Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Lysandus posted:

Is this a common bug when you find things like super cred or medals like this and you can't pick them up?

It is an animation bug I believe. Always look at both before you pick one up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Any tips for someone running into the bug where they are stuck at the loading screen on PS5? Buddy has been having issues over the past 2 days and hasn't been able to play past the tutorial. Tried rebooting the PS5, doesn't look like there is a "verify files" type of thing.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I thought I saw this asked up-thread, but I don't remember what the answer was: Is there any way to tell what kind of enemy composition you're facing before you dive? I tend to prefer the grenade launcher when going up against Bile Spewers, but the mission either has them or doesn't, and I'd prefer to take something else in any other circumstance.

Are they present on specific planets?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Warmachine posted:

I thought I saw this asked up-thread, but I don't remember what the answer was: Is there any way to tell what kind of enemy composition you're facing before you dive? I tend to prefer the grenade launcher when going up against Bile Spewers, but the mission either has them or doesn't, and I'd prefer to take something else in any other circumstance.

Are they present on specific planets?

depends on difficulty level and planet yeah

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

They're evolving

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Any tips for someone running into the bug where they are stuck at the loading screen on PS5? Buddy has been having issues over the past 2 days and hasn't been able to play past the tutorial. Tried rebooting the PS5, doesn't look like there is a "verify files" type of thing.

You have to boot into safe mode and rebuild the database. It may also reset some other weird system level notifications that are mildly annoying.

Edit: that may be the clear system cache option

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks! Will have them try that.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Just had a really good example of the angle of your shot mattering for penetration and figured I'd share it here:
https://i.imgur.com/P1qIE5Q.mp4
The shot was off to the right and skipped right off the leg of the Charger

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
had a whole patrol of bugs spawn out of thin air right in front of me, had to empty every weapon and grenade, drat jungle is speaking insect

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Insert name here posted:

Just had a really good example of the angle of your shot mattering for penetration and figured I'd share it here:
https://i.imgur.com/P1qIE5Q.mp4
The shot was off to the right and skipped right off the leg of the Charger

Given that the EAT should have very high penetration values (or at least, I imagine it so, it's a one shot weapon so at least it should be good as its role!), I'd say the game is calculating first if a shot should do damage or be bounced/glanced depending on the angle, and then after that angle calculation binary check, it actually applies damage depending on the armor/penetration/damage values.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
its extremely funny when your shot deflects off armor and perfectly nails your teammate

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

priznat posted:

I have picked up a flamethrower a couple times and it seems pretty bad, anything close enough to hit with it is probably running at you and will set you on fire too :supaburn:

The name of the game is area-denial. You walk backwards or sideways while creating a sea of fire for your enemies to drown themselves in. It can wipe out waves of charging bugs more efficiently than any other weapon I've yet tried - and yes, I do have a Breaker.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's like DRG's flamethrower in that sense, yeah. Except it does friendly fire with the sticky flames lol

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Spookydonut posted:

its extremely funny when your shot deflects off armor and perfectly nails your teammate

i shot myself in the head with a grenade launcher this way

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I had a network issue that dropped the pubbie game I started, so I joined quickplay and ended up with a bunch of underleveled people doing a bot blitz mission. No problems there, but at the end screen I get this.

Thanks quickplay.

I already had all the supers and rare samples I needed to max everything out but that's still ~200 common samples, as well as maxing out all the limits for any future upgrades that might be added.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

turn off the TV posted:

i shot myself in the head with a grenade launcher this way

I've done the same. The grenade deflected vertically off a bug and came back down on me as I advanced. It must have gone high, because it took a while before it landed on me.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Booty Pageant posted:

had a whole patrol of bugs spawn out of thin air right in front of me, had to empty every weapon and grenade, drat jungle is speaking insect

This has happened to me a couple times now both with bugs and bots. Clear open field, just chilling prone - trigger an aggro in an outpost somewhere and instead of a bot drop/Bug breach, half a patrol just materializes literally in front of you.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
drop orbital gas barrage on extraction
ask who farted
refuse to elaborate
extract

also the new king of hilarious teamkilling is the tesla sentry on jungle maps

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Darox posted:

I had a network issue that dropped the pubbie game I started, so I joined quickplay and ended up with a bunch of underleveled people doing a bot blitz mission. No problems there, but at the end screen I get this.

Thanks quickplay.

I already had all the supers and rare samples I needed to max everything out but that's still ~200 common samples, as well as maxing out all the limits for any future upgrades that might be added.

Getting flashbacks to playing Hunt Showdown and getting one-tapped from someone 200 metres away with iron sights and 300 ms latency, then checking their profile and seeing their username is all Han characters and they have two VAC bans on record

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Owl Inspector posted:

seen a bug 3 times today where I'd randomly get a fake pseudo chest wound out of nowhere, just while running around and not from getting hit or anything. it didn't cause bleeding or show up as a wound on the UI, but it did change my health bar to red and prevented me from regaining stamina + made me say the voice lines as if I had a chest wound. Using a stim would cure it but you can't stim at full health so I had to have someone punch me to regain the ability to sprint.

I've seen that one as well, although I didn't understand what was happening as well as you. Just that my health bar was red and it was advising me to use a stim but I couldn't because I was at full health.

