a distant second...I think? Not sure how it actually compares to the yuan or whatever, but it doesn't really matter compared to the undisputed number one, namely the $.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Weembles posted:

you can't pay for something with Balboas in the US.

Well, you can. The "Balboa" is literally US dollars, like not even a palette swap, they are literally verbatim exact US dollars.

Their coins have different stamps on them, but they're printed by the US mint and they work just fine in vending machines in the US. Bank accounts in Panama are in US$, there is no transaction fee to use a US account in Panama or vice-versa.

E: Except their dollar coin is different from the US's. The others are identical.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 5, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Weembles posted:

You can pay for something with scottish banknotes in england
In theory yes, but as Scotland has two private banks allowed to print cash rather than a central national bank and lots of retailers in England are entirely ignorant of the legal existence of Scotland you can still get into arguments.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The automated machines will take them but yeah otherwise you're just trying to convince people this weird money they almost never see is not fake.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Trying to convince the bartender at 1am that Monopoly is a place in Lanarkshire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Remember working at the charity shop and the manager was sure that The Pen would detect all fraud.

Yeah if it's printed on office paper maybe but I don't need an iodine pen to tell me that.

Thus demonstrating that the function of the pen is not to detect fraud per se but to serve as the illusion of a higher power to appeal to in times of crisis *schniff*

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 5, 2024

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

France having a longer border with Belgium than with Spain doesn't seem right, but maybe its northern border is just exceptionally irregular. Don't you run into a sort of 'coastline paradox' when trying to measure the length of a border, anyway?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Only where the border is naturally defined. Land boundaries generally run from monument to monument and don't have that problem. Even ones defined as crests or catchment boundaries probably have an agreed upon survey that fixes it to a bunch of line segments. As for your water defined ones, sure you could investigate whether this pebble sits in Kentuckistan or Musoria, but usually it's just going to be reckoned to whatever resolution that the surveyor drew it on a map.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bringing this over from a Ukraine thread, an emblem that incorporates a very interesting map:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Powered Descent posted:

Bringing this over from a Ukraine thread, an emblem that incorporates a very interesting map:

which euiv mod is that?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
That owl looks like the logo of a college sports team

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

What's with the Spanish border having 2 numbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Air Skwirl posted:

What's with the Spanish border having 2 numbers?

that's andorra