Darox posted:

Thanks quickplay.

drat. I'm sure some people would be happy with this but personally it would make me feel cheated. It's kind of the whole game, moment to moment it's really fun but having that extra layer of progression to grind makes it feel more rewarding. This rear end in a top hat just out there taking that from people.

Play fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 4, 2024

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Darox posted:

Thanks quickplay.

Feel like I just played with someone that had done this. Was max level but somehow easily the worst player I've ever played with. Just doing suicide 7 which is usually pretty chill but he single handily used all our reinforcements, bombed the entire squad once the dropship had landed and jumped on without any of our samples.
I respawned, grabbed them all and dived into it at 0 seconds which saved the day but gently caress I was sweating.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ErKeL posted:

Just doing suicide 7 which is usually pretty chill

Man, I still have to level up my skills. In no way dif 7 is 'pretty chill' for me lol.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
they upped the difficulty of 7-9 recently, previously tmf and i were able to 2man helldiver (9)

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Booty Pageant posted:

I had the exact opposite happen to me earlier.

Was running around with another two pubs who we like level 28 doing helldives and they couldn't stop dying to every bug breach, barely making it out of every mission always with 0 reinforcements. At one point I had a batch of hunters, some warriors, and a brood mother who were chasing after me after I ran in to grab some ammo and grenades at a PoI and then they just blinked out of existence. Only thing I can think of is the pubs set off another bug breach and the game only wanted to have so many enemy ai active at one time so the ones chasing me just get teleported to the breach in a single frame, or simply deleted.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Spookydonut posted:

they upped the difficulty of 7-9 recently, previously tmf and i were able to 2man helldiver (9)

There is some scaling based on player numbers. I never see the amount of enemies playing solo than I see playing with the full squad. I don't think it's fully linear (ie. 4x with 4 players) but there is something...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Turin Turambar posted:

There is some scaling based on player numbers. I never see the amount of enemies playing solo than I see playing with the full squad. I don't think it's fully linear (ie. 4x with 4 players) but there is something...

I think it's just that four players make way more noise.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Another leaked weapon
https://i.imgur.com/rGel7iy.mp4

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Turin Turambar posted:

Man, I still have to level up my skills. In no way dif 7 is 'pretty chill' for me lol.

Some missions are off the wall nuts, even with good teams. Some are a snooze. IDK.

Welp that's my gun for the next million years. Love to be the tryhard machine gunner proning on every rock for COVERING FIRE

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
So my brother and I were playing on impossible over the weekend and we landed in an ICBM mission that had 3 stalker nests.

That was... unpleasant. Everytime we cleared one and thought we were safe another fucker would show up behind us.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
Been playing 2 player coop for the past few days, is there some trick to deal with 3 or 4 chargers when you don’t have the auto cannon or railgun unlocked yet? The jump from difficulty 3 to 4 is kind of brutal when the only effective anti armor weapon is the EAT. We’re both at level 8 right now.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
use EATs on their legs, then shoot the leg, instead of shooting center mass

also you can abuse the armor desync bug if you want(where you can damage their legs with normal guns when they're in the turning around animation after a charge(usually))

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I've bought the recoilless rifle, and should probably give it a test run on a bug mission. It presumably has better armour penetration than the autocannon, which should be useful so I don't need to worry so much about targeting specific weak spots on highly mobile enemies (or about scrambling around the area to pick up my second EAT after firing the first one).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Darth Walrus posted:

I've bought the recoilless rifle, and should probably give it a test run on a bug mission. It presumably has better armour penetration than the autocannon, which should be useful so I don't need to worry so much about targeting specific weak spots on highly mobile enemies (or about scrambling around the area to pick up my second EAT after firing the first one).

Recoilless does a load of damage against everything, but unlike the god tier AC it takes a long time to reload. If you can get a loader it fires extremely quickly and will annihilate anything you look at, but as a gun and backpack man prepare for thrilling reload moments as a charger bears down on you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Darox posted:

Thanks quickplay.

yeah this poo poo sucks, I don’t care if people cheat unlocks for themselves but doing this in public games is lame as gently caress

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Darox posted:

Thanks quickplay.

You can message the devs on discord or elsewhere and they'll remove them for you. Or at least I've seen people say that on reddit

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
If anyone ever wants to test deflection they should use the JAR.

It says medium armor penetration but that gun bounces more than any other ive seen tbh

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Friend and I played with two morons who kept loving around instead of doing the objective and then they kicked us right before extraction. Guess I'm hosting from now on.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

If anyone ever wants to test deflection they should use the JAR.

It says medium armor penetration but that gun bounces more than any other ive seen tbh

I picked up the JAR and tried it on bots and it's pretty good as a marksman rifle that oneshots raiders and can put down basic devastators in a pinch but boy was I disappointed in its ability to kill striders, it bounces constantly.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, JAR I wanted to like but the bullet travel time and deflection tendency turned me off big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Darox posted:

I picked up the JAR and tried it on bots and it's pretty good as a marksman rifle that oneshots raiders and can put down basic devastators in a pinch but boy was I disappointed in its ability to kill striders, it bounces constantly.

And yet it goes through hive guardians and brood commanders armour like it's not there.

From what has been said online there are armour levels from 1-10, and there is some sort of deflection calculation on top of that for oblique angles.

Could be that hive guardian/brood commander is like 4 and walkers are like 5 or 6 which is just past the JAR's penetration capability